Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So John Allison's Wicked Things, the comic starring Lottie from Bad Machinery, just came out today. I really enjoyed it and have been going over the questions raised from the first issue, namely:

1)Who stabbed Kendo Miyamoto? (the comic doesn't confirm whether he lived or died)

2)Why was he attacked?

3)Why was Lottie framed for the murder? Was she chosen specifically or was she just a convenient scapegoat?

His interpetor (Miss Maki) is the obvious suspect, (she intentionally mistranslated Lotties comments to Miyamoto, and she was the one who told her Miyamoto wanted to see her) but that seems too easy.

Was she working alone?

What was in the package she gave Lottie?

Were the other teen detectives in on it? (they all seem to have it in for Lottie). Why would they do it? Seems rather far for a prank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Also really enjoyed Wicked Things, although it strikes me as a comic I'll like even more if it goes beyond a miniseries (which is also how I felt about Giant Days), although I'm not sure if that's in the cards or not. As a longtime Bobbinsverse fan, seeing Lottie and Claire grown up is a little surreal, but the center of the comic being their friendship is quite welcome.

The_Other posted:

His interpetor (Miss Maki) is the obvious suspect, (she intentionally mistranslated Lotties comments to Miyamoto, and she was the one who told her Miyamoto wanted to see her) but that seems too easy.

Was she working alone?

What was in the package she gave Lottie?

Were the other teen detectives in on it? (they all seem to have it in for Lottie). Why would they do it? Seems rather far for a prank.

These are the big things I've been thinking about too. First read made me think Miss Maki and the butler were both in on it and part of a larger conspiracy- Miyamoto was investigating something that shouldn't be investigated?- but on second read perhaps the butler was working by old-timey fancy hotel protocol and Miss Maki will turn out to be the mastermind alone.

The teen detectives definitely each have roles to play, though, or at least the four named ones do. We see less of the other two compared to Paola and Norris, so either they're less important or secretly important. Can't tell if Norris liking Lottie will just be a crush or if he knows something.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kwyndig posted:

Why is it always oWoD? Why can't we get the far superior nWoD?

realistically speaking it's probably because oWoD has more actual defined lore, whereas nWoD is more of a toolbox for the ST to make their own thing with

if you're going to write a nWoD comic you might as well just not use the IP and make it an original horror comic

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
nWod Mage had oodles of lore...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Mainly it's because the people that own the games now have decided to completely ignore NWoD in favor of nostalgia tinged kickstarters for the OWoD reprints.

Though 'now's might be the wrong word since I think the NWoD lasted all of maybe five years or so before the EVE guys bought the games and focused on OWoD again.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Support your LCS, get two free advance digital issues from Vault:

https://twitter.com/thevaultcomics/status/1242828046823878656?s=19

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/DavidWalker1201/status/1243201992094253059

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hey, everyone! Chip Zdarsky's giving Afterlift away on Comixology for the next 24 hours or so! Just redeem the code AFTERLIFT and get it!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Did anyone read the new Rat Queens with the new writer? I was wondering if I should give it a shot, but I also feel weirdly at a loss for what series to keep an eye on nowadays. I feel like the only new series I care about in the past year or two have been Die and Ascender.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 13, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GrandpaPants posted:

Did anyone read the new Rat Queens with the new writer? I was wondering if I should give it a shot, but I also feel weirdly at a loss for what series to keep an eye on nowadays. I feel like the only new series I care about in the past year or two have been Die and Ascender.

I haven't read it, but any new Rat Queens books I'd trade wait on, just in case whoever is working on it gets struck by lightening or turns out to be the last Nazi hiding out from Mossad or something (seriously, it's a cursed title).

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Me, a trans lady reading Die #6: *incoherent hollering*

Yo this is from a waaaays back, but I just finished Die #1. I LOVE it. I mainvein angsty melodrama/revisit our horrible past we only get hints about.

Anyways.

Is this good or bad incoherent hollering?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think Die approaches gender dysphoria about as well as I could expect from a cis author, I'm curious to see how Gillen develops it and I'm tentatively optimistic.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I will say, the diversion about Pendragon was extremely on point based on group's teenage experience as well.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Humble Bundle has a bunch of Hickman's works.

