Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Oh who hasn't done that

in DCS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
When a Raptor did that the pilots I worked with were convinced there was an engine failure or something. Nope, good ole pilot error resulting in immediate belly landing. No ejection required at least.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I remember reading (possibly apocryphal) about a navy pilot who was doing their preflight or something and figured, hell, let's push the "raise landing gear" button because surely the plane has an interlock somewhere to prevent the landing gear from being raised when the plane's on the ground, and I wanna see what happens. It didn't and the plane had to get very expensive repairs.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://i.imgur.com/Tq8c3A0.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/p0V31kj.mp4

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Odd considering the source. Don't astronauts always take off with the gear up?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I remember reading (possibly apocryphal) about a navy pilot who was doing their preflight or something and figured, hell, let's push the "raise landing gear" button because surely the plane has an interlock somewhere to prevent the landing gear from being raised when the plane's on the ground, and I wanna see what happens. It didn't and the plane had to get very expensive repairs.

Literally every plane now has weight on wheels switch that doesn't allow that. I can believe that happening early on but not any time in the last 40 years or so.

In the case of the F-22, if it's the video I'm thinking of, that was literally one of two times the flight controls got wired backwards during the early phases of testing. One happened at Edwards and one happened at Nellis.

It could however be a totally separate incident in which the pilot took off, pulled the gear up, and then immediately belly landed it, but that doesn't make poo poo for sense.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
They say that NATOPS is written in blood and the sweat of strategic facilitated risk management assessements.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

It could however be a totally separate incident in which the pilot took off, pulled the gear up, and then immediately belly landed it, but that doesn't make poo poo for sense.

That is exactly what happened in 2017 or 2018.

quote:

First, the MP had incorrect Takeoff and Landing Data (TOLD) for the conditions at NAS Fallon on the day of the mishap, and more importantly, he failed to apply any corrections to the incorrect TOLD. Second, the MP prematurely retracted the LG at an airspeed that was insufficient for the MA to maintain flight. Additionally, the AIB President found by the preponderance of the evidence that four additional factors substantially contributed to the mishap: inadequate flight brief, organizational acceptance of an incorrect technique, formal training, and organizational overconfidence in equipment.”

The investigation found Raptor pilots were routinely conducting takeoffs/rotations at too low an airspeed and yanking up gear early. Do that enough times and someone lands it during takeoff.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Oh it's a new incident. I didn't know that one. Yeehaw boys.

And that report makes sense. Let's just do our TOLD incorrectly and then not even really pay attention to it. We're fighters, what could go wrong?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

That is exactly what happened in 2017 or 2018.

The investigation found Raptor pilots were routinely conducting takeoffs/rotations at too low an airspeed and yanking up gear early. Do that enough times and someone lands it during takeoff.

Yeah, that explains an FCIF we had. Didn't know any of the details of the mishap though.

Edit: AWACS was grounded in like 2009 or so for a few days because someone at ACC realized/decided the TOLD data they'd been using since the 70s wasn't accurate. :rolleye:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Comrade Moron here too cool for the “two climb” call.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Read two lines out of order in the checklist.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

Odd considering the source. Don't astronauts always take off with the gear up?
lol owned

can you do this in a tweet reply that i can like

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

Read two lines out of order in the checklist.

I think the simplest explanation is the guy was being very aspirational on takeoff. He’s got a pitch input really early on if the fully extended nose gear strut is any indication.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:thejoke:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1254849018015805449?s=20

Turkey takes the win for darkest sketch.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
That's really committing to letting the beatings continue until morale improves.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lmao

https://twitter.com/rapvillainy_/status/1254578053839089665?s=21

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/mupper2/status/1254491948347527168?s=20

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Im the tricycle with a roll cage

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I’m the dude with the LMG in the bad Imperial Army cosplay.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Pilot says system defective.

Expected performance: landing gear is raised.

Actual performance: fuselage is lowered.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Literally every plane now has weight on wheels switch that doesn't allow that. I can believe that happening early on but not any time in the last 40 years or so.

