Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

xopods posted:

Without the # sign. I can tell Lumpen that I know his role name, if he's being truthful, is written as "Universal Backup 3" without a number sign. And that I know of a role that's the same but with the number 5. I don't know if that will help him think I'm Town but it should at least help him think I'm honest about this one thing.
So if you recognize this does nothing for your alignment why would you care about me thinking you're "honest about this one thing"?

Why are you softclaiming here at all?

xopods posted:

If you go back to my D1 I was extremely lazy overall but was mostly interested in the investigations and Lumpen's backup claim.
I did, and you weren't. And your hammer on Kashuno cut off 30 minutes of discussion.

xopods posted:

Actually, no, I went over Jeabus to try to find material to start the slap fight but he's probably town now that I read him.
What specifically about Jeabus did you find to be Towny on your reread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

chaoslord posted:

It doesn't matter if I think Bernie is the better candidate, when it gets near the November deadline and there are only two people who are viable anymore, I'm not gonna write Bernie in.

When they left, they knew they were going to be gone for the rest of the day. At that point, it looks like the vote was Kash 8 Jen 7 Lumpen 5, roughly 4 hours to deadline. They found a way to throw away their vote without having to take a stand about anyone that was in danger. And it turns out the voteleader was scum!

If they had played more than 1 game previous, I would be voting them for that.

Speaking of, looking at the votefinder I did notice something I forgot

##vote Pussy Quipped lmao voting for a no lunch D1 when we lunched a scum

Normally I'd agree that my nolunch vote was centrist bullshit but this isnt a normal game.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Sorry I didn't drop the hammer on someone I didn't think was scum i guess.

But that didn't stop me feeling the way I still do about hum. My reads might be bad, my posts might be bad, but I'm trying, so take that as you will.

Fwiw, a scum was nailed on D1 and it was a joy to find that out

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Lumpen posted:

Why are you softclaiming here at all?

Because I feel like in this setup it's better for people to just share whatever information they have without saying how they got it unless circumstances require a fullclaim. My D1 posting gimmick with the coded messages was going to be my way of doing that* but then I decided it would be too much work to keep up convincingly, even if half-jokingly, so I made the second message obviously fake so that someone would call me out on it and I could drop the schtick.

*: (I don't have role-related information that caused me to believe the N0 claims though, that was my own speculation)

quote:

I did, and you weren't. And your hammer on Kashuno cut off 30 minutes of discussion.

Hammer was an accident. Should have previewed. Wanted to say "oops" along with the hammer emoticon but decided even that much posting after hammer would be too much for a game with you in it.

quote:

What specifically about Jeabus did you find to be Towny on your reread?

The absence of things that seem scummy?

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

xopods posted:

The absence of things that seem scummy?

Could you try giving an even more generic answer than that?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Angelwolf posted:

Could you try giving an even more generic answer than that?

Probably, if I really tried. But it's the truth.

Everyone has their own theories about mafia and How to Do Scumhunting, but IMO the only "town tells" are meta-based. Unless I know the player, I'm looking for Things That Scum Do and if I don't see any of those, I believe the player to be Town because most players are Town.

Things That Scum Do:

• Have thoughts that reflect an inconsistent worldview. Not changing reads, because Townies change their minds, but seeming to see certain things two different ways at once, or interpreting a post first one way and then another based on changing motivations.
  • Behavior that's at odds with their stated motivations
  • Signs of selective reading and interpreting the data to fit a pre-selected conclusion. (Exception made for confirmation bias from a tunneling Townie)
  • Self-consciousness about engaging in things that are "classical scum tells" like OMGUS or +1'ing etc. (I do not believe these things are themselves scummy, though many do)
  • Attempts to subtly influence other people's thinking without outright agreeing or disagreeing with a case or making an alignment read.

For me, a "null read" is not an absence of anything (unless we're talking very early in the game and the person just hasn't posted enough). Rather, it's either just a little bit of the above things, or something ambiguously scummy, something that could be scummy or not depending on what they meant by certain words or what state of mind they were in when they posted, etc.

