Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Bank posted:

Maybe I should ask this in some other thread, but I figure you guys may know best. When I watch things via Plex (PC server to Roku on TV with integrated speakers) the volume is ear blasting during action scenes and the like, but when the dialogue comes up it's super quiet. From what I've read the solution is to either change audio settings on my TV (I've checked and don't see anything applicable in my settings), buy an X.1 speaker system so the dialog comes out through the center channel, re-process the files with a different audio setup.

Is there anything else I should try? I really hate having to change the volume every so often and it makes the movie watching experience pretty awful for me. I don't really notice it on TV shows, just movies, presumably due to file type?

So, Roku rolled out sound leveling on my Ultra. In order to enable it you have to hit the asterisk on a video while it's playing. It kicks so much rear end. I don't have to re-encode poo poo and they even have a night mode which boosts whisper level sounds.

Life is good again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Appreciate this feedback as I hadn't realized it, but yeah, it's pretty bad. My annual is up in June so now is a good time for a replacement recurring.

What's the newest hotness to jump on? I pretty much take goon hive mind opinions as gospel and rarely have been wrong.

For Highwinds backbone there is Newsgroup Ninja (very cheap subscription) and TheCubeNet (block account) although you may be able to find cheaper block plans since Cube doesn't seem to be running their sales at the moment.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Former Human posted:

For Highwinds backbone there is Newsgroup Ninja (very cheap subscription) and TheCubeNet (block account) although you may be able to find cheaper block plans since Cube doesn't seem to be running their sales at the moment.

Thanks! Ninja was $10 cheaper annual than NGD so this worked out nicely. I'll hawk for a block account deal when they come around. Appreciate the input.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
My unlimited account is Tweaknews and I regularly grab stuff over 1500 days old without using my backups :shrug:

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Thanks! Ninja was $10 cheaper annual than NGD so this worked out nicely. I'll hawk for a block account deal when they come around. Appreciate the input.

for the HW access there is also frugal usenet and it also has farm access as well with the same membership. ninja has some reputation on reddit where they arent really well liked for some reason but i have not really followed why.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

NewsDemon is having a sale for the next month with specials changing every week according to the Reddit post for their 15 year anniversary.

This week's deals are
Unlimited + VPN for 7 months for $15
Unlimited + VPN for $3 a month
Unlimited + VPN for 12 months for $29.95
1TB non expiring block for $7

Deal link

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

NewsGroupDirect have created free unlimited access for their block accounts to use, apparently no strings attached? You just need to change the NNTP server

Link here

They've also got 1TB blocks for $7.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Nam Taf posted:

NewsGroupDirect have created free unlimited access for their block accounts to use, apparently no strings attached? You just need to change the NNTP server

Link here

They've also got 1TB blocks for $7.

Im not sure if NGD is even worth it for the price of free to be honest.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I feel bad for NGD splitting up with Highwinds but their attempt to go it alone has not really worked out for older stuff. Should be decent enough for Sonarr grabs.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

SlipperyNipple posted:

I had a block account from prior to the split so I may as well use this and it.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Anyone know a cheap (free) way to get a dynamic DNS set up? I'm using dyndns so that I can access sonarr/radarr externally from nzb360 but dyndns needs a confirmation every 30 days or they delete me. Alternative is to pay them $25 a year which IMO is highway robbery for what you get..

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Bank posted:

Anyone know a cheap (free) way to get a dynamic DNS set up? I'm using dyndns so that I can access sonarr/radarr externally from nzb360 but dyndns needs a confirmation every 30 days or they delete me. Alternative is to pay them $25 a year which IMO is highway robbery for what you get..

Duckdns.org

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

TraderStav posted:

Appreciate this feedback as I hadn't realized it, but yeah, it's pretty bad. My annual is up in June so now is a good time for a replacement recurring.

What's the newest hotness to jump on? I pretty much take goon hive mind opinions as gospel and rarely have been wrong.

Seconding this, I would like a rec on a good deal for a quality usenet provider AND the indexer to go with today. I like the idea of paying for a non expiring amount like 1TB so I can try it out and see what my usage is before going with a monthly/yearly subscription.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Duckdns.org

Thanks!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I get free azure credits so I just wrote a 10 line script using az cli that updates my DNS using the rest API.

