Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Is the scrap armor worth my time? I'm aware that it comes with some penalties but if it's tanky enough for basic zombies then I could use it to clear out smal locations to loot them later. I'm just asking because it needs a lot of materials to craft and I'd rather not waste them right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Encumbrance on scrap armor is a deal breaker for me. I usually aim for leather body armor or skip straight to light survivor armor.

E: Nomad armor is better than leather but it depends on a couple of item drops that you might not get.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Encumbrance on scrap armor is a deal breaker for me. I usually aim for leather body armor or skip straight to light survivor armor.

E: Nomad armor is better than leather but it depends on a couple of item drops that you might not get.
Hmm I'm still at tailor 3 and don't think I can make leather armor yet. But I'm gonna investigate

Also I just had a weird thing happen. I went out to scout and clear a bit and fought two zombies. After killing the second one my guy is suddenly getting temperature problems. It's still spring and I don't think my gear is too warm?

Never had any issues before except when standing next to fire for too long. I got a deep bite that I disinfected properly right away so I don't think it's the issue either

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Check the @ or + screen. You can see heat by body part which will help track it down. I’d look at that light jacket first.

Don’t worry too much about being warm. You’re getting into late spring, you’re going to be warm all through summer, and the penalties from warm aren’t all that bad (~5% lower speed, more thirst I think?). Worry about hot and above (or whatever the pink level is).

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Gotcha! By looking at the panel it seems that my army pants+combat boots caused the warmth while I was walking around a lot and fighting. I guess the outside temp is starting to climb by now since that didn't happen before.

I took a mean hit to my glasses which frightens me since I don't have a spare by now and also can't repair them atm. If I understand the clothing system right then I should be able to protect them by wearing something over them? I have ski googles and a pair of fit-over sunglasses so I should wear one of them and it should take the next hit if it happens, right?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Most of the time yeah. Some hits will go through though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Holy poo poo how long has towing been in this game?

Adequate Panther
Oct 28, 2013

Leal posted:

Holy poo poo how long has towing been in this game?

Not long at all. A week or two. I think it came out right after 0E

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
This is great, no longer will I need to carry some fuel, maybe a spare battery and worse of all: Either walk to and back to pick up my vehicle to bring something home to chop. I imagine the other vehicle will still need all its tires?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
How do vehicles work with respect to z-levels? I found a multilevel parking garage with several pristine vehicles, but aside from busting up the concrete walls and driving the cars over the edge, I can't figure out how to get them down.

Similarly, having something larger than a folding bike to explore all these subway linked labs (maybe I just got lucky but so far ever lab on this world gen has been connected to others with rail links like some huge anthill beneath the cities and towns above). Having something a little faster to escape the kevlar hulks would be grand.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
As far as I know all you can do is send them off the edge, which will destroy the car. They're working on making useable helicopters so maybe soon enough it'll be possible to drive cars through z levels.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Made it to tailor and fab 4 so I'm starting to look at a lot more options

This is my current combat outfit. It has very little storage but that's okay I think because I leave all my stuff in the car and can wear backpack/duffle after I'm done fighting. My pants are not that protective compared to the rest though and I wonder if I should reinforce them? I read on the wiki that the encumbrance penalty can be fairly rough though so I'm not sure if it's worth it?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm not sure if they've changed it recently but for a while reinforcing something with leather/kevlar/whatever was ruinous for encumbrance, to the point where it makes far more sense to just find something more protective that's made out of the material you wanted to reinforce with.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I know the encumbrance is a little high but if you can get a hold of a reasonable car or even just a really solid crossbow, you can slaughter some ants for Chitin armor which is insanely good for any low-moderate tier enemy. Unless it got mega nerfed, I was able to 1v1 a colony of wasps with Chitin armor, a crossbow, and a sword

Adequate Panther
Oct 28, 2013

Leal posted:

As far as I know all you can do is send them off the edge, which will destroy the car. They're working on making useable helicopters so maybe soon enough it'll be possible to drive cars through z levels.

