Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The FF7 overworld always bugged me in a way the others never really did. A whole continent that's just Midgar, a small town a couple miles away, and then a chocobo ranch in the middle of a humongous swamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ApplesandOranges posted:

You'd have to add Nibelheim and possibly Wutai at least (not sure how they're going to handle world exploration with the Tiny Bronco). I'm expecting Yuffie's recruitment to be mandatory so Wutai might be a forced visit now.

Not sure how they're going to handle Vincent (I hope him and Cid get a slight rewrite) but I think he'll be mandatory too.

Yeah I didn't bother mentioning Nibelheim because it's a short sojourn. Wutai I can see being a bigger deal potentially, but I also think all the Wutai war poo poo is just propaganda and it'll be no more than a lovely village. After Midgar a lot of those bits are basically vignettes and could be handled in two hours even if you blew them out like Midgar in FF7R. There's no need though because none of the future locations are super interesting outside of a few key ones.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Nibelheim and Mt. Nibel are almost definitely getting expanded. I think Cosmo Canyon would also be bigger, too.

You want enough content for the characters to stand on their own without the development post-WEAPONs, so I'm expecting more segments with Red/Cid/Yuffie/Vincent. Barret will also get a good chunk in Corel and the Desert Prison.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

You'd have to add Nibelheim and possibly Wutai at least (not sure how they're going to handle world exploration with the Tiny Bronco). I'm expecting Yuffie's recruitment to be mandatory so Wutai might be a forced visit now.

Not sure how they're going to handle Vincent (I hope him and Cid get a slight rewrite) but I think he'll be mandatory too.

I don't think there's any way Yuffie and Vincent won't be mandatory parts of the story. Apart from the fact that making a character in a game like this is an incredible amount of animation, v/o, etc to let be optional, Yuffie's integral to the Wutai storyline they're setting up and Vincent is more popular than Barret/Cid/Cait/Red/Yuffie in fan polls.

I also wouldn't expect them to cut Cosmo Canyon, given Bugenhagen's role, its place in Avalanche's lore, and the fact that it's basically Red XIII's entire arc.

"Three games, the second going to the end of disc 1 and the third being the rest of the story" sounds right to me. I'd expect their releases to be roughly two years apart, and wouldn't be surprised if the other two aren't actually longer games than part 1.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nibelheim and Mt. Nibel are almost definitely getting expanded. I think Cosmo Canyon would also be bigger, too.

You want enough content for the characters to stand on their own without the development post-WEAPONs, so I'm expecting more segments with Red/Cid/Yuffie/Vincent. Barret will also get a good chunk in Corel and the Desert Prison.

Oh man, I forgot about that loving desert. I wonder how they'll handle that (probably a linear path).

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

MonsieurChoc posted:

Can't wait for the remixes of Lifestream and You Can Hear The Cries Of The Planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9v7hx93IQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBRAkpXTmCs

Best songs in the game.

Well, the first one kind of is? https://youtu.be/CfDO6SxfjDc
I can’t remember if that plays at the beginning too. But yeah, it’s not really, it’s just like 16 seconds of that melody at the start.

Btw, maybe better for the spoilers thread, but at that part in chapter 9, when Cloud and Aerith head around the shortcut and go through the collapsed expressway, he has a mako/Sephiroth/headache moment, and that plays, and it’s called premonition. But it made me wonder if people were referring to the scene where you briefly see the Holy materia drop, when they said that the ‘basically show Aeris dying’, or if they were overreacting or if I missed something?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I think part 2 will end at the City of the Ancients where speculative spoilers/personal hopes Cloud will save Aerith and die himself in the process in a heroic self-sacrifice. The final battle with be against Sephiroth-Jenova with an impaled Cloud in the middle of the arena. The game will end with a reversal of the pool scene where whomever has the highest affection will drop Cloud into the pool. Part 3 will go completely batshit off the rails

Alternatively, part 2 will be to Wutai, and we'll see a new war kick off between Wutai and Midgar during it, and part 3 will end at the city of Ancients or Northern Crater.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 22, 2020

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My tenuous expectations: I bet that the Chocobo ranch becomes part of Kalm and that rather than a proper world map it will just be a stage similar to the motorcycle game that will foreshadow a later Chocobo racing minigame. I'm envisioning a large open field that is effectively a stage into itself rather than an overhead view of the world map or anything like that. Travel around the world will primarily be mostly by Chocobo waypoints as they were in this game.

