Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Pluralsight is offering free access for the month of April.

https://twitter.com/pluralsight/status/1245708345496834049

fordan fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
CompTIA is also loosening their testing policies (or rather PearsonVue or whatever)

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

fordan posted:

Plurarsight is offering free access for the month of April.

https://twitter.com/pluralsight/status/1245708345496834049

Trying to jump in on this. Signed up, there’s just a major delay in the confirmation email.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

CompTIA is also loosening their testing policies (or rather PearsonVue or whatever)

Buddy had to take an PearsonVue exam last week and they let him take it at home.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Buddy had to take an PearsonVue exam last week and they let him take it at home.

Are they taking bookings? I've been ready to take it/them for a while.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Collateral posted:

Are they taking bookings? I've been ready to take it/them for a while.

Pearson has had at-home/remote-proctored testing for a while I think, but the certifying company needs to allow their test to be distributed that way. I just took a Juniper test that way, and I believe Cisco and AWS have turned it on at least temporarily, but I've had at least one other company that hasn't turned it on.

Basically go and try and schedule your exam and see if it's an option given or if it's just physical test sites.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah it's up to whoever is issuing the cert. This one was Oracle FWIW

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CompTia announced today that existing test vouchers are extended to June 30th and that they will be doing online tests starting on April 15th
https://www.comptia.org/testing/online-testing-interest-form

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Boss wants us all to have Sec+. Company reimbursed, so why not. Got lucky and Udemy had the Mike Myers course for all of $15 (would have been :tenbux: but I procrastinated enough to miss that price last week.)

Fake edit: just looked an it’s $11.00 for the next 6 hours.

On the second video, and Mike seems pretty entertaining. I think I have access to his books via my company’s learning portal, so that could help, as well.

Yeah, I know it’s baby’s first security, but I’m not planning a career in Infosec. Seems like a good idea to have at least basic knowledge of infosec, though, especially since that’s very much related to what my host company does (AV, anti-malware, and network security.)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Unless I just haven’t been able to find it I am doing the world a great service.

One of the most popular and suggested CISSP courses on YouTube (MF Prod) has a pretty extensive slide deck that people ask for constantly. I am in the process of transcribing them as I go along.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
I'm a dumb baby and this is my dumb baby post.

I've been in IT support for almost 5 1/2 years and I do want to specialize in something but I haven't seen enough of say, cloud stuff, to know if I want to specialize in it. Or storage, or etc.

I have a homelab in the works but its still baby stage, I got a full license for ESXI (vsphere and vcenter, vcenter isnt set up yet, need to do that), an oldish dell server, full license for VEEAM (which I'm going to work on getting installed once other poo poo is set up) and I do wanna start touching other stuff but I'm not 100% sure what just yet.

Did you guys just find out what you wanna do by being thrown in it? I do really want to learn some more poo poo but the MSP I work for isn't super advanced.

Got my A+ (I know its useless), SEC+ and I'm working on NET+ now. My job wants me to get CCNA after, I'd like to learn cisco stuff and networking in general to the point to get it but I also want to study for other stuff, just don't know what.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Pretty much for me -- I wanted out of my position and a networking position was available. Turned out I loved networking and the team, but of course it doesn't work out that way for everyone.

Like you said, I just didn't have the exposure to know what I liked before I got into networking; I was just lucky that the opportunity was such a good fit. Even within a discipline like networking, there are lots of opportunities to specialize -- maybe you'll like wireless, for example.

One thing I would say is that there isn't necessarily One True Path for you. Maybe you'll like lots of things. I certainly find lots of other stuff interesting. I'm glad to be in the area I am, though.

You'll never really regret having some networking knowledge -- the material covered by Net+ and CCNA are valuable to know no matter what you end up doing.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

guppy posted:

Pretty much for me -- I wanted out of my position and a networking position was available. Turned out I loved networking and the team, but of course it doesn't work out that way for everyone.

Like you said, I just didn't have the exposure to know what I liked before I got into networking; I was just lucky that the opportunity was such a good fit. Even within a discipline like networking, there are lots of opportunities to specialize -- maybe you'll like wireless, for example.

One thing I would say is that there isn't necessarily One True Path for you. Maybe you'll like lots of things. I certainly find lots of other stuff interesting. I'm glad to be in the area I am, though.

You'll never really regret having some networking knowledge -- the material covered by Net+ and CCNA are valuable to know no matter what you end up doing.

What sorta position? Did you have some grasp past normal helpdesk poo poo?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

guppy posted:

maybe you'll like wireless, for example.

Madness lies here.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Darchangel posted:

Boss wants us all to have Sec+. Company reimbursed, so why not. Got lucky and Udemy had the Mike Myers course for all of $15 (would have been :tenbux: but I procrastinated enough to miss that price last week.)

Fake edit: just looked an it’s $11.00 for the next 6 hours.

On the second video, and Mike seems pretty entertaining. I think I have access to his books via my company’s learning portal, so that could help, as well.

