Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alternate timelines and killing the personification of destiny: Kingdom Hearts bullshit that has never appeared in a Final Fantasy game.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They can put as much of that weird stuff into the game as they want, I just wish it had more accompanying exposition so we don't have to deal with rampant speculation for two years.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SettingSun posted:

They can put as much of that weird stuff into the game as they want, I just wish it had more accompanying exposition so we don't have to deal with rampant speculation for two years.

lol what about the other 6

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Speculation is fun.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I at least hope they answer our current questions and just raise new ones to speculate on in the next installment.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I loving wish KH3 had half as much fun bullshit as people make it sound.

KH3 was mostly interminably boring with a few bright spots

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SettingSun posted:

Kitase seems to have made it clear that people going "WHAT THE gently caress?!" Over the ending was their intended goal and he's happy to see it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Alternate timelines and killing the personification of destiny: Kingdom Hearts bullshit that has never appeared in a Final Fantasy game.

Literally the first FF was about alternate timelines

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I just want a nice grounded final fantasy like they used to make. You know, where you are a ghost dream and you solve your dad problems by going into your dad whale's anus after singing him a lullaby.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Finished the game last night. What a fantastic, fascinating experience. Felt the same joy playing this as I did playing through Death Stranding and the MSQ for FFXIV Shadowbringers. I was just so pumped to see what was going to come next and I cannot wait for Part 2.

Post game speculation:
Guessing we'll be seeing Yuffie fairly early, and possibly Cid as well since the rocket program was brought a few times in the later parts of the game?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

SettingSun posted:

The rampant speculation and off the wall theorizing phase is like the best time to be a fan of something.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

No offense, but do you actually remember FF games? Cuz more than half the game has you kill the personification of death, oblivion, fate, time, etc... It's seriously baked into the games.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Thundercracker posted:

No offense, but do you actually remember FF games? Cuz more than half the game has you kill the personification of death, oblivion, fate, time, etc... It's seriously baked into the games.

I think that OP was leaning heavy on the sarcasm there.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Andrast posted:

I had a lot of spare time last year and I asked a superfan if I'd enjoy KH3 alone. He gave me a kind of ehhhhhh answer and when I said I'd probably play it high he rambled a bit until he just went "nah don't get it"

My main issue is how do you make a game where Daffy and Goofy lay smackdowns on budget Sephiroths that isn't a good high play smdh

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Andrast posted:

Bright side the DLC added 14 superbosses that all kicked rear end if you like hard action game stuff. Like it just plops you into a room you don't need any backstory for them and they kick your rear end, it's a lot of fun!

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Final Fantasy I being about time travel and having a space station full of warmechs makes a lot of sense if you look at what Western CRPGs were doing at the time, because there's a lot of that poo poo in games that at first glance look like your standard sword & board fantasy settings. Ultima I has you fly to space and do battle with TIE fighters, Ultima II has you travel through both time and space, Wizardry gives you a spaceship in VI, Might & Magic I goes full scifi towards the end and II is literally called "Gates to Another World", and so on

(also I just realized that Ultima is an isekai, gently caress)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What‘s fun about the ending discourse is that the developers knew exactly what the response was gonna be which is why the final line of the game is ”I miss the steel sky”

we are all just puppets dancing on nomura and nojima’s strings

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Augus posted:

What‘s fun about the ending discourse is that the developers knew exactly what the response was gonna be which is why the final line of the game is ”I miss the steel sky”

we are all just puppets dancing on nomura and nojima’s strings

I honestly love that final line and Briana White absolutely nails it with just the right mix of nostalgia, trepidation and maybe even a bit of hope.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

Briana White absolutely nails it

This but the whole character

I had never heard of her before, as an actress or a streamer, but she definitely came out swinging with the performance and I hope this leads to her getting more big roles

Veib fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 21, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

If this game doesn't sweep the music category at all the major game awards, gently caress this gay earth.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Might not be a big deal, but I would still keep my quote spoilered to be safe.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Veib posted:

This but the whole character

I had never heard of her before, as an actress or a streamer, but she definitely came out swinging with the performance and I hope this leads to her getting more big roles

