Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

bolind posted:

OF THE BUCKET TRUCK

Looks like it’s ex-NTT West, so a former phone/internet line truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

When all this COVID poo poo is over I really need to drive over and see your collection of misfit toys. That camper is amazing.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

When all this COVID poo poo is over I really need to drive over and see your collection of misfit toys. That camper is amazing.

Any time, or if you want a drive message me and I’d be glad to leave everything unlocked for you that I have at home and put something out front for you to drive. Social distancing style.

everdave fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 16, 2020

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Very jealous of your low mileage camper...mine is still in the shop :/

Please do a video walkthrough of it!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Man, that Bluebird is just killer. Those Minilites are perfect. gently caress.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

RAISE THE BUCKET MOTHERFUCKER

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, repainted, diesel, steering wheel worn and peeling, signage, undercarriage surface rust and paint, left and right baffle slightly bent, interior dirty burns and stains, cargo area dents scratches surface rust, small chips in windshield, other dents scratches, tail lens cracked

Inspection Report posted:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, timing belt sticker at 74,139km, no sludge, coolant ok, rear diff slightly oily but not dripping, baffle areas just slightly bent, tires worn, spare ok, cargo area dents and scratches but slight surface rust only, undercarriage slight surface rust, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, seats worn, drivers seat 1 burn hole, steering wheel worn, dashboard glue remains, ceiling liner ok, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, lights ok, power steering ok, wipers ok, only painted on outside door jams/engine bay/truck bed original color

While it isn't as 'lol holy poo poo' as everdave's bucket truck we did snag a work truck of our own. 1994 Toyota Hilux single cab. 5 speed manual 2.8 liter non-turbo diesel 4x4 with AC. Vinyl bench seat and 110,000 km, or a bit under 69,000 (nice) miles. No idea what it says under the tape but boy is it going to make someone very happy.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

RAISE THE BUCKET MOTHERFUCKER

I am going to there will be pics and videos! Just want to make sure hydraulics full of oil before i burn anything up.

Can't go wrong on a 5 speed diesel HiLux!!!!!! Congrats! Can't wait to see it cleaned up.

Hey on the diesel Surf I won it has dual batteries, have you seen that on a HiLux, is it normal or a more rare bonus?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Can we get a tour of that Camper?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

everdave posted:

I am going to there will be pics and videos! Just want to make sure hydraulics full of oil before i burn anything up.

Check where the boom bolts to the turntable, and where the bucket attaches to the boom before you uncradle it. They should have torque marks on the heads to make sure they haven't moved.

Also I would suggest using the lower controls to pre-flight a complete rotation before getting in it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

angryrobots posted:

Check where the boom bolts to the turntable, and where the bucket attaches to the boom before you uncradle it. They should have torque marks on the heads to make sure they haven't moved.

Also I would suggest using the lower controls to pre-flight a complete rotation before getting in it.

I have a guy coming over in the next few days to check the hydraulics, but no controls in the bucket! But there may be a remote hopefully there is a lot of stuff in compartments. Under a side panel is a giant control panel like you would see on a big old flat bed wrecker

Rhyno posted:

Can we get a tour of that Camper?

Yes it will be coming will try to this weekend! I think it was pretty thoroughly searched for drugs all the seat cushions and stuff are in disarray...let me try to tidy it up before i post more about it...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'd suggest none of that is sufficient to actually get into that bucket unless a recent inspection/certification is found.

Unless you know how to inspect cranes you shouldn't be inspecting cranes. You can look for the big stuff, you can maybe test it out from the ground, but nobody should be getting in without extensive inspection (including fluid analysis and replacement) of a "history unknown" bucket.

Or you could just send it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Motronic posted:

I'd suggest none of that is sufficient to actually get into that bucket unless a recent inspection/certification is found.

Unless you know how to inspect cranes you shouldn't be inspecting cranes. You can look for the big stuff, you can maybe test it out from the ground, but nobody should be getting in without extensive inspection (including fluid analysis and replacement) of a "history unknown" bucket.

