Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

hi i'm midway through hard mode and i just found out you can hold down L1 in the command menu outside of battle to spam heals quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also you can more easily swap materia between characters by pressing R1 on the equipment screen

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This remix reuses the Kitase quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pvtZLn13Es

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i've been watching a bunch of different people stream this game and i've noticed that basically none of them picked up on that Focus Thrust and the other Focus named moves all build up the stagger gauge a ton when an enemy is pressured. please use those moves. bosses are not supposed to be the damage sponges youre making them look like they are

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I am glad I'm apparently good at reading tutorials and menus. Every time someone reveals tips or something they figured out 40 hours in it's something I've known about from the beginning. It's my only saving grace, because I'm not great at actually playing the game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

:hai:
https://twitter.com/cleargatewest/status/1251757971865956357

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Anyone else think Biggs looks and sounds exactly like Charlie Sheen?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Hikaki posted:

Anyone else think Biggs looks and sounds exactly like Charlie Sheen?
Nope.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Invalid Validation posted:

I really do wish the AI did more than sit around and basic attack once in a while.

The counter to this is that the AI are really, really good at defending themselves. Partly because the monsters tend to attack whoever the player is controlling, but they always dodge or block when they need to.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Can't wait for speedruns of this game.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

idk if speedruns are gonna be very good. optimizing combat will be cool but theres not really any interesting movement outside of that and theres a lot of forced walking. would like to be wrong though

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

So much of the music in this game reminded me of the Overclocked remixes, for good and bad. I feel like a number of the tracks lost some personality when they were rearranged for strings instead of the original synths. The FF7R version of Hurry! was most notable to me while I was running through the tunnel after jumping off the train because that flurry of notes right before the song loops just doesn't feel the same.

That said, I really liked the dynamic music that would change to match the events going on either becoming more intense or more pared down. Credit to Masashi Hamauzu for that because I typically feel like his works are hard to tell apart from each other. The FFXIII soundtrack was definitely like that with the exception of Blinded by Light, naturally.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sharrrk posted:

idk if speedruns are gonna be very good. optimizing combat will be cool but theres not really any interesting movement outside of that and theres a lot of forced walking. would like to be wrong though

I could see people finding some cool skips in glitch runs. I'm sure someone will find a way to get straight into the sewers from Wall Market.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, some things:

Tifa is a loving Stagger Button with boobs, holy poo poo. Also, fit her out with a deadly dodge+hp absorb, and Parry, and she becomes a Street Fighter character with das

Switch between your party members, Haste doesn't do nearly as much as a few seconds of control to boost AT gauge and set up attacks. Allies don't feel like they do much on their own, either.

The ending is...so much.

I was going to possibly talk with a friend about it who is a huge fan, any goons want in on a friendly conversation this weekend? Might stream it, too, if anyone is interested in watching.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I never bothered to farm moogle medals from that kids game in the slums.

I bought everything bar the skill books, but have I missed a trick by not doing that or is there a bountiful supply of them later on I can get much quicker?

I'm on the next chapter but it seems like there's not really an option to go back to old areas so far.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

^^ in chapter 14 there'll be a sidequest that gets you a ton of moogle medals, and the option to buy stuff from moggie.

Those looking to step into hard mode. Elemental Lightning on defense trivializes a bunch of the guard scorpion's attacks.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Kin posted:

I bought everything bar the skill books, but have I missed a trick by not doing that or is there a bountiful supply of them later on I can get much quicker?

I'm on the next chapter but it seems like there's not really an option to go back to old areas so far.

You'll definitely want to get the skill books. You can shop with him again, but not until chapter 14, I think, so it'll be a while.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Kin posted:

You'll get to go back there later on and by then you'll have more medals than you'll ever need

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Holy loving poo poo the Hell House fight was so much fun, I'm going through it slowly because of work but I loving love this game!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Veib posted:

You'll get to go back there later on and by then you'll have more medals than you'll ever need

No, you'll grind the loving whack a box game to buy all that poo poo in Chapter 8 like my completionist rear end did. :pseudo:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

anakha posted:

No, you'll grind the loving whack a box game to buy all that poo poo in Chapter 8 like my completionist rear end did. :pseudo:

And then discover there's a harder version later that you (read: I) have to replay a million times to get the top spot anyway.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Schwartzcough posted:

And then discover there's a harder version later that you (read: I) have to replay a million times to get the top spot anyway.

That loving game.

My pro tip for that would be to ignore the 1500 boxes that aren't blocking your path, and make a beeline for the time bonuses.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Another tip: Iron blade and triple slash make the 1500 boxes trivial. Just save your atb for those.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I guess in my millions of retries I should've tried something besides Braver (which has a tendency of having Cloud slide past the boxes if you didn't jamb him in a corner first). And I probably should've used Deadly Dodge. Live and learn.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Also Chadley sounds like a name Griffin Mcelroy came up with. Not saying this is isn't a good thing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

anakha posted:

Another tip: Iron blade and triple slash make the 1500 boxes trivial. Just save your atb for those.

That's weird, when I did it my abilities were limited to braver and focus thrust, despite having unlocked the rest.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

stev posted:

That's weird, when I did it my abilities were limited to braver and focus thrust, despite having unlocked the rest.

You need to actually equip the weapon that has the ability you want to use, ie. Iron Blade for Triple Slash and so on

Veib fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 21, 2020

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

stev posted:

Whack a box limits your moves to Braver and whatever your equipped sword has, so you pick whatever skill helps the most.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BisbyWorl posted:

Whack a box limits your moves to Braver and whatever your equipped sword has, so you pick whatever skill helps the most.

Ah gently caress, ok.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Wall Market: when I went to rescue cloud I took a left and started down some stairs to what looked like a basement/dungeon area. But my memory from the original was foggy so I thought I was headed to the sewers and turned back and rescued cloud without going down the stairs all the way.

Did I miss anything important? I’m big on exploring every corner but sometimes it burns me.

Woofer fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 21, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Woofer posted:

Wall Market: when I went to rescue cloud I took a left and started down some stairs to what looked like a basement/dungeon area. But my memory from the original was foggy so I thought I was headed to the sewers and turned back and rescued cloud without going down the stairs all the way.

Did I miss anything important? I’m big on exploring every corner but sometimes it burns me.

You should be able to revisit that area in Chapter 14.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Man playing in hard mode sure does make me wish there were less points the game where they slow you to a crawl.

I honestly wish hard mode let me just skip straight to points where I have proper control.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also it was mentioned forever ago, but no, I can't see any real purpose to that mysterious green jar in Madam's house. She just yells at Aerith to keep her grubby hands off of it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I want everyone lamenting the fact that this won’t be a one-to-one remake of the original to look back at the Wall Market chapter, and how much of the wonderful stuff in that chapter literally didn’t even remotely happen in the original game, and then slap themselves in the face.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Augus posted:

I want everyone lamenting the fact that this won’t be a one-to-one remake of the original to look back at the Wall Market chapter, and how much of the wonderful stuff in that chapter literally didn’t even remotely happen in the original game, and then slap themselves in the face.

It's the rapid descent into Kingdom Hearts bullshit that has us worried.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Necrothatcher posted:

Good thing the game ends with them literally murdering the kingdom hearts bullshit then

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Necrothatcher posted:

Question, Necro. Do you play Kingdom Hearts?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Onmi posted:

Question, Necro. Do you play Kingdom Hearts?

I played the first and second one back in the day, but what I saw of KH3 turned me off and I didn't bother with it.

Augus posted:

Good thing the game ends with them literally murdering the kingdom hearts bullshit then

I admire your optimism.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

I played the first and second one back in the day, but what I saw of KH3 turned me off and I didn't bother with it.

then you don't know kingdom hearts bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

then you don't know kingdom hearts bullshit

I've seen youtube videos man. Like, I don't need to visit Chernobyl to know it's a radioactive mess, same as I don't need to play KH3.