Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

How to recommend media(books, film, TV series):
Do you have any genre or theme you really like? Then you might like these.

How to recommend nerd media(anime,games, superhero stuff, podcasts):
gently caress your interests, here's my big rear end list of favourites they only have an average runtime of 60 hours, so you just have to watch them immediately so I can nerd out about them to you when next we meet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah exactly, so go watch legend of the galactic heroes already

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Second one sounds a lot more compelling.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

cromartie high school

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
More things would be improved with Freddie

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Captain Invictus posted:

Sorry my backlog is already full, I'm rewatching series I downloaded almost 2 decades ago and logh wasn't one of them.

Honestly rewatching old series after so long have been pretty interesting since I have a very different perspective on some characters, some I remember hating are now my favourites. Unfortunately there are some issues like the occasional really lovely homophobia that I didn't catch when I was young.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Captain Invictus posted:

LoGH is my favorite sci-fi series ever but it's a big ask trying to get people to commit to 110 episodes, excluding the few spin-off prequel OVAs. I've been trying to get my best friend to watch it for drat near a decade to no avail.

fake edit: The only #YangGang I acknowledge is Yang Wen-li's.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's kinda the problem of recommending costume/historical dramas because they're all long as gently caress, and that's the genre LotGH fits into. Three Kingdoms is a similarly hard sell at 95 episodes, and each episode is also 45 minutes long. Even Band of Brothers is 15 hours in total.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Band of Brothers actually that long? Or are you counting documentary footage alongside the miniseries episodes?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Eureka Seven also had a really good dub.

https://youtu.be/9nRolpUL3g8

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Dias posted:

No one is doing that, you had a poo poo-stirrer doing the poo poo-stirring thing (and getting banned from the thread, fuckin' finally, for that) and a very reductive, also probably poo poo-stirring considering their historic, "lol anime is all trashy pervy MAN stuff".

Yeah every form of media has its problems with their portrayal of women but you can't seriously and genuinely believe that anime or manga doesn't have its own issues.

Perhaps it is too reductive, but there is something slightly dissonant about anime involving sexualized characters who are ostensibly teenagers.

Man, I love Sailor Moon, I love Samurai Champloo, Great Teacher Onizuka, even now as an adult but I'm not going to sit here and pretend there isn't issues with them or ignore that the medium In general terms has issues

I don't know how seperable the audience, fan community etc, is from the makers but drat if there isn't at least some sort of knowing on the part of the creator's when it comes to what is popular and desired.

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 23, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is Band of Brothers actually that long? Or are you counting documentary footage alongside the miniseries episodes?
no it's only 3 return of the kings.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Band of Brothers is ten 1-hour episodes which is pretty short for any drama, historical or otherwise.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ash Crimson posted:

Yeah every form of media has its problems with their portrayal of women but you can't seriously and genuinely believe that anime or manga doesn't have its own issues.

Perhaps it is too reductive, but there is something slightly dissonant about anime involving sexualized characters who are ostensibly teenagers.

Man, I love Sailor Moon, I love Samurai Champloo, Great Teacher Onizuka, even now as an adult but I'm not going to sit here and pretend there isn't issues with them or ignore that the medium In general terms has issues

I don't know how seperable the audience, fan community etc, is from the makers but drat if there isn't at least some sort of knowing on the part of the creator's when it comes to what is popular and desired.
mmm I do think I smell yet another terrible sexualization in anime derail a-brewin'

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Arcsquad12 posted:

Think its closer to 10 and a half hours show-wise.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
In the hope of pulling this thread up from diving in the ages old dumb derail, here's a week old Wha Happun that centers around the Cooking Mama Cookstar clusterfuck that was/is happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daFilXCAsms

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I really dislike the Wha Happuns on recent stuff. Like I know they're probably good for hits but doing them before all thd info is out let alone while legal poo poo is initiating tends to lead to very boring episodes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A Sometimes Food posted:

I really dislike the Wha Happuns on recent stuff. Like I know they're probably good for hits but doing them before all thd info is out let alone while legal poo poo is initiating tends to lead to very boring episodes.

