Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

I’ve got about a weeks worth of living left before I hit the limit on my credit card and then I just don’t know what I’d do. Hopefully this week will organise a 6 month mortgage holiday. I’m about 5 years away from being debt free if I continue working full time and can start to save a dollar. gently caress being alive sucks some times.

I resent aborning terrible money skills from my dad.

do u get less during a pandemic or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

thats not very patriotic of u

well im not a very patriotic guy. america sucks rear end

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

PIZZA.BAT posted:

it's literally our only hope besides finding an effective treatment

good news. people in south corea and wuhan are already getting it a second time.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theadder posted:

do u get less during a pandemic or something

no Im just terrible with money. in fact I just finally paid off my student loan so I get more money in fact

Jabor posted:

ICE would still be operating even after the bombs fall and the survivors are huddling in literal Fallout vaults.

ICE would be run by volunteers and amply staffed even if there was no funding whatsoever

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

fart simpson posted:

good news. people in south corea and wuhan are already getting it a second time.

maybe, more likely they just have it for a long time and get a negative test at one point because it doesn’t always show up in a throat swab

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

DuckConference posted:

maybe, more likely they just have it for a long time and get a negative test at one point because it doesn’t always show up in a throat swab

if it’s not what you said then we’re totally screwed lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

maybe it stays dormant in your lung cells and comes back even worse, like shingles

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

maybe it stays dormant in your lung cells and comes back even worse, like shingles
This is apparently unlikely with a coronavirus.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

fart simpson posted:

from what i’ve seen this has been rare enough so far that it can be chalked up to the occasional bad test or weird edge case. i think it’s been here in the states / across europe that if this were a widespread problem it’s be very obvious by now

i hope

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol if you have hope

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mystes posted:

This is apparently unlikely with a coronavirus.

so is long term immunity, apparently

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

so is long term immunity, apparently
"Long term" here is like more than a year, or maybe more than 6 months on the short side, which is probably going to become a huge problem, but it's still extremely unlikely that people can get reinfected immediately after they've had it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
wonder if it's like dengue fever where there's a bunch of nearly-identical variants and you end up immune to the exact one you got but none of the others

thankfully it doesn't have the part of dengue fever where antibodies for one variant actually make all the other variants even more deadly

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jabor posted:

wonder if it's like dengue fever where there's a bunch of nearly-identical variants and you end up immune to the exact one you got but none of the others

thankfully it doesn't have the part of dengue fever where antibodies for one variant actually make all the other variants even more deadly
dengue fever sounds like a real rear end in a top hat of a disease

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

GNU/Hurd immunity

dang it i came here to make this joke and it's already posted

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mystes posted:

"Long term" here is like more than a year, or maybe more than 6 months on the short side, which is probably going to become a huge problem, but it's still extremely unlikely that people can get reinfected immediately after they've had it.
the eventual vaccine will get rolled into flu vaccines that not enough people get, and it'll stick around forever instead of getting eradicated, but not kill as many people

mystes
May 31, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

the eventual vaccine will get rolled into flu vaccines that not enough people get, and it'll stick around forever instead of getting eradicated, but not kill as many people
The only way the coronavirus vaccine is going to end up not being a big deal is if it runs it's course and it turns out the mortality rate is WAY lower than we think it is because there are tons of asymptomatic people, and right now I really wouldn't recommend getting your hopes up for that.

The only thing purporting to show numbers remotely like that right now is the dumb antibody study from California that recruited people using Facebook and did nothing to address self-selection bias.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

mystes posted:

The only way the coronavirus vaccine is going to end up not being a big deal is if it runs it's course and it turns out the mortality rate is WAY lower than we think it is because there are tons of asymptomatic people, and right now I really wouldn't recommend getting your hopes up for that.

The only thing purporting to show numbers remotely like that right now is the dumb antibody study from California that recruited people using Facebook and did nothing to address self-selection bias.

hey there’s the la study too now!

by some of the same people; and are responding to criticism of the earlier study by not publishing their data or peer reviewing this one

mystes
May 31, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

hey there’s the la study too now!

by some of the same people; and are responding to criticism of the earlier study by not publishing their data or peer reviewing this one
Holy poo poo, :lmao:.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Jira is a POS. That is all.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Side note. Some of my buddies got a Minecraft server for us to shoot the poo poo in. They went with the win10 version because it's cross play compatible with the Xbox and Switch versions. I'd keep getting disconnected if alt-tabbed out to do something like read a wiki page. Turns out if you're full-screen in a Win 10 application and you minimize it, it suspends the process, and there's nothing an application developer can do about it. :wtchris:

The amount of regression in the software industry in the past decade for solved problems is dumbfounding

mystes
May 31, 2006

TerminalRaptor posted:

Turns out if you're full-screen in a Win 10 application and you minimize it, it suspends the process, and there's nothing an application developer can do about it. :wtchris:
That sounds like a legacy of how WinRT was designed for mobile devices. I think that Microsoft has fixed some of this stuff now that they've given up on mobile, but I guess they haven't fixed everything yet. Suspending the processes makes sense if you're using an Android-style app lifecycle but it makes much less sense on a desktop.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 21, 2020

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

mystes posted:

That sounds like a legacy of how WinRT was designed for mobile devices. I think that Microsoft has fixed some of this stuff now that they've given up on mobile, but I guess they haven't fixed everything yet. Suspending the processes makes sense if you're using an Android-style app lifecycle but it makes much less sense on a desktop.

Exactly, but when I was looking into it, it's been an issue for at least two plus years. You'd think they could have addressed it in that time.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

TerminalRaptor posted:

Side note. Some of my buddies got a Minecraft server for us to shoot the poo poo in. They went with the win10 version because it's cross play compatible with the Xbox and Switch versions. I'd keep getting disconnected if alt-tabbed out to do something like read a wiki page. Turns out if you're full-screen in a Win 10 application and you minimize it, it suspends the process, and there's nothing an application developer can do about it. :wtchris:

The amount of regression in the software industry in the past decade for solved problems is dumbfounding

Based on your post I thought "oh man, I should see if I can get the Win10 version since I bought the Java one back in 2013".

Turns out, I could have claimed a free copy until a few hours ago! the option expired just before midnight on April 20. Fuuuck.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hed posted:

Based on your post I thought "oh man, I should see if I can get the Win10 version since I bought the Java one back in 2013".

Turns out, I could have claimed a free copy until a few hours ago! the option expired just before midnight on April 20. Fuuuck.
It's fitting that they ran it through Hitler's birthday in honor of Notch.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

fart simpson posted:

free refills!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one of my friends' companies has just decided they simply won't have a hq office anymore

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
for my friends

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1252666705597235201

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
memento smoka

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i got to do a mandatory professional webinar that is just about how to feel under covid. it was far less insightful than just listening to my regular podcasts and reading twitter. hell yeah

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

rip smoka

he posted a qcs thread then raged out with a banme

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

rip smoka

he posted a qcs thread then raged out with a banme
i really can’t fault smoka on their qcs concern tbqh.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
neither of those forums are the ones getting users perma'd for death threats

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i feel like if you ever post in qcs then you should probably just stop visiting the forums

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

idk what smokas deal was but he seems to have done the correct thing.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

neither of those forums are the ones getting users perma'd for death threats
it kind of sucks that you can’t support the forums without also being pro-mil and pro-gun. death threats are significant insofar as they inconvenience mr. lowtax

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rotor posted:

i feel like if you ever post in qcs then you should probably just stop visiting the forums
you’ve given me a lot to think about rotor

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

you do the posts and if you start to get too worked up about stuff maybe just dont.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
smoka was a bad poster anyway. i mean best wishes to him them as a human being but the posts, the posts were not good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

smoka is a they i believe. just fyi