Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Super Mario Maker 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Edit Super mArio Maker Free

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

Edit Super mArio Maker Free

i'll take it

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I made this level while waiting for the new update to land: SNN-PS7-WKF Hat Track Attack

I felt inspired in a way I haven't in a long time. It's not a difficult or flashy course, but once I worked out the main gameplay concept, I found I was able to fit it into a pleasing structure.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

supermario taking a poo poo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

working on 5 levels is tough

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

World Maker is literally what I dreamed of as a child. Thank you Nintendo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've got work to do today but all I can think about is finishing my level that I'm making. Mario Maker ftw.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I made a world with 4 new levels and one old one.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
First level in like 6 months. Tried to explore some of the cool stuff you can do with the boomerang. Medium (?) difficulty technical level. I think it turned out pretty cool.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
evileagle is really living up to the first part of his name with his frog suit course

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

World maker owns and is ostensibly more exciting to me than any other new feature they added in 2

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lol I tried to find this one. Really want to play it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

American McGay posted:

Medium (?) difficulty technical level

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Based Nintendo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bgg4GL-nFk

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

thats cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i made 5 more levels I've been a Mario maker fiend since this update came out

2-1 Deadly Desert H1W-NBM-K3G
2-A Cap Trials: Squirrel Slip-up P6N-6CR-3SF
2-B Cap Trials: Billious Bill DG2-8DS-FLF
2-C Cap Trials: Capricious Cannons S2W-C9Q-HTF
2-2 Nightfall in Deadly Desert 12T-KDR-45G

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

the update is incredibly cool and it's more than i could have asked for but still there's part of me that's like... man now i wish i could make levels with secret exits and switch palaces lol

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Fiend Matador posted:

the update is incredibly cool and it's more than i could have asked for but still there's part of me that's like... man now i wish i could make levels with secret exits and switch palaces lol

I was really pulling for SMB2 to be a full game mode and not a powerup so I get being weirdly bothered by that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

multiplayer ftw

http://twitter.com/In__Training/status/1255335606382743552

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1255335966920912897

https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1255336897423040513

https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1255337776876314624

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
toad yelling OH NO ftw

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

elf help book posted:

toad yelling OH NO ftw

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Got back into this the other day and made a level for the first time. Was going for hard, but fun. Would love feedback.

10Q-GM9-JHF

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Tofu Injection posted:

Got back into this the other day and made a level for the first time. Was going for hard, but fun. Would love feedback.

10Q-GM9-JHF
I played it and enjoyed it and then went back to speedrun it. Was pretty challenging at first but nothing felt impossible or random and after a while it was a breeze, which is a good quality for a hard level.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Thanks, man, good to know I'm on the right track.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
The final section can be skipped completely, but I'm a big fan of skips both intentional and unintentional.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

I made this level while waiting for the new update to land: SNN-PS7-WKF Hat Track Attack

I felt inspired in a way I haven't in a long time. It's not a difficult or flashy course, but once I worked out the main gameplay concept, I found I was able to fit it into a pleasing structure.

this was a fun gimmick that ramped nicely. Good work

Tofu Injection posted:

10Q-GM9-JHF

i dont usually play hard levels so idk what to compare it to but i did bother to finish this at least so A+. the good thing about it for a hard level is it has that design where the hardest jump in a section is in like the first second of the nearest checkpoint, so you're either gonna die immediately or progress through all the hard parts for a while. which is good for making you want to try again and again. also i skipped the entire last section which i appreciated.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
I did not know about the skip :(.

Its cool though, that section was fairly short and comparatively easy anyway.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In Training posted:

thank you for playing my level

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Short joke level 5D7-STM-XLF

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

In Training posted:

I dug this as well and now I want to try and do something shellmet themed. They are fun.

Making levels is addictive. Clear checking them... not so much. Here is my attempt at making something difficult with a catsuit: 3M3-SMX-WBG

The last part of each section is cheesable because of how powerups work, but I'm not sure how I could have avoided it. In general it seems like a challenge to make hard levels in 3d world; Very few things exist in the toolset that hurt the player.

Tofu Injection fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 5, 2020

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
I can't figure out how to get past the part after the first spring. They seem to have removed the ability to dive back onto the wall you were already climbing and double the height.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Jump over the pokies to the left. I probably should have put an arrow there

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Yeah I'm doing that, climbing the left wall as high as I can, and diving to the right wall, but it still doesn't get me high enough

Edit: oh duh, I forgot to climb on the board

Caithness fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 5, 2020

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tofu Injection posted:

In general it seems like a challenge to make hard levels in 3d world; Very few things exist in the toolset that hurt the player.

Bro your clear check time on this level is over 2 hours that's longer than like playing through half of SMB3.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Tofu Injection posted:

The last part of each section is cheesable because of how powerups work, but I'm not sure how I could have avoided it.
In general you could perform a "powerup check" before allowing the player to progress to the next section. In the case of the cat suit you could place bricks in front of the pipe entry (with solid ground above them so you can't ground pound them) and make the player cat swipe to clear the path to the next section.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

In Training posted:

Bro your clear check time on this level is over 2 hours that's longer than like playing through half of SMB3.

I mean I didn't say it was impossible to make hard levels. It is harder to do in 3d world though since the only thing that hurts the player, that the player can't hurt back is that red spike block. I got a bit sick of looking at those things by the end.

American McGay posted:

In general you could perform a "powerup check" before allowing the player to progress to the next section. In the case of the cat suit you could place bricks in front of the pipe entry (with solid ground above them so you can't ground pound them) and make the player cat swipe to clear the path to the next section.

This is great advice, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
3DW is hype and it's probably my favorite theme out of all of them just because of how loving good the movement feels but you definitely have to design stuff around the movement techniques and not just try to make a regular Mario level with it. The fact that it lacks single block spikes or munchers pretty much rules out any traditional "kaizo" style levels.