Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ozark season 3 was a good season. Season 2 didn't leave me with much of an impression, I kind of forgot the plot entirely, but season 3 kept my attention the whole way through. I hope they make season 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

loosenukes posted:

Plot against America - Finished it up last night, just a massive sense of dread throughout the whole show. I read about the differences in how the novel ended and the tv ending definitely seems more realistic, at least.

I was really into alternate history back when the novel came out, and I remember a lot of big alt-hist fans downplaying the novel because the way it "reset" at the end wasn't really realistic and offset the whole scenario. My take at least is that Plot Against America wasn't really a show about how a fascist coming to power would make things different for Jewish Americans in the 1940s, but how it wouldn't have changed things as much as people looking back from the 2000s might think.*

On the other hand, I think the TV version more directly (as in with a complete lack of any kind of subtlety) the only things comparable for minorities today is a fictional 1940s American dictatorship, which seems almost the opposite of the book in its liberal viewpoint of how everything was fine before 2016 and we just need to "go back to normal" without really thinking about the many ways the pre-Trump "normal" was deeply hosed up. Given David Simon's political views also he seems like a very "let's get back to the Obama golden age" mentality.

Though I also think it's notable that Roth, even though he's ostensibly narrating the novel from the viewpoint of the modern day, and the afterward of the book is set after FDR is re-elected and the US enters the war, doesn't (at least as far as I recall) ever bring up the Japanese internment camps, and how in this timeline the Japanese presumably were spared being put into concentration camps by the government that doubles down on persecuting other minorities.

I also still think it's really hosed up that Zoe Kazan of all people is in a show about how political repression is anti-American when the entire reason she has a career is because of her grandfather, whose actions she has refused to condemn when asked point-blank about what she thinks of him in connection with the themes of the show.

*The same year Plot Against America the book came out there was the alternate history mockumentary CSA, about the modern-day in a world where the Confederacy won the Civil War, and again its premise is that for blacks, if the Confederacy won, many of their lives wouldn't be as different from the reality in our world as people might think.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah a great actress shouldn’t get a good gig because of something her grandfather did. what??

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, something he did that destroyed other peoples' lives and which he always maintained he was right to do and which she directly materially benefited from and has refused to say was wrong even while getting a job on a project that is the sort of thing he would have destroyed people's lives over. And using this project to defend her grandfather, even.

On a related topic why are people so mean to Megan McCain or the Bush twins? I mean sure they got their positions in the media due to the influence of their powerful and terrible parents and grandparents and then use their positions in the media to whitewash them but I mean, it has no connection to them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Comparing this to the children of politicians, who are politicians or political commentators, is some truly galaxy-level thinking. Also, I couldn’t find anything anywhere of Kazan defending her grandfather.

Actually just finished the finale and aside from the bit where everything calms down because Lindbergh’s wife comes on the radio and tells them to I thought jr was great. I’m not sure where this “the writers think everything was great before 2016” logic is coming from, either, especially given the uncertain way the show ends, and of course the fact that much of David Simon’s previous work makes it abundantly clear he doesn’t believe that is the case.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Chairman Capone posted:

On a related topic why are people so mean to Megan McCain or the Bush twins? I mean sure they got their positions in the media due to the influence of their powerful and terrible parents and grandparents and then use their positions in the media to whitewash them but I mean, it has no connection to them.

There's a line in Parasite about how it's easy for rich people to be nice because the life of comfort and privelege they get from their wealth and position smooths out anything abrasive; they may be exploiting and abusing countless people, denying livelihoods to people more qualified and more in need than them, and espousing and participating in systems that create untold death and suffering but they can smile and be friendly and maintain :decorum: because they never need for anything or have to worry.

So if your approach to criticizing or defending Meghan McCain is whether or not people are mean to her you're not even operating on the same level as the people who are attacking her for being a terrible person who does terrible things all while tearfully declaring that she's the victim and people should be nice to her because her daddy was rich and famous.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I just watched most of Ballmastrz: 9009. Maybe the best Adult Swim animated show I've seen? I was a fan of SuperJail but this is so much better, both in the creativity of the animation and in having actual characters. It's a crime if it isn't renewed.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, something he did that destroyed other peoples' lives and which he always maintained he was right to do and which she directly materially benefited from and has refused to say was wrong even while getting a job on a project that is the sort of thing he would have destroyed people's lives over. And using this project to defend her grandfather, even.

Turns out when you spout a ton of hateful poo poo, people are gonna hate right back.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

Whenever I watch SVU I'm like "man, people sure get raped a lot on this rape cops show". I miss regular Law and Order. :(

I’m signing up for Peacock when that drops for two reasons. Law and Order, and Law and Order Criminal Intent. I miss being able to toss that on for background noise.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My background noise is RiffTrax or Mst3k on Pluto.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GreenNight posted:

My background noise is RiffTrax or Mst3k on Pluto.

Yeah, but those don’t have Lenny Briscoe being awesome or D’onofrio freaking the gently caress out.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m signing up for Peacock when that drops for two reasons. Law and Order, and Law and Order Criminal Intent. I miss being able to toss that on for background noise.

I used to have Law and Order SVU on as background when it (it probably still does) aired like all day on USA or TNT. It was always jarring in exactly two places, within the first ten minutes and then again with like 15 minutes left in the episode. Other than that it always faded into the background as far as cop talk and such. But yeah, every once in a while you would hear something too hosed up for your brain to gloss over.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I Am Not Okay With This was extremely good poo poo

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

swickles posted:

I used to have Law and Order SVU on as background when it (it probably still does) aired like all day on USA or TNT. It was always jarring in exactly two places, within the first ten minutes and then again with like 15 minutes left in the episode. Other than that it always faded into the background as far as cop talk and such. But yeah, every once in a while you would hear something too hosed up for your brain to gloss over.

I’ve been doing that the last few days and for sure, sometimes you’ll hear something that’s just too much. I forgot how good it could be when it was hitting, though. Had the episode where Kyle MacLachlan plays the guy who’s son gets killed by a psycho ten year old on before and I actually sat down and paid attention to the whole thing.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I keep all of Law & Order on random rotation in the background quite often. SVU is the worst. Stabler sucks. Munch is good though.

My favorite is when an episode of Trial by Jury sneaks on and Lilith is on. That’s always a treat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If they actually have all of vanilla L&O I might actually have to sign up for Peacock because I used to love that show.

Also, apparently IMDB TV is a thing because they've ordered a 13 episode revival of the TNT series Leverage with most of the original cast returning (although Aldis Hodge is only going to be recurring as his Showtime series is set to film at the same time.) Timothy Hutton is out and Noah Wyle is in.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

Also, apparently IMDB TV is a thing because they've ordered a 13 episode revival of the TNT series Leverage with most of the original cast returning (although Aldis Hodge is only going to be recurring as his Showtime series is set to film at the same time.) Timothy Hutton is out and Noah Wyle is in.

IMDB TV has the most I’ll timed ads imaginable, but otherwise has some quality content for free.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

muscles like this! posted:

They're doing what now? SCHWING!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

It's even better on rewatch as it is so short and dense.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mu Zeta posted:

They should make fun of the rich people flying to their private islands first class everywhere and spreading it in the first place and asking the government for a bailout

ftfy

Alhazred posted:

Back when Cypress Hill was considered edgy.

:member: Kingpin? :jiggled:

Inspector 34 posted:

Syfy has been marathoning BSG since last night, Pegasus pt2 is on now and the Adama maneuver is around 1ph PST tomorrow. I've never really gotten through a full rewatch of the series but it's kind of nice catching up at a few points throughout the day.

That show is a wonderful rewatch (and still a wet fart ending) and has some of the best tv ~moments~: it really helped shape the :airquote: Golden Age of Television. :airquote:

The Adama Maneuver was a wonderful to experience at the end of appointment TV, along with some other great moments: "JUMP!" :psylon:

Chairman Capone posted:

Do you listen to the Battlestar Galacticast? It's an interesting way to catch up on the series weekly, episode by episode, with some behind the scenes bits from the actors, writers, and directors they have on.

A lot of people forget how RDM really helped cement podcasts as bog-standard for commentaries by doing his every single week and uploading it with the new episode.

Sleeveless posted:

There's a line in Parasite about how it's easy for rich people to be nice because the life of comfort and privelege they get from their wealth and position smooths out anything abrasive; they may be exploiting and abusing countless people, denying livelihoods to people more qualified and more in need than them, and espousing and participating in systems that create untold death and suffering but they can smile and be friendly and maintain :decorum: because they never need for anything or have to worry.

So if your approach to criticizing or defending Meghan McCain is whether or not people are mean to her you're not even operating on the same level as the people who are attacking her for being a terrible person who does terrible things all while tearfully declaring that she's the victim and people should be nice to her because her daddy was rich and famous.

:golfclap:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OldSenileGuy posted:

In order:

Killjoys - Never heard of this show so I looked it up and it sounds like the most generic thing ever. Though, if people say it’s good maybe I’ll give it a shot.

