Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The main thing I remember is that Harry is a dicknuts who doesn't ask enough questions or care enough about the answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wizards being assholes is a universal constant.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
prisoner of azkaban is directed so much better than the other films that it doesn't even feel like it's part of the series

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Oh hey a Harry Potter thread! I was an extra in The Philosophers Stone as I loved the books but now I think JK Rowling is a massive piece of poo poo also i'm a hufflepuff okay that's my story bye bye

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ungulateman posted:

prisoner of azkaban is directed so much better than the other films that it doesn't even feel like it's part of the series

It has some absolutely baffling script omissions though.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Zore posted:

It has some absolutely baffling script omissions though.

Am I misremembering, or do they completely gloss over why Harry thinks his dad saved him from the Dementor attack during the time turner sequence? My recollection is that he proclaims "MUST'VE BEEN MY DAD" just out of nowhere, with no mention of his connections to stags or anything to that point

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

JethroMcB posted:

Am I misremembering, or do they completely gloss over why Harry thinks his dad saved him from the Dementor attack during the time turner sequence? My recollection is that he proclaims "MUST'VE BEEN MY DAD" just out of nowhere, with no mention of his connections to stags or anything to that point

Yep, they drop basically all exposition or info about the Marauders and don't ever mention that they made the map or why they became animagus etc. It flows very weirdly

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zore posted:

Yep, they drop basically all exposition or info about the Marauders and don't ever mention that they made the map or why they became animagus etc. It flows very weirdly

I feel like it was pretty bad when it came to setting things up for the other movies down the line. Although you could say that about all the movies save arguably Deathly Hallows Part 2.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Zore posted:

Didn't the movie actually end with the credits showing over the map and their "Marauder" names?

Without any of that background or exposition it was like, "Who or what is this?" unless you read the book.

And conversely, if you had read the book, you were like, "Why didn't you take 10 seconds to explain it?"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I went to see the movie with my father who had not read the books and he was completely baffled

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ungulateman posted:

My incredibly geeky favorite thing about the Azkaban film was casting David Thewlis as Professor Lupin, because at the time the entire shipping/slash community surrounding the books was largely dominated by pairing Lupin and Sirius and an entire generation of awkward horny adolescent girls had built him up as some total dreamboat and then the movie comes out and he looks like an actual middle-aged chronically ill professor who sleeps under a tree instead of a bishounen fuckboy.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

By the time Azkaban was being made the books were a cultural phenomenon, cutting the gordian knot of "how do you adapt a ten-hour+ book into a two-hour film" with "gently caress it, everyone's read the books anyway" was extremely astute. Why make the films for a world where people are going to be shocked that Harry's dad made the Marauder's Map when that world no longer exists?

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Sleeveless posted:

How much must it have sucked to be one of the like five British actors who weren't even offered a part in the Harry Potter movies.

I think Patrick Stewart still chafes about being in neither Harry Potter nor Lord of the Rings.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

josh04 posted:

By the time Azkaban was being made the books were a cultural phenomenon, cutting the gordian knot of "how do you adapt a ten-hour+ book into a two-hour film" with "gently caress it, everyone's read the books anyway" was extremely astute. Why make the films for a world where people are going to be shocked that Harry's dad made the Marauder's Map when that world no longer exists?

I mean Azkaban is a fairly short book and it would be trivial to insert a few sentences to actually explain things. It certainly wastes enough time on pointless repetitive conversations and inserting a racist scene that wasn't in the book.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Oh hey a Harry Potter thread! I was an extra in The Philosophers Stone as I loved the books but now I think JK Rowling is a massive piece of poo poo also i'm a hufflepuff okay that's my story bye bye

That's pretty sick! Any set stories?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sleeveless posted:

Uncle Porkflaps grabs Harry by the head, trying to pull Harry's wig off before remembering that Harry is a boy and probably his hair is real. "NO MORE MAGIC!" his throat rasps without it's usual gravy lube.

Realizing that his throat is foodless, Uncle Porkflaps exits to the kitchen.

"As long as God doesn't gently caress anything up." might be my favorite closing line to anything ever.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Ahhh, that's right. They never once talk about the magical MacGuffin that makes the whole drat plot possible and why it becomes a fetish object for Harry.

josh04 posted:

Every now and then I'll hear somebody is a big fan of the movies - or has at least seen all of them - but never picked up the books...why? How?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The problem here is, nobody is posting as a ride-or-die fan of the franchise. I like the seven books for what they are, decent children/teen entertainment, but I'm not a superfan. We need a Potterhead to get in here and start madposting at Pick for this to get real fun.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

VanSandman posted:

The problem here is, nobody is posting as a ride-or-die fan of the franchise. I like the seven books for what they are, decent children/teen entertainment, but I'm not a superfan. We need a Potterhead to get in here and start madposting at Pick for this to get real fun.

Troll in the dungeon!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

JethroMcB posted:

Ahhh, that's right. They never once talk about the magical MacGuffin that makes the whole drat plot possible and why it becomes a fetish object for Harry.

The Deathly Hallows being a thing that is introduced in the last book with zero foreshadowing or buildup was just one of many baffling decisions, but it gave us the arc of Harry becoming aware of his own mortality and then coveting the thought of living forever but ultimately rejecting it and accepting his own death which more or less carried a lot of the book. Its greatest sin was making the ultimate duel between good and evil be a convoluted logic puzzle about wand ownership.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

VanSandman posted:

hell yes i would be able to irritate the poo poo out of that person

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

I thought he just confused himself with his dad since they are supposed to look alike. Also he wasn't aware of the time travel stuff at the time so saying "that's me" wouldn't have made sense to him.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Sleeveless posted:

Its greatest sin was making the ultimate duel between good and evil be a convoluted logic puzzle about wand ownership.

I think this is really fitting in a weird way. The books center around magical education, and Rowling's model for it is the classic Trivium: grammar, rhetoric, and logic.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

PeterWeller posted:

I think this is really fitting in a weird way. The books center around magical education, and Rowling's model for it is the classic Trivium: grammar, rhetoric, and logic.

Ok but the answer is in a previous book, which goes against her 'self-contained mystery' setup for the books.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I invoke the following spell of summoning:

Which incidentally, really and almost instantly summoned this guy

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

VanSandman posted:

Ok but the answer is in a previous book, which goes against her 'self-contained mystery' setup for the books.

I don't think she was going for self contained mysteries. The later books are constantly looking back towards and building off the earlier ones. The entire vanishing cabinet bit from book 6 is set up in book 2 or 3.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

JethroMcB posted:

That and when people who know what the Deathly Hallows are see Harry's invisibility cloak in the earlier books, their reaction is just 'Oh, that's an interesting trinket.' rather than 'HOLY poo poo THAT'S A LEGENDARY OBJECT.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sleeveless posted:

The Deathly Hallows being a thing that is introduced in the last book with zero foreshadowing or buildup was just one of many baffling decisions, but it gave us the arc of Harry becoming aware of his own mortality and then coveting the thought of living forever but ultimately rejecting it and accepting his own death which more or less carried a lot of the book. Its greatest sin was making the ultimate duel between good and evil be a convoluted logic puzzle about wand ownership.

It would have certainly been more interesting if Harry had actually bit it and, like, Neville saved the day. Certainly moreso than 'everybody marries their high school sweetheart and gives their kids ridiculous names.'

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SolarFire2 posted:

That and when people who know what the Deathly Hallows are see Harry's invisibility cloak in the earlier books, their reaction is just 'Oh, that's an interesting trinket.' rather than 'HOLY poo poo THAT'S A LEGENDARY OBJECT.'

That's because most modern wizards just assume the Deathly Hallows are an old faerie tale and aren't actually real, and invisibility cloaks are common enough that Harry having one doesn't really seem all that absurd to most people. Dumbledore was pretty much the only character in the books who recognized the Potters' cloak for what it really was. He tells Harry in the infodump at the end that he felt guilty because when James showed it off to him and he realized what it was, he asked to borrow it so he could study it, knowing full well that it was one of the Hallows... and then James and Lily wound up murdered by Voldemort because they didn't have the cloak to hide themselves with.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

PeterWeller posted:

I don't think she was going for self contained mysteries. The later books are constantly looking back towards and building off the earlier ones. The entire vanishing cabinet bit from book 6 is set up in book 2 or 3.

I feel like the first three books were self-contained and then after the series blew up in popularity four served as a fulcrum to a back half that was more open ended and self-referential. A lot of young adult series seem to follow that arc to a degree, like how the first half of A Series of Unfortunate Events is adopted-parent-of-the-week stories until they go off the rails or how the third Hunger Games book doesn't actually have a Hunger Games in it.

Dawgstar posted:

It would have certainly been more interesting if Harry had actually bit it and, like, Neville saved the day. Certainly moreso than 'everybody marries their high school sweetheart and gives their kids ridiculous names.'

For years Rowling swore that she had the ending of the series written out already and sealed in an envelope whenever people asked her if the series was planned out or of she knew how it would end, and it turns out that epilogue is what she was referring to. Which is why it's worse written and clashes horribly with the rest of the book.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sleeveless posted:

For years Rowling swore that she had the ending of the series written out already and sealed in an envelope whenever people asked her if the series was planned out or of she knew how it would end, and it turns out that epilogue is what she was referring to. Which is why it's worse written and clashes horribly with the rest of the book.

YouTuber Jenny Nicholson expressed delight at the notion of what Rowling has since claimed she 'always knew' as one of those was Nagini being an Asian woman trapped as a snake. Jenny envisioned Rowling at a diner late one night writing down 'Boy Who Lived' and then right under it 'The Snake Is a Korean Woman.'

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

I feel like the first three books were self-contained and then after the series blew up in popularity four served as a fulcrum to a back half that was more open ended and self-referential. A lot of young adult series seem to follow that arc to a degree, like how the first half of A Series of Unfortunate Events is adopted-parent-of-the-week stories until they go off the rails or how the third Hunger Games book doesn't actually have a Hunger Games in it.

The first three certainly are a whole lot more self-contained than the rest of the series. But even when the first one is putting a bow on just about everything it makes a point that Voldemort has only been temporarily defeated and will return later in the series. I'm not sure it's popularity that causes the shift. Each book is written for a slightly more mature audience than the one before, so they ask more from their readers as they go on. I think that's all pretty deliberate and part of the didactic purpose of the series.

That's an interesting trend you bring up. I haven't read past the first two Unfortunate Events books, so I can't compare that series, though since it's also very didactic, I wonder if Snicket is doing something similar. I tend to think Mockingjay doesn't have an actual Hunger Games in it because Collins is very conscious of how much Catching Fire is a rehash of the first book and she knows she has to address the society that creates the Hunger Games if she wants to bring any sort of satisfying closure to the series.

But maybe this is not a trend in just YA stuff. I mean, look at how ASoIaF starts to stumble under its weight, or how The Expanse series becomes more disjointed and unevenly paced after the third book.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Series of unfortunate events is a good read. Spent a lot of time thinking about the ending.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

PeterWeller posted:

I tend to think Mockingjay doesn't have an actual Hunger Games in it because Collins is very conscious of how much Catching Fire is a rehash of the first book and she knows she has to address the society that creates the Hunger Games if she wants to bring any sort of satisfying closure to the series.

I was mostly just being flippant, I actually put off the second one for a long time after finding out that it was about Katniss doing another Hunger Game because of all the directions to take a sequel in that seemed like the least interesting. Thankfully they pulled it off though.

reignofevil posted:

Series of unfortunate events is a good read. Spent a lot of time thinking about the ending.

I read the series in high school even though it's targeted much younger just because the jokes were so good, Snickett giving definitions of things never stopped being funny and all the adults being lovely and stupid in ways any kid would recognize and had to have dealt with is so good.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Snicket's purposes are teaching children to understand narratives and question authority figures. The man is a hero and a saint.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Series is very good but there's a few books where bad-parent-of-the-week is floundering and Snicket's struggling to find a new format that works, where Rowling's decision to go full-George RR Martin for book four, though people moan about it, kicked the whole thing into high gear.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

josh04 posted:

Series is very good but there's a few books where bad-parent-of-the-week is floundering and Snicket's struggling to find a new format that works, where Rowling's decision to go full-George RR Martin for book four, though people moan about it, kicked the whole thing into high gear.

It's very funny to imagine a Harry Potter where all seven books were just him being both figuratively and literally haunted by the ghosts of his legacy with Voldemort getting Team Rocketed at the end each time like the first two.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

josh04 posted:

I didn't really mind the series going HAM on plots and darkness. The increasing romances wasn't great because that is clearly not Rowling's forte.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 23, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I re-read the whole series a couple years ago when my roommate at the time had all the books lying around (he borrowed them as, despite being a big fan of the movies, he had never read the books). Its kind of shocking how little there is in the first book, you can tell Rowling was learning how to write as she was writing them. You can also tell she bit off way more than she could chew saying there would be 7 books from the start. After re-reading them though, my opinion on 6 and 7 changed from 'bad' to 'utterly forgettable'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

W.T. Fits posted:

That's because most modern wizards just assume the Deathly Hallows are an old faerie tale and aren't actually real, and invisibility cloaks are common enough that Harry having one doesn't really seem all that absurd to most people. Dumbledore was pretty much the only character in the books who recognized the Potters' cloak for what it really was. He tells Harry in the infodump at the end that he felt guilty because when James showed it off to him and he realized what it was, he asked to borrow it so he could study it, knowing full well that it was one of the Hallows... and then James and Lily wound up murdered by Voldemort because they didn't have the cloak to hide themselves with.

So what's the difference between the Deathly Hallow invisiblity cloak and the more common off the shelf variety?