Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Meat Dimension posted:

My aunt purchased an Elantra because of the pandemic. She was dead set on the Accent hatch because she rented one a couple years ago and loved it, but was surprised that it was discontinued.

Elantra or Elantra GT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

The Meat Dimension posted:

My aunt purchased an Elantra because of the pandemic. She was dead set on the Accent hatch because she rented one a couple years ago and loved it, but was surprised that it was discontinued.

Kia still makes the Rio hatch

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Oh also the new Elantra came out

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

JK Fresco posted:

"This looks cool, but would be way better if they changed the headlights/grille juuust a bit" - me for every new car announced in the past 4 months.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cracks me up comparing the modern Elantra to it from the early 90's.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Cracks me up comparing the modern Elantra to it from the early 90's.

Even to 2010

Then again, in Canada at least, 2010s started around $10k and 2020s are $17k. I could easily see the 2021 being $20k.

It seems everybody is trying to move up-market with everything, and the only things left under $15k are the Spark, Mirage, and Micra.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Charles posted:

Elantra or Elantra GT?

JK Fresco posted:

Kia still makes the Rio hatch

Sedan Elantra. She went to the nearest Hyundai/Kia dealer and closed that day. It’s red and seems like a nice commuter for somebody who is retiring this year.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Powershift posted:

Even to 2010

Then again, in Canada at least, 2010s started around $10k and 2020s are $17k. I could easily see the 2021 being $20k.

It seems everybody is trying to move up-market with everything, and the only things left under $15k are the Spark, Mirage, and Micra.

$17k is like half the average new car transaction price in America though. Anywhere below that and people are probably much more likely to buy used than to get the sort of new cars you cab get for less than $15k.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

JK Fresco posted:

For a second I thought it looked decent at this angle because I assumed all those lines on the side were just a reflection of some weird polygon out of frame.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
That front looks like a concept car, and not in a good way.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Some more info about car deals if anyone still has money to buy

quote:

General Motors Co. and Ford Motor Co.’s finance arms likely face multibillion-dollar losses linked to the dramatic drop in used-vehicle prices, JPMorgan Chase & Co. analysts said.

Prices are falling faster and steeper than JPMorgan was expecting, lead analyst Ryan Brinkman wrote in a report Monday, citing mid-month data from Manheim. The auto-auction firm’s closely watched used vehicle value index plunged 11.8% in the first 15 days of April, a decline that will easily set a record if it holds for the full month.

The spread of the coronavirus has caused a major dislocation in the $1.5 trillion used-car market. Physical auctions have been halted for weeks along with much of the rest of the economy. Once they resume, dealers and rental-car companies are expected to flood them with vehicles to raise cash as they brace for months of lower demand.

“What we’re seeing right now is essentially the market is illiquid -- and that’s the physical auctions as well as the digital auctions,” Jennifer Laclair, the chief financial officer of Ally Financial Inc., said on an earnings call. The lender had been expecting a 5% to 7% drop in used-car values for the year.

Also Hertz and the other rental firms have been massively downsizing their businesses and flooding the market with used rentals over the past few weeks. Hertz just laid off 10k of its 35k employees.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 21, 2020

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I just got what I thought was a good deal on a 2017 G80 RWD, single owner off lease. I was already in the market before covid hit the US, and I want my dying VW out of the driveway. Could I have waited longer? Probably, but who cares when it’s already taken a 45% depreciation hit. They’re a pretty good deal right now for what you get.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...1cb4c4bf409972d

Apologies about the Murdoch press link. Ford Focus RS is to be no more

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Powershift posted:

Well it's a lot easier to swallow the pill of paying more for a car when the banks/dealerships "conveniently" offer you a 9-year term. "It'll keep my monthly payment lower!!"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Midniter posted:

Well it's a lot easier to swallow the pill of paying more for a car when the banks/dealerships "conveniently" offer you a 9-year term. "It'll keep my monthly payment lower!!"

And the only price advertised is the bi-weekly or weekly payment payment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Powershift posted:

And the only price advertised is the bi-weekly or weekly payment payment.

That's still not too common in the US. You hear weekly occasionally but it's more for used cars, and it's rare enough that it kind of jumps out at you.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Powershift posted:

Even to 2010

I hear this is in part due to ever increasing emissions and safety requirements. With so much required equipment, most of the price of a car is labor, and making a small car isn't really that much easier thsn making a big one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

JK Fresco posted:

I hear this is in part due to ever increasing emissions and safety requirements.

It's a popular talking point in certain circles, but it doesn't really track.

