Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

abelwingnut posted:

gotta be the city of the ancients, right?

This is my guess. I also think Junon at the release of the weapons would rule but I'm a bit rusty on the timeline for that tbh

I just love that big rear end cannon and can't loving wait to see it fire in glorious 4k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It wouldn't be a bad idea to go play the original game. I'd be really interested to hear the opinions of someone playing them in reverse order.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I’m doing the multiple dresses, do all side quests and Johnny trophies - do I have to finish chapter 9 for these to count?

Yeah, anything that has to do with actual choices and quests you have to complete the chapter for it to count.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Steely Glint posted:

Just reached the credits. Going in I knew nothing about the original FF7 beyond Cloud being a gruff sword boi, Sephiroth being a big ol' final fantasy bad guy, and the ur-spoiler of Aerith dying (presumably to stop the meteor from the visions?), so now that I've reached the end I can say... it was really fun! The main characters had a great dynamic with some potential for solid character development drama, the combat was engaging and challenging and refreshingly grind-free, and the villains were eminently hateable (loving Reno, god drat). But it was also a lot weirder than I expected it to be? Like, in a good way. The whole Wall Market segment came out of left field and was absolutely spectacular: the hella fun HELL HOUSE fight, Andrea's fabulous dance sequence, the squat friends, ugh that was all so good.

I know a bunch of callbacks to the original probably flew over my head, but the only things I felt I didn't get were some of the brief shots towards the end, like the camera freezing on a picture of a dog for a few seconds? Why?? and I'm not 100% sure on the timeline of Zack dragging Cloud to Midgar and why Sephiroth is chasing them, but that probably was a late game reveal originally too so whatevs.

Anyway, I'm excited to see what the next game has in store! Just gotta wait... a few years or so :(

The dog in the ending is (WARNING: GENERAL SPOILERS FOR OG FF7 & THE ENDING OF FF7R) Stamp, Shinra's little dog mascot. You're meant to notice that he's a noticeably different breed and design, which, depending on who you ask, either indicates that something fundamental changed in the world, the way twin pine mall changes to lone pine mall in back to the future, or that it's an alternate dimension because... I dunno, I can't comprehend how that line of thought goes. No word of god exists about it though, so if anyone tries to tell you that it's DEFINITELY this or that and they aren't the main scenario writer, they're up their own rear end. Zack died a horrible death just a short while before the plot starts in the original timeline of FF7, and him surviving would be a gigantic shakeup, since Cloud's past is not as clear cut as he might think. You basically get pointed at Sephiroth right at the end of the Midgar section in the original; I think the first time he comes up is when he kills the president (who is just found stuck to his desk, you don't see him die there) and basically chase him around for the rest of disk one trying to find him and find out what the hell he's up to.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

abelwingnut posted:

Can't wait for the remixes of Lifestream and You Can Hear The Cries Of The Planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9v7hx93IQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBRAkpXTmCs

Best songs in the game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So is it ever explained why(Chapter 12 spoilers) there's a convenient escape zipline on the pillar? Was it set up by Shinra so their soldiers/the Turks could escape?

EDIT: Also why in the world is there a built in system for releasing the plate?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

RatHat posted:

So is it ever explained why(Chapter 12 spoilers) there's a convenient escape zipline on the pillar? Was it set up by Shinra so their soldiers/the Turks could escape?

No

Good question :thunk:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

abelwingnut posted:

That's my guess. I was just noting that's far enough away that it'd be hard to have stretched this game far enough to reach it.

City of the Ancients is my guess for where part 2 will end, definitely.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I still wonder how they'll do the open world. If they do it like FFXV the world is gonna be loving massive. But zooming out and walking on the overworld doesn't really seem right either.

EDIT: Also Yuffie and Vincent definitely won't be optional.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 22, 2020

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

RatHat posted:

Because there needed to be.

No there is no further explanation than that

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Harrow posted:

That's my guess. I was just noting that's far enough away that it'd be hard to have stretched this game far enough to reach it.

City of the Ancients is my guess for where part 2 will end, definitely.

Given how well they managed to recreate everything in the remake from the original, the City of the Ancients is going to be loving spectacular.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dreylad posted:

Given how well they managed to recreate everything in the remake from the original, the City of the Ancients is going to be loving spectacular.

Forget that, what I'm most looking forward to is the Gold Saucer.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer
I would like to see at least one place over the whole series have a fixed camera angle. Like, maybe Cloud's first Nibelheim flashback could, just to make it seem weirder when you get to the town in modern day and the camera is normal.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RatHat posted:

In the original it was more like a guywire than a zipline, idk

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the plate separation thing is designed as an emergency system to prevent the adjacent plates from getting damaged in case of a sector having some major structural failure, but I might just be confusing fanfiction I read 20+ years ago for actual explanations

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
People think FF7 was a much smarter game than it actually was because the pervasiveness of thought around it has seeped into our collective consciousness about the game. A lot of which has made it into this game, for better or worse

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the plates can be separated because Shinra are assholes, no further questions will be taken

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
one of the many things they got right in this game is they didn't try to make the shinra execs tragic or anything, they're just all giant assholes except for reeves. that scene with scarlet is fantastic.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

Meanwhile, when's the next place that would make a good conclusion for a standalone game? Leaving Midgar is a big, climactic moment in the original game and makes a natural spot to place the conclusion of a standalone game. The next moment like that is... quite a ways away.

My speculative stopping point for Part 2 is after Temple of the Ancients. We finish off with the Demon Wall, Cait Sith dies and comes back, Sephiroth is actually there again, and Aerith leaves the party permanently.

The next game starts off with Cloud dreaming about Aerith running off through the sleeping forest into the City of the Ancients and wakes up in Gongaga, picking up more Zack storyline while they're at it. Other than the big thing, nothing of interest happens in the City of the Ancients, so I imagine that will actually have new plot.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

who's to say hojo didn't blast jenova cells across the multiverse and they're doing that reunion poo poo all the same

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wish background dialogue wouldn't overlap so often. There was an area with a crowd of people where like 6 conversations started at once when I entered.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Whoever voiced Chocobo Sam is doing a really drat good Sam Elliott impression lol.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I immediately called him Chocobo Sam Elliott

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Whoever voiced Chocobo Sam is doing a really drat good Sam Elliott impression lol.

Sam Elliot would speak into the mic though

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Part 2 will end at The Ancient City, definitely. Makes too much sense for it not to.

I'm giving Square Enix too much credit, aren't i :(

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

kind of unforch that we're living in the human mass extinction event so no conciousnesses we can understand will be around to add this to the list of great uncompleted works of art like the book of disquiet, mr, arkadin, von stroheim's greed, etc etc. but otherwise this videogame is perfect and beautiful in every way, and the only other j/rpgs that can compare are earthbound and disco elysium.and maybe the hallucinatory dream version of planescape torment where its a visual novel with no combat. farewell gamers :patriot:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wonder how long we'll be waiting for the sequel though for real.

Also Ending Spoilers In the ending to crisis core Zack gets jumped by like, 3 dudes after the big battle scene they showed in the remake. Are we sure that Zack lived in a alternate timeline seeing as he doesn't die in that fight in the original either? Or am I just unaware like usual.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wonder how long we'll be waiting for the sequel though for real.

Two years probably.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

mysterious loyall X posted:

kind of unforch that we're living in the human mass extinction event so no conciousnesses we can understand will be around to add this to the list of great uncompleted works of art like the book of disquiet, mr, arkadin, von stroheim's greed, etc etc. but otherwise this videogame is perfect and beautiful in every way, and the only other j/rpgs that can compare are earthbound and disco elysium.and maybe the hallucinatory dream version of planescape torment where its a visual novel with no combat. farewell gamers :patriot:

I have to stop watching a friend die to hell house to say that Greed was finished, it just got chopped into pieces by people who didn't work on it up to that point, and then most of the pieces were thrown away

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dell_Zincht posted:

Part 2 will end at The Ancient City, definitely. Makes too much sense for it not to.

I'm giving Square Enix too much credit, aren't i :(

I'd probably end part 2 at the northern crater. Would be a hella downer way to end the game though since Aerith is dead, the party tries to stop Sephiroth but fails. Cloud is gone and everyone else is captured by Shinra. Also the meteor is coming. idk if that would be too long of a game for part 2 but I think it would definitely be a better end point than the ancient city.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'd probably end part 2 at the northern crater. Would be a hella downer way to end the game though since Aerith is dead, the party tries to stop Sephiroth but fails. Cloud is gone and everyone else is captured by Shinra. Also the meteor is coming. idk if that would be too long of a game for part 2 but I think it would definitely be a better end point than the ancient city.

That would be way too long.

Midgar was, what, 1/4 of disc 1? Ending part 2 at the Crater would cover the remaining 3/4 of disc 1 and like 1/3 of disc 2 in a single game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BisbyWorl posted:

Midgar was, what, 1/4 of disc 1? Ending part 2 at the Crater would cover the remaining 3/4 of disc 1 and like 1/3 of disc 2 in a single game.

The discs don't contain equivalent story content and are a terrible measure. Disc 1 is the bulk and Midgar is half. 2 is maybe half that and 3 is one dungeon. 2 is light as poo poo when you remove all the random encounters and map bullshit that isn't necessary.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BisbyWorl posted:

Midgar was around 6-8 hours in the original, and they were only able to stretch it to 35 hours because it's such a richly detailed location and lends itself to a lot of expansion.

None of the other locations or plots will be expanded to the same extent. I'm pretty confident that unless Square puts their greed goggles on (or makes a typical nonsense Square move) this will be a trilogy. The third game will cover discs 2 and 3.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The next game will be able to handle Kalm, Junon, Gold Saucer, temple of the ancients and forgotten city no worries. It could very easily stretch to the attack on Junon and end there.

This is assuming the story doesn't radically change given how this ends.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

JBP posted:

The next game will be able to handle Kalm, Junon, Gold Saucer, temple of the ancients and forgotten city no worries. It could very easily stretch to the attack on Junon and end there.

This is assuming the story doesn't radically change given how this ends.

You'd have to add Nibelheim and possibly Wutai at least (not sure how they're going to handle world exploration with the Tiny Bronco). I'm expecting Yuffie's recruitment to be mandatory so Wutai might be a forced visit now.

Not sure how they're going to handle Vincent (I hope him and Cid get a slight rewrite) but I think he'll be mandatory too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Square will attempt to compress the world outside of Midgar in the next couple remake games so that Junon is just a hop skip and a jump away from Wutai, etc. Or keep certain events in the story at the same location, which I can already see people getting mad about online.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They better have the Fort Condor minigame

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

exquisite tea posted:

I think Square will attempt to compress the world outside of Midgar in the next couple remake games so that Junon is just a hop skip and a jump away from Wutai, etc. Or keep certain events in the story at the same location, which I can already see people getting mad about online.

I think all the locations will be there. The question is how they'll handle travel between them.

I'd be happy with a compressed open world. People used to accept overworlds as a scaled down representation of the map but for some reason they don't anymore. Even though there aren't really any open world games that are actually to scale.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They're setting up to need a huge flashback type thing where they outline cloud's backstory and how it fits into the remake but who knows where they're putting the main turning points of the story this time around and whether they're remotely similar - will there even be a boat from Junon to Costa del Sol or will Cid just be in Junon with the Highwind, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

stev posted:

I think all the locations will be there. The question is how they'll handle travel between them.

I'd be happy with a compressed open world. People used to accept overworlds as a scaled down representation of the map but for some reason they don't anymore. Even though there aren't really any open world games that are actually to scale.

I once read somewhere that if you translated the original two continents in World of Warcraft into real-world scale, it would be about the same size as Manhattan. Even the largest open worlds are super compressed because actual reality is filled with NOTHING for miles and miles.