She really wanted to play Aerith but didn't think she stood a chance, then went in and clearly smashed the audition. I thought she was awesome. All the VAs are great tbh.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Isn't Barret's VA also a huge Final Fantasy fan? Or was that just speculation?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yes, new FF7, but have you considered, old FF7? My FF7, and not other FF7? The only true FF7. Buy my book, about how I am the one who is right about FF7, which is the FF7 I like, and not anyone else's FF7. Why can't you be like the real FF7? My FF7. Bitch.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah. He said in an interview that he's into the series and that when he received info on playing Barret it was an untitled project, but he immediately recognised it was FF7.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Yes, new FF7, but have you considered, old FF7? My FF7, and not other FF7? The only true FF7. Buy my book, about how I am the one who is right about FF7, which is the FF7 I like, and not anyone else's FF7. Why can't you be like the real FF7? My FF7. Bitch.

This reminds me how much I loved Reno's "Nothing personal...bitch" line and Cloud's "Bring it on, bitch" line at the end of the game.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All of this VA talk is reminding me of that super weird fan petition to get the original AC cast back together instead and that "square ruined ff7" being the big rallying cry before the game even came out.

in short gamers are dumb

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Asema posted:

All of this VA talk is reminding me of that super weird fan petition to get the original AC cast back together instead and that "square ruined ff7" being the big rallying cry before the game even came out.

in short gamers are dumb

They tried to ruin it like four times but then they brought it back baby.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

People who play video games are the worst part of video games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Asema posted:

in short gamers are dumb

I refuse to believe anyone actually liked the English dub of Advent Children. I refuse. I reject that from my reality.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Harrow posted:

I refuse to believe anyone actually liked the English dub of Advent Children. I refuse. I reject that from my reality.

Dilly dally shilly shally...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

He's said it was the first JRPG he played back in the 90s and that he loved Barret as a character. Even if that was totally made up I still believe it, simply because his delivery is 100% how someone who played the game 22 years ago would imagine Barret sounded like. He guest starred on Briana White aka StrangeRebelGaming's channel a few months ago to play through some of the opening chapters of the original FFVII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7kwJgKW9wg

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

They've now changed their tune to "Release DLC of original Voice Cast" because of the reaction to the VA in FF7R but yeah it was a thing before launch.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The only time in the entire game I have reduced the difficulty to Easy was to get the bike game trophy because I got tired of replaying an 8 minute long section just to have Jessie poo poo talk my driving again. :arghfist::saddowns:

Also I stumbled across a thing that I wasn't aware of: if you're in a cutscene that transitions directly into a fight, holding down square will cause the menu to open up after the cutscene so you can adjust equipment before the fight starts.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

He's said it was the first JRPG he played back in the 90s and that he loved Barret as a character. Even if that was totally made up I still believe it, simply because his delivery is 100% how someone who played the game 22 years ago would imagine Barret sounded like. He guest starred on Briana White aka StrangeRebelGaming's channel a few months ago to play through some of the opening chapters of the original FFVII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7kwJgKW9wg

Oh that's awesome, and I totally want to believe that as well. The cast is fantastic.

EDIT: Watching the video and Bentley immediately starts pointing out the lighting and shadow effects of the opening FMV, so yeah, he's totally a fan lmao

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 21, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I want to see them finish the original game. So many great moments lef tto react to.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

This reminds me how much I loved Reno's "Nothing personal...bitch" line and Cloud's "Bring it on, bitch" line at the end of the game.

They both sounded like ten year olds cussing where they hesitate to say the word because they don't want their parents to hear and get in trouble.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Okay, thread. It's fine. It's fine. I will pay sixty dollars for a remake of one quarter of a videogame. You've activated enough FOMO that I am going to do this thing.

(also the demo helped)

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Ethiser posted:

They both sounded like ten year olds cussing where they hesitate to say the word because they don't want their parents to hear and get in trouble.

Yeah, it's the best. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

An old friend of mine, a giant fan of the original, won't touch this game with a 10 foot pole until the full thing is released. Hope he's okay waiting 10+ more years for that. This is a great game with a solid playtime attached to it so I just think he's being arbitrarily obstinate.