Yeah, I know it’s baby’s first security, but I’m not planning a career in Infosec. Seems like a good idea to have at least basic knowledge of infosec, though, especially since that’s very much related to what my host company does (AV, anti-malware, and network security.)
Any suggestions on actually taking the cert exam in the very near future?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Slumpy posted:

I'm a dumb baby and this is my dumb baby post.

I've been in IT support for almost 5 1/2 years and I do want to specialize in something but I haven't seen enough of say, cloud stuff, to know if I want to specialize in it. Or storage, or etc.

I have a homelab in the works but its still baby stage, I got a full license for ESXI (vsphere and vcenter, vcenter isnt set up yet, need to do that), an oldish dell server, full license for VEEAM (which I'm going to work on getting installed once other poo poo is set up) and I do wanna start touching other stuff but I'm not 100% sure what just yet.

Did you guys just find out what you wanna do by being thrown in it? I do really want to learn some more poo poo but the MSP I work for isn't super advanced.

Got my A+ (I know its useless), SEC+ and I'm working on NET+ now. My job wants me to get CCNA after, I'd like to learn cisco stuff and networking in general to the point to get it but I also want to study for other stuff, just don't know what.

Study, get certs, get thrown in the deep end, sink or swim and see what you actually like. Thats the approach I took and it worked out for me. Whatever you do just dont get complacent and let all of your skills atrophy.

CCNA is a great introduction to networking. If you want to get into some cloud stuff, ACloudGuru has a cheap $10 Udemy course, I bought that and used it to get my AWS Solutions Architect cert.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

ilkhan posted:

CompTIA is allowing testing from home.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cyks posted:

CompTIA is allowing testing from home.
I looked at pearson vue to schedule and it was all unavailable. How do you do the from home testing?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ilkhan posted:

I looked at pearson vue to schedule and it was all unavailable. How do you do the from home testing?

The home testing package in pearson vue usually has a different code from the standard test to do at a test site, you might have to search on the certification provider site for the exact one.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

The home testing package in pearson vue usually has a different code from the standard test to do at a test site, you might have to search on the certification provider site for the exact one.
Good info, thanks.

Looks like CompTIA doesn't offer remote until the 15th.
https://www.comptia.org/testing/online-testing-interest-form

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ilkhan posted:

According to Udemy, the CompTIA exams will be going online April 15.

e: f, b, several times.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I also posted it already like 10 posts up!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Slumpy posted:

What sorta position? Did you have some grasp past normal helpdesk poo poo?

The position doesn't exist in most organizations, it was pretty specialized. I moved internally, with several years of experience and building a solid rep with the organization. I also had a few certifications, but no CCNA. (Having one is still helpful, but at some point having your expertise be purely on paper isn't a good look -- I don't advise going further than that without experience. I got my CCNA after a couple years of networking experience.)

EDIT: Moving out of helpdesk can be hard for the same reason it's hard to get that first helpdesk job -- you may not know all that much yet and even if you do you won't have many opportunities to prove it. If you're looking for an internal promotion out of desktop support, my advice is that it's largely about reputation. You can be taught the knowledge, but it's much harder to be taught not to be a dumbass. Demonstrate to people with the power to help you that you have common sense, that you're reliable, that you don't waste other people's time, and that you're pleasant to work with. I can't tell you how many helpdesk people try to pass off things to me that they should be fixing, without making any effort to solve or even understand the problem. In contrast, we have a guy who may not have in-depth technical knowledge, but he makes an effort to understand how things work and help get things done, and I've recommended that guy as someone to watch. This advice obviously does not help you if you're looking to move to a new organization, since your rep probably won't spread outside your current employer.

MF_James posted:

Madness lies here.

Wireless itself is great. I love wireless, it's fascinating to learn about. The problem with wireless, like everything else in networking, is that nobody outside the field understands it and blames it constantly for all their problems.

guppy fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 8, 2020

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

guppy posted:

Wireless itself is great. I love wireless, it's fascinating to learn about. The problem with wireless, like everything else in networking, is that nobody outside the field understands it and blames it constantly for all their problems.

That's basically what I was referring to, also people that you will tell them what they need for adequate wireless coverage, balk at it, buy 1/4-1/2 what they need and then complain/blame you.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
For sure.

Unrelated: I jumped on the free PluralSight thing, but I haven't actually done any training there yet. What courses should I be taking if I want to learn about the :yayclod:, particularly Azure? A lot about what I do is impractical to do off-prem, but we've shifted some centralized services there. I don't work on that stuff right now, but it seems like a good skill set to develop. If we weren't using Azure I'd look into AWS, but Azure will be more directly relevant to me right now.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

guppy posted:

For sure.

Unrelated: I jumped on the free PluralSight thing, but I haven't actually done any training there yet. What courses should I be taking if I want to learn about the :yayclod:, particularly Azure? A lot about what I do is impractical to do off-prem, but we've shifted some centralized services there. I don't work on that stuff right now, but it seems like a good skill set to develop. If we weren't using Azure I'd look into AWS, but Azure will be more directly relevant to me right now.