Even if I didn't get free credits I think it costs me like A$0.80/month

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

norp posted:

I get free azure credits so I just wrote a 10 line script using az cli that updates my DNS using the rest API.

Even if I didn't get free credits I think it costs me like A$0.80/month

There's a ton of docker containers to do this.

I use ddns updater to update my godaddy dns when my home IP changes (but honestly it only changes during a power cycle of the router.

https://hub.docker.com/r/qmcgaw/ddns-updater

Compose file:

code:
  ddns-updater:
    image: qmcgaw/ddns-updater
    container_name: ddns-updater
    restart: always
    ports:
      - 8000:8000
    volumes:
      - ./config/ddns-updater/data:/updater/data
    environment:
      - DELAY=300s
      - ROOT_URL=/
      - LISTENING_PORT=8000
      - LOG_ENCODING=console
      - LOG_LEVEL=info
      - NODE_ID=0
      - HTTP_TIMEOUT=10s
    restart: always
    labels:
      - traefik.http.routers.ddns.entrypoints=websecure
      - traefik.http.routers.ddns.tls=true
      - traefik.http.routers.ddns.rule=Host(`my.domain.com`)
      - traefik.http.routers.ddns.tls.certresolver=leresolver
      - traefik.http.services.ddns.loadbalancer.server.port=8000
      - traefik.http.routers.ddns.middlewares=oauth
      - traefik.http.middlewares.oauth.forwardauth.trustForwardHeader=true
      - traefik.http.middlewares.oauth.forwardauth.Address=http://oauth:4181
      - traefik.http.middlewares.oauth.forwardauth.authResponseHeaders=X-Forwarded-User,X-WebAuth-User
my config file:

code:
cat config.json
{
    "settings": [
        {
            "provider": "godaddy",
            "domain": "my.domain.com",
            "host": "@",
            "ip_method": "cycle",
            "no_dns_lookup": true,
            "key": "sdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdf,
            "secret": "sdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdf"
        },
        {
            "provider": "godaddy",
            "domain": "domain.com",
            "host": "*",
            "ip_method": "cycle",
            "no_dns_lookup": true,
            "key": "sdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdf",
            "secret": "sdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdf"
        }
    ]
}

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Jerk McJerkface posted:

There's a ton of docker containers to do this.

I don't use docker, mainly because my sever is freebsd and switching my over to Linux or setting everything up in a docker-machine VM is way more effort than maintaining my ezjail based setup.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
DO you have a router that's capable of doing this for you? I run my cloud flare DDNS updater off of pfsense.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

SlipperyNipple posted:

I'm actually pretty surprised to find it catching things that are missing on my usuals.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

I'm actually pretty surprised to find it catching things that are missing on my usuals.

holy poo poo, you have 21 servers configured? that is strange though. some are duplicates but i wonder why eu ninja or eu frugal is giving results after the US servers of the same backbones are tried. are those all set as same priority or each one numbered 1-21?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

That's just the order I've added them to NZBGet. Ninja, Tweak, Frugal, and NGD Covid are all highest priority, as they are unlimited servers. I find that different locations of a single provider sometimes have different availability, so I include every variation a provider allows and I leave Group to 0 for everything because I want every server to be independently tried because of that. Next in priority after that is Frugal's bonus server and premiumize.me as they aren't truly unlimited but 1TB monthly, so I want them in a backup roll. Next in priority is the cheapest unlimited SunnyUsenet and the free XS Usenet accounts, as they are unlimited but so slow that I would rather dip from those 1TB monthly quota blocks than use them, but still would rather a slow download than hit my true block accounts. Block accounts all have their own priority level in order of how valuable I thought the block was when I set it up, which looks like it was Astraweb then NGD then Blocknews then Farm.

It's very much overkill, but it is the case that sometimes something actually does end up 100% at the last step. Here is an example I just found from the last 24 hours that made it all the way down to my Farm block, and even there one of Farm's servers had failures and the other was complete. Also interesting to me that people say that Frugal's bonus server is Farm, but both Farm block servers had success on articles that Frugal bonus failed on.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

That's just the order I've added them to NZBGet. Ninja, Tweak, Frugal, and NGD Covid are all highest priority, as they are unlimited servers.

Upthread this was talked about, maybe in the last two months? If all servers are the same priority then they will all be downloaded from at the same time splitting the load. if something just happened to be downloaded on ninja EU or NGD covid, that doesnt necessarily mean it wasnt on any of the others it just means it was grabbed from that server during download, with the other priority zero's. i think to really see whats what every server would need its own priority 0-21 and to see if covid really had something no other server had it would need to be priority 21.

the other poster was going to try for science for a month but last i knew they didnt report back the results.

i went back to find the discussion it was on feb 20th. this was about sabnzb but nzbget is similar i believe.

SlipperyNipple fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 20, 2020

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

SlipperyNipple posted:

Upthread this was talked about, maybe in the last two months? If all servers are the same priority then they will all be downloaded from at the same time splitting the load. if something just happened to be downloaded on ninja EU or NGD covid, that doesnt necessarily mean it wasnt on any of the others it just means it was grabbed from that server during download, with the other priority zero's. i think to really see whats what every server would need its own priority 0-21 and to see if covid really had something no other server had it would need to be priority 21.
Most of what you are saying is technically correct, except that this does clearly show that NGD Covid had articles the others were missing.

An article successfully fetched from one priority 0 server will not be requested from another priority 0 server, and will not then lower the success% and increase the failures%. Like in a case where every server has every article, every server will report success% as 100 and failures% as 0.

So in my first screenshot, Ninja and Frugal had 100% failure for the articles it was asked for. It would not have been asked for articles that Tweak and NGD Covid had already successfully downloaded, sure, so maybe in theory it had them and wasn't actually missing 100%. But NGD Covid did clearly have the 80% that Tweak didn't, because we know that it's the only server that had any success other than Tweak.

Here is another example:

Every other one of my unlimited servers had failures, but NGD Covid did not. The total number of articles for this download was 250. By the failure percentages we can see that NGD had articles that no other priority 0 had. (You say priority 21 would be needed, but I don't see the relevance of my block servers. Yeah, I'm sure if it was below my block servers there would probably be nothing left missing.)

So yeah, if you want to know the exact amount of articles a server fails on, you can't have anything on the same priority. But why care to be that exact when you can still see the percent success/failures on the ones they actually were asked for?

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

Like in a case where every server has every article, every server will report success% as 100 and failures% as 0.

thanks for the explanation. i never accessed the stats of nzbget that much before. i dont understand the above statement though. why would nzbget query every enabled server for each article downloaded even if the server is not the one used for specific parts of the download? how could it say 100% of the download was on any specific server if 100% of the download was not from any specific server?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

SlipperyNipple posted:

how could it say 100% of the download was on any specific server if 100% of the download was not from any specific server?

It doesn't. The four columns left to right are 1) number of articles requested from this server 2) percentage of total articles requested from this server 3) percentage of requested articles successfully downloaded from this server 4) percentage of requested articles that failed on this server.

So in a case where every priority 0 server has all of the articles, all will have 100% success because 100% of the articles requested from it were delivered.

Look at my last screenshot as an example. Total of 225 articles for that download. (NZBGet actually says 250 but the math works out to 225 and I presume that the NZB had 25 articles worth of par files that weren't needed.)

NGD Covid is only asked for 111 of them, the other 114 were delivered by other servers. So 1) 111. 111 is roughly 50% of 225. So 2) 50%. Every article asked for is delivered, so 3) 100% and 4) 0%.

At the same time, Tweak is being asked for articles since it is the same priority. By the end of the download, Tweak gets asked for 1) 186 articles which is 2) 83% of total articles, it successfully supplies 3) 38% of those articles and fails at 4) 62% of those articles.

No server gets queried if it has all 225 or 250 articles, the reporting is just about the specific articles the server was asked for.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Any idea what the difference between the Covid server is and the other NGD servers? Why are the articles evidently more complete?

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Former Human posted:

Any idea what the difference between the Covid server is and the other NGD servers? Why are the articles evidently more complete?

I suspect folks that have/had experience with NGD around the switchover, but not anytime lately are the explanation here. I was in the middle of a year sub when it happened and it was fairly rough for a few weeks/couple months, but anything that comes in automated has been a non-issue for quite some time.

I have a few block accounts in different backbones that I've collected, but leave them all disabled and everything still shows up just fine. Occasional failed that gets auto-reattempted, but it's not like any other provider doesn't get those too. Of course older stuff can be a mess and that's where I selectively use the blocks.

Full disclosure, I did intend to switch after my year, but forgot and it auto renewed... I didn't worry about it or make any attempt to cancel because it's been fine. YMMV, of course.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Former Human posted:

I'm not suggesting the covid server is more complete than other NGD servers. In my case, my other NGD servers are block accounts, so it isn't surprising they are are turning up nothing with the covid server added to my setup. Still ended up more helpful before the free covid access than Astraweb or Blocknews blocks have been for a long time though.

And it is my experience that sometimes NGD has nothing at all, like the second out of my three posted examples. Honestly I find very little rhyme or reason to when one particular server out of my collection is the one that seems to be untouched for a random NZB. It varies a lot from NZB to NZB. This includes with automation. Maybe my automation is too fast and so I'm trying to fetch before the articles have cross populated? Not sure.

I could get away with turning my blocks off, but then a significant more number of downloads would have to repair from par for lack of a tiny amount of data, and my aging N54L NAS is not that great at quickly repairing things on top of everything else it is doing.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Fancy_Lad posted:

but anything that comes in automated has been a non-issue for quite some time.

i think automated downloads or basically anything posted within minutes / hours is going to be complete no matter who you use. heck altopia could get the job done for you in that case. it is what happens after you get out of that "new" period that makes it a good server to have or not. the retention on ngd / express is just very spotty at the end of the day. i dont have access to the covid server though so maybe they are doing something on there thats different.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

Thanks for this, seems cheaper than any other deal I can find right now.

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran
For years I've been using Supernews at $10/mo with blocks at NewsGroupDirect and Astraweb to backfill because I've been too lazy to change things.

Would a Highwinds reseller be a good replacement for Supernews? Obviously it would be way cheaper.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I always learn of some new Docker stuff when Jerk McJerkface posts.

Hed fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 26, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hogofwar posted:

Thanks for this, seems cheaper than any other deal I can find right now.

FWIW I've been using NewsDemon as my primary for years and been very satisfied with it. Their included VPN is pretty slow but it works for public wifi and other occasional uses.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 22, 2020

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

CapMoron posted:

For years I've been using Supernews at $10/mo with blocks at NewsGroupDirect and Astraweb to backfill because I've been too lazy to change things.

Would a Highwinds reseller be a good replacement for Supernews? Obviously it would be way cheaper.

That was pretty much me and I switched to a random Highwinds reseller and have a few block accounts. No real difference in completion but paying half per year of what I was before.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010
isnt the retention of supernews like 500 days now? feel like there would be a huge difference in swapping to anybody else.

SlipperyNipple fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 22, 2020

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I dropped supernews for a $30/year ninja account about a year ago. I then spent ~$20 or so on a broad range of block accounts

It improved my grabs significantly and I still haven't re-upped any of those blocks.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
You can get NewsDemon for even cheaper if you switch the currency to South African rands https://www.newsdemon.com/billinginfo.php?pricepointid=2020112&couponcode=reddit50&lang=sa

R358.96 is $18.78 US at the moment

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Are their decent alternatives to sonar/radarr? They’re unusable in OS X Catalina with no good way to access directories. I guess I can go back to couch potato for movies.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

sonatinas posted:

Are their decent alternatives to sonar/radarr? They’re unusable in OS X Catalina with no good way to access directories. I guess I can go back to couch potato for movies.

You installing directly or running docker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Matt Zerella posted:

You installing directly or running docker?

Directly. Was hesitant using docker when it wanted more privileges.