If you get the $15 bundle, you get:
East of West 1-45 + volumes 1-9
Dying of the Dead 1-6
The Manhattan Projects vol 1-6
Black Monday Murders vol 1-2
The Red Wing
Red Mass for Mars
Secret Vol 1
The Nightly News

Is this worth picking up? Am not familiar with any of these, but I assume yes because Hickman

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Artelier posted:

Humble Bundle has a bunch of Hickman's works.

If you get the $15 bundle, you get:
Dying of the Dead 1-6
The Manhattan Projects vol 1-6
Black Monday Murders vol 1-2
The Red Wing
Red Mass for Mars
Secret Vol 1
The Nightly News

Is this worth picking up? Am not familiar with any of these, but I assume yes because Hickman

For that price it's worth it for East of West alone, and the rest is good too!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
black monday murders, manhattan projects, and east of west are all good yes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That would be a steal at triple that price.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Artelier posted:

you get the $15 bundle, you get:

Just to make it clear, this is the entirety of EoW (43-45 is volume 10, the last volume), so this is getting an entire series and then some.

Might give me a reason to finally finish!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well this is both a bane and a boon. I have 8 volumes of EoW on Comixology (all picked up for $2.50-$4.50 each I think) and have been drumming my fingers in wait of the last collected edition to pop up digitally. Instead I get a DRM free set of likely the same quality (or of absurdly oversized images like their The Boys bundle) and a sampler platter of other comics.

:sigh:
[sound of smoldering credit card]

Terminus
May 6, 2008
No idea how Humble Bundle became the place where I buy most of my digital comics but here we are. drat those deals are good. Anyone in this thread have a preferred comic reader app? I've been using Comic Screen on my phone and it's pretty decent but I'd love to hear about alternatives.

\/\/ I use Android so that looks like it's worth a try!

Terminus fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 23, 2020

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I've been using Perfect Viewer for years.

Dunno what OS your phone/tablets use though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Dying And The Dead is awesome but it got cut short due to other commitments. I love the art in it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of Bundles, I found this one, with Incal, Metabarons, stuff from Manara, Moebius, etc

https://groupees.com/humanoids - $15

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Did anyone else check out Ludocrats this week? Here's the blurb:

Image posted:

The Ludocrats! The aristocrats of ludicrous! A collision of the ornate fantasy of Dune and an M-rated Asterix & Obelix! Baron Otto Von Hades and Professor Hades Zero-K are here, and they're going to save us all have a nice time. KIERON GILLEN (DIE, THE WICKED + THE DIVINE) and JIM ROSSIGNOL (Sir, You Are Being Hunted) write! JEFF STOKELY (The Spire) draws! TAMRA BONVILLAIN (Once & Future) colors! Clayton Cowles (BITTER ROOT, DIE) letters! The universe screams in pleasure, writhing, finally satisfied, complete, joyous!

As you might expect it's kind of...a lot. Probably too much for me, but others may disagree.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Did anyone else check out Ludocrats this week?

I liked it. Might be a little weird for weird's sake, and I know I'd have read it more favorably had I not just read Grant Morrison's Seaguy for the first time. Has the same energy as an NES-era video game, if that makes any sense?

Also snagged a copy of Year Zero from AWA. Felt like the pilot of a TV show as a comic, and I'm a little tired of zombie fiction in general, but it looked (and was) pretty good, so...

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Yay, doubleposting...

Anyone else read Adventureman? Great setup.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Inkspot posted:

Yay, doubleposting...

Anyone else read Adventureman? Great setup.

Yeah, seems like a nice start and the notes from Fraction were interesting.

I'm glad indie comics are firing back up again!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Extremely Hickman.

Now please finish Black Monday Murders my dude.

This is old as hell but I figured I'd reply. Hickman said Black Monday Murders is done it's just Tomm Coker, the artist, got very very sick and he's recovered and working on issue 9. Hickman won't solicit it until Tomm is working on issue 12. The story has been done for ages because Hickman writes his indies as screenplays. This is info I got from his "Writing For The Big Reboot" zoom panel.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

KidDynamite posted:

This is old as hell but I figured I'd reply. Hickman said Black Monday Murders is done it's just Tomm Coker, the artist, got very very sick and he's recovered and working on issue 9. Hickman won't solicit it until Tomm is working on issue 12. The story has been done for ages because Hickman writes his indies as screenplays. This is info I got from his "Writing For The Big Reboot" zoom panel.

Thanks for the info! I think I knew most of that but I lose track of why the various books I like have been delayed.

I finally got around to reading That Texas Blood #1 last night and I quite enjoyed it. Good job setting the scene with a couple big moments. I'd recommend it to fans of Criminal and the like.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

So I just wanted to post my reaction / theories for issue 2 of Wicked Things before issue three drops next week.

So Kendo Miyamoto, Japanese master detective, is currently in a coma, having been stabbed with Lottie's pen a pen Lottie was last seen giving to Paolo Tosto, the Italian teen detective, back in issue 1.

Nothing major seems to come to light in this issue (at least to me), but we do get some great character moments (Lottie's mum and sister at the police station, Claire doing some snooping on Lottie's behalf, the reactions of various members of the police force to Lottie).

Furthering my theories from my last post on who is behind the crime:
  1. If what Maki Yamaji said in this issue is true about Miyamoto viewing Lottie as his successor, she may have been part of the crime out of sense of jealousy towards Lottie and anger at Miyamoto.
  2. Like I said before Miyamoto was stabbed with a pen Lottie gave to Tosto in issue 1, indicating that she and the other international mystery teens (IMT) were involved. Why would they do it? I could see three possible reasons
    1. They see Lottie as an outsider. The IMT are all wealthy / upper class while Lottie is middle class.
    2. They are jealous of Lottie's successes.
    3. Their own exploits are either exaggerated or outright fabricated and they are afraid Lottie might find out.

Again these are just my thoughts on the series. I sorry I didn't post them earlier but issue 2 came out the same week as the forums future became uncertain. That and I wanted to go over the mystery in my head for a while before posting.

Also I bought two copies of this issue, a digital one and a physical copy with an alternative art-deco style cover by Veronica Fish

note that Lottie's appearance on this cover just feeds my crazy comic crossover theory that she is the reincarnation of Modesty Blaise

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Savage Dragon #250 came out this week. Congrats to Erik Larsen for the milestone.

The Walt Simonson cover is my favorite of the variants and now I wish he’d write and draw a one-shot with the Dragon kids.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Has anyone mentioned Reaver by Justin Jordan yet? The first volume is great and the second is shaping up to be even better.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.
I, like you, have only read the first volume. And although the premise isn't new, it is definitely entertaining. The artwork by Alex Guimarães reminds me of his work on Lucas Stand in reflection of the characters and their inner landscapes.

I'm expecting a fair bit of betrayal in the second volume.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I didn't realize there was going to be a sequel to Chew

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

A reread of Y: The Last Man was truly enjoyable. Amazing how well it held up nearly a couple decades later (despite that "retard" shows up every other issue."

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

So Wicked Things issue 3 came out today. It's was okay but mostly about Lottie having to deal with the (mostly) dismissive police officers and her fellow inmates, nothing about Lottie's own predicament regarding her own case. We'll see if the police take Lottie's warnings about the Zambian phone theft she knows is going to happen.

Also I liked Lottie's expression in this panel:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
rereading b.p.r.d. and hellboy. i think its pretty amusing that even the del toro films, which are pretty good movies, completely change the way hellboy acts as a character. i also think its amusing that the second movie has him team up with johann kraus, a character hellboy never met in the comics. i understand that the recent movie adapted hellboy: the wild hunt, but had hellboy still be a member of the bprd and partnered with ben daimyo, when during the events of that comic he had left the bprd a decade prior and never even knew daimyo existed. these are some of the best comics ive ever read btw

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

scary ghost dog posted:

rereading b.p.r.d. and hellboy. i think its pretty amusing that even the del toro films, which are pretty good movies, completely change the way hellboy acts as a character. i also think its amusing that the second movie has him team up with johann kraus, a character hellboy never met in the comics. i understand that the recent movie adapted hellboy: the wild hunt, but had hellboy still be a member of the bprd and partnered with ben daimyo, when during the events of that comic he had left the bprd a decade prior and never even knew daimyo existed. these are some of the best comics ive ever read btw

Too bad they end up with a sexual predator as the main writer

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
The movie version of Johann Kraus was a bit wack. I can't believe Del Toro fired Thomas Kretschmann and replaced him with loving Seth MacFarlane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Too bad they end up with a sexual predator as the main writer

what does, bprd? hellboy? the movies? genuinely unsure who youre referring to lol
edit: ah, the guy who wrote “the devil you know,” the most disappointing finale i could have imagined. well, i cant say im surprised

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 25, 2020