I just started learning Azure too, and after looking over the PluralSight courses you can group them into certification paths. https://app.pluralsight.com/paths/certificate/microsoft-azure-administrator-az-103

Also if already or don't have a plurasight account go activate this benefit and the azure stuff should be free even after their 30 day trial. https://www.pluralsight.com/partners/microsoft/azure

I wanted a bigger picture of Azure and something structured, so I decided to spend some money at Udemy and ended up with the Kevin Brown AZ900 and AZ103 courses to get started and then go back to the Pluralsight ones for deep dives. So far they have been great and he is a great speaker so you can do 1.75 video playback no problem. I'm about a 1/3rd into AZ103 after finishing AZ900 and glad I took this route.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks. This also leads me to another question. I'm really enjoying this free month of Pluralsight, and I'm thinking of continuing with it, especially if I can convince work to pay for it. (We already pay for a thing I think is much worse, so I'd be just asking to switch providers.) Is there a consensus on whether there's a competitor that's clearly better?

One thing I wish Pluralsight were better at is defining its paths clearly. Most of what I've watched so far, I do the "beginner" video and somehow still inevitably hear "if you need more background on this, try my 'intro' series" or whatever. This was the beginner video! It's the first video in the path you recommended! This was supposed to be the intro!

Goreban Dallas 2.0
Jan 4, 2019

Cisco’s allowing online testing through pearsonvue starting today.

rogue_squirrel
Jan 4, 2007
Going through AWS Certs at the moment. I’m looking for practice exams. Finished SA associate and SysOps associate so far. Working on the sec specialty atm.

Got a month of acloudguru to see what it’s like and their practice exam is pretty good. But find their videos lacking (good for learning what’s on the exam. Not great for actually learning AWS stuff). So not interesting in paying the $85 aud bucks per month for it.

Any recommendations?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

rogue_squirrel posted:

Going through AWS Certs at the moment. I’m looking for practice exams. Finished SA associate and SysOps associate so far. Working on the sec specialty atm.

Got a month of acloudguru to see what it’s like and their practice exam is pretty good. But find their videos lacking (good for learning what’s on the exam. Not great for actually learning AWS stuff). So not interesting in paying the $85 aud bucks per month for it.

Any recommendations?

I'm not aware of practice exams other than what's available from AWS at https://www.aws.training/Certification as a certification benefit.

The general advice has been that ACG teaches to the test and Linux Academy teaches the material. ACG actually bought Linux Academy a few months ago so it'll be interesting to see how/if that changes. As of now they're running as separate companies but are supposed to merge at some point in the future.

Some other options: Pluralsight has some AWS Security courses and is free for the rest of April, and learning.oreilly.com has two video courses prepping for the exam and you can get access to learning.oreilly.com for US$99/year by joining the ACM (acm.org). Less if you're a student.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

rogue_squirrel posted:

Any recommendations?

Keep an eye out for a sale on Jon Bonso practice tests on Udemy. Those practice tests were harder than the real thing and consistently getting high scores will put you in a good place.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I realize it'll vary depending on the person, but how long does it take most people to prepare for +A? I'm moving from a humanities degree, so it's different than how I would study for past subjects, and I feel like I'm going through everything really slow. Though some of that could just be general quarantine fuckery.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
It's a lot of memorization. Honestly, if you've built a computer in the last 5 years, you already know 70% of the test.

I would buy a book, and then focus on all the parts where you are like "wtf, who uses this anymore", because that's what will get you. A month of diligent study will do it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I also took it years and years ago but from what I remember a lot of the questions were similar to those stupid ones you'd get when you'd apply for an entry level job at a big corporate place. Questions like " A user is upset that their email application isnt working do you:"
A - Insult their intelligence
B - Re-image machine
C - Begin with troubleshooting application
D - Buy a new computer

So yeah, assuming you've built a computer in the last 5 years and arent some knuckle dragging mouth breather you should do fine assuming you memorize their asinine trivia.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I also took it years and years ago but from what I remember a lot of the questions were similar to those stupid ones you'd get when you'd apply for an entry level job at a big corporate place. Questions like " A user is upset that their email application isnt working do you:"
A - Insult their intelligence
B - Re-image machine
C - Begin with troubleshooting application
D - Buy a new computer

It’s a big corporate place, so B. Maybe D.

Edit: D if it’s a Director or higher.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Darchangel posted:

It’s a big corporate place, so B. Maybe D.

Edit: D if it’s a Director or higher.

When in doubt reimage it out. Not going to be the approved answer but yeah, it's the one we all do.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know if Azure 300 level exams require you to memorize how to create ARM templates from scratch, or do they cover something like showing you different bits and bobs of templates and ask you to pick the correct one?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Delzuma posted:

When in doubt reimage it out. Not going to be the approved answer but yeah, it's the one we all do.

Ain't nobody got time to diagnose what weird-rear end poo poo the user hosed up, because they did it, even though they don't know how they did it, ir why they did it.
Imaging may take longer, time-wise, but way less attention and effort. Especially for one-off oddball issues.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I always have to explain this to our newer help desk people. We can spend everyone's time trying to solve this mystery like House, I.T. , or we can reimage and have the user back to work in 1 hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I can understand that from their perspective, it might not be the most efficient thing but they'll learn a lot more about how the computers work tracking down the source of the problems than flattening and reinstalling.