Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1245395600423768065?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Did any of the networks do anything for April Fools? I still remember CN putting googly eyes on every show in 2017 and thought that was hilarious. I guess something of that magnitude would be a little hard with everybody working from home these days.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In 2012, they brought back Toonami as april fools', and that generated enough interest that they brought it back for real.

April fools can be a good thing where everyone has fun and also a no-consequences trial run instead of gaslighting, but I think usually April Fools Day pranks usually are only put together like a week before, and there's only so much you can put together from home.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

They should have done a Screwy Squirrel Day reprise.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Remember when IR Baboon took over Cartoon Network?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Rewatch of TTS Update: Next Stop: Anywhere is a bop. That is all.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Apparently there's gonna be some sort of Adventure Time announcement on Sunday. I feel like it's way too soon for a reboot but also the finale doesn't lend itself to further adventures? Time for guessing.

(also there's a twitch rewatch party but like, that's not that big a deal)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
it'll probably have something to do with the HBO Max specials (concrete release dates maybe?)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They値l start Rowling-ing it up. Turns out Finn was bi all along.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

You call that a reveal?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

I was sitting here trying to make a "poo poo on the floor" joke for a long time but then I remembered that the main characters are a dog and a boy raised by dogs so that's really not a stretch.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Ducktales S3 started today. It's good! Really loved the hell out of the sitcom episode.

Apparently the show takes place after the events in A Goofy Movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

About ten years behind schedule:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIRu76QV96M

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Reminder that platypus literally means "flat footed".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm rewatching Green Eggs and Ham because it's been a while and there isn't much else to do, and I like how aspects of the early episodes are recontextualised when you know the overall story - Sam seems like he's just expositing to Guy about the Bad Guys when he's actually deliberately fueling a misconception that they are too naive to have seen themselves which makes it easy to get people on his side.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I like the running gag with the magnetic shackles

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

galenanorth posted:

I like the running gag with the magnetic shackles

~Absolute convict~

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Ducktales S3 started today. It's good! Really loved the hell out of the sitcom episode.

Apparently the show takes place after the events in A Goofy Movie.

Ducktales is tremendous, and it really feels like it's catered more to the adults (now), who watched all the disney poo poo growing up. The amount of references they make to canon, non-canon, other disney cartoons is crazy good. And the show itself is actually very solid in it's own right.

If you're not watching it now, you should be. :colbert:

They managed to make an homage to James Bond in the last episode that had real emotional stakes. In a goddamn cartoon show. Featuring one of the more goofy (but not that Goofy) characters, and shoehorn in a reference to another Disney afternoon cartoon from the 90's, and make it part of the modern canon for the TV show (we might see them again!). Crazy.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The new Ducktales canonized The Goofy Movie and I will forever appreciate it for that alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5nDsS4jzec

One of the latest episodes even had cameos for Max, PJ, and Roxanne. Even if they were super small I'm just glad someone remembers them. :unsmith:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

The new Ducktales canonized The Goofy Movie and I will forever appreciate it for that alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5nDsS4jzec

One of the latest episodes even had cameos for Max, PJ, and Roxanne. Even if they were super small I'm just glad someone remembers them. :unsmith:

They canonized one of the greatest chiptunes of the 80's, and made it pretty important in the context of the show, too! And gave it lyrics (suck it, Brentalfloss!)

This show is cool as poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Drewjitsu posted:

They canonized one of the greatest chiptunes of the 80's, and made it pretty important in the context of the show, too! And gave it lyrics (suck it, Brentalfloss!)

This show is cool as poo poo.

huh, I've must've heard that song a hundred times over the years in stuff like youtube videos and way back in Newgrounds flash games but never knew where it came from. Neat.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
New Craig of the Creek and Victor and Valentino(maybe) on the app. New episodes start this Saturday.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

HBO Max has released a trailer for their Looney Tunes revival. It'll be available on May 27.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I知 not really feeling this one. It tries to look like the old cartoons, with the classic style and that film patina, but the animation is too modern, without the smears and character, and they池e using modern technology. I feel like the Mickey Mouse cartoons do a much better job of fusing old and new than this, but this is a 2 minute trailer, so maybe I値l warm to it when I see the whole thing.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gann Jerrod posted:

I知 not really feeling this one. It tries to look like the old cartoons, with the classic style and that film patina, but the animation is too modern, without the smears and character, and they池e using modern technology. I feel like the Mickey Mouse cartoons do a much better job of fusing old and new than this, but this is a 2 minute trailer, so maybe I値l warm to it when I see the whole thing.

There's also this feeling that it's trying TOO HARD to be like those old cartoons in the gags and whatnot and I agree with the style choices. It felt incredibly off for some reason.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
A lot of the wild takes look a little gross when they're done in HD.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It definitely feels like it's in the spirit of the original shorts, although there's reasons why classic slapstick cartoons died out. With a big budget and modern tools, it's more work to not go crazy with every reaction and movement, which tends to diminish the impact and make everything look not solid. It's also harder to have the same amount of bite when dealing with content that children will end up watching, regardless of whether they're supposed to.

I wonder if Wabbit did well, which is why they're going back to the same core concept, or if it did badly, which is why they've gone a lot harder on emulating the original instead of figuring out a new style.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Why are all the gloves yellow? Is it to emulate film patina, as mentioned above?

SlothfulCobra posted:

It definitely feels like it's in the spirit of the original shorts, although there's reasons why classic slapstick cartoons died out. With a big budget and modern tools, it's more work to not go crazy with every reaction and movement, which tends to diminish the impact and make everything look not solid. It's also harder to have the same amount of bite when dealing with content that children will end up watching, regardless of whether they're supposed to.

I feel this problem is similar to the Mortal Kombat series - HD/4k fatalities seem far less comical, and far more psychopathic then watching someone get their spine ripped out in 16bit 480p.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Drewjitsu posted:

Why are all the gloves yellow? Is it to emulate film patina, as mentioned above?

it's because Bugs had yellow gloves in some of his earliest appearances (like Hare-Um Scare-Um and Elmer's Pet Rabbit) and a bunch of promotional artwork comics at the time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh hey, a new Owl House episode, and it has a Big Boss body pillow.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Ice pillar is a neat second spell. I hope she figures out how to make other things with it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Starting to see why Eda is the best witch in the Boiling Isles; she's about the only one who remembers that the Isles themselves are magical as gently caress, and all the codified and documented spells learned in school had to come from somewhere originally. She's got what amounts to an extremely back-to-basics approach, and an important one for someone with no inbuilt magical attributes to be able to do magic at all.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Edna is an anprim with a fursona

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts season two is arriving in June.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I haven't gotten around to watching Kipo yet but I heard it's another case of "netflix splitting a season in 2 and advertising it the 2nd half as a separate season" thing? so like technically what's coming out in june is actually the 2nd half of season 1?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I haven't gotten around to watching Kipo yet but I heard it's another case of "netflix splitting a season in 2 and advertising it the 2nd half as a separate season" thing? so like technically what's coming out in june is actually the 2nd half of season 1?

It ends on a big cliffhanger, but it's the kind of cliffhanger that sets up a new season rather than interrupting the current story.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts season two is arriving in June.

That's exciting but makes me wonder when the gently caress we get more Hilda

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I can tell you that Hilda's rollout has a lot of licensing deals caught up in it, including a board game, and that there have been a lot of delays. I don't know what the animation production looks like.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Got Disney+ for the free week, and then extended it a month.

We started on Tangled based on the recommendations in this thread and it's really good! After it gets past the moral-a-week beginning, it gets pretty deep. Part of the reason we extended is so we could watch season 3. Not finished yet.

Also started Milo Murphy's Law more recently and I think it can definitely hang in there with the best of Phineas and Ferb. One thing annoys me though, and that's the "Sheldon Cooper" vibe I keep getting from Milo. It's mostly ignorable.

Edit: it also annoys me that Murphy's Law is from the 40s, not ages ago.

Lots of people since then have tried to name 'Laws' with their name attached, but I'm a fan of Coles Law.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Beachcomber posted:

Also started Milo Murphy's Law more recently and I think it can definitely hang in there with the best of Phineas and Ferb. One thing annoys me though, and that's the "Sheldon Cooper" vibe I keep getting from Milo. It's mostly ignorable.

...how? He seems like pretty much the complete opposite in every imaginable way.