Haven't tried it personally yet, but word on the street is that helicopters work as of Build 10488

https://www.reddit.com/r/cataclysmdda/comments/fuudka/flyable_helicopters/

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Tin Tim posted:

Made it to tailor and fab 4 so I'm starting to look at a lot more options

This is my current combat outfit. It has very little storage but that's okay I think because I leave all my stuff in the car and can wear backpack/duffle after I'm done fighting. My pants are not that protective compared to the rest though and I wonder if I should reinforce them? I read on the wiki that the encumbrance penalty can be fairly rough though so I'm not sure if it's worth it?

You can craft safety goggles from plastic bottles and string and they'll give you near-equivalent combat protection for a third of the encumbrance.

Edit: And you should DEFINITELY reinforce items w/ spare rags/felt/leather and a sewing tool . You can specially reinforce with leather or Kevlar to give yourself more protection in exchange for encumbrance but regular reinforcement just increases their HP so they can take more hits before you do. It's accessed from the repair menu option. If your skill isn't high enough you may damage the item though; be sure to check the success chance before you accidentally destroy your sweet armor.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 20, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

You can craft safety goggles from plastic bottles and string and they'll give you near-equivalent combat protection for a third of the encumbrance.

Edit: And you should DEFINITELY reinforce items w/ spare rags/felt/leather and a sewing tool . You can specially reinforce with leather or Kevlar to give yourself more protection in exchange for encumbrance but regular reinforcement just increases their HP so they can take more hits before you do. It's accessed from the repair menu option. If your skill isn't high enough you may damage the item though; be sure to check the success chance before you accidentally destroy your sweet armor.
Welp my chance on the good gear is below 5% so I'll need to train a bit more :v:

But thanks for letting me know!

E: I have my crafting station in a basement and if I add a fire source of some sort will the smoke gently caress me up?

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 20, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Adequate Panther posted:

Haven't tried it personally yet, but word on the street is that helicopters work as of Build 10488

https://www.reddit.com/r/cataclysmdda/comments/fuudka/flyable_helicopters/

Updating would require nuking my character, wouldn't it?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You'll need a Stove or something to avoid getting smoked. Check your Construction menu to see about building one.

5% success rate is fine as long as your damage % is low enough. You'll automatically try until you succeed. What it really means is 'this will take more time and thread'. Even if you roll damage, that,ll damage it by one step then you fix it.
If your damage chance is more than half your success chance, don't try.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
It's actually better if your failure rate is that high, you'll gain tons of skill while making it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Again, thanks for the good info!

Is there a way to merge similar items? I got tons of lighters and matchbooks in my storage and it would be nice if I could refill them with eachother

The Lone Badger posted:

You'll need a Stove or something to avoid getting smoked. Check your Construction menu to see about building one.
I stole a stove from a hobo camp I'll see if I can drag it down a stair before I build a fresh one

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Depends on the item. With something like a bottle of bleach you can (U)nload one into the other. But standard lighters are disposable and cannot be refilled, you need to find a 'refillable lighter' aka a bic.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

But standard lighters are disposable and cannot be refilled, you need to find a 'refillable lighter' aka a bic.
Yeah I sorta expected that but I still had hope :v:

How far is the reach of the crafting menu? Like when I craft stuff I have noticed that it recognizes items as far as three tiles away from me but I wonder if anyone knows the max distance?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It depends partly on your vision. If you can't see it (because its dark or there's something in the way) you can't use it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah I sorta expected that but I still had hope :v:

How far is the reach of the crafting menu? Like when I craft stuff I have noticed that it recognizes items as far as three tiles away from me but I wonder if anyone knows the max distance?
I'm pretty sure 7 tiles is the limit, but it shouldn't be hard to test. This is great for making a central storage+crafting room; just stand in the middle and have access to all recipes. Huge improvement of the days of having to be physically carrying ingredients.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Good to know! My current setup is mainly in a three tile range so I can comfortably extend that a bit

