Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Tin Tim posted:

Ah dang

I mean the description makes it sound like it's decent but old and not high quality. But going by what you said this should be a fake then?

The armor seems real good though. 12 C/B res for very low encumbrance. Seems like I should replace my armored leather vest and leather arm guards with that.

Yeah thats definitely fake. You can still use it and it'll work, but IIRC fake weapons easily break in the middle of a fight which is not good. I can't remember if the raw stats are appreciably worse than the real deal, been a while since I got my hands on a fake vs a real one.

e: actually I'm wrong, apparently there are 3 tiers: tier one is fake mall ninja crap, tier 2 is real but badly damaged and not repairable (it looks like you have this one) and tier 3 is the real deal in good nick.

Tier 2 judging from the stats is still decent so I'd still keep hold of that one, just don't expect to be able to fix it when it wears down.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

PiCroft posted:

e: actually I'm wrong, apparently there are 3 tiers: tier one is fake mall ninja crap, tier 2 is real but badly damaged and not repairable (it looks like you have this one) and tier 3 is the real deal in good nick.

Tier 2 judging from the stats is still decent so I'd still keep hold of that one, just don't expect to be able to fix it when it wears down.
Thanks for looking that up!

I'm done with the mansion now but I found a hidden metal door that I can't open. Guess that's a panic/store room so I'll come back once I found a sledge or pickaxe. There is a steel mill in my area which I assume is a top tier spot for such tools. But it's also fairly big and probably filled to the brim with zombies. Might take this on in the coming days with the katana since the increased damage should help out with killing faster than I'm doing with the crude sword right now. Also found a pump shotty but with two shells it's not gonna get me far. Might have to look into making my own shells.

Also if I understand the relation between focus and xp gain right then I'm starting to dislike the system. I mean I sliced through like 50 zombies while clearing the mansion and my cutting skill is at 2(96%). I started with 2 and few percent and really expected to gain a level from all this combat. But my focus was constantly in the dumpster while fighting which I assume also tanked my xp gain. I mean even driving up to the mansion tanked my focus into around 30 and lol at sitting around for hours to recover it before going in :shrug:

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Tin Tim posted:

Also if I understand the relation between focus and xp gain right then I'm starting to dislike the system. I mean I sliced through like 50 zombies while clearing the mansion and my cutting skill is at 2(96%). I started with 2 and few percent and really expected to gain a level from all this combat. But my focus was constantly in the dumpster while fighting which I assume also tanked my xp gain. I mean even driving up to the mansion tanked my focus into around 30 and lol at sitting around for hours to recover it before going in :shrug:

Always have an MP3 player plugged in, or when driving use a car stereo system. Music is one of the largest morale bonuses you can get and it being barred behind only some mild battery consumption makes it basically free (or literally free for a car with solar panels) which helps appreciably with focus.

It won’t make focus not terribly unpleasant, but it’ll help!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

IIRC you can also turn off skills from using focus/gaining exp. so once you got your driving skill up a few points turn off driving’s skill gains so it doesn’t eat up all your focus in transit.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

BlondRobin posted:

Always have an MP3 player plugged in, or when driving use a car stereo system. Music is one of the largest morale bonuses you can get and it being barred behind only some mild battery consumption makes it basically free (or literally free for a car with solar panels) which helps appreciably with focus.

It won’t make focus not terribly unpleasant, but it’ll help!
Yeah the mp3 players was mentioned before but it's just so counterintuitive to use it while you're running through a world that constantly wants to kill you :v:

I have a several by now so I'll just start to carry some with me in the car

Galaga Galaxian posted:

IIRC you can also turn off skills from using focus/gaining exp. so once you got your driving skill up a few points turn off driving’s skill gains so it doesn’t eat up all your focus in transit.
Oh hey that's good to know!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The best way to focus on improving your swordplay is to constantly direct your attention to music, comics and maybe some pocky if you can find some.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Honestly they've really "de-gamed" the driving stat so feel free to turn off the xp gain for that at the start and just work on your driving skill through books. You can actually drive with 0 skill, no longer do you struggle to keep the wheel straight going 10 down a straight road.

Would be nice if they did that with throw so having 0 throw skill means you drop grenades right next to your feet :v:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Again, thx for the good input!

I wish there would be an easy way to check and compare your armor ratings. Seems like it really should be a part of the menu for layering clothes. Speaking off, how exactly do layers work? Like does armor stack on any given zone or is it calculated per layer? I assume it goes by layers so when you take a hit the game checks if the top layer gets penetrated and then continues if neccessary until it reaches your body.

I upgraded my current outfit to nomad gear with survivor gloves and leather armor boots and my trusty army helmet. Now I need to find more kevlar to make an mbr vest with kevlar plates. That should keep me covered until I can get into survivor armor.

The leather armor boots seem a little too good compared to combat boots and other high-grade footwear btw. But that can be said for a few items and I guess getting them all into balance is more hassle than it's worth. For instance I can strap iron greaves to my legs for 12 B/C res for a laughable 6 encumbrance which costs me like 0,5% dodge and two extra move points on running. The metal arm guards are way more punishing and the greaves should probably be in line with them. But as said balance in this game is probably a huge headache.

