Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

YggiDee posted:

So, apparently Pendleton Ward has been working on something called The Midnight Gospel, and it looks like... something all right

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1252020386587238400?s=19

Only saw the first ep so far but it ruled so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

HBO Max has released a trailer for their Looney Tunes revival. It's looking pretty nice.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Speaking of The Simpsons on Disney+, are they ever going to fix the aspect ratio for the 4:3 episodes? I thought the official word was that it was happening this year, which I guess is still possible but they don't seem to be in a loving hurry.

The latest word is they’ll have the 4:3 versions sometime next month.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 21, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Olaf is the worst part of the Frozen movies. :colbert:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

J-Spot posted:

Ok, good to know it's at least still on their radar.

The_Doctor posted:

Olaf is the worst part of the Frozen movies. :colbert:

I'd argue that the worst part of the Frozen movies is Frozen 2's script

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Egbert Souse posted:

That was done by Fox prior to the Disney sale. I think some of the early seasons were remastered by Reliance Mediaworks, while the rest of the pre-HD seasons were not.
Of course it makes sense that the seasons anyone is interested in look like blah :imunfunny:

I suppose a better example would be Mickey's Christmas Carol.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nikaer Drekin posted:

I'd argue that the worst part of the Frozen movies is Frozen 2's script

"Script" is a real generous word there

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Of course it makes sense that the seasons anyone is interested in look like blah :imunfunny:

I suppose a better example would be Mickey's Christmas Carol.

Reliance Mediaworks generally does great work, but they're at the mercy of whatever the studio wants them to do. For example, the first five Disney features look great (they even re-did Pinocchio prior to Blu-ray since the UK DVD that used their first remaster was universally chided), but went a bit too far on Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty.

They absolutely did not handle the final masters for The Sword in the Stone and Mickey's Christmas Carol for the Blu-rays. I don't think anyone figured out what happened, but at some point a filter was applied to the entirety of the film. In fact, you can catch a glimpse of the unfiltered transfer of MCC in the menu screens and it looks gorgeous. It's still astonishing that they never offered replacements for those discs since they're easily the worst-ever major studio releases I've seen.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm getting extreme Ren & Stimpy: Adult Cartoon Party vibes from that for reasons I don't know and don't want to explore further.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also does this make Frosty's hat his backup memory

Nah, the hat is a physical authentication key required to access the part of the water memory containing frosty and ensure there is only one active frosty terminal at a time.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

IUG posted:

I'm getting extreme Ren & Stimpy: Adult Cartoon Party vibes from that for reasons I don't know and don't want to explore further.

I can kind of see what you mean. Both are heavily aping that 1940’s animation style that you otherwise never see in HD.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

YggiDee posted:

So, apparently Pendleton Ward has been working on something called The Midnight Gospel, and it looks like... something all right

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1252020386587238400?s=19

Watched the first ep and it's kinda good? If you told me that something combining Waking Life and Rick and Morty would be anything but brutally obnoxious I'd laugh, but at least the first one is decent.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

J-Spot posted:

I can kind of see what you mean. Both are heavily aping that 1940’s animation style that you otherwise never see in HD.

I feel like the line weight is off. The lines seem razor thin, and don't have the "character" of the pencil lines Photostatted onto cels the originals had.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Pencil lines xeroxed onto cels wasn't something the old looney tunes shorts did that was more of a Disney thing in later decades, what WB did was have inkers trace over the art onto cels.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

J-Spot posted:

HBO Max has released a trailer for their Looney Tunes revival. It's looking pretty nice.

It doesn't have the sketchlike look, but other than that it's very close in spirit. Much closer than most other recent outings. Looks interesting.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Pencil lines xeroxed onto cels wasn't something the old looney tunes shorts did that was more of a Disney thing in later decades, what WB did was have inkers trace over the art onto cels.

Ah, misremembered then. I still think the razor thin lines on this new Looney Toons doesn't have the same feel as the old ones and that's what's tripping my eye up on them.
Also the voices ranging from "almost" to "not even close."