The Lone Badger posted:

It depends partly on your vision. If you can't see it (because its dark or there's something in the way) you can't use it.
Speaking of seeing things, I assume there is a lenghty way which eventually lets me have a light source in my crafting cellar? Right now I use the various phones I have collected but eventually I'm going to need something else

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Build a 'vehicle' in your cellar from a frame. Add a Storage Battery. Now add a dashboard or electronics control unit or whatever and you have a Dome Light.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Man the prison escape start is WAY harder now that it's surrounded with sharks huh

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Foldable light frame (murder shelves), folding wire basket (murder chain link fences), casters (lol find or make arc welders)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Man the prison escape start is WAY harder now that it's surrounded with sharks huh

What

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

casters (lol find or make arc welders)

Arc Welders are pretty common now in labs due to the loot tile that spawns a special car and a bunch of rare tools/parts.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

So if I understand it right then the game operates with a bubble of 100 tiles around you where things keep going? Does that apply to everything or only to actors such as monsters and animals? I just made a kiln in a nearby forest for charcoal and a smoking rack and now I wonder if they will freeze operation when I move too far away? Same question also goes for the crops I planted.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

So if I understand it right then the game operates with a bubble of 100 tiles around you where things keep going? Does that apply to everything or only to actors such as monsters and animals? I just made a kiln in a nearby forest for charcoal and a smoking rack and now I wonder if they will freeze operation when I move too far away? Same question also goes for the crops I planted.

Kilns and plants and other similar things, tend to operate on a setup of "as soon as it's in the bubble again, check how much progress there SHOULD have been and go to that."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fires however freeze when they're outside the bubble. They'll still be burning when you return.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's true. I once set a fungal tower on fire that was near a road between my base and a town I intended to loot, and every time I drove past it for weeks the fire was still going.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Whoa, a mansion is a real loot piniata if you can clear it out. Sure glad that I made some iron greaves to bring my leg armor in line with the rest of my body! Cleared the groundfloor and the basement and got a wide range of useful things. Certain tools, spare glasses and some misc weapons to name a few. The second floor has a samurai armor with an old katana near the stairs but I had to retreat as it was getting late and I got swarmed up there. Will return in the morning and finish the job because I want that katana!

E: Does the practice target work for bows too? I found two pretty good bows in the mansion and thought I could give them a try but my skill is zero

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 21, 2020

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Tin Tim posted:

Whoa, a mansion is a real loot piniata if you can clear it out. Sure glad that I made some iron greaves to bring my leg armor in line with the rest of my body! Cleared the groundfloor and the basement and got a wide range of useful things. Certain tools, spare glasses and some misc weapons to name a few. The second floor has a samurai armor with an old katana near the stairs but I had to retreat as it was getting late and I got swarmed up there. Will return in the morning and finish the job because I want that katana!

Be careful with swords, katanas, pikes, halberds and other weapons like that, a lot of them are fake and much crappier/less durable in a fight than they seem. Carefully read the item description for a given weapon - the real deal and fakes will typically have identical descriptions except for a bit near the end that says "This sword feels flimsy and the blade and hilt feel loose" or something to that effect. If you see that, it means the weapon is a fake.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
How do addictions work? I'm getting the hang of this game and have what seems like a reasonable start as a hobo, but I've got the shakes something fierce. Can I try to taper off or do I need to go cold turkey?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Tapering off is generally best right at the very start; once you have a good safehouse and a decent stockpile of survival supplies, you can try going cold turkey. The penalties for severe withdrawal are unpleasant - best to avoid having those coincide with active looting or crafting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

PiCroft posted:

Be careful with swords, katanas, pikes, halberds and other weapons like that, a lot of them are fake and much crappier/less durable in a fight than they seem.
Ah dang

I mean the description makes it sound like it's decent but old and not high quality. But going by what you said this should be a fake then?

The armor seems real good though. 12 C/B res for very low encumbrance. Seems like I should replace my armored leather vest and leather arm guards with that.