E: Dang the katana I found does not work with medieval swordsmanship :(

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 21, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Got the latest experimental and rolling a few lab starts, this version loves just starting you at the finale.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
even better would just be removing the driving stat entirely until they made it do something interesting. the inherent imprecision in how vehicles maneuver means that nobody in the history of history has tried to do some kind of powerslide move or hand brake turn where your driving skill would actually matter. being a loving idiot with the steering wheel from time to time is not interesting nor impactful.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 21, 2020

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

But as said balance in this game is probably a huge headache.

The thing about balance in this game is that the current lead devs are all for "realism" over such futile things as "gameplay" or "balance". They'll ask you (randomly, depending on a dev specific pet peeve) to explain any change you make regarding weapon damage by providing complete calculations of the projectile speed and force of impact, while ignoring stuff like having sane gear progression. Just gotta take a look at how bows went from completely useless, to better than most guns, to completely useless again to see it in action.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

SpacePope posted:

The thing about balance in this game is that the current lead devs are all for "realism" over such futile things as "gameplay" or "balance".
I saw that sentiment pop up a few times while I was looking up stuff around the net and yeah I can see it. It's a thing that tends to happen with fringe and complex games like this :can:

So uh how does one deal with military zombies before you have high-powered guns? I currently have one on my heels and my crude sword and katana just bounce. I have a glock with me but sadly it's loaded with JHP and does 6 damage to him. Right now my plan is to just tank him unti my stamina recovers and then run away and get back to base. But even if that works I still need to come up with a way to kill him because I had to leave my car behind near 40 zombie corpses that I previously cut down and didn't check for loot

E: Oh hey I smashed him to death with a crowbar lol

And he had an M4 plus a ballistic vest and some other neat gear. That totally made the scare he gave me worth it

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 21, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SpacePope posted:

The thing about balance in this game is that the current lead devs are all for "realism" over such futile things as "gameplay" or "balance".

Looking up tips for science lab and prison break outs the lead dev said he doesn't care if there is a possibility to spawn into a situation where you literally cannot escape cause life isn't fair. Which was something else. Like whatever mechanic changes for "realism" whatever, but having the game go "gently caress you" after I waste hours before I realize I'm in a fail state, come on man. I guess at least science labs aren't like that anymore since the finale always has a scientist ID.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

SpacePope posted:

The thing about balance in this game is that the current lead devs are all for "realism" over such futile things as "gameplay" or "balance". They'll ask you (randomly, depending on a dev specific pet peeve) to explain any change you make regarding weapon damage by providing complete calculations of the projectile speed and force of impact, while ignoring stuff like having sane gear progression. Just gotta take a look at how bows went from completely useless, to better than most guns, to completely useless again to see it in action.

Note that they only do this when it can be used as an excuse for adding more hurdles and gatekeeping to the game. Realism is not a goal of the game or developers; it’s just an argument that can be used to shut down attempts to talk about how to make the game better, because the developers’ goals aren’t always to make a better game. You’ll almost never see anyone make a change in the name of “realism” that makes the game easier to play.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Some of the changes feel very Tarkov-esque, in that the head dev has never actually played the game and so any potential change has to climb this massive wall of his idea of what the game "should" be like. Like, the hunger changes theoretically make sense but in practice make it so that the hunger meter is completely useless

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Could use a few tips about how to cook without destroying yourself. Like I have a stove that was in the kitchem of my house and the fire stays in place which is nice. But every time I cook something that takes longer my guy overheats real hard and gets hosed up by that. Do I really have to strip down to my boxers because fire is such a clusterfuck in the game?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Stand 5 spaces from the fire. Preferably next to a window or door.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Could use a few tips about how to cook without destroying yourself. Like I have a stove that was in the kitchem of my house and the fire stays in place which is nice. But every time I cook something that takes longer my guy overheats real hard and gets hosed up by that. Do I really have to strip down to my boxers because fire is such a clusterfuck in the game?

Make a hobo stove and use that for cooking instead. Much more fuel efficient, no cooking yourself/burning your house down on accident.

Everyone asking "how do I weapon" questions: the answer is spears with reach attacks. You don't need to wear armor if you never get hit.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You can also take a sheet of scrap metal and beat it into a brazier.

Adequate Panther
Oct 28, 2013

Yeah, just step back. You don't need to be right next to it to use it for cooking.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Last time I played, opening a door or two to let the heat escape was enough. I think there's some button you can press to see the heat status around you but I don't remember what button it was.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Adequate Panther posted:

Yeah, just step back. You don't need to be right next to it to use it for cooking.
Yeah I kinda should have known that since I already figured out that the crafting menu pulls in a distance around you buut :v:

I'll give it a try next time I cook

Arven posted:

Make a hobo stove and use that for cooking instead. Much more fuel efficient, no cooking yourself/burning your house down on accident.
Is there really that much of a difference? The stove in my house also contains the fire and I kinda don't care about fuel since I got plenty of wood around