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

CaptainCrunch posted:

Ah, misremembered then. I still think the razor thin lines on this new Looney Toons doesn't have the same feel as the old ones and that's what's tripping my eye up on them.
Also the voices ranging from "almost" to "not even close."

I realize I might be wrong about that... for the later 50s/60s shorts. But separate cel inkers were def the case for the 40s shorts (the era of Bob Clampett, Frank Tashlin, Dover Boys-era Chuck Jones) that these new ones are the most inspired by

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Scoob's gonna pull a Trolls: World Tour and be out on on demand May 15th

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

CaptainCrunch posted:

I feel like the line weight is off. The lines seem razor thin, and don't have the "character" of the pencil lines Photostatted onto cels the originals had.

Regardless of the exact process, my exact thought was the lines are too thin.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I will pay money to watch Scoob.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I still cry every time at Brother Bear, especially when he chooses to stay as a bear at the end :h:

Is the sequel any good? It's included on the same disc in the bluray I bought

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'd like for this to become the new norm expect watching it at home shouldn't cost me twice as much as if I went to a cinema. :confuoot:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Avalerion posted:

I'd like for this to become the new norm expect watching it at home shouldn't cost me twice as much as if I went to a cinema. :confuoot:

Yeah but for an average family it's a huge savings.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pick posted:

Yeah but for an average family it's a huge savings.

It's a savings even over the cost of one adult and one child ticket around these parts, and that's before these brats get to concessions.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
But for that price, you’ve actually bought the film, no?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's a savings even over the cost of one adult and one child ticket around these parts, and that's before these brats get to concessions.

Imagine not sneaking in your own concessions.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The_Doctor posted:

But for that price, you’ve actually bought the film, no?

Yes but you could essentially argue the same thing about going to the theater. The difference there is theoretically a better experience, and seeing it earlier. The first of which is becoming less and less relevant/true.

I do think including some kind of discount on buying the home version later is probably a good idea.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

You can do whatever you like at the Cinemoplex but please consider purchasing the concessions at smaller, locally owned theaters. :)

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

That looks really close in spirit to the original shorts, which has not really been done well with the other revivals. It’s weird that it’d probably look a lot better if they threw on a filter to fade the color, resolution, and audio quality. Some of the background art also is noticeably more modern. That doesn’t mean it’s gonna be bad, but if you’re going to ape the old style it’d make sense to me to unpolish it a little more.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I 100% do this when I go to a movie myself (though I buy concessions at rep cinemas, mostly because they sell beer) but how is a ziploc bag of Smarties going to compete with loving Elsa telling the kids they need to buy a $15 popcorn because Anna is on the bag

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The Silver Snail posted:

You can do whatever you like at the Cinemoplex but please consider purchasing the concessions at smaller, locally owned theaters. :)

That's what I do.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
What are people’s thoughts on The Willoughbys? Being locked inside the kids picked up on it immediately and I thought it was quite fun. Some of the animation choices were neat and the voice actors sounded like they had a lot of fun (I could not tell it was Will Forte as Tim).

It’s basically a mix of Wes Anderson and Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs (this also has Will Forte and Terry Crews so it’s the first thing that came to mind) which worked for me.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

flashy_mcflash posted:

I 100% do this when I go to a movie myself (though I buy concessions at rep cinemas, mostly because they sell beer) but how is a ziploc bag of Smarties going to compete with loving Elsa telling the kids they need to buy a $15 popcorn because Anna is on the bag

:v:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I've tried but those snack sized bags can't fit over their heads and seal, so I can still hear them whining

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://nerdbot.com/2020/04/21/sailor-moon-will-be-free-to-watch-on-youtube-starting-april-24th/

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/nutmargaret_/status/1252736648095436801

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well that was great. Goodnight, everybody!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The Silver Snail posted:

This, that's basically how they make their money.

Relatedly, AMC is being sued by at least one location for failure to pay rent, and it's likely they'll file for Bankruptcy https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/amc-theatres-bankruptcy-likely-1234575780/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I am so glad this thread exists. Holy poo poo that made my entire day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I asked a friend if he knew what Phoenix Wright was so I could show him this fantastic piece of art and he said no :cry: