Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Highly likely, since it may never leave your possession, they'll just send a replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

disaster pastor posted:

I've had a G Pro Wireless for ~5 months that's started to miss clicks or double-click the middle button. Scrolling is fine. Am I likely to be able to get that replaced under warranty, and how likely am I to see it again if they replace it?

Likely to both.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

disaster pastor posted:

I've had a G Pro Wireless for ~5 months that's started to miss clicks or double-click the middle button. Scrolling is fine. Am I likely to be able to get that replaced under warranty, and how likely am I to see it again if they replace it?
My g703 with 16k started double clicking on lmb up before I even reached a month. Also will register random clicks/double clicks while just holding the button down. It started doing it on mouse up in the first week but I thought I was just clicking twice.

I'm not even sure if I want to go through with the RMA process because they'll want me to send my current mouse back. Also not sure if I want to open it up and do work on it myself when I could just RMA it. If it were out of warranty I'd have no problem with opening it up.

Besides being way too small and not wireless, I had a much better experience with the g203. It has been going strong for well over a year. G703's LoD is too low and not adjustable while the G203's LoD is perfect. G703 is giving me flashbacks to the g5 & g100s which were "rma 6+ times in 1 year" territory mice to the point I gave the rmad g5 away as a gift because its sensor was significantly worse than the 518's anyway. Compared to mx510 which worked until the cable literally broke and the mx518 which is still working 15 years later.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 25, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I feel like it's time to repost a link to this video. I'll say once again that I'm not an EE, but his claims about the source of the problems, especially the point about reduced voltages in modern mice being below what's necessary to run cheap switches effectively seem extremely likely to be true.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

K8.0 posted:

I feel like it's time to repost a link to this video. I'll say once again that I'm not an EE, but his claims about the source of the problems, especially the point about reduced voltages in modern mice being below what's necessary to run cheap switches effectively seem extremely likely to be true.
This video is good. I knew a lot of what he covered, but I didn't even consider they were running switches way out of spec. Logitech in particular has issues for me compared to some other brands. Every switch, keyboard or mouse, will have problems after 1-x years of use. Logitech mice frequently have them practically out of the box which is something I haven't experienced with other brands despite everyone using more or less the same switches. At this point it has been around 8 logitech mice that had clicking issues in under 3 months while with ~5 other mice, mostly CM and one Zowie, it took around 18-24 months to exhibit clicking issues.

I did have an Asus mouse just outright die a few days after the warranty ended. That was a unique experience, because outside of the cord breaking on my mx510 after 5 years I've never had a mouse die.

I don't believe his claims about polling rate because people have been using 1000Hz since at least 2001. And setting faulty mice to 125Hz doesn't provide a debounce effect at all. I can still get my g703 to click 3x on mouse up at 125Hz, for example. And testing with a few other mice that have clicking issues they exhibit the same behavior as well with no notable difference in clicks. He also didn't explicitly test that claim and just assumed switch state would be polled more frequently and register more up/down events. I could not reproduce that claim at all.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 25, 2020

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
And yet every Logitech mouse I have had has gone 3+ years before they developed click issues. :iiam:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Koskun posted:

And yet every Logitech mouse I have had has gone 3+ years before they developed click issues. :iiam:
Yeah, but which mice? Click issues are fine and even expected after actual wear and tear. Double/triple clicking on mouseup within a few days of purchasing and getting progressively worse in a month of ownership is unacceptably bad and only logitech has ever had that problem for me. I've owned around 18 mice, not counting RMAs which brings it up to over 30.

Logitech mice that have been awful:

G5 first gen - Took 3 RMAs to get one that worked, but despite being newer and more expensive this was a downgrade from the mx518 so I gave it away.
G100s - had somewhere between 5 and 8 with click issues within a year of purchasing the first one before I just gave up. Made me give up on logitech until the g203/g703.
G703 - 1/1 bad practically out of the box, pretty awful track record for a $100 mouse

Logitech mice that have been good:

The original shape that would become the mx300/mx310 later
mx510 - will outlast almost anything except for the cord
mx518 - will outlast almost anything
g203 - no hardware complaints after 1 year of heavy use, but lots of people are having double click issues with it

It also probably depends how you click. On my g703 I can get it to double click pretty consistently if I hold down the button in the center or on the right side of the left mouse button. If I press it on the left side and hold it I can't get it to double click. If I press it harder than necessary to actuate it won't double click even if I back off slowly. I also tend to click more toward the right side of the lmb. Even when I press it at the center, the press is sort of 30 degrees down+right. The tip of my finger doesn't even make it to the end of the scroll in terms of where I'm pressing the key in the front to back direction.

Meaning, if I gave this mouse to someone else there's a pretty good chance they wouldn't have click issues.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 25, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Khorne posted:

It also probably depends how you click. On my g703 I can get it to double click pretty consistently if I hold down the button in the center or on the right side of the left mouse button. If I press it on the left side and hold it I can't get it to double click. If I press it harder than necessary to actuate it won't double click even if I back off slowly. I also tend to click more toward the right side of the lmb. Even when I press it at the center, the press is sort of 30 degrees down+right. The tip of my finger doesn't even make it to the end of the scroll in terms of where I'm pressing the key in the front to back direction.

You're absolutely right about this, every aspect of how you click a mouse can affect it's function. I've had multiple occasions where a mouse is consistently malfunctioning for one person, but another person will get normal behavior out of it. I've also found that the way you break a mouse in can affect it, and that sometimes a mouse that has begun behaving weirdly for me will stop if I do things like press the button in, wiggle it around, and slide my finger around on the button while maintaining force on it.

Personally I've not seen increased failure rates on modern mice, but that's probably due to the particulars of how I use my mice.

Also completely agree with you that the video is wrong about the 1000hz thing.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Khorne posted:

Yeah, but which mice? Click issues are fine and even expected after actual wear and tear. Double/triple clicking on mouseup within a few days of purchasing and getting progressively worse in a month of ownership is unacceptably bad and only logitech has ever had that problem for me. I've owned around 18 mice, not counting RMAs which brings it up to over 30.

Apologies for the snark. My current mouse is a G700. It did develop a right-click issue about a year in, but that ended up being dust/debris in the switch. Before that was the MX1000 I think it was called. The one with the half a wheel on the side. Before that was and MX something LAZER!!!.

The Master (might have been 1000, I forget the naming setups they go with) did end up with right-click issues, well out of warranty, and Logitech just sent me the G700 as a replacement. The other ones I retired because they had those "non-replaceable" batteries, and would only hold a charge for a few hours at best at the end.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Had a G903 that developed bad clicks and double clicks. Logitech Warranty took care of me without having to send it in for them to send me a replacement. Also, I was out of warranty by a month or two.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I haven't really been keeping track of this segment at all for a long time, but what are the current consensus best large mice? I hurt my hand doing something else and right now fingertipping is kinda painful. I'm looking for something with a fat rear end that will help hold up the back of my hand.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

K8.0 posted:

I haven't really been keeping track of this segment at all for a long time, but what are the current consensus best large mice? I hurt my hand doing something else and right now fingertipping is kinda painful. I'm looking for something with a fat rear end that will help hold up the back of my hand.
The best mouse I've ever owned: https://www.ebay.com/c/1125525488

Lookit dat rear end:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I just bought a bunch of backup MS wheel mouse opticals. The Kinzus are just all over the place for me in terms of finding ones in decent shape with the right texture and I've had 1 fail already. Am I one of the only people left on this planet that prefers no side buttons and a relatively simple profile?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You, my friend, are of a dying breed. May as well get used to having forward/back in a web browser under your thumb.

You also might as well get one of the new Intellimouse Nostalgia Edition mice.

https://blogs.windows.com/devices/2018/06/26/a-legend-reborn-microsoft-brings-back-the-iconic-mouse-the-classic-intellimouse/

Or the even newer "Pro" edition, though what "pro" gets you is not my wheelhouse, I was always in the Logitech camp. But this should help:

https://blogs.windows.com/devices/2019/05/28/announcing-the-microsoft-pro-intellimouse/

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 1, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You, my friend, are of a dying breed. May as well get used to having forward/back in a web browser under your thumb.

https://blogs.windows.com/devices/2018/06/26/a-legend-reborn-microsoft-brings-back-the-iconic-mouse-the-classic-intellimouse/

I think I still have the original of that and I stopped using it because it had too many buttons. Forward/back in browse has always been 100% unintentional whenever I had a mouse with those buttons. Right handed mouse I would always move too close to laptop/keyboard and bump my thumb into those buttons causing an unintentional navigation and losing some block of text I had just typed.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Or the even newer "Pro" edition, though what "pro" gets you is not my wheelhouse, I was always in the Logitech camp. But this should help:

https://blogs.windows.com/devices/2019/05/28/announcing-the-microsoft-pro-intellimouse/
These legit look really nice actually.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I bought a whole bunch of these cheap old MS Wheel Mouse Opticals because they're the only mouse my hands like anymore. Took them all apart and cleaned out the 2 decades of human slime in a soap water bath with a toothbrush.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Can anyone recommend a good ergonomic lefty mouse? A friend's left-handed Razer Deathadder broke and it seems like it's no longer being produced, and most mouse manufacturers seem to just focus on right handed and ambidextrous mice for obvious reasons.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Another MX518 with debounce issues on button release not six months from my last warranty service.

Alright, Logitech, this poo poo is starting to get loving ridiculous. I'm getting tired of these poo poo omrons. At this point I hope Logitech are at least looking into optical switches.

edit: No, what the hell am I talking about. Logitech, loving knock it off with the goddamn Chinese omrons and go back to the Japanese ones, you fucks.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 12, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I bought a loving Viper Ultimate just to not have to deal with lovely switches. You know it's apocalyptic when a professional Razer hater is buying their products.

That said, I'm pretty sure I've already experienced a few double-clicks from the scroll wheel, so shoutouts to Razer's perpetually high standards.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 12, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm actually starting to do research into drop-in switch alternatives that I can just solder in place. Japanese ones look like they're taller than the chinese ones because reasons which will necessitate modification of the body to shorten the plunger-pusher thingies, which means it's a one-way trip, and if you gently caress up, you're done.

Conveniently, there appears to be a Kailh switch that's a 100% knockoff of the Omron switch that's allegedly better and requires no other modification other than desoldering and soldering new ones in place.

Only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger without thinking is that I can either pay $3.50 per switch on Amazon, or $8 for a set of 6 on Aliexpress, but then I have to sign up for aliexpress. =T

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 12, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Aliexpress owns and you should use it, but also you might want to consider that it will probably take 2 loving months for anything you buy there to get here, and that's if coronavirus panic ends tomorrow.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm looking at late may for deliveries everywhere.

I'm actually more annoyed that I can't get these switches off like, Digikey or Mouser or ArrowCal (Veri-Arrow?) or some poo poo.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 12, 2020

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm actually starting to do research into drop-in switch alternatives that I can just solder in place. Japanese ones look like they're taller than the chinese ones because reasons which will necessitate modification of the body to shorten the plunger-pusher thingies, which means it's a one-way trip, and if you gently caress up, you're done.

Conveniently, there appears to be a Kailh switch that's a 100% knockoff of the Omron switch that's allegedly better and requires no other modification other than desoldering and soldering new ones in place.

Only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger without thinking is that I can either pay $3.50 per switch on Amazon, or $8 for a set of 6 on Aliexpress, but then I have to sign up for aliexpress. =T

I'm actually going to tackle this in the near future on my first G703, and I came to the conclusions you have. I think the Kailh reds are going to be the best choice overall (they get glowing reviews from everyone who's modded with them) but to give myself some options I bought some of two other micro-load switches that should be more appropriate than the D2FC-07s that are used in pretty much all consumer mice nowadays, the D2F-01F and D2F-01. They all happen to be the same height, by the way, including the Kailhs, and I don't yet know how much taller they are than the stock Chinese switches:

Really the only nuisance about this whole process to me is having to go through the glides to open up the mouse; soldering and disassembling the rest of the mouse isn't a big problem for me. I'd rather not remove the glides and then be unable to properly reattach them, so I'm thinking of drilling a hole through them, which would then make it easier to redo the process in the future (I just plan on replacing the faulty RMB at the moment, probably with the lower-force -01, and then if I have to do the LMB I'll go with the -01F which has double the actuation force.)

I'll let you guys know how it goes; maybe I'll remember to take photos of the process!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Atomizer posted:

I'm actually going to tackle this in the near future on my first G703, and I came to the conclusions you have. I think the Kailh reds are going to be the best choice overall (they get glowing reviews from everyone who's modded with them) but to give myself some options I bought some of two other micro-load switches that should be more appropriate than the D2FC-07s that are used in pretty much all consumer mice nowadays, the D2F-01F and D2F-01. They all happen to be the same height, by the way, including the Kailhs, and I don't yet know how much taller they are than the stock Chinese switches:

Really the only nuisance about this whole process to me is having to go through the glides to open up the mouse; soldering and disassembling the rest of the mouse isn't a big problem for me. I'd rather not remove the glides and then be unable to properly reattach them, so I'm thinking of drilling a hole through them, which would then make it easier to redo the process in the future (I just plan on replacing the faulty RMB at the moment, probably with the lower-force -01, and then if I have to do the LMB I'll go with the -01F which has double the actuation force.)

I'll let you guys know how it goes; maybe I'll remember to take photos of the process!

Check your PMs, please.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Looking for a nice wireless mouse (my desk is cramped and wires bunch up) with reliable clickers, lightweight, with maybe 2 or 3 side buttons but no more than that, and a really good scroll wheel. Mostly productivity, some game-ing but not seriously competitive. Budget is under 100, no exceptions.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
MX Anywhere is excellent if you don't mind a smaller mouse.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I think the Omron switches in my Kone Pure Ultra are a bit dicky. Often, I will hold them down, then they will unclick and reclick without me doing anything. Returning it to the vendor is not an option, so I've bought some kailh red switches to replace them with. I haven't soldered anything since I was 16, but a friend of mine was a telco technician for years and has offered to do it to make sure I don't break the AU$135 mouse. I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on replacing switches for someone who's never had to do it, or maybe has specifically worked with this mouse?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Neurosis posted:

I think the Omron switches in my Kone Pure Ultra are a bit dicky. Often, I will hold them down, then they will unclick and reclick without me doing anything. Returning it to the vendor is not an option, so I've bought some kailh red switches to replace them with. I haven't soldered anything since I was 16, but a friend of mine was a telco technician for years and has offered to do it to make sure I don't break the AU$135 mouse. I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on replacing switches for someone who's never had to do it, or maybe has specifically worked with this mouse?

Aw, man. I have a Kone Pure Ultra and I've noticed the same thing, but it happens very rarely and I thought I might just not be clicking hard enough.

I'm not gonna mess around with soldering so I'll return it if it becomes an issue, but hopefully it won't. I really love this mouse otherwise, it's the perfect size and shape for me and I'm very particular about those things (I can't handle 12cm mice, they feel too big for my fingertip grip).

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Elman posted:

Aw, man. I have a Kone Pure Ultra and I've noticed the same thing, but it happens very rarely and I thought I might just not be clicking hard enough.

I'm not gonna mess around with soldering so I'll return it if it becomes an issue, but hopefully it won't. I really love this mouse otherwise, it's the perfect size and shape for me and I'm very particular about those things (I can't handle 12cm mice, they feel too big for my fingertip grip).

Same deal with me - it's intermittent. I thought maybe it was how hard I was clicking too because it doesn't seem to happen when I concentrate on clicking hard. But if that's the case, that seems like suboptimal design too, since I don't want to have to adjust my clicking style when it's never been a problem with any mouse before.

I emailed Roccat to ask and they thought it was a problem with the switches as well. I'm not sure how much to trust that, though - I've heard their after-market care is kind of garbage.

At any rate, assuming I don't fry the PCB, I'll let you know how it goes once I replace the switches.

The fact you got it as well does make me wonder if it really is just something peculiar with the design of the mouse rather than the switches. They use Omrons - overwhelmingly the most common switches. For both of us to get the same defect with a new mouse with a standard part like Omrons would be odd (unless there was one run of Omrons which were bad that were used in early KPUs).

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 16, 2020

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Ok, it's done, and I almost wish I'd gotten the 'rona instead. I mean it wasn't that bad, but it was difficult enough where it was frustrating, and I don't want to have to do it very often; I'd originally only intended to replace the faulty RMB and then wait to do the LMB when that started to fail, but halfway through I decided to do both seeing how difficult disassembly/reassembly was going to be. I took some photos, but there already are some good, more complete resources so I'll only share a few with my thoughts.

The full album is here, but I'll embed with comments:

I drilled through the glides to access the screws so I wouldn't have to either reattach them or replace them entirely; as mentioned, I'd intended to just replace one switch and do the other when needed, but changed plans when I realized it'd be difficult to have to do this multiple times. I don't regret going this route, but don't be a dumbass like me, make sure you know where the holes are before drilling! :downs: Here's what it looks like after boring out the holes:

I was able to unscrew all 4 screws and they ended up being held captive underneath the glides, which was a nice bonus as I usually lose some screws by the time I go to reassemble a device! After opening the mouse:

Not pictured, but note that the very front of the mouse has this piece down the center (ahead of the scroll wheel) that kind of hooks the top half over the bottom half, and was difficult to separate. Also there are additional clips along the sides around the mouse holding the halves together.

This connector joins the upper & lower halves:

You have to lift that black piece in the red box straight up to open the connector to remove the ZIF cable. Now, the top pieces of the shell, removed:

A wave of dread washed over me when I realized the side & top switches all use Chinese Omrons:

I'm not looking forward to having to replace upwards of 5 switches in this mouse alone, should the eventuality arrive. :suicide: I was able to replace the main switches without fully disassembling the top half. Note that the side switches (the "back" one being mounted in reverse due to the button/switch positioning) and I believe the top DPI switch use different Omrons than the main switches:

I most certainly did not get "50M" actuations out of these switches (specifically the RMB one); it started acting up within a year of purchase, with only a day or two of usage per week. :rolleyes:

Of course this photo is out of focus, but in my defense I could've used an extra pair of hands throughout this whole process:

Note the original switch, still attached to the board, is the same height as the replacement ones. I don't know where this "the Japanese switches are taller" nonsense comes from. A shot of the switches from the top; the original has that blue piece, the replacement is beige:

Finally, the new switches in situ:

So again, this is not a thorough documentation of the whole process, as others have done that job already as linked above. (And also, a lot of other mice use Chinese Omrons and will need the above type of replacement work done anyway.) The desoldering was by far the most difficult part, as I didn't have enough hands to hold everything, and the solder didn't flow very well into the desoldering braid/wick (also, I forgot to use flux. :3:) This was followed in difficulty by reassembly; there are a bunch of tiny screws, some in deep recesses that were extremely difficult to replace. The original disassembly was fairly straightforward by comparison, although again I only had to disassemble about 1/4-1/3 of the entire mouse as I did the soldering with the top half still attached. And the soldering, finally, was definitely the easiest part; I have experience with that and the only hiccup was that I used too much solder on the 2nd switch (the LMB) but that was fairly easy to rectify as the new solder flowed way more readily (I think it has a rosin core; it came in a ~$15 soldering iron kit, I've only used it twice, and I'm happy with the purchase.)

One more thing of note: during the desoldering process in particular you definitely have to take care not to desolder those smaller connections between the board & ribbon cable.

As planned, I used the D2F-01 for the LMB and the D2F-01F for the RMB; the difference is 1.5 N and 0.75 N of actuation force, respectively. Most mouse switches use the latter, but just from playing around with the reassembled mouse, I think I actually prefer the higher force. The difference is subtle, but noticeable; if you didn't know specifically what I'd done, you'd still be able to feel that the buttons are different. It's all kind of moot though, because only this one micro-load switch has that higher force, and as I wrote, the rest of the acceptable options (including the Kailh Reds) are all 0.75 N.

I haven't actually played with the mouse yet, as I finished the process right before composing this post; I'll have a gaming session with it tomorrow and will share my thoughts. Also, the glides on the bottom are still mostly intact. They're a little scratchier, but I can work on smoothing out the edges in the future. I don't regret the drilling process.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
very cool. How come you didnt just peel off the feet and use new adhesive? Do you feel it seems worth the effort on a g703?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 21, 2020

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

very cool. How come you didnt just peel off the feet and use new adhesive? Do you feel it seems worth the effort on a g703?

I figured if I had to detach & reattach the glides with new adhesive, one of two things could go wrong:
- The adhesive might not be reapplied perfectly evenly, and may start to detach the feet at certain points (so in other words, it'd start to fall off versus the known good status of the original glides & adhesive.) I had this in mind because of past experiences: the first part was an issue with reattaching speaker grilles on a phone, and the 2nd part was with the rubber strips underneath my Chromebook falling off.
- The glides might get warped during removal (either due to stripping them straight off or after using a heat gun) and then not be able to be reapplied evenly.

So I guess, in other words, I wasn't confident of my ability to remove & perfectly reapply the glides.

Also, the G703 is still a ~$100 MSRP mouse, even if I only paid $70 total for it, and got a 2nd as a warranty replacement (so 2 for the price of 1,) and you can buy it "renewed" on Amazon right now for ~$65 after tax. I think it's still "good enough" to be worth repairing (and, assuming it does work perfectly tomorrow when I actually try it out,) and I use its replacement* as my main gaming mouse anyways. I could certainly just sell one of them and make some money back. Mostly, though, this process was practice for having to do it on an even more expensive mouse, like the $150 G Pro wireless or G502 Lightspeed wireless, or even more expensive Razer mice like the Mamba Hyperflux or Basilisk Ultimate Hyperspeed. Many of these mice use the same Chinese Omron switches which are almost certain to fail because they're the wrong choice for the application, so your choices are to either throw the mice away and buy brand new ones, or replace the switches. Going through this process on what's either a free or $35 mouse (depending on your perspective) is a good way to prepare for the next time I have to do it. (Also, I could potentially do this as a service if the price was right!)

*And, continuing to address your question on the G703, the replacement I mentioned feels like the RMB is failing the same way! It's not as bad as the original mouse got, but it does seem like occasionally it'll double-click, and neither of the mice did that when they were new. So when it gets to the point where the 2nd mouse isn't usable because of that failing switch, what should I do? Throw both of them away? Or try to repair the first one, so that I can either get it (and eventually, the other one) working, or at least get the technique down to hopefully successfully repair one of the mice after a 2nd try?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah i had it mixed with the cheaper g603. At 100 its worth at least trying.

If you want to reapply adhesive you cant go wrong with 3M double sided tape for interior trim. Spray on adhesive is also excellent when level even coverage is important

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Getting spray-on adhesive in those channels without overspray would require some careful masking, and similarly trimming double-sided tape to fit would take some more time & effort (and not necessarily less than I spent drilling through soft material.) I think the results would ultimately be fine, but I'd be more inclined to do the drilling method if I'd expected to have to open it up again; I'd reapply some form of adhesive (and possibly new glides) if I expected not to have to go in there ever again.

And again it was more about the process than the original cost/value of the mouse; if I was trying to learn some delicate procedure I'd do it on some cheap PoS equipment because then I'd definitely not care if I messed it up. As it stands, the mouse I "experimented upon" was nigh unusable anyways, so in the best case scenario it went from broken to very good condition.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
decant the spray into a jar and use a q-tip. i have done it on logitech mouse feet in that shape and thickness

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Cool project; thanks for sharing the pictures. I'd be a little worried about sharp edges in the glides around the drill holes causing some drag/snag (and/or a scratchy sound while moving the mouse, depending on mousing surface). Have you run into that or did it come out pretty even around the drill holes?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Bought a Rival 3 to use at the quarantine WFH desk and it's really good for $30

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Atomizer posted:

Getting spray-on adhesive in those channels without overspray would require some careful masking, and similarly trimming double-sided tape to fit would take some more time & effort (and not necessarily less than I spent drilling through soft material.) I think the results would ultimately be fine, but I'd be more inclined to do the drilling method if I'd expected to have to open it up again; I'd reapply some form of adhesive (and possibly new glides) if I expected not to have to go in there ever again.

And again it was more about the process than the original cost/value of the mouse; if I was trying to learn some delicate procedure I'd do it on some cheap PoS equipment because then I'd definitely not care if I messed it up. As it stands, the mouse I "experimented upon" was nigh unusable anyways, so in the best case scenario it went from broken to very good condition.
I'd recommend never taking off the g703's feet with the intention of putting them back on. I've taken the feet off of tons of mice, I've punched through feet with a screwdriver with tons of mice, and g703 with 16k hero's adhesive just doesn't come off. I had to rip the feet off, scrape at the adhesive/lowest layer while applying a bunch of isopropyl alcohol, and it still took at least 10 minutes to get the mouse clean. I was putting on aftermarket skates so it didn't matter, but if I were just opening the mouse up I'd have been forced to buy aftermarket skates and use a different mouse until they arrived.

Maybe a heat gun would help, I am not sure. With most other mice you can take the feet off and just put them back on by simply rubbing your finger across it a few times while applying pressure. No adhesive needed. Usually works 2-3 times before they start to peel.

The other big issue is if your adhesive adds any height at all to the feet you're at risk of the mouse just not tracking. And LoD isn't available to adjust with the 16k hero sensor. The second biggest flaw of the modern logitech mice is not allowing adjustable lod, because the stock lod is just too low for certain surfaces and rules out certain aftermarket skates.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I grabbed a new g703 lightspeed a while back. I have an issue where the mouse will randomly jump to one corner of the screen. This is a huge issue while gaming as my guy will look straight up or down and start spinning. Any idea on what might be causing that?