Also I've been working on getting into this steel mill for the last two game days. Made my approach from the east and and have killed around 100 zombies just from kiting them out into the field in small numbers. I moved in and killed a few more roamers and then saw the parking lot at the SE edge of the mill...there's another 40 zombies I can see and I assume a few more in the in the area above them that I can't see into. Plus there sure are more roamers in the buildings and in some nooks or corners in the area of the mill. What I'm saying is holy poo poo there sure are a lot of enemies for this being a random steel mill out in the country

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
The hobo stove is an item that runs off charges so it completely sidesteps the problem of fires.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

BlondRobin posted:

Note that they only do this when it can be used as an excuse for adding more hurdles and gatekeeping to the game. Realism is not a goal of the game or developers; it’s just an argument that can be used to shut down attempts to talk about how to make the game better, because the developers’ goals aren’t always to make a better game. You’ll almost never see anyone make a change in the name of “realism” that makes the game easier to play.

The rework to make realistic levels of loot is a pretty huge change which makes the game much easier

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

The rework to make realistic levels of loot is a pretty huge change which makes the game much easier

From what I understand its a prelude to adding in npcs who will hoover up all of the loot if you aren't quick enough.

The same npcs who right now can snap shot you with an assualt rifle the turn they see you, or if they're feeling charitable the turn after they tell you to drop your weapons.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you're running Aftershock, keep your eye out for a power cutter. With a little Mechanics know-how you can turn it into a murdersaw

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Dire Lemming posted:

The hobo stove is an item that runs off charges so it completely sidesteps the problem of fires.
Ohhhh now that does make it a lot more interesting. Gonna at least make one for my crafting station in the basement

Also I did cook again and standing a few tiles to the side of the oven did the trick. I also opened the windows just in case :v:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
How concerned should I be if I see "The ground trembles below your feet"? I think something exploded underground at some point as well but I have no idea whats happening otherwise.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Carcer posted:

From what I understand its a prelude to adding in npcs who will hoover up all of the loot if you aren't quick enough.

The same npcs who right now can snap shot you with an assualt rifle the turn they see you, or if they're feeling charitable the turn after they tell you to drop your weapons.

There should be a pause on adding more different monster types and a rework on gunplay so that if the player is in the sights of something else they can actually do something about it. I feel like NPCs should be mid-late game enemies where after the zombies get cleared out and you get situated that they start banding up and making moves to raid you and each other.

And in making things not so hyper accurate the player can actually shoot at turrets without their auto return fire sending 4 shots to the chest at sniper range.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's just so blatant that enemies and NPCs use an entirely different aiming system than we do. To get any kind of accuracy you have to spend several seconds lining up a shot, and readjusting for recoil after firing. Everyone else though? Popping off shots with high accuracy the second you're visible. Turrets I sort of get, they don't have to deal with those as much, but they should still have a few moments of zeroing in on you, at least for dramatic flair. Bandits and the like have no loving excuse, though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Carcer posted:

Yes but for once at least a half assed rework makes the game temporarily easier rather than harder or just broken (actually another one is the bulletproof vests being completely impenetrable and indestructable because they haven't done item degradation yet)

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 22, 2020

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
If I attach a sword bayonet to an AR-15 or something and use it to block a ton, does the rifle take damage or the bayonet?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Is there true projectile dispersion in the gun mechanics the game uses? Like when I blast some buckshot into a group of zombies will the pellets hit multiple targets?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Angry Diplomat posted:

Tapering off is generally best right at the very start; once you have a good safehouse and a decent stockpile of survival supplies, you can try going cold turkey. The penalties for severe withdrawal are unpleasant - best to avoid having those coincide with active looting or crafting.
Thanks! But now I realize I don't actually know what any of the timing is - when is it safe to take another drink? I've been putting off going into town until the shakes go away, mostly just smashing up shacks for wood and foraging in the woods.
Does addiction still function like on the wiki? Start at 20, wait through 200 minutes of withdrawal to get to 9, 90 minutes to get to 3, and so on?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Is there true projectile dispersion in the gun mechanics the game uses? Like when I blast some buckshot into a group of zombies will the pellets hit multiple targets?

Nope, shot shells are treated as a single projectile, usually (always?) with dispersion 0 to simulate the cone of shot making it easier to hit. Compare to shotgun slugs which have dispersion.

E: Automatic weapons do this though, each shot is its own projectile which can miss or hit other zombies.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 22, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Rip my dreams of clearing groups with my cool new shotgun :qq:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Shotgun still owns for taking down groups of zombies because you basically never miss.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
A grenade is a shotgun that you throw the shot of.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Grenades are slow motion suicide machines. (Except the underbarrel ones, those will kill your rear end the next time you try to switch to full auto.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Shotgun still owns for taking down groups of zombies because you basically never miss.
I found this snazzy remington 1100 on a corpse. Even came with a match-trigger and recoil stock so I was getting my hopes up. I guess with 10 shells in the tube it still does good crowd clearing work but taking on a group of 30+ still seems ill advised to me. And that was what I was hoping to do with buckshot spread

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Grenades are slow motion suicide machines.
Can you elaborate on that a bit? I found a few on the military zombies I killed and was thinking that I maybe could use them to dispatch the group that currently gives me trouble. I still got throwing zero though so it was just a very distant idea