Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I mean the game already had an Ian Smith quote, so they had to show up somewhere. For extra class, remember that the tech also obsoletes Great Zimbabwe.

It is a testament to the character of the game's content that i'm not mentioning a ton of awful things in the main update (for instance, Management in the techs not mentioned section came with a Racial Profiling building that grants a slight decrease in crime for a big unhappiness penalty), and what manages to get through because it's tied with the significant stuff is still really awful.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Jesus Christ!

The early stuff about alpha males and females and 'omega child crew' was eye-rolling but having those specific wonders and mechanics in the game is too much.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 22, 2020

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

HannibalBarca posted:

....does Imperialism allow Rhodesian culture? FFS.
av and post combo is :discourse:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Secured Borders disabling Ellis Island is really funny to me. I mean it's kind of technically sort of true...

Anzrel
Dec 15, 2010
...I'm starting to feel like the fact that my games always peter out by the rennaissance has been to my benefit.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm glad the Great Mongol Nation, devoted servants of the Great Sun and masters of the sky and sea, are only briefly considering some of these bad ideas before discarding them as bad ideas.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Fun fact!

The Atomic Era is the halfway point of the game! In truth the technological 50% mark is slightly closer to the beginning of the spectrum rather than the end, but because a lot of those are due to religious techs which we'll never research it's not so much more than you think. More like 45% of the way through the era rather than exactly halfway through.

Yes, this means we're not even halfway done yet. And this is the longest of all the eras, albeit by a slight margin over the Prehistoric.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 23, 2020

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Lol I forgot the game's take on socialized welfare

Well that's a lot of money to pay for little gain, surely the welfare fraud crime won't be that bad in comparison

For those of you playing at home -5% wealth for a crime that appears at above +260 is unusually bad compared to literally any of the crimes. The civic, the welfare office, and a mild crime rate costs your city a combined -19% of its wealth per turn which makes marxism look tame in comparison

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 23, 2020

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The speed at which you're going through this game is pretty insane. :stonk: Kudos to you.

To be honest, I definitely wasn't aware of some of the more questionable stuff in the later eras (some of it but not all). I understand the sentiment of those making a kitchen sink mod of this insane nature to include literally everything in history, both triumphant and terrible, and maybe I'm more naive than most in believing that most of the people putting in these events and buildings aren't doing so from malicious intent. On the other hand, there's a difference between simply including unsavory parts of history as part and parcel of a kitchen sink mod and actively perpetuating harmful stereotypes or bringing to the forefront of the mind events that had and still have grave and tremendous consequences towards entire groups of people even down to recent history (and Civ itself certainly isn't clean of this either. Mao and Stalin even being in Civ 4 is a testament to that). Part of it I suppose is the nature of the game being modded: you want to include all this stuff but you also have to incentivize their use just as a matter of basic game design, otherwise why even include it? But even still, some of the stuff included and written about in the Civlopedia is downright unnecessary. There's a reason I highlighted the whole Gypsy/Romani thing in my playthrough, it's cause the stereotypes and discrimination used to vilify and in many cases completely stamp out the Romani from various parts of Europe had a profound effect on those people that continue down to this day. Including them in the game isn't a problem, even maybe acknowledging in some way the strife that their presence caused in several European communities because of their nomadic lifestyles could be fine too. Having their UU literally be a Criminal unit called the "Beggar" is a step too far though. Maybe the devs would scoff at all this wondering why we're all making such a big deal about stuff that happened in history, and ultimately it's their mod and they can do whatever they want with it, but is this honestly such an unreasonable take? Maybe it ultimately doesn't matter since I still played (and enjoyed) this mod despite all this, so maybe I'm part of the problem :v:

Anyway enough soapboxing. Jossar, you mind if I catalog your posts in my Table of Contents post so people can more easily reach them? I'd love to see you go the distance in this playthrough despite how much drudgery the middle eras are looking to be, lord knows with how detailed and exacting my preferred LP style is how long it'll take me to get to Space shenanigans even assuming a proper update schedule.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I'd love it if this was all formally organized at the beginning of the thread.

(Also i'm going through it all so fast because I don't really have anything else to do given the current climate, and the way I react to that is hyperfixation. I really should start trying to look for a job again but it's definitely a bad market.)

My enjoyment of the game takes the form of loving anything that goes through the entirety of the scope of human history, and the games that do that to the extent that this one does are rare and typically as much of a tedious slog (they're usually clicker games). So in that respect, at least, I forgive it much, and even applaud the years of effort that went into making this all work. But at the end of the day I will respectfully disagree about charitableness to the devs in terms of treatment of the subject matter: after everything I have seen i've kind of come to think of C2C as a horrible dumpster fire at this point (much like the ones soon to be burning in our cities, though less ideological) and i'm trying to get what I can out of it what I can in spite of that.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 23, 2020

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

It'll probably get better once you reach space and beyond, the units, techs, and civics are speculative at that point so there can't be nearly as many offensive things as when the game is centered around earth and its history.

