Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

whoa that's p. unexpected..?

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/21/wuhan-doctors-wake-fighting-virus-find-skin-changed-colour-12586039/

seriously looks like the worst bootpolish job you'd get from an 80s comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that certainly appears to be a trustworthy high quality news source you're linking there. in other headline news there's apparently a cat that has stolen 50 pairs of gloves.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

that certainly appears to be a trustworthy high quality news source you're linking there. in other headline news there's apparently a cat that has stolen 50 pairs of gloves.

Mittens wages a never ending war against defined fingers

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it’s probably 2-3 similar-looking cats tbqh

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Unironically want to buy clear communication skills from loving adults in tyool 2020. Tia

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

c wfh s: outside because it is super nice

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
its 38 and going to snow again, it snowed three times last week.

and this city is buying so much take-home local beer that one of the larger micros just set up a paktech-only recycling drop. lol

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

graph posted:

its 38 and going to snow again, it snowed three times last week.

this is significantly pissing me off. like can it at least be pleasant out while we wait to die in our homes due to criminal government mismanagement

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it snowed a touch here too, but not enough to stick. tomorrow is supposed to be lovely out, so i'm going to go for a nice walk, probably early morning so there's less people

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

one of our sister campuses just announced that they're going to do the entire fall semester online. that means it's probably only a matter of time until we make the same decision.

gently caress :shepicide:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

one of our sister campuses just announced that they're going to do the entire fall semester online. that means it's probably only a matter of time until we make the same decision.

:cripes:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
ours announced a hybrid remote/in-person but that was last week so

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

you are probably about 800% more tuned in on how to operate formerly meatspace things online and i have confidence that your position will be secure and we will find out that this is, yes, less 'personal', but in many ways more effective than lecture halls

just think about how bad this would be if you were some 65 year old fucko prof that works via postal letters and office hours and typed memorandums

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
like it opens up the possibility of timeshifting, and for working students that would be an amazing development. Sure, it's less 'interactive', but how much of that is essential and how much of it can operate just fine with a 24 hour lag between questions and responses?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i mean, also, tenure

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i mean, also, tenure

it's also 2020 and rules mean nothing, i would not lean on tenure if i had it right now

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

it's also 2020 and rules mean nothing, i would not lean on tenure if i had it right now
to the extent you can lean on the modern structure of academia you can lean on tenure. but, yeah, when you say that aloud you have an excellent point

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Depending on how long this goes on, It'll be a weird transition for college/university prospective students who were hoping to get away from the parents and party it up and ok do some lectures as well when the whole social side of it (or at least actual IRL meatspace interactions) is going to be chopped off at the ankles.

Spring Break Zoom Parties just ain't going to be the same.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

you are probably about 800% more tuned in on how to operate formerly meatspace things online and i have confidence that your position will be secure and we will find out that this is, yes, less 'personal', but in many ways more effective than lecture halls

just think about how bad this would be if you were some 65 year old fucko prof that works via postal letters and office hours and typed memorandums

so far the parts that i like about online teaching are that i can draw directly on the students' screens to mark stuff up, and that the people who show up to class are more punctual.

other than that it blows. i don't teach 500-student lectures. shop classes cannot be done online to any realistic level and studio classes really suck without the in-person interaction. doing courses by correspondence isn't remotely (ha) a new idea, and there's a reason it hasn't replaced in-person teaching, despite the administrators' constant drooling over the student tuition : faculty pay ratio.

yes, it would be far worse if i weren't a dorky millennial who knows Computer Stuff. some of the older professors basically just went AWOL the moment online teaching was announced, "you can't make me teach like this" and then no contact in over a month, and we're all doing our best to help their students but in general they're hosed.

it would be nice if the online teaching thing let us trim some of the dead wood for dereliction of duty but lol:

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i mean, also, tenure

Jonny 290 posted:

tenure is completely sacred and if they start cutting jobs it will absolutely go in order of academic rank. i'm somewhere in the middle of the list so my job is almost certainly secure but so it is also for the crappiest of the crappy old farts.

right now they're predicting a 15% drop in student enrollment next semester and the realistic assessment is that that's optimistic. that translates directly into about 150-300 adjuncts getting canned unless the union manages to pull something off. rip

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

imagine going from staying inside with your parents for like 9 months to the first week back in the dorms. so many people gonna end up in the hospital.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

my cousin teaches directing and acting classes and its kind of hard to give feedback about emoting more or whatever the gently caress to a zoom window. focusing a lot more on monologues these days.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

power botton posted:

imagine going from staying inside with your parents for like 9 months to the first week back in the dorms. so many people gonna end up pregnant.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Sagebrush posted:

yes, it would be far worse if i weren't a dorky millennial who knows Computer Stuff. some of the older professors basically just went AWOL the moment online teaching was announced, "you can't make me teach like this" and then no contact in over a month, and we're all doing our best to help their students but in general they're hosed.

