Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

You could pretend Game of Death is listed for the reconstruction of Lee's unfinished film and the two dogshit theatrically-released films are "supplements"

FYI, looks like Criterion's 30% off discount is active for this if anyone wants to preorder for $88. Not a bad price for effectively four films plus a gigantic amount of supplements.

(Worth also pointing out that Criterion doesn't seem to charge for preorders until they ship, so I'd definitely pre-order to take advantage of their site discount)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, Game of Death is worth inclusion for name recognition and the actual Bruce scenes. I’m just happy more people will get to discover how good Fist of Fury/The Chinese Connection is.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Way of The Dragon.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Egbert Souse posted:

You could pretend Game of Death is listed for the reconstruction of Lee's unfinished film and the two dogshit theatrically-released films are "supplements"

FYI, looks like Criterion's 30% off discount is active for this if anyone wants to preorder for $88. Not a bad price for effectively four films plus a gigantic amount of supplements.

(Worth also pointing out that Criterion doesn't seem to charge for preorders until they ship, so I'd definitely pre-order to take advantage of their site discount)

But's also not out until July which would be when Barnes and Noble is probably doing their 50% off sale.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

But's also not out until July which would be when Barnes and Noble is probably doing their 50% off sale.

Assuming B&N lasts that long.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, Game of Death is worth inclusion for name recognition and the actual Bruce scenes. I’m just happy more people will get to discover how good Fist of Fury/The Chinese Connection is.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Way of The Dragon.

"Way of the Dragon" is alright. First of Fury and Big Boss are miles better though.

I agree the only redeeming factor for Game of Death is that they are including the lost footage that Bey Logan found years ago as a supplement. Would have been better if they made that one the default movie, and the other one an addon.

Game of Death II is a legit good old school kung-fu film.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm looking forward to this Bruce Lee set. I've seen some of his lesser known stuff before (Like the movie Marlowe, where James Garner playing Phillip Marlowe defeats Bruce by baiting him into performing a flying kick off of a rooftop), but never these more well known films before. Should be a blast!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

True, but you can cancel before it ships. I’ll preorder and cancel if the sale happens.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

VoodooXT posted:

Assuming B&N lasts that long.

B&N is on its like fourth executive team in seven years, and the company is still reeling from betting the farm on Nook tablets, but they're still limping along, in large part due to having generally favorable leases.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If my local one is anything to go by, there's mad money in letting people that look like they're one bad day away from screaming conspiracy theories on the street sit in your store and drink coffee all day.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Amazing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Timby posted:

B&N is on its like fourth executive team in seven years, and the company is still reeling from betting the farm on Nook tablets, but they're still limping along, in large part due to having generally favorable leases.

Does B&N still own Gamestop, too? If both chains go under that's a micro retail apolcalypse in itself.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Does B&N still own Gamestop, too? If both chains go under that's a micro retail apolcalypse in itself.

I think they sold their stake in the mid-00s.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think they sold their stake in the mid-00s.

Correct, GameStop is public, but their stock has been in the toilet for years.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

July Criterions:

The War of the Worlds (1953) - July 7
Bruce Lee: His Greatest Hits - July 14 (already announced)
The Lady Eve - July 14
Marriage Story - July 21
Taste of Cherry - July 21

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Is Taste of Cherry any good? The premise seems really interesting but I've never taken the plunge to watch it.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Macrame_God posted:

Is Taste of Cherry any good? The premise seems really interesting but I've never taken the plunge to watch it.
i dunno, how much of kiarostami have you seen?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Macrame_God posted:

I haven't seen it, but The Koker Trilogy was fantastic. And Life Goes On is one of the best films I saw last year (Where is the Friend's House? and Through the Olive Trees are great too). I'm wanting to see every single Kiarostami film now.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

I haven't seen it, but The Koker Trilogy was fantastic. And Life Goes On is one of the best films I saw last year (Where is the Friend's House? and Through the Olive Trees are great too). I'm wanting to see every single Kiarostami film now.

Don’t skip Certified Copy.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Coaaab posted:

i dunno, how much of kiarostami have you seen?

I saw Close-Up a few years ago and I liked it well enough. I'll probably pick Taste of Cherry up later when it goes on sale.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Macrame_God posted:

It was a unique one. I'd recommend it if you're looking for something that's understated and without much action.

Its ending echoes back both to Medium Cool (1969) and The Holy Mountain (1973).

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

drat I still need to see Medium Cool.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather

Macrame_God posted:

I saw Close-Up a few years ago and I liked it well enough. I'll probably pick Taste of Cherry up later when it goes on sale.

taste of cherry is incredible, didn’t realize it was getting a physical release. definitely pick it up.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Macrame_God posted:

Is Taste of Cherry any good?

Quite!

Zogo posted:

I'd recommend it if you're looking for something that's understated and without much action.

Yeah, it's a lot of dialogue and driving around without much physically occurring. It's one of those where if you're inclined to think you'll love it, you almost certainly will.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I wonder if they finally found the uncut version of The Big Boss? They don't say anything about it, but I feel like this is gonna be pretty much the final word on whether the extra gore shots exist at all, since if they did Criterion would have probably found them.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I wonder if they finally found the uncut version of The Big Boss? They don't say anything about it, but I feel like this is gonna be pretty much the final word on whether the extra gore shots exist at all, since if they did Criterion would have probably found them.

Considering most of the original "Game of Death" footage was buried away for years, until it was magically found, I hold out no hope of the Big Boss footage still existing or being in salvageable condition.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Don’t skip Certified Copy.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It's nearing the end of April so I'm trying to figure out which movies I should watch that are leaving criterion channel soon. When looking at this list, are there any that stand out to people?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Chakan posted:

It's nearing the end of April so I'm trying to figure out which movies I should watch that are leaving criterion channel soon. When looking at this list, are there any that stand out to people?

My short list to watch:

Delicatessen
Three Days of the Condor
Near Dark
Thank God It's Friday
The Grifters
Uptown Saturday Night

I'm always opting to prioritize stuff that isn't on Blu-ray easily

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Chakan posted:

Adaptation. (my all-time favorite movie)
Near Dark
Eyes of Laura Mars
The Graduate
Klute
any of the Peter Greenaway
Sunset Boulevard

Stuff I know I need to watch:
any of the Peter Greenaway (love what I've seen)
The Hunger
The Man Who Fell To Earth
What's Up, Doc?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

While I watched my Indicator Blu-ray (which is great and worth importing), Eyes of Laura Mars is fantastic. It's basically an American giallo. Yes, it's a little silly in spots, but it's one of the most entertaining films I've seen in a while.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Chakan posted:

Oslo, August 31st is profoundly empathetic and heartbreaking. One of my all-timers

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Man who fell to earth and 3 days of the condor are on prime video so if you’re prioritizing stuff you would have to pay for otherwise maybe not those

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Chakan posted:

I watched I Don't Want to Sleep Alone last week and it was very good and probably not likely to show up streaming elsewhere anytime soon.

Near Dark
All of the Greenaway, but especially A Zed & Two Noughts
Adaptation.
The Hunger

Klute and The Man Who Fell to Earth are the two I'm hoping to watch this week.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I’m aiming for Klute, Draughtsman’s Contract, and Vanya on 42nd Street. I’d like to have time for I Don’t Want to Sleep Alone and Performance too but we’ll see what time permits

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Chakan posted:

- O Lucky Man is pretty scathing satire, good double feature with A Clockwork Orange

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

- O Lucky Man is pretty scathing satire, good double feature with A Clockwork Orange

Absolutely worth it since it's not on Blu-ray yet (seems like a perfect Criterion or at least Warner Archive release). As Lindsay Anderson would say, it's "epic" but it's episodic enough that it's not a big deal to watch it in parts.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
It’s one of my dad’s favorites and I have his DVDs ripped of it. But I never took the time... something to double-back on.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Idk if I plugged this film already but I’ll do it once again, Invention for Destruction is really cute and fun. It’s a Czech b&w Jules Verne-amalgamated fantasy a la Meliese films with lots of early special effects, making everything look like a Trader Joe bag (I know there’s a word for it but I’ve sold it to several friends with that description.) Really unique and fun.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

May lineup:
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1132389-new-to-stream-the-criterion-channels-may-2020-lineup

LOTS of amazing stuff.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Idk if I plugged this film already but I’ll do it once again, Invention for Destruction is really cute and fun. It’s a Czech b&w Jules Verne-amalgamated fantasy a la Meliese films with lots of early special effects, making everything look like a Trader Joe bag (I know there’s a word for it but I’ve sold it to several friends with that description.) Really unique and fun.

I watched Karel Zeman's The Fabulous Baron Munchausen when it was a preview of The Criterion Channel and enjoyed it. Ended up picking up the Zeman set in the March flash sale, watched the first two films - Journey to the Beginning of Time and Invention for Destruction. I agree that IfD is wonderful, like a movie made from animated engravings. The handcrafted look of his films is endlessly charming. I actually just rewatched Baron last night and watched the "Karel Zeman: Film Adventurer" last night, which is a fantastic doc on his films. Lots of great behind-the-scenes footage, as well as parts with film students re-creating shots exactly as he originally did them (on film!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Amazing stuff and also Around the World in 80 Days for some reason.