Whether or not the game mechanics improve though is another question entirely.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

The game mechanics will get slightly more responsive again (beyond sending out corporate conversions) near the end of the Atomic Era and increase in interaction until roughly their final form sometime in Nanotech (two eras after this one). That's about as far as I made it last time before I went "It's just gonna be this but in larger stages for the rest of the game?" and stopped. Maybe I underestimated how different later stages would get? I've certainly been wrong about how game mechanics actually operate before. In either case i'm fairly certain that having made it that far, with the incentive of performing for an audience I can make it to the end eventually.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 23, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

overmind2000 posted:

It'll probably get better once you reach space and beyond, the units, techs, and civics are speculative at that point so there can't be nearly as many offensive things as when the game is centered around earth and its history.

Whether or not the game mechanics improve though is another question entirely.

One would hope but chuds can be futurists and their ideas are replicated there too

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A world wonder that is entirely about parachuting harry potter fanfic on impoverished nations to enlighten the savage population.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Please show the scientology religion's stats when you get to it, I want to see if the mid/late-game religious options stack up.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Grapplejack posted:

Please show the scientology religion's stats when you get to it, I want to see if the mid/late-game religious options stack up.

Y'know what, it shows up some time in the middle of the era and I have no intention of getting it myself. Let's show them off now.

Jossar's Playthrough - Gimme That New Time Religion, Religions of the Renaissance through Atomic Era

I really don't like writing posts with this level of nitty gritty detail, so if you want to see Classical and Medieval that's gonna be SJM or one of you diving in and looking.

Renaissance Era

Sikhism

Description: Sikh is a combination generalist/militarist religion. There isn't a lot here to go over, but what little's here will serve you well until Gunpowder units stop being relevant.

Sikh Gurdwara: +1 Happiness, +1 Health, +2 Culture, +1 Happiness if Sikhism is your State Religion, +3 Learning, +1 Health with Church civic, New Archers/Melee/Gunpowder Units get +1 XP., Trains Missionaries, Turns 1 Citizen into Priest
Sikh Cathedral: +1 Happiness, +15% Culture, +2 Happiness if Sikhism is your State Religion, +4 Learning, +1 Happiness from Incense, New Archers/Melee/Gunpowder Units get +1 XP, Turns 2 Citizens into Priests, needs City Council or equivalent

The Golden Temple: Holy Site, +4 Culture, +1 GPP (prophet), Turns 3 Citizens into Priest, +1 Gold per Sikh City

Industrial Era

Baha'i

Description: Baha'i is a late game science/learning religion. Gets sucker punched real bad by its monastery being obsoleted but still probably comparable/better than its competition.The Friendship wonder's kinda nice if you're under siege by the AI and need some breathing room. Y'know, on the off chance that you don't rule the map already by the Industrial Era.

Baha'i Temple: +1 Science, +1 Happiness, +1 Culture, +1 Learning, Turn 1 Citizen into Priest
Baha'i Monastery: +1 Science, + 2 Culture, +5% Science, Heals (People) 2%, +1 Health with Church civic, +2 learning, trains Missionaries. Many bonuses obsolete with Modern Physics
Baha'i Dar be-mehr: +3 Science, +15% Culture, +2 Happiness if State Religion, +1 Happiness with Incense, +4 Learning, needs City Council or equivalent

Shrine of Bab: Holy Site, +4 Culture, +1 GPP (prophet), +1 gold per Baha'i city, +1 Science per building in city, Turn 3 Citizens into Priest
Lotus Temple: World Wonder, +10 Culture, +2 GPP (prophet), +2 Happiness if Bahai is state religion, +1 Free Priest, +10 Tourism, Changes Leaders with Furious and Annoyed Attitude to Cautious Attitude

Mormonism

Description: No, they don't take away Coffee and other drugs any more. Has a National Wonder instead of a World Wonder and their more powerful buildings can work in smaller cities. Starts weaker but benefits from its building bonuses not going obsolete like many of the Monastery ones do around Modern Physics. Might still not be worth it. Also does the Corporation thing where your Missionaries are trained in a central headquarters rather than locally distributed monasteries.

LDS Temple: +1 Happiness, +12% Culture, +2 Happiness if Mormonism is state religion, +4 Learning, Turns 2 Citizens into Priest
LDS Meetinghouse: +2 Culture, +2 Happiness if Mormonism is State Religion, Turns 1 Citizen into Priest, +1 Learning

Mormon Shrine: Holy Site, +4 Culture, +1 GPP (prophet), +2 wealth per Mormon city, +1 science per Mormon city, Turns 3 Citizens into Priest
LDS Missionary Training Centre: National Wonder, +2 Culture, +5% Science, +1 Health with Church civic, Trains Missionaries, +2 Learning

Atomic Era

Cao Dai

Description: Cao Dai is super boring. Their description is more interesting than their game functionality. I guess their Holy City's really good?

Cao Dai Temple: +1 Happiness, +1 Culture, +1 Happiness if Cao Dai is State Religion
Cao Dai Monastery: +2 Culture, +5% Science, +1 Health with Church Civic. Trains Missionaries, Many bonuses obsolete with Modern Physics
Cao Dai Cathedral: +1 Happiness, +2 Happiness if Cao Dai is State Religion, +15% Culture, +1 Happiness with Incense, Turns 2 Citizens into Priest

Great Temple Tay Ninh: Holy Site, +1 GPP (prophet), +1 wealth/+3 Culture per city with Cao Dai, +1 Health in all cities on Continent, Turns 3 Citizens into Priest

Scientology

Description: Do you feel like your already Scrooge McDuck-esque vault of 15 million gold isn't large enough? Then do I have the religion for you, at least according to the devs. Scientology is all about the money, to the point where unlike all the others which have passively really good cultural generation, Scientology's is kinda mediocre. I have no idea what compels you to get this from a gameplay perspective apart from if you're playing Secularists and some Free Church variants and just want another religion to add onto the pile.

Scientology Temple: +1 Wealth, +2% Wealth, +1 Learning, +1 Happiness if Scientology is State Religion, Turns 1 Citizen into Priest
Scientology Monastery: +2 Wealth, +5% Wealth, +1 Health with Church civic, +2 Learning, Trains Missionaries
Scientology Cathedral: +1 Happiness, +3 Wealth, +1 Culture, +5% Wealth, +4 Learning, Turns 2 Citizens into Priests,+2 Happiness if Scientology is State Religion, needs City Council or equivalent

Scientology Sede: Holy Site, +4 Wealth, +2 Culture, +2 Wealth per city with Scientology

Jossar fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 23, 2020

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I am kinda surprised that all religions seem to have only positive effects in this mod. Developers totally missed chance to make more depraved hot takes there.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Banemaster posted:

I am kinda surprised that all religions seem to have only positive effects in this mod. Developers totally missed chance to make more depraved hot takes there.

I get the feeling we shouldn't look at Islam

VulpesInculta
Jul 11, 2012
Islam is fine. Honestly the religions are all pretty inoffensive, though some are better developed than others.

What is ludicrous though is that despite this being a kitchen sink mod, Eastern Orthodoxy and the Reformation/Protestantism isn't represented anywhere, but Mormonism is for reasons?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

VulpesInculta posted:

Islam is fine. Honestly the religions are all pretty inoffensive, though some are better developed than others.

What is ludicrous though is that despite this being a kitchen sink mod, Eastern Orthodoxy and the Reformation/Protestantism isn't represented anywhere, but Mormonism is for reasons?

Mormonism has even less of a reason to be there after they took out the mechanic of it taking away your alcohol, tobacco, coffee, and tea resources. Islam used to take away pigs and alcohol but at least it has multiple wonders to make up for that.

Lol at Scientology's buildings having generic religion names when those are clearly pictures of the Celebrity Center, Flag Land Base, and other important Scientology places.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Jossar’s Playthrough – Atomic 1/Dieselpunk

We hit the Atomic Era.

I pick up Industrialism. In addition to all the various new metals and ores unlocked and actual turn of the century level battleship technology, we gain the ability to burn our garbage and use it to power our factories.

Industrialism also unlocks several new Corporations and I send down this Great Merchant to create Fashion House. It’s basically an engine for converting wealth into culture, although it recoups some of that loss later via designer clothing stores.

Flight marks the beginning of a series of techs which are the assertion of proper history to do things that we already gained the ability to do through alt-timeline techs. Planes, tanks, zeppelins, submarines, etc. Flight is also special because it gives us the ability to airlift units from one city to another once a turn.

Oh here’s a new one, the ability to build carriers. Up until this point “proper” planes have been limited to cities and are of limited use when going out to fight. Now you can build carriers which hold planes and be transported to the fight.

Only to immediately be overshadowed by our researching of the next punk tech.

Observe the beginnings of the dirigible economy…

And every crackpot weapon design from the early part of the century somehow made functional.

Including of course, this Zeppelin that carries planes. I did say that the last tech was immediately overshadowed, right?

Aviation brings with it more advanced fighters and bombers, and for the first time a unit to counter them from the ground.

Rocketry brings with it the first missile units (including... a PLO fighter for some reason?) , and more importantly for our purposes, a really good science based corporation. I’ll be sure to spread this one ASAP.

It is at this point that I realize that i've managed to skip over the entirety of the Western portrait-based art canon from the Renaissance onwards. Whoops. It just wasn't really needed until now with all our culture generation, y'know? And you used to be able to go all the way to the Information Era without it, so I guess it’s good it’s only in the Atomic that we have to catch up and have next episode be the Art History one, right?

(Techs not mentioned: Advanced Metallurgy, Armored Vehicles, Submarine Warfare, Trench Warfare, Automatic Weapons, Zeppelins)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 23, 2020

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hell yeah we crimson skies now

the PLO fighter is, I assume, due to their heavy usage of rockets and mortars when it comes to actions against Israel, but it is also very dumb and nonsensical. so it's a perfect fit for this mod

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Why can Alumium Co HQ only go on an earth plot? I demand interstellar corporations!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I actually forget if you can spread religions/corporations to space. It wouldn't do you a whole lot of good because once you get off Earth cities have different building trees, but it would be kind of funny to put Andeanism on the sun.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 24, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

we need to go back and pick up motorsports and anime our society cannot survive without them

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Once the Author is gone, the claim to decipher a text becomes quite useless.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Seraphic Neoman posted:

we need to go back and pick up motorsports and anime our society cannot survive without them

Agreed. A society without Initial D is unconscionable.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Well that was a series of wholly unnecessary techs and associated buildings.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
"Glory to the USSR!" -russian propaganda

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

One of those quote had an amazing author though.

Well, she was definitely competent.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

HannibalBarca posted:

Lmao

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

kw0134 posted:

Well that was a series of wholly unnecessary techs and associated buildings.

I was kind of conflicted on how to do this one: I was half tempted to just swap out the associated tech screens with actual period appropriate paintings and just discuss art history for a bit. I was tempted to actually remove everyone's names from the quotes to further illustrate and bring attention to the point that so much of our attention is focused on those, but the Nazi filmmaker one made it kind of awkward. So turning this whole thing into even more of an "art piece" was out. I could've just left the techs out altogether but there's like 10 useless techs in there before even getting to other ones that would come up in the normal course of play (sports is going to have this problem too, but there's less of them so I feel less bad about it). Plus, y'know, the bit where we discovered the Moon.

I am content with what my official filing system will record this as, or namely won't. An optional update and future art stuff will have to stand on its own merits or get thrown in the pile like everything else.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 24, 2020

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

quote:

is that the moon

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Jossar posted:

I was kind of conflicted on how to do this one: I was half tempted to just swap out the associated tech screens with actual period appropriate paintings and just discuss art history for a bit. I was tempted to actually remove everyone's names from the quotes to further illustrate and bring attention to the point that so much of our attention is focused on those, but the Nazi filmmaker one made it kind of awkward. So turning this whole thing into even more of an "art piece" was out. I could've just left the techs out altogether but there's like 10 useless techs in there before even getting to other ones that would come up in the normal course of play (sports is going to have this problem too, but there's less of them so I feel less bad about it). Plus, y'know, the bit where we discovered the Moon.

I am content with what my official filing system will record this as, or namely won't. An optional update and future art stuff will have to stand on its own merits or get thrown in the pile like everything else.
Don't take that as criticism of you, I'm glad you showed us this because it's a completely inane thing to include in a game (it's in the thread title after all :v:). It's an absolutely ridiculous thing to have to slog through.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

HannibalBarca posted:

In game it's actually kind of funny because the Russian national anthem starts blaring in place of a voice clip.

President Ark posted:

is that the moon

Yes.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 24, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ghenghis Khan is so good his territory now covers a bit of the moon.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jossar posted:

In game it's actually kind of funny because the Russian national anthem starts blaring in place of a voice clip.

lol that owns

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 23, 2021

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
I just caught up on the thread, and I saw theres a Haitian culture. Mind sharing what they get, because Im Haitian? While I kinda dread what theyll put in the worst I can think of that random white people would know would either be something about Papa Doc or the boat peoplr we had in the ninties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Communist Zombie posted:

I just caught up on the thread, and I saw theres a Haitian culture. Mind sharing what they get, because Im Haitian? While I kinda dread what theyll put in the worst I can think of that random white people would know would either be something about Papa Doc or the boat peoplr we had in the ninties.

The notable thing about Haitian culture in C2C is that it's incredibly difficult to get compared with most of the others with it requiring a city to have the North American, African, and European culture groups. Strangely they're one of the only cultures in the game that doesn't have a unique leader which is kind of dumb because if they're gonna use Haitian rebels as the unique unit the obvious next step would be to give them Toussaint Louverture.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 24, 2020