I'm getting in the bucket, really don't have a choice

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

everdave posted:

I'm getting in the bucket, really don't have a choice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIrWyr3HgXI

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Motronic posted:

I'm not disagreeing with full caution, but man lifts including bucket trucks, even ones rated for high voltage don't get regularly certified for lifting (or require any licensing to operate) like cranes do.

At least, not nationally in the US.

Edit- my point being is that you won't be able to get any sort of certification, but by all means get someone qualified to inspect it.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 16, 2020

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Please make a camper video tour before you self-sacrifice for goon bucket cravings.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

French Canadian posted:

Please make a camper video tour before you self-sacrifice for goon bucket cravings.

Will do. Did I post of another camper I acquired that is still in Japan...

when I said things were getting crazy I wasn't joking. In Japan I have an absolute beast of a Toyota 4wd diesel 5 speed fire truck, 4WD Homy with power curtains and like 14k miles, and an amazing diesel Surf. plus this guy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

everdave fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 16, 2020

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Dibs on the Bluebird if he goes splat.

Please don't go splat.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Have the auctions slowed down at all or are 'deals' more common right now because of all of the poo poo going on?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

angryrobots posted:

I'm not disagreeing with full caution, but man lifts including bucket trucks, even ones rated for high voltage don't get regularly certified for lifting (or require any licensing to operate) like cranes do.

At least, not nationally in the US.

Edit- my point being is that you won't be able to get any sort of certification, but by all means get someone qualified to inspect it.

No, you're right it's not big enough to get an actual state/federal certification in the US (but there are private certs required for various insurance). I dont' know if that's a think in Japan so I was just suggesting that if it were a thing it might be a way to know the last time someone who knows what they are looking at deemed it safe.

But do you know what IS a certification available in the US? OPERATING a bucket truck. If everdave hasn't got any experience operating bucket trucks this is NOT the one to start on. He won't even know if it's working right or not before getting into trouble without some experience in actual known working ones. And with no experience basic things like properly setting outriggers aren't exactly something you want to figure out on your own.

Sorry I'm being cautious, but with my background in large cranes (attached to fire trucks or not) and industrial rescue/accidents I'd feel like absolute poo poo to have read this, said nothing, and then found out about an accident.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 17, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Motronic posted:

No, you're right it's not big enough to get an actual state/federal certification in the US (but there are private certs required for various insurance). I dont' know if that's a think in Japan so I was just suggesting that if it were a thing it might be a way to know the last time someone who knows what they are looking at deemed it safe.

But do you know what IS a certification available in the US? OPERATING a bucket truck. If everdave hasn't got any experience operating bucket trucks this is NOT the one to start on. He won't even know if it's working right or not before getting into trouble without some experience in actual known working ones. And with no experience basic things like properly setting outriggers aren't exactly something you want to figure out on your own.

Sorry I'm being cautious, but with my background in large cranes (attached to fire trucks or not) and industrial rescue/accidents I'd feel like absolute poo poo to have read this, said nothing, and then found out about an accident.
Don't apologize, you're being very reasonable.

People laugh at reasonable safety measures and then say things like "ah, shucks, no one could have seen this coming, it was a freak accident" when something goes terribly wrong.

edit: or "I've known him for years, he would never do this"

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
In all reality I have 2 kids I am going to do what I can to be safe and make sure it is functioning before I try it out but I am mainly getting it ready for sale. But I am at least going up in the bucket got to guys.

everdave fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 17, 2020

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It'd be a moot point for me, as it looks like the weight limit for the bucket is 100kg, and I'm rather north of that.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Surf port pics, has had recent timing belt, absurdly low miles, and take a look underneath...

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
How in the gently caress... It's like they didn't drive it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Motronic posted:

Not arguing for or against any of that specifically, but it seems kind of pointless to tell him to do something that isn't possible or is unlikely. As a Qualified Person who is certified insofar as what OSHA actually requires, and who advised caution before using the thing first of all, I'm not sure exactly what course you're advocating for him to take.

Anyhow good luck with your little-est squirt bucket truck.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

How in the gently caress... It's like they didn't drive it.

Could be from Kyushu or a part of Japan where there isn’t snow to require road spray.

But also having a car here is so godawful expensive that it’s treated a bit nicer by many people. Not quite like Singapore, but still.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

everdave posted:

Surf port pics, has had recent timing belt, absurdly low miles, and take a look underneath...

Yoooo is this what true love feels like? :stwoon:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Hey on the diesel Surf I won it has dual batteries, have you seen that on a HiLux, is it normal or a more rare bonus?

What's the trim level? Should have a badge on the back that says SRS or LX or whatever Hilux Surfs have. Hilux Surfs are really just a Prado in a different outfit and where you sit in a different posture. If it has dual batteries it will be a 12v electrical system with the batteries in parallel, and if you need to replace them then replace both at once. There are ways (probably easy ways) to modify the system to work off one battery but that's lame and dumb and removes some of the JDM-ness.
On Prados at least only the most basic trim won't come with dual batteries, like our original white 1991 one.

Phenomenal Surf!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

everdave posted:

Holy crap that's clean

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

angryrobots posted:

I'm not sure exactly what course you're advocating for him to take.

Not operating the bucket truck.

Or perhaps finding someone who knows how to operate a bucket truck and having them do it. Maybe even getting that person to teach him enough to safely take a ride once after they have it all set up properly and have tried it out to insure safe functionality.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Love the little bucket truck, and can think of several uses for it around the house, my parent's property.
I'd really love the firetruck for pickup-like things.

And yeah, the Bluebird is perfect.

InitialDave posted:

It'd be a moot point for me, as it looks like the weight limit for the bucket is 100kg, and I'm rather north of that.

Was going to say. I'm below average American at 250 lbs. (currently - hope that keeps going down...) and the bucket isn't even rated for that. Here's hoping it has a 100% safety margin.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Motronic posted:

Not operating the bucket truck.

Or perhaps finding someone who knows how to operate a bucket truck and having them do it. Maybe even getting that person to teach him enough to safely take a ride once after they have it all set up properly and have tried it out to insure safe functionality.

With any luck the person he will be having inspect it is a qualified operator.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

Was going to say. I'm below average American at 250 lbs. (currently - hope that keeps going down...) and the bucket isn't even rated for that. Here's hoping it has a 100% safety margin.
The thing is, it's less of a bucket, more of a..
Dixie Cup.

New paint scheme required!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

KakerMix posted:

What's the trim level? Should have a badge on the back that says SRS or LX or whatever Hilux Surfs have. Hilux Surfs are really just a Prado in a different outfit and where you sit in a different posture. If it has dual batteries it will be a 12v electrical system with the batteries in parallel, and if you need to replace them then replace both at once. There are ways (probably easy ways) to modify the system to work off one battery but that's lame and dumb and removes some of the JDM-ness.
On Prados at least only the most basic trim won't come with dual batteries, like our original white 1991 one.

Phenomenal Surf!

The hilux won’t come with a dual battery setup- they came with a single N70 battery and that’s more than enough spin up that little diesel.

Tho your going to have a fun experience jumping from the 1KZ to the 3L diesel... god they’re sloooow

A fair few of the Toyota diesels have twin batteries- the old 60’s and 80’s has them as a 24v system, where as the surfs and 100/200’s have twin batteries in parallel. It’s to keep the cranking amps up when it’s bloody cold, but with the 100’s here in Australia 99% of people just split them with a battery isolator and you get an easy auxiliary battery system

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Ok Motronic how do I work this for lofty fun

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The malfunction is proud of the abnormality.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

The malfunction is proud of the abnormality.

Something we can all relate to.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It’s probably best to practice with a pet, then work up to kids then realdolls.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

everdave posted:

Ok Motronic how do I work this for lofty fun

The controls hardly matter. The basics of running a crane do. The controls are merely a detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ferremit posted:

The hilux won’t come with a dual battery setup- they came with a single N70 battery and that’s more than enough spin up that little diesel.
:smug::smug::smug:

:smug::smug::smug: