Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

RoS isn't dense or attractive.

A+

I'd certainly put RotS over tRoS overall. I think Rise of Skywalker was maaaaybe a better theater experience? The action was a bit more consistent. But Revenge of the Sith was an actual attempt to wrap up the trilogy it was part of and actually brought most of the storylines in that trilogy to a good conclusion/proper cliffhanger for the OT.
Skywalker vs Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones is... I'm going to not consider that.

I think a big thing with the prequels though is they lend themselves very, very well to fanfic and other fandom-side content. A lot of what's wrong with them as movies are movie-making problems or problems of not following through on the concepts they introduced, both of which are easily solved by an engaged, active fan community. gently caress, Lucasfilm itself made what amounts to a 5 6 7 season animated fan series and it's one of the most beloved things they ever made, specifically because it looked at all the plot lines and themes left fallow in between the films and followed them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Everything after the first Star Wars is trash.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm trying to think of something that the ST and PT both do badly or that they both do well and I can't think of much.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Zedd posted:

Hbomb did release a video like 2 months ago, but it is apparently patron exclusive until christmas.

That's a shame. I am currently more poor than I have been in recent years thanks to the pandemic and can't patreon peeps. But all of my favorite creators are moving towards very long patreon exclusive timelines (Hbomb and Shaun in particular) which just really slays me. Oh well, they get to decide the value of their work and not I and I'm glad they're seeing success. I guess I'll be seeing their stuff in like a year.

Mr Phillby posted:

Tbh people being loud and obnoxious about not liking a star wars film recently led to the most worthless star wars film in the series so while I don't think the prequels are very good films I am baffled by how mad they made me in the past. More power to any freak who willingly sits through and enjoys attack of the clones imo.

I'd like to think it'll make people, rabid fans mostly, reconsider the way they approach media criticism and critique to some degree, but I know it won't.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I expect most who grew up on the prequels react to them now like Marcus from The Cosmonaut Variety Hour, and the critical discourse won't change because at heart they are best deeply flawed and terribly directed. Lucas can't even get Natalie Portman to muster anything beyond at best dull surprise over Anakin killing a whole village and that hasn't gone away because we got another trilogy that was like 40%-ish percent good. Taking away people like Marcia Lucas or Irving Kershner kind of lay George revealed to the world.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The only major shift I've seen in merch and what you'd vaguely call consensus is that the new generation likes Anakin a lot along with all the clone troopers they introduced, and Darth Maul stayed popular or maybe got a little more popular thanks to all his new story stuff. The Clone Wars series did a ton to rehab the characters themselves, but yeah, once you start actually rewatching the prequels all the actual movie issues are still there.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The first Star Wars is campy fun and the second one is very pretty, but honestly the universe where Star Wars was the only one is a far better place to live.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The first Star Wars is campy fun and the second one is very pretty, but honestly the universe where Star Wars was the only one is a far better place to live.

Something I think about a lot wrt Star Wars is Coppola saying that Star Wars being so successful was the worst thing to happen to George Lucas (as an artist, of course).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zedd posted:

Hbomb did release a video like 2 months ago, but it is apparently patron exclusive until christmas.

Wake me up when we get an indepth look at the themes of the Fast & Furious movies and why they are actually a D&D campaign. Not even joking.

Nah, they're a Mage: the Ascension campaign where everyone's Foci are car-related.

Car Wizards.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Srice posted:

Something I think about a lot wrt Star Wars is Coppola saying that Star Wars being so successful was the worst thing to happen to George Lucas (as an artist, of course).

That reminds me of Bill Murray saying Ghostbusters peaked forty-five minutes into the franchise.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dawgstar posted:

That reminds me of Bill Murray saying Ghostbusters peaked forty-five minutes into the franchise.

is that the timestamp for right before the movie shifted towards scaremongering about environmental regulations

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm trying to think of something that the ST and PT both do badly or that they both do well and I can't think of much.

That's no accident. Being "not the prequels" is the only identity the ST films share between them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nah, they're a Mage: the Ascension campaign where everyone's Foci are car-related.

Car Wizards.

Unknown Armies: Automancers

ElLoco
Apr 21, 2020

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K96w5QF-lAs

I know this is two days late...but Todd in the Shaddows takes a look at Rythem of the Night by Corona.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Just saw the new Jimquisition where he talks about FF7 spoilers. Did the term "vertical slice" really originate as a bullshit thing Randy Pitchford said about Aliens: Colonial Marines, and all this time it's been a joke I don't get?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Solitair posted:

Just saw the new Jimquisition where he talks about FF7 spoilers. Did the term "vertical slice" really originate as a bullshit thing Randy Pitchford said about Aliens: Colonial Marines, and all this time it's been a joke I don't get?

no

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Vertical slice refers to the part at the start of Colonial Marines where the travel tube between the two space ships gets cut in half.

I haven't seen the Jimquisition video so if :thejoke: then I'm sorry.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Solitair posted:

"vertical slice" is a game developer term for a fully working segment of a game meant to demonstrate the disparate parts of the core gameplay loop working together, basically something that gives an impression of how the overall game will play without having to build more data or assets than necessary to do so

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

CYBEReris posted:

"vertical slice" is a game developer term for a fully working segment of a game meant to demonstrate the disparate parts of the core gameplay loop working together, basically something that gives an impression of how the overall game will play without having to build more data or assets than necessary to do so

Okay, that's how I thought it worked. Whoops.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

WHat kind of kills all of Star wars for me, as someone who is a MASSIVE fan and originally planned to go to Disney World this summer, is that because of the fan reaction to Last Jedi and what Rise of Skywalker ended up being. All the Star Wars is going to be as a franchise is "Hey, remember those really good Sci-fi action movies that were made in the late 70s-early 80s that you watched over and over again as a kid? Remember how those movies made you feel? Don't you wanna feel like that forever? Don't you want to relive those three movies forever?"

The honest answer is no, I don't. I love the OT, but I've been wanting so much more out of the franchise. I never got into the Extended universe stuff really but I LOOOOOOVE the KOTOR Games. Archaic by now, but If you never played them, go watch a LP of both games at least. Especially the second one which takes on the ideas of why the Jedi fail so much better than the PT and maybe even Last Jedi does. And Last Jedi is not a perfect movie but it gave such a good direction to take it in.

Both stories succeed because they treat what should be the parts of star Wars that should never be questioned "Luke is the greatest Jedi ever. THe Jedi are pure and can do no wrong" And hurls them against the wall as hard as they can. If any franchise needed that, it's Star Wars. The JEdi are trash, now what? How to you make new heroes or even new Jedi after that?

I love Luke Skywalker, but this need for him to be this badass in Last Jedi is exactly why I was so dreading the idea of new Star Wars movies at all. I know Mark Hammel is not THAT old, But I dont need to see an older Luke Skywalker running around. Didn't we learn our lesson with Indiana Jones?

Kill your darlings folks.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 22, 2020

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The jedi being wrong as all hell is what made the best Star Wars stories the best ones, what do you meeeeean enforcing a pseudo-religious order that demands you deaden yourself to emotion could blow up in our faces?!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BigRed0427 posted:

Both stories succeed because they treat what should be the parts of star Wars that should never be questioned "Luke is the greatest Jedi ever. THe Jedi are pure and can do no wrong" And hurls them against the wall as hard as they can. If any franchise needed that, it's Star Wars. The JEdi are trash, now what? How to you make new heroes or even new Jedi after that?

The films have consistently portraying the Jedi as being trash since film #1 in '77.

Fandom perception of Star Wars is hugely divorced from the content of the films.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

The jedi being wrong as all hell is what made the best Star Wars stories the best ones, what do you meeeeean enforcing a pseudo-religious order that demands you deaden yourself to emotion could blow up in our faces?!

KotOR 2 movie now where Kreia sits you down and tells you how stupid the Jedi and Sith ideologies are.

Leal fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 22, 2020

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Srice posted:

It blows my mind that Lucas made SW after getting passed over to do Apocalypse Now; and kind of buckwild of him to see in interviews talk about how he based the Rebellion on the Viet Cong

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Even the less ambitious original KotOR did a decent job of more nuanced issues and characters. I remember liking the whole trial subplot, although I'm a sucker for trial plots in RPGs anyway. The setup of having The Republic commit a spy games murder and the game forcing you to choose between a range of lesser evils and whether to do dark poo poo to support the Republic against the Sith was cool. Or even a character as basic as Jolee, a burned-out Jedi pissed off at their ban on love and emotion, who still throws his life away trying to stop you from going dark side again.

There's so much room for cool stuff at the edges of Star Wars.

In fairness, they might be getting smarter about that again. The Mandalorian's success seems to have left an impression. Like I said, I think if Solo had been happy with just being a heist movie or an adventure movie set in the universe, it would have been much better received.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

There's so much room for cool stuff at the edges of Star Wars.

In fairness, they might be getting smarter about that again. The Mandalorian's success seems to have left an impression. Like I said, I think if Solo had been happy with just being a heist movie or an adventure movie set in the universe, it would have been much better received.

THIS, this is what I wanted to hit at. Theres so many cool things on the edges that should be explored. Why did we have to come back to the Skywalkers?

THen again, I would push for more mysticism and weird-trippy poo poo in star wars over a war story. Stuff like the cave in TLJ.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

That's no accident. Being "not the prequels" is the only identity the ST films share between them.

Yeah but it holds for other things that the prequels did well like Williams' score.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

It blows my mind that Lucas made SW after getting passed over to do Apocalypse Now; and kind of buckwild of him to see in interviews talk about how he based the Rebellion on the Viet Cong

He has interesting ideas sometimes but absolutely no idea how to communicate them clearly. Americans doing WWII dogfights to fight an empire full of british nazis does summon some political ideas for an American audience, but not that they're cheering for the viet cong resisting the true evil empire America.

Ewoks, on the other hand...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Yea and he internally referred to the emperor as Nixon too. I've always found that aspect of him interesting since he doesn't seem to be particularly outspoken about politics but that sure is a statement!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Srice posted:

Yea and he internally referred to the emperor as Nixon too. I've always found that aspect of him interesting since he doesn't seem to be particularly outspoken about politics but that sure is a statement!

He hosed with his neighbors when they tried to prevent low-income housing from being built in their enclave. He’s not good at expressing his politics in film like Craven or Carpenter, but he can be pretty sharp.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1252758562369142784?s=20

hbomb 'bout to end his own internet persona

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i guess he really doesnt know how to defend the prequels. i just watched them with my best friend and they are still pretty loving bad. ST are mixed but mostly fun and good(outside the last one which was rushed and dumb with some fun but no balls) but i will take any of them over loving boring, terribly paced and acted/scripted prequels. and i am a dude who grew up with the prequels.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

He has interesting ideas sometimes but absolutely no idea how to communicate them clearly. Americans doing WWII dogfights to fight an empire full of british nazis does summon some political ideas for an American audience, but not that they're cheering for the viet cong resisting the true evil empire America.

Ewoks, on the other hand...

IIRC, he wanted to have more diverse cast but the studio didn't let him. He thought about casting a black guy for Han Solo, and when he got more control he wrote Lando and had a much more diverse background cast.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

He hosed with his neighbors when they tried to prevent low-income housing from being built in their enclave. He’s not good at expressing his politics in film like Craven or Carpenter, but he can be pretty sharp.

yeah, i think lucas is a genuinely good man who just doesnt know how to make his vision coherent or good without heavy amounts of trimming and others saying no. he basically fell in love with computer tech and thought that could carry a movie. they have bad direction and pacing and for any good ideas they have, they are buried in bullshit and bad plotting and uncessery padding/etc.

i am more disappointment by the prequels than angry. sure they suck but i still have good memories "around" them like seeing them with friends or my dad and going to lucas ranch for make a wish. what i dont get i guess is the folks who think they are the best movies or genuinely better or as good as the originals. because holy poo poo they arnt.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sjws ruined star wars by injecting politics into a series about how the processes of a complacent democratic institution can be subverted and seized by fascists working within the system.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

A video I'd really like to see would be someone talking about how important Attack of the Clones was to digital filmmaking.

A handful of full-length films had been shot entirely on digital before it but it was the first one with a real budget and drove cinemas to convert to digital projectors.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
hbomb:

twitter:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Make the British man defend 'I'm in love/No I'M in love!' DO IT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If Hbomb wants to make a video to actually end his career he should make one about his somethingawful posting before he went woke for cash.