Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Just keep gluing fresh sheets on top. Researchers in the future will be able to estimate the age of your bench by counting the rings layers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Galler posted:

Just keep gluing fresh sheets on top. Researchers in the future will be able to estimate the age of your bench by counting the rings layers.

ah yeah just like with car floor mats, just throw another set on top when they wear out

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I ended up with a massive, unused conference room door that my friend salvaged off the dock of a large corporation in town. Trimmed it down and bolted it to some cabinets from Habitat Restore. Whatever finish it has is pretty hardy and has handled ten years of abuse so far.

Posted earlier but why not again:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Just noticed Costco has the QuickJack BL-7000SLX on sale for $1250 for a few more days.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I don't know what vehicle you have, but go to the quickjack website and make sure it's narrow enough to fit between your wheels. If it's a smaller car, you might find it doesn't fit. My 5000 fits between the wheels on my 996, but there isn't a ton of space. Pretty sure a 7000 would be a no-go.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah it's for trucks and SUVs looks like. Just throwing it out there.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
.... and on the opposite side of things, I found that my 5000SLX doesn't fit my new car in the normal way. Managed to lift it by putting the lift sideways. Worked well since the car is closer to 50/50 due to the hybrid battery. I only need to lift it to swap wheels 2 times a year so it's fine. Also another annoying thing about Quickjack is that in Europe it's hard to order anything without getting murdered by shipping (not even from the US, but from other euro countries).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Has any company created a floor coating that doesn't require you to sand the concrete first?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Has any company created a floor coating that doesn't require you to sand the concrete first?

Sure. If you don't care about it flaking off in a year.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

sharkytm posted:

Sure. If you don't care about it flaking off in a year.

Or you can pay double and get 2 years.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
You can rent a concrete grinder from a big box or equipment rental. Even my dumb self got that right.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

If you have a brick / concrete supply place they'll probably rent also. The one near me seems to have a full line of Hilti stuff for that purpose.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah but I'm lazy. It's easier to just hire someone to do all the work.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Yeah but I'm lazy. It's easier to just hire someone to do all the work.

If you hire an actual professional company that's been in business for a while, they:
1. Know what they're doing and should be efficient at it.
2. Have a warranty that (hopefully) you'll never use.
3. Know which products work best for your specific area/existing floor.

I followed the GarageJournal flooring forum for years, and the long story short is it's DIY'able, but there are dozens of potential pitfalls, and there is a huge amount of time required to do it correctly, even on reasonably good substrate. If you've got an older floor with a ton of oil spots, old sealer, or damage, it's a ton of extra work. I think it's kind of like doing roofing or tilework. It's not that hard from a technical standpoint, but the potential downsides are pretty massive. I ended up just leaving the concrete in my garage as-was, as it had old sealer in spots, tons of oil/chemical stains, and it wasn't worth spending the $$ to have a pro correct that and do a coating system. If I was building from scratch, I'd prep and DIY for sure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah my floor is gross, probably not worth the effort. My brother and I did our mother's garage and it sucked.

One project I plan to start on is patching some cracks and painting the entire garage. Then some new led fixtures. I wanted to do the floor to level it up a bit but I an probably live without it.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 29, 2020

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Probably better to put down some interlocking floor mats rather than spend money on the concrete then? I'd like to do so in mine, it's on The List

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ooh, a good option.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Ooh, a good option.
Yeah, RaceDeck is $$, but really nice. However, if you're bringing in a lot of water, it gets super gross under it and it should be pulled out and cleaned once in a while.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

sharkytm posted:

Yeah, RaceDeck is $$, but really nice. However, if you're bringing in a lot of water, it gets super gross under it and it should be pulled out and cleaned once in a while.

Define "bringing in a lot of water", I'm genuinely curious as I'm considering some sort of racedeck/competitor flooring and I know they have the drip through tiles and also the smoother ones, but I guess the interlocking parts aren't waterproof. Wondering if you mean snow melting off your car for months every winter or just like normal raindrops on the car as you pull into the garage.

Related followup, can you pull up just the pieces where the cars normally park or do you have to do the entire edges (aka where shelves and workbenches sit)?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So there are a few local epoxy installers, what kind of warranty is acceptable? I see options from 3 to 6 years at various costs.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

So there are a few local epoxy installers, what kind of warranty is acceptable? I see options from 3 to 6 years at various costs.

That sounds impossibly short for a permanent home installation. I'd look for no less than 20, or I'd worry about product/application issues.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

That sounds impossibly short for a permanent home installation. I'd look for no less than 20, or I'd worry about product/application issues.

I can't find anyone offering more than 8 locally.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

meatpimp posted:

I have no real idea how long an epoxy floor should last in normal use with proper application but most will be applied by a small local company that you should honestly evaluate if they will be around in 20 years to actually service the warranty.

I guess maybe look for a national epoxy making company that warranties through themselves and trains/selects local installers? Is that a thing?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Even if I was putting on the best coating ever, I wouldn't want to have 20 years of warranty to worry about as a small operator.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I can't find anyone offering more than 8 locally.

First hit on a google search for "epoxy floor warranty indiana" came up with lifetime: https://www.garageexperts.com/location/north-west-indiana

But that's for NW Indiana... who knows what NE Indiana does.

Edit: NE Indiana 15 years to lifetime: https://www.penntekcoatings.com/dealers/fort-wayne-in/garage-floor-coatings/

Do I need to pull your google license?

Edit 2: This company services NE Indiana and offers epoxy slurry. That's what you want if you can afford it. It's a layer of epoxy mixed with aggregate about 1/8-1/4" thick, or more. It's bombproof.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 8, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Edit 2: This company services NE Indiana and offers epoxy slurry. That's what you want if you can afford it. It's a layer of epoxy mixed with aggregate about 1/8-1/4" thick, or more. It's bombproof.

That's what we put in the bays of the fire house. It's well over 20 years old at the main station. All you need is a pressure washer to make it look brand new again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That doesn't even come up in my top 5 google searches, wtf. I need to sort out my plans pretty soon. I keep waffling on what I want to do as far as expanding the garage. One of my neighbors has a lean-to carport on the side of his house and it's really awesome and would be a fraction of the cost.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

No one has ever regretted having additional garage space, but if you're building it from scratch and paying out of pocket you still have to do a cost-benefit analysis. That said, I've had widely varying amounts of garage space over the years and more is always better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MomJeans420 posted:

No one has ever regretted having additional garage space, but if you're building it from scratch and paying out of pocket you still have to do a cost-benefit analysis. That said, I've had widely varying amounts of garage space over the years and more is always better.

We already have a full 2 bays plus space on both sides and a walk up attic above it. We have an 8x8 shed in the backyard for lawn crap overflow. I've started changing gears a bit here, there's no joy in working on cars myself much these days and I doubt I'm going to do my own oil changes ever again. The truck lives outside and I don't know what the next car will be yet but the days of 3 or 4 cars are also likely over.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
That may be one of the most depressing posts I've ever read in AI

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Crunchy Black posted:

That may be one of the most depressing posts I've ever read in AI

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm not the only one. I'd rather focus on other poo poo these days. Maybe when the world stops falling apart I will care about doing my own oil changes again.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've been in a similar boat for awhile. I'll still do oil changes and brakes and stuff but generally buy newer cars now that don't need much work in the first place. Roads suck here and it's not worth the expense. That said, I'd still want maximum garage space for projects and what not.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 9, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I'm the opposite vein, I've been immersing myself in messing with my car to avoid thinking about plague apocalypse.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

taqueso posted:

I'm the opposite vein, I've been immersing myself in messing with my car to avoid thinking about plague apocalypse.

I got a surprising amount of joy from doing a simple rear brake job last week, drawing it out, cleaning everything, inspecting everything, re-cleaning everything. It's something familiar that I can take my time with, I know the end result, and I can just enjoy the process. I want more simple poo poo to wear out but I'm driving so little it'll be a while.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When the MS6 exploded on me it was nothing but a huge headache and just reaffirmed that I was done with that poo poo. I'd rather just pay people to fix my poo poo these days.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

Rhyno posted:

When the MS6 exploded on me it was nothing but a huge headache and just reaffirmed that I was done with that poo poo. I'd rather just pay people to fix my poo poo these days.

I hope I never, ever become you.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Maybe its because all our cars are too reliable and only need regular maintenance, or maybe I've been watching too much mustie1, but I started pulling lawnmowers out of the trash (much to my wife's chagrin) to have something to wrench on. First one is a really nice self propelled guy that probably originally sold for $250-$300 and looks like it's just going to need a $4 spring to get it up and running.

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008

opengl128 posted:

Maybe its because all our cars are too reliable and only need regular maintenance, or maybe I've been watching too much mustie1, but I started pulling lawnmowers out of the trash (much to my wife's chagrin) to have something to wrench on. First one is a really nice self propelled guy that probably originally sold for $250-$300 and looks like it's just going to need a $4 spring to get it up and running.

That has quickly become my favorite YouTube channel. He’s always calm, humble and very informative. I really much prefer working on small engines these days or a car I’m really familiar with. If I’m in a short timeframe to get a car up and running it’s not enjoyable though too, so some times if you have older cars having an extra for a certain function is nice or just doing a lot of planning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

I'm there. Doing two driveway H6 swaps in an Outback (one self-inflicted and un-needed) in a month killed part of me*. I bought a Camry Hybrid and I'm a boat guy now. Plenty to fix that still hits the right part of my brain, and now I have another place to drink beer with my fat buddies and hopefully do some 6mph racing.

And I finally did a garage thing I've been thinking about for years. My one-car has benches on opposite sides, both 42-44" tall and deep 32" deep. That meant the back foot of each bench became a crapzone, where I'd just push poo poo back to free up workspace at the front of the bench.

I cut up one of the benches to shorten it about 3" and took it down to 24" depth. Now I can easily reach the back of the bench, the shelf above it, comfortably circle a set of sawhorses setup in the middle of the garage and I have more incentive to put poo poo away when I'm done.

*It'll come back if I ever have a room for a 100% toy car.