Cars are increasing in cost at about half the rate of inflation since 1953. If you have an issue with new car prices, don't parrot stuff about emissions and safety equipment increasing prices, instead ask why wages have been stagnant for the past few decades.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

JK Fresco posted:

Ford keeps on bringing over cars developed for third world countries and then acts surprised when they're poo poo

I thought they sold Jaguar

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

DonkeyHotay posted:

I thought they sold Jaguar

I said developed for not developed by

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

bull3964 posted:

It's a popular talking point in certain circles, but it doesn't really track.

Cars are increasing in cost at about half the rate of inflation since 1953. If you have an issue with new car prices, don't parrot stuff about emissions and safety equipment increasing prices, instead ask why wages have been stagnant for the past few decades.

Yep, pretty much. Stagflation has been a bitch. Hence 84 month loans.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

JK Fresco posted:

what's the screen to the left of the wheel for?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Potential Cash for Clunkers Revival Could Mean Big Car Deals Are Coming

I hope not literally in the next month or so.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Destroying the Used Car Market to Own the Libs

Jesus loving Christ.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

gently caress the auto industry, they can suffer just like everyone else. I couldn't care less if any of them fall to the wayside, and I highly doubt that anyone else will care this time either.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Man the zero payments for 6 months, 0% apr for 72 months and the 6 year warranty do make a GTI compelling except for the fact I got nowhere to drive lmao

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Applebees Appetizer posted:

gently caress the auto industry, they can suffer just like everyone else. I couldn't care less if any of them fall to the wayside, and I highly doubt that anyone else will care this time either.

it would be bad for me personally and also bad for my state and part of my state, so i care

but we shouldn't do c4c 2

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Fine sure cash for clunkers but like how many new cars do they think they are going to sell? Unemployment is the highest ever recorded and the oil industry is collapsing. Nobody is working and even if covid-19 just up and disappeared tomorrow the effects are already permanent, changes to commuting, rentals, vacations and travel.
How many F-150s can possibly be sold?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

:getin:

Hopefully a 2009 reconstruction title Volvo wagon is worth at least, say, $10k. That's fair right?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it would be bad for me personally and also bad for my state and part of my state, so i care

but we shouldn't do c4c 2

What I mean is they don't deserve another c4c bailout and that most would probably agree.

For the regular people it will effect yes I feel bad for them and they don't deserve it, for the executives and shareholders not so much

KakerMix posted:

Fine sure cash for clunkers but like how many new cars do they think they are going to sell? Unemployment is the highest ever recorded and the oil industry is collapsing. Nobody is working and even if covid-19 just up and disappeared tomorrow the effects are already permanent, changes to commuting, rentals, vacations and travel.

And this, all it will do is gently caress the used car market for people that need cheap cars.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 21, 2020

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What I mean is they don't deserve another c4c bailout and that most would probably agree.

For the regular people it will effect yes I feel bad for them and they don't deserve it, for the executives and shareholders not so much

They’re already talking about bailing out oil and gas when a fuckton of us haven’t even gotten our stimulus pittance yet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

They’re already talking about bailing out oil and gas when a fuckton of us haven’t even gotten our stimulus pittance yet.

And the rich avoid catastrophe and keep getting richer!

:capitalism:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Like Trump would ever wanna do something Obama did

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Charles posted:

Like Trump would ever wanna do something Obama did

He'll just re name it and tweak it a bit, then say it was his great idea and how awesome he is

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

His program will require the feds to buy only from corporate intermediaries, who will immediately start lowballing desperate people and emptying junkyards

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

KakerMix posted:

At my work just today after WTI hit the negatives our shop that does mostly oilfield manufacturing laid off almost 40 out of 220 people. I felt like I was taking ole yeller behind the shed when I was closing out my old right-hand man's last labor ticket :smithfrog: Most people don't know, but oil took a poo poo in late 2014 and our shop had 8 rounds of layoffs. After five years we were only just getting into the good times again, and now we're back to 40 hour weeks (usually it's 55's with OT) and layoffs after only 5 months of being able to pay off debt. Usually there are at least a couple years between a boom and a bust, but this was a long slow climb and just a precipitous drop. I've never seen it go so fast.

I really feel for those guys because at least in 14-19 you could still get manufacturing jobs in other sectors, but now everyone is equally screwed.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...1cb4c4bf409972d

Apologies about the Murdoch press link. Ford Focus RS is to be no more

Don't worry I'm sure they'll do a couple more 'performance' versions of the Ranger and Everest to make up for it.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

LeeMajors posted:

Destroying the Used Car Market to Own the Libs

Jesus loving Christ.

Uhh do you remember who did cash for clunkers

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

JK Fresco posted:

Uhh do you remember who did cash for clunkers

I do.

I’m talking about who is presently trying to do C4C 2.0 expressly to prop up the new car market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
All those newly unemployed oil workers should learn how to code dig up beautiful clean coal. :smugdon: