Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Speaking of horror podcasts, if you're looking for something to listen to while working at home try Knifepoint Horror: https://knifepointhorror.libsyn.com/

I consider it the Channel Zero of horror podcasts. It's not near as well know as the biggies like Tanis, Black Tapes or Nightvale but I'd say it's better than them all.

It's just good old fashioned horror stories told by a drat good narrator but every story is deeply haunting and disturbing in a very original way I can't describe. It might be the hands down scariest podcast currently anyway.

Are we doing scripted horror podcast recs? Because SAYER and Achive81 are both absolutely top tier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
What are the best horror movie review podcasts? I'm listening to straight chilling and it's fine but I want more!

ProperWhopper
Apr 16, 2020

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

What are the best horror movie review podcasts? I'm listening to straight chilling and it's fine but I want more!

Night of the Living Podcast has been running since 06 and is still the best for my money.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
It's not modern reviews, but The Evolution of Horror is my favorite horror podcasts and I've found more recommendations from that than anything else.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/shrecknet/status/1252339816387264512?s=19

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Why's that video 360p lol.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lurdiak posted:

They had one HD machine and it was already in use making Sleepaway Camp.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

May be what the uploader used when putting it on YouTube. I believe it's 1080, or at least 720, on the blu ray. I didn't upload it, I found it after watching it on the Shout Factory blu.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

STAC Goat posted:

O'Barr's not in it. The first half of the episode talks up Brandon Lee as a future star, talks about the urban legends around Bruce Lee's death and Bruce's father believing the family men were cursed, and all the work put into Michael Berryman's aborted Skull Cowboy role. Then they describe Lee's death, explain how the accident happened, and the decision to finish it and compromises they made. The two main talking heads were Jeff Most the producer and Lance Anderson the Special Effects/Make Up artist and both were clearly still shaken up and felt a ton of guilt over it. They also mentioned how Michael Matthew, the actor who pulled the trigger, was destroyed by it and felt responsible. It just really seemed like everyone involved was torn apart by guilt over it and they only finished the movie because Lee's fiance and mother gave them their blessing and they wanted to honor Lee's performance and how it inspired future stuff like The Matrix and Heath Ledger's Joker.

So yeah, the opposite of Landis.

You mean the late Michael Massee, who played Funboy. Autocorrect at work?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Stryder posted:

I don't have Shudder, but if someone wants to elaborate on the Cursed Films episode about The Crow, I'm all eyes. Way back before it was in wide-release, James O'Barr was touring the country with his own print of the film for select audiences. I got to attend one of the first screenings in Boston and the dude was kind of an emotional wreck. O'Barr did his best to put on a brave face and talk about how the film owed everything to Brandon Lee's performance but it was pretty clear that he blamed himself for the accident. Sounds like the complete opposite of Landis.

That's hard to hear, especially because The Crow was written as a way of working through his grief over his fiancee's sudden death.

He just can't seem to catch a break. His band was signed to Nothing Records in the 90s which you'd think would be a huge break but they got dropped without ever releasing an album.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jedit posted:

You mean the late Michael Massee, who played Funboy. Autocorrect at work?

Yeah lets go with autocorrect over stupidity.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Arivia posted:

I get the quote, I appreciate the sentiment, but people are getting loving weird out there.

Considering everyone I know's been dreaming really weird lately, I think weirder's yet to come.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

M_Sinistrari posted:

Considering everyone I know's been dreaming really weird lately, I think weirder's yet to come.

Oh yeah, that’s everywhere right now. It’s all super odd.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just woke up too disorientated to go back to sleep from a real weird rear end dream so this article checks out.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

My last dream was I was stepping out for a cig at work and while I'm out back, I'm joined by Oderus Urungus wearing a cook's apron from one of the nearby restaurants and Pamela Voorhees as a cook from another restaurant and we discuss food ideas for her to try because Jason's having a picky phase I'm not sure where that would fit with that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Well, this movie called MosquitoMan sure does have a man-sized mosquito walking around. It does deliver on that score.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Well, this movie called MosquitoMan sure does have a man-sized mosquito walking around. It does deliver on that score.

Mansquito is the superior film, I assure you.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

Mansquito is the superior film, I assure you.

i'm pretty sure y'all are talking about the same movie.

e: yep, Mansquito and Mosquito Man are alternate titles for the same movie

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've actually been meaning to check that out, it's done by the guy who did The Gate and sounds like it has some pretty fun gore

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Mansquito is also the superior title.

Also it has a surprisingly good monster suit

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I've actually been meaning to check that out, it's done by the guy who did The Gate and sounds like it has some pretty fun gore

I liked it. It hit all the appropriate cheesy B-Horror beats to me.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

The mansquito himself (Matt Jordon) threatened to sue me for making fun of him. I wrote (badly) for some movie site in 2009 and made jokes at his expense. After a bunch of back and forth emails he realized I was 18, using a fake name, and had nothing worth suing for. Mansquito got punked by a teen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

M_Sinistrari posted:

I liked it. It hit all the appropriate cheesy B-Horror beats to me.

Yea I definitely had fun with it. The beers probably helped.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Fantasy Island sure was bad, like drat.

I'm surprised it was billed as a "horror remake" though. The script has this vibe of uh, goofy TV pilot movie? They should have just gone full comedy with it honestly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Neo Rasa posted:

Fantasy Island sure was bad, like drat.

I'm surprised it was billed as a "horror remake" though. The script has this vibe of uh, goofy TV pilot movie? They should have just gone full comedy with it honestly.

On the DVD/BR there’s an Unrated Version, and I wonder how far that would go to make it a little better.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This thread broke

Edit nm it’s working now lol

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

This thread broke

Edit nm it’s working now lol

Yeah it was weird. Usually logging in and out fixes stuff like that but not this time

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That felt like me, sorry all.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

On the DVD/BR there’s an Unrated Version, and I wonder how far that would go to make it a little better.

I'm curious on that one since seeing it in the theater just felt Blummy more than anything.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

BisonDollah posted:

The Exorcism episode leaping to show a "genuine exorcist" for half of the runtime (and the really awkward treatment of random people) was a mistake because they didn’t really come for him as hard as they should have. Poltergeist episode really was good at that though, I loved the Zelda interview.

I believe the original intention was to show the Poltergeist episode as the premier, which ended with the guy saying "[Dominique Dunne] was stabbed to death, which has gently caress-all to do with a skeleton" which was the thesis statement of the show going forward and might have put the exorcism scenes in a different light before the reveal that he's fully full of poo poo. But they wanted to coincide the premier with the streaming of The Exorcist so the episode order got shuffled around.

Anyways I'm glad they took a more mature approach to "cursed films" over cheap mysticism empty calories.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Human Tornada posted:

I believe the original intention was to show the Poltergeist episode as the premier, which ended with the guy saying "[Dominique Dunne] was stabbed to death, which has gently caress-all to do with a skeleton" which was the thesis statement of the show going forward and might have put the exorcism scenes in a different light before the reveal that he's fully full of poo poo. But they wanted to coincide the premier with the streaming of The Exorcist so the episode order got shuffled around.

Anyways I'm glad they took a more mature approach to "cursed films" over cheap mysticism empty calories.

That'll explain why The Exorcist and Poltergeist episodes are labelled wrong on my Shudder channel, then. A very good series, I'm going to check out Horror Noir next and hope the quality keeps up.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Since I've been working from home for the past month, I felt like my home office was looking a little poser-y. I can't have that. So I ordered some posters to hang in here.

hell fuckin yeah

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Nah I saw the unrated edition and you can tell it was definitely shot overall assuming it would end up having to be PG-13 from the get go. The only things that wouldn't pass is some brief nudity and, double checking, one part where someone is killed is a little more on camera than in the PG-13 version.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Since I've been working from home for the past month, I felt like my home office was looking a little poser-y. I can't have that. So I ordered some posters to hang in here.

hell fuckin yeah

:hfive: :hfive: :hfive:

Speaking of this we've been doing an online movie night with some of our friends every week. Only one of them besides my wife and I is into Italian horror so we've been slowly getting more of them into it this way, it rules. :D

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

hell fuckin yeah

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Japanese TV version of Dawn of the Dead replaces much of the soundtrack with various synth tracks, different from the US and European versions. There's even some more Suspiria in there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of3JjI3Myxs

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The phrase ‘Poltergeist episode’ reminded me out of nowhere, that a Poltergeist tv series existed and lasted for 4 seasons.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neo Rasa posted:

The Japanese TV version of Dawn of the Dead replaces much of the soundtrack with various synth tracks, different from the US and European versions. There's even some more Suspiria in there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of3JjI3Myxs

I love the voices they went with.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love the voices they went with.

The voice actor's Crazy Roger Voice is amazing, and I like the music in the gun store scene. It has the same general feel of the original track but it's a lot more downtempo and minimalist.

I was skimming through trying to find what they used for the shopping medley but it looks like that whole sequence was cut out of the movie. It looks like maybe the Japanese television cut is based on the Italian cut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

One really fun thing about this lockdown is that it's given me time to learn how to make gifs

(Source: The Fourth Man)