Killjoys is merely okay for the first season, but worth sticking with, and gets a very noticeable shift in tone for the second onwards, which is where it gets really good.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Killjoys is merely okay for the first season, but worth sticking with, and gets a very noticeable shift in tone for the second onwards, which is where it gets really good.

I prefer Dark Matter to Killjoys, which also answers the question: What if Firefly but Three Seasons?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I prefer Dark Matter to Killjoys, which also answers the question: What if Firefly but Three Seasons?

Dark Matter had a decent first season, and a really strong second season where they learned what did and didn't work from the first season and applied it well. eg; Putting a bullet in One because he did nothing in the show except tell everyone else to stop having fun, and changing Three from "Chronic Backstabber Loner" to "The Fun Single Uncle" . The third season sadly completely poo poo the bed and made their cancelling fully-justified. Even if it does have one of the best episodes of the show's run. The time travel one, of course.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Dark Matter had that Canadian TV problem of not having a strong/interesting black male character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaunab posted:

Dark Matter had that Canadian TV problem of not having a strong/interesting black male character.

Did you just talk poo poo about Roger Cross?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Yeah. Well his character at least.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Speaking of Law and Order

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1253352726660091904

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MiddleOne posted:

It's even better on rewatch as it is so short and dense.

Yeah it did a lot to further the argument for more short shows

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsDLkDmzhJQ

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

:drat: That’s spot on and I’m stealing it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gaunab posted:

Yeah. Well his character at least.

Unacceptable. Roger Cross makes the character good just by showing up on screen.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Hank Azaria is hilarious. He routinely does enitre three hours radio shows in character with Dan Lebatard on ESPN. He even has a full on feud with Joe Buck.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1253458630109790208

Uh, alright

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:cripes:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wonder if leslie is still hot for biden

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I'm glad some people have been catching up with it. I did enjoy it but was also a bit frustrated by the fact that the 6(?) episodes of the first season basically amounted to what should have been a Pilot. The show seemed like a perfect example of the argument movie nerds make about how prestige/peak TV is terrible because it's full of such inefficient/bad storytellers.

bull3964 posted:

Finally watching Perpetual Grace LTD since I currently have Epix free. Yeah, this does feel a lot like Patriot. To bad this got cancelled too.

I was unaware that this didn't get renewed and you made me sad. But I googled it and it appears there is a silver lining. https://deadline.com/2020/01/perpetual-grace-ltd-canceled-wrap-limited-run-conclusion-no-second-season-epix-1202846757/

I wish Patriot and this could find a new home but alas. My hopes now rest in a network pulling their thumb out and picking up the amazing Wayne

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looten Plunder posted:

I was unaware that this didn't get renewed and you made me sad. But I googled it and it appears there is a silver lining. https://deadline.com/2020/01/perpetual-grace-ltd-canceled-wrap-limited-run-conclusion-no-second-season-epix-1202846757/

I wish Patriot and this could find a new home but alas. My hopes now rest in a network pulling their thumb out and picking up the amazing Wayne

https://twitter.com/StevConrad/status/1223121931764785152?s=19

https://twitter.com/StevConrad/status/1223136000999903232?s=19

So... yeah.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

And now I'm sad again.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mu Zeta posted:

I wonder if leslie is still hot for biden

Shouldn’t she or Ben be President right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So I don't know if I'm the only one, because my best mate thinks I'm crazy, but the finale of Better Call Saul was bad and just pissed me off.

The show itself explicitly said "The guys I've hired are the best. But the one thing they don't have is an inside man". So Gus has hired a crack team of soldiers and has now arranged for them to practically walk through the front door and their resolution to all this is to make them a pack of bumbling incompetent idiots.

You had one guy empty an entire loving clip into a room that didn't even contain his target (seriously, what was he even shooting at?) and then later, a gun goes off, and the guys in the tunnel radio into their lone teammate and ask "what was that gunfire? Was it him?" to which they get ZERO response and their thought is "it must have been nothing, let's just ignore it and continue blindly going down this tunnel that we don't know where it leads." And then (I know I'm starting to sound like one of those painful tactical realism guys) Lero proceeds to blindly shoot the two guys with an Assault Rifle from at least 50 yards one-handed with his wrist at 90 degrees.

And how did all of his guards get shot? Who shot the little old lady? When did all that happen?

C'mon, hire more guys, or I dunno, just slip Nacho a pistol under the gate and just tell him to do it himself. Not to mention, where is Nacho expected to run, back to New Mexico?

Seriously? Why write yourselves into that position if that's the going to be how you write your way out of it? It just reeks of laziness and is just so amateurish. I expect better from this team.