These people suck so hard and it's not just a university thing. Every job I've ever worked has these people. "I've been here for 30 years, any change to my routine will involve me either pitching a giant fit if it's a small change or literally ghosting if it's a major thing"

The record for me was the guy who was told to move into a new office space and proceeded to go awol for two months, then took all of his sick leave, then all of his annual leave, then finally his long service leave, resulting in two years away from the office. At which point he came back to tender his resignation.

he was told to move one building over lol

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

abigserve posted:

The record for me was the guy who was told to move into a new office space and proceeded to go awol for two months, then took all of his sick leave, then all of his annual leave, then finally his long service leave, resulting in two years away from the office. At which point he came back to tender his resignation.

uh this guy owns

mystes
May 31, 2006

abigserve posted:

These people suck so hard and it's not just a university thing. Every job I've ever worked has these people. "I've been here for 30 years, any change to my routine will involve me either pitching a giant fit if it's a small change or literally ghosting if it's a major thing"

I can't even begin to comprehend this but it would nice to have enough job security to be able to pull this poo poo

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

abigserve posted:

Living the dream.

Any time somebody goes away for 2 months for non-child-having reasons I just assume they’re gone.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

one of my last jobs there was this guy who would go out and party and just... not show up for weeks at a time. he was salaried but he didn't take leave or anything and they still paid him. he didn't even try to hide it; managers would call up and ask and he'd be honest that he'd been too busy with his social life to make it to work. i guess he was good at what he did because for whatever reason they let him keep doing this

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Broken Machine posted:

one of my last jobs there was this guy who would go out and party and just... not show up for weeks at a time. he was salaried but he didn't take leave or anything and they still paid him. he didn't even try to hide it; managers would call up and ask and he'd be honest that he'd been too busy with his social life to make it to work. i guess he was good at what he did because for whatever reason they let him keep doing this

we had someone who did this one time and got fired so fast

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i didn't go into the university for the whole summer when my dad died and a bunch of the faculty were surprised when i was still teaching next fall. i guess they figured i had just quit my job? why

meanwhile some of the old farts are literally gone, out of the country, completely out of contact, from may 15th to august 25th just because they can and everyone shrugs

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Broken Machine posted:

this describes at least half of the financial traders here

sorry I wasn’t at work I was on a coke bender in the Philippines for two weeks

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
in finance that’s called networking

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

the one take i will put Real Hard Wager Money on is that 99.5% of any "coronavirus baby boom" will be first children. I cant imagine anybody getting boners while theyre locked in their condo with a screaming 2 year old for the past 7 weeks

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Looking after toddlers is always exhausting but it's particularly rough not being able to take them to a playground and let them go ballistic/get all that energy out

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

the one take i will put Real Hard Wager Money on is that 99.5% of any "coronavirus baby boom" will be first children. I cant imagine anybody getting boners while theyre locked in their condo with a screaming 2 year old for the past 7 weeks

sex is a good distraction from babies

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

have you ever had sex echi

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I've met his kids so I'd say yeah probably

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Sagebrush posted:

right now they're predicting a 15% drop in student enrollment next semester and the realistic assessment is that that's optimistic. that translates directly into about 150-300 adjuncts getting canned unless the union manages to pull something off. rip

what happens to tenure if the institution goes bankrupt?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tenure doesn't actually mean there are situations in which you can't be fired; it just gives you the right to a hearing and rebuttal (which functionally takes the form of a court case) should you be dismissed. universities are loath to go through that process unless they're sure they will win, which reduces the causes for dismissal down to a few super blatant ones.

"you're fired because the university closed down" would not be a case anyone could realistically rebut. however, "we had to cut staff and we fired you before the more junior faculty" would definitely cause a stink so that won't happen.

in the case where the institution goes bankrupt, i'd imagine it would get rolled up and reopened under new management with the same people, and if they decide to cut costs they'd fire all the adjuncts before a single tenure-track professor. i can't think of many cases where a (real, accredited) university was just outright shut down and abandoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

for the record, i think the total list of valid causes is

- academic dishonesty like plagiarism or falsifying data
- breaking the law in an obvious way
- violation of ethical guidelines (sex with students) (maybe, if it was "consensual" you'll probably just get a mandatory sabbatical)
- just outright stop coming to class (though they would probably "put you on unpaid leave" forever)
- student enrollment decreased to the point where they can't meet your contract (all the more junior faculty would have to be fired first)
- department/college/university is disestablished (see above note, and they'd probably punt you to some other job if possible)