I guess a defective WOW switch might cause it, though in most cases defective means either dead or loving with someone else's poo poo. I could also see someone working on it and forgetting to take the shim out.

I'm pretty sure each strut has it's own switch but if it didn't you could have problems if the nose strut is off the ground and the mains aren't...

Source: Me, an Airframer who hasn't Framed much air in the past few years cause he's too busy filling his lungs with isocyanates.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

CMD598 posted:

Source: Me, an Airframer who hasn't Framed much air in the past few years cause he's too busy filling his lungs with isocyanates.

man that's a hosed up vape liquid even for you

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

The French copy no-one, and no-one copies the French.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MikeCrotch posted:

The French copy no-one

That's clearly a battle kilt.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Tactikilt :colbert:

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

man that's a hosed up vape liquid even for you

Now I'm thinking about turning a respirator into a vape...

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/TheWTFNation/status/1255181494894637056

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

That's been shut for the last month due to covid. Sadly taking CLDJ's gym and MWR with it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Weird question (uh...research) but is there some kind of DFAC at Camp Lemonnier?

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Weird question (uh...research) but is there some kind of DFAC at Camp Lemonnier?

Yes but I believe the Navy calls it a mess hall. Social distancing is in effect though so if you're planning targets for IDF I just ask that you hit my CLU while I'm in it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I just want a hotdog man

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CMD598 posted:

I guess a defective WOW switch might cause it, though in most cases defective means either dead or loving with someone else's poo poo. I could also see someone working on it and forgetting to take the shim out.

I'm pretty sure each strut has it's own switch but if it didn't you could have problems if the nose strut is off the ground and the mains aren't...

There’s a reason one of the first items on every before-start checklist is “check landing gear handle down and locked.”

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, this solution happened 1942(?), it was recognized that just using the T-34s for long distance travel was easier than trucks.

Its worth noting early T-34s suffered from the same sort of Transmission issues the Germans did, it was not uncommon for T-34s to have a spare transmission strapped to the engine deck.

Probably because they were using straight cut gears, and the Soviets had metallurgy issues:

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, straight cut gears are bad. Sherman used Herringbone gears and other gear cuts.

Panther didnt have that due to lack of machining equipment that late in the war.

Its also why the Tiger's transmission fared better: It was made prior to the huge bombing campaigns of the 8th Air Force, so they got the machining done earlier.

Tigers engine suffered more than its transmission.

Ressurecting a year old post to combat this grievous misinformation. Straight cut gears are the strongest (and noisiest) gear type, which is why every race gearbox you'll find have them.
As penance for this derail I offer this video of a toyota hybrid LMP1 starting up. You'll hear the whining of the gearbox before the combustion engine starts (This is also why cars whine in reverse, reverse gear is straight cut)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqlDPAoY8PM

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Xakura posted:

Ressurecting a year old post to combat this grievous misinformation. Straight cut gears are the strongest (and noisiest) gear type, which is why every race gearbox you'll find have them.
As penance for this derail I offer this video of a toyota hybrid LMP1 starting up. You'll hear the whining of the gearbox before the combustion engine starts (This is also why cars whine in reverse, reverse gear is straight cut)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqlDPAoY8PM

To correct myself: The issue was with the friction material on the clutches.

But its worth noting the massive weight difference between a race car and a tank, and straight cut gears, great for racing, do have a limit, and shoving around a 20-40 ton vehicle in the mud often exceeds that limit. A race car should have little in the way of dead weight to move other than its own powertrain and the driver.

Straight cut gears are not exactly stronger, in fact helical gears better spread the load over a larger surface. Straight cut gears transfer power more efficiently and suffer less from thrust issues, a keen advantage for a race car.

Hi, I build cars.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 4, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/engineeringvids...ingawful.com%2F

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1257786917552377856?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Steezo posted:

Yes but I believe the Navy calls it a mess hall. Social distancing is in effect though so if you're planning targets for IDF I just ask that you hit my CLU while I'm in it.

Its nearly been a decade since I was there. What the hell is the multivision?