No idea whether Fort Condor will show up or not, nor in what form. It could be reduced to a minigame or expanded into its own thing, or it might just not be there at all. Fort Condor and Junon are very different environments but they're also roughly sequential in the original game if I remember right, unless you skip Fort Condor entirely, which I think is also a choice.

Junon will be a lot bigger and a much more major setpiece almost certainly. The town has a lot of personality and has the same kind of upper/lower ward dichotomy similar to Midgar in the miniature (1/35, in fact) that could be explored to a similar degree to Wall Market.

I can't see Costa del Sol being anything at all. The only thing I remember about it is the chill music and the fact that Hojo is taking a self-care vacation on the beach and could not give a poo poo about you right now and there's no way that's going to mesh with FF7R

Cosmo Canyon will be, I think, relatively small and tight-knit but dense. I am really curious to see how they're going to represent it because it was always one of my favorite areas. If they don't let you instagib the boss in the cavern by throwing an Elixir at it, by god

I would be surprised if they have a proper Gongaga, and that it's going to get merged into other elements, and they seem to be moving in the direction of building up Wutai as a more major plot point in this one so that will of course be much bigger.

What I'm afraid of is it's going to feel like these places are all basically geographically next to each other. The original game's world map had a lot of stuff that was off to the side and that you had to explore and go out of your way to find. It is super easy to just roll right past places like Gongaga - I never found it on my first playthrough as I passed that area and went straight to Cosmo Canyon.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Wutai will be mandatory and Yuffie will probably join you there as opposed to you recruiting her.

The Tiny Bronco will crash land on Da Chao or something

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 22, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I dunno, I don't think Yuffie's character makes much sense if she only joins you in Wutai. I'd expect her to join pretty early on.

Unless she steals all your materia in the beginning and you spend the entire game tracking her down to Wutai which would be hilarious because that means she's replacing Sephiroth.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If Zack ends up playing a decent role in Part II, then I can see Gongaga having a slightly bigger role.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Clarste posted:

I dunno, I don't think Yuffie's character makes much sense if she only joins you in Wutai. I'd expect her to join pretty early on.

Unless she steals all your materia in the beginning and you spend the entire game tracking her down to Wutai which would be hilarious because that means she's replacing Sephiroth.

This game already had a villain identity crisis as Shinra's reputation in the game fades from threatening omnipotent force to gross incompetence and physical comedy while Sephiroth's arc ascends

So why not put Yuffie in an antagonist role for a while before she joins?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Regarding Yuffie, they'll probably play up her association with Zack, The Turks and the original iteration of Avalanche. No need to recruit her, she could just ambush the party as soon as they enter Wutai.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I fully expect her to be with you on the boat from Junon.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 22, 2020

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So I am confused about the requirements for getting the second Elemental Materia. From what I'd read, you have to do the three Angel of the Slums quests across various chapters, then it should be by the bulldozer before you climb the wall at the end of chapter 14. Nada, I've done all three quests (and finished every sidequest on the prior playthrough), but nothing there.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DeathChicken posted:

So I am confused about the requirements for getting the second Elemental Materia. From what I'd read, you have to do the three Angel of the Slums quests across various chapters, then it should be by the bulldozer before you climb the wall at the end of chapter 14. Nada, I've done all three quests (and finished every sidequest on the prior playthrough), but nothing there.

Run back along the route between there and Wall Market? If you've done every sidequest it should be sat in the middle of the path. It's a thank you note with the materia attached.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Did I miss something with the Trypapolis enemies in Chapter 14? I beat the clones that popped out as instructed by Assess and it made no difference whatsoever, and their stagger gauges depleted in literally a second no matter what. And yes, I was targeting the correct one after beating the clone. I beat them, so whatever, but I'm not sure what the clones were about when I was mostly doing single or low double digit damage with physical weapons no matter what.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I feel like I should have poisoned them

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Did I miss something with the Trypapolis enemies in Chapter 14? I beat the clones that popped out as instructed by Assess and it made no difference whatsoever, and their stagger gauges depleted in literally a second no matter what. And yes, I was targeting the correct one after beating the clone. I beat them, so whatever, but I'm not sure what the clones were about when I was mostly doing single or low double digit damage with physical weapons no matter what.

Killing the clone does something like a 1/3 lifebars worth of damage to the original, which is way faster than just whittling it down

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Killing the clones deals damage to the main body, it's basically the only way to hurt them. They don't become vulnerable or anything, they just instantly take a flat amount of a damage the moment the clone dies. You have to intentionally spawn more clones to kill them quickly.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

stev posted:

Run back along the route between there and Wall Market? If you've done every sidequest it should be sat in the middle of the path. It's a thank you note with the materia attached.

I got it. Apparently it just required finishing all sidequests in chapter 14 before it would show up.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Harrow posted:

That's my guess. I was just noting that's far enough away that it'd be hard to have stretched this game far enough to reach it.

City of the Ancients is my guess for where part 2 will end, definitely.

And it’s going to loving SUCK. I’m actually not looking forward to that because... :(

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Look they did a really good job making Aerith cool as poo poo in this game. That’s all I’m saying.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

For anyone having trouble with Chapter 12 boss in hard mode put parry on Tifa and just R1+ dodge around the arena. Reno and Rude arent fast enough to keep up with her. I mainly used it to recover from dire situations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Wutai is going to have to be a lot more than a single medium sized village. I realize they lost horribly in the war and were devastated but there should still be more than one settlement there. I'm not sure what they're going to do but it will be disappointing if they don't make it feel like a small country. Obviously the playable portion will probably only be the town we're familiar with but they need to do the same thing they did with Midgar where they make sure you know about all the other people and places in the country and there should be a place on the mountain where you can look out across the country and see a bunch of other towns and landmarks.

And I'm really looking forward to climbing that pagoda.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kinda curious, how would people feel about the party not being customizable like it was in this game? Like it picks and chooses for you who you have at what times for a more controlled narrative?

Also I have no idea what any of these locations people are talking about so I'm just assuming they're all towns- but are there any dungeons or areas people are looking forward to? I expect The Cave Level and a desert apparently but as someone who's pretty blind (least right now) not sure what cool locations I'll have to look forward to :v:

It's also just dawning on me that there probably won't be many locations like Midgar outside of well, Midgar. Longer I sit on it more 'neat' it feels to have a entire game take place in a mechanical city with almost no nature to it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it just barely worked in this game (things deteriorated fast in the last few chapters when the gang was all together, to say nothing of what they did with Red) but my guess is that as the cast continues to expand we'll get a proper party-swap option

sure do hope they make weapon upgrading less tedious

as for dungeons, i'm wondering how they'll play off the Cave of Gi, not just visually but also how it'll affect Red, because the remake can't do my catdogson any more of a disservice than the original one did. also the Nibelheim Manor as a more obvious choice

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 22, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Kinda curious, how would people feel about the party not being customizable like it was in this game? Like it picks and chooses for you who you have at what times for a more controlled narrative?

Also I have no idea what any of these locations people are talking about so I'm just assuming they're all towns- but are there any dungeons or areas people are looking forward to? I expect The Cave Level and a desert apparently but as someone who's pretty blind (least right now) not sure what cool locations I'll have to look forward to :v:

It's also just dawning on me that there probably won't be many locations like Midgar outside of well, Midgar. Longer I sit on it more 'neat' it feels to have a entire game take place in a mechanical city with almost no nature to it.

I don't mind the mandatory character makeup since it was like that in the original midgar and I felt like I got sufficient time with all the characters. I'm glad the vr thing lets you play around with party composition a little from a gameplay perspective. Hopefully the next games will have a little leeway (maybe the whole team is present, but you pick three to fight or whatever) but honestly if they want to stick with mandatory parties to maintain the high quality narrative that's fine by me.

There are some awesome locations coming up in addition to the usual cave.

The nature picks up but there's plenty of Shinra tech in big towns and other stuff in store!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Maximillian Dood has suggested they do FFX style "The party is all there but you can swap in the reserves at will" which, I think would be loving crazy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Onmi posted:

Maximillian Dood has suggested they do FFX style "The party is all there but you can swap in the reserves at will" which, I think would be loving crazy.

This would be so good.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I don't care if they mandate party composition as long as they keep it so people outside the party still gain xp and ap and I can move materia from people outside the party. I have a tendency to run with my favorite characters and as such I don't see or discover cool stuff from the other characters until subsequent playthroughs and I'd be OK being forced to experiment with I normally wouldn't use.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Clarste posted:

Killing the clones deals damage to the main body, it's basically the only way to hurt them. They don't become vulnerable or anything, they just instantly take a flat amount of a damage the moment the clone dies. You have to intentionally spawn more clones to kill them quickly.

Lol wow I did not understand that mechanic at all. I saw "spawns a clone if you interrupt its dance" and said 'well I'd better not do that I guess'. Good to know for the replay.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I would prefer fewer forced-party switches because it made it kind of tedious to specialize a character. In the later chapters it felt like I was spending a lot of time in the materia menu making sure I had all my necessary actions available. You can't even just give all the important stuff to cloud because then you have to switch away from him now and then.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If they keep the exact same battle system, it will almost certainly just be that you swap out your combatants in the menu outside of a battle. Any places with a story will just have everyone loiter around or subtly fade out of existence when a battle starts.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SettingSun posted:

If they keep the exact same battle system, it will almost certainly just be that you swap out your combatants in the menu outside of a battle. Any places with a story will just have everyone loiter around or subtly fade out of existence when a battle starts.

I want them to stand on the sidelines cheering. I don't care how dumb it is

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wonder how long we'll be waiting for the sequel though for real.

Also Ending Spoilers In the ending to crisis core Zack gets jumped by like, 3 dudes after the big battle scene they showed in the remake. Are we sure that Zack lived in a alternate timeline seeing as he doesn't die in that fight in the original either? Or am I just unaware like usual.

You can flat out just watch the ending of Crisis Core online, but the main thing is that Zack is already done and dying on the ground by the time it starts raining. In this one he has Cloud up and is walking away while it's raining. The point at which he'd be killed is past. Also at the point he's dying he remembers Aerith saying she was afraid of the open sky, and in this one we end with her looking up and saying she misses the steel sky. He's very much lived past his expected death, wherever he is.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Onmi posted:

This but include Marvel vs Capcom style switch attacks

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think they could get around having swappable party members in Part 1 because your party composition is so limited in Midgar anyway but that's going to get annoying real quick if you have all 7 peeps and still can't switch.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

How much longer do I have if I've just reached chapter 14?

I have been enjoying the ride but the constant character switching is getting to me -- I did not expect to have to fight a boss with just Barrett and Tifa, so I kinda mashed my way through the Failed Experiment fight with only Barrett able to heal or target its weakness. Still a good fight, and I think I liked the extra difficulty I added for myself. It's reminding me, though, that my favorite part of these RPGs is when you've finally made it through the linear "tutorials" and are given free reign to pick your own party and explore, and of course this game wraps up before we reach that point in the original FF7.

How are you guys equipping Barrett and Tifa? I thought Tifa was attack-focused and Barrett would be another ranged mage like Aeris, but I've got a Magic Up materia on Barrett and I just realized his Magic score is STILL lower than Tifa's is, even though I've generally picked +MATK nodes on his guns and +ATK and +Spd on Tifa's gloves. For some reason I thought Tifa had a terrible Magic score, so I've only been giving her materia that doesn't depend on a number, like Revival and Barrier and Poison. Should I respec and make Barrett the damage-dealing support caster and Tifa into a punchy wizard?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
barret is a decent buffer, i gave him a Time materia and the ever-handy Barrier+Magnify combo. his mp pool and magic attack are both low but buffs don't particularly care about that. i also gave him Revive because i want my rezzer to be the guy least likely to die himself

tifa i built mainly to support herself, with Haste and Barrier materia to keep her from getting squashed in melee combat as she kept filling up her ATB bar over and over again. she became my standby healer because i gave her Pray and she gains ATB at like 5x the pace of everyone else once she's topped off her chi and has Haste applied

raw MATK doesn't really seem to matter much for anyone besides aeris, at least in normal mode, because you're primarily using spells to built stagger instead of raw damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
In that particular fight it doesn't really matter but the game will push you harder and harder to have all four characters combat-ready at all times as it goes on.

I don't think there's ever any point where you have both Barret and Aerith in your party, since Barret and Aerith both fill the same sort of support function for your team, so spec them to share a similar combat role; Aerith as a general mage character and Barret as more of a defensively-specced ranged attacker and healer.