So if I say someone seems Town to me, it means they've posted enough that I think I can infer something of their view of the game and their supposed intentions, and that I don't see any signs of the above scummy behaviors.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

chaoslord posted:

It doesn't matter if I think Bernie is the better candidate, when it gets near the November deadline and there are only two people who are viable anymore, I'm not gonna write Bernie in.

Sorry about your lack of conviction!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Sorry about your lack of conviction!

Me too :(

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
whatever dude, I'm just saying what I feel and voting to reflect my own suspicions and I get that others might not always feel what I feel. You've got your own scum finding methods and I'm working on mine

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

And yet you’re not voting scum

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Would absolutely still vote xopods.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Lumpen posted:

Would absolutely still vote xopods.

You're just excited about being third in line for whatever awesome role I'm keeping secret.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
##vote xopods

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I don't know how to feel about this. I don't like being voted for, but I do like Lumpen being wrong. I guess I'm okay with it.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I’m still confident humalong is lying and is loving with us. I think it’s a good vote.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It7107ELQvY&t=35s

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

can we help you

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I RETURN

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

To make BAD POSTS

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

fuckin inflating your post count like a bastard

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

gently caress I can't think of anything

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

How the hell do you people just post all the time

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

Mr. Humalong (7): Leith Maclaine, Angelwolf, Quidthulhu, Pussy Quipped, Amnistar, Jonathan Fisk, xopods, flerp, xopods
Pussy Quipped (3): Mr. Humalong, Your Personal Muse, chaoslord
xopods (2): Jeabus Mahogany, Lumpen
flerp (1): b-minus1
Angelwolf (1): xopods
Leith Maclaine (1): Amnistar, Quidthulhu, Pussy Quipped, Toalpaz, Quidthulhu, Pussy Quipped, Amnistar, Toalpaz, Toalpaz
b-minus1 (1): Moatillata
xiw (0): SalTheBard, SalTheBard
A Sometimes Food (0): Your Personal Muse, Your Personal Muse
Your Personal Muse (0): Toalpaz, Toalpaz
Jeabus Mahogany (0): Lumpen, xopods, xopods, Lumpen

Not Voting (6): A Sometimes Food, Akarshi, cheese sandwich, dmboogie, SalTheBard, xiw

With 22 alive, it's 12 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 22nd, 2020 at 11 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 7 hours.

These players are ON NOTICE

If these players are still below my postcount on day 3 the CONSEQUENCES will begin.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

How the hell do you people just post all the time

It helps that I am neither town nor scum and am desthproof.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
just post broseph

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
like check this out ##vote jeabus scum found

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Amnistar posted:

It helps that I am neither town nor scum and am desthproof.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Look at this newb loving inflating his vote count, but just posting white noise. This is classic scum behavior.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

Anyway I still think xopods is scum, I'm feeling worse about boogie and I'm gonna re-read Angelwolf

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
u should vote for him sal

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Pussy Quipped posted:

fuckin inflating your post count like a bastard

Fuckkkk I knew I should've checked before making the same joke :(

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

Whenever I see Moat's name in the player list I'm like "oh right they're in this game." Would vote

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
How many posts do we need? HOW MANY?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Angelwolf posted:

How many posts do we need? HOW MANY?

Pig is at 35 posts right now, so you need more than Pig

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Also what happens if you're 'on notice'?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
It's really nuts

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Angelwolf posted:

Also what happens if you're 'on notice'?

I'm assuming if you are "on notice" twice in a row you become freely killable (meaning your death doesn't end the day)

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
How nuts? What happens?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Like Lumpen I would like to vote Xopods as well but it would be purely for OMGUS reasons so as of now I'm going to withhold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

SalTheBard posted:

I'm assuming if you are "on notice" twice in a row you become freely killable (meaning your death doesn't end the day)

Oh poo poo (i think?)