Loading Ready Run's Checkpoint series is pretty good for a weekly snapshot on gaming news.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hel posted:

How to recommend media(books, film, TV series):
Do you have any genre or theme you really like? Then you might like these.

How to recommend nerd media(anime,games, superhero stuff, podcasts):
gently caress your interests, here's my big rear end list of favourites they only have an average runtime of 60 hours, so you just have to watch them immediately so I can nerd out about them to you when next we meet.

wrt anime I've noticed this being a problem so often that I almost always stick to recommending short series or movies unless I know that they specifically want something long they can sink their teeth into, just because I know how easy it is for folks to recommend a laundry list of stuff and overwhelm the person asking for recs.

With movies in particular it's a good time since there is a short list of movies commonly recommended (which admittedly they're on that list for a reason) so it's pretty easy to go outside of those boundaries. Not to mention how much more manageable a list of movies is over a list of tv shows.

A Sometimes Food posted:

In a recent ep of the podcast Blank Check they brought up how glad they were that they didn't do an episode on Cats when it was still fresh in everyone's minds because behind the scenes stories just keep coming out. Those kind of trainwrecks are def way more interesting to hear about once the dust is all settled and you can form a complete narrative around the mess.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

poparena posted:

Here's a pretty good video from Tyranno on Designated Survivor, a show I had no interest in watching that turned out lot more interesting than I'd have guessed.

this was really good! never heard of this guy but this was a very good first impression

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sENM2wA_FTg

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Sibyl Disobedience posted:

A while back, I promised the thread I was making something about Dark Souls. Well, it's not done, but I'm near an epicenter and not feeling great. Maybe this is premature, but I'm worried I'll wake up and forget everything.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/199k-7ckI_rfAKdi63Wvjqziop17becdlwiHNGb66kkk/edit?usp=sharing

Hopefully someone out there enjoys this.

I missed this, over a loving month ago, but hopefully you'll see this: thank you for writing and posting that!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A Sometimes Food posted:

I think even Matt regretted the one on Fallout 76 since he just knew there was going to be more to the story, at the very least more blunders.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

If you liked Tatami Galaxy you’ll loving love The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl, as its the same director doing a story by the same author about largely the same characters in a slightly different setting

Really, if you haven’t followed up on him outside of those two works I highly recommend watching basically everything else Masaaki Yuasa has done, Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! Is a series he just finished a season in about three high school students trying to start an animation club and it is absolutely, breathtakingly fantastic

I recently watched everything that Yuasa has made and I really concur that almost all of it is stellar. Mind game is a little goofy and “gaspar noe” edgy but made up for it with extremely inventive animation. Does anybody know of anything written or filmed that goes into the themes that connect his films? After watching all of them there’s a lot of culture specific stuff that id like to know more about.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LoGH is well made and important but I’d caution against trying to watch it unless you already know you really like space opera and don’t need a lot of modern flash.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

LoGH is well made and important but I’d caution against trying to watch it unless you already know you really like space opera and don’t need a lot of modern flash.

The remake has a reasonable degree of modern flash. It's not a super-exquisite work of artistic genius, but it'll get you your big shiny sci-fi fleet battle fix.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

The remake has a reasonable degree of modern flash. It's not a super-exquisite work of artistic genius, but it'll get you your big shiny sci-fi fleet battle fix.

It also has a great English dub. Just be aware it's only about a fifth of the way through at 24 episodes.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Yardbomb posted:

I've been a fan of DB/DBZ for more of my life than not by this point I'm pretty sure and yeah, I've just never even began to be able to make do with grandma Goku, the VA is a cool lady, I've tried, but I cannot take it.

I fluctuate a lot between Grandma Goku and Sean; I think she hits the comedy bits better, but Sean is better for the serious stuff.

Rest of the characters, I'm less divided: Vegeta, Gohan, and Piccolo are better in English, Frieza, Krillin, Bulma are better in Japanese, Cell is perfect either way.

Ash Crimson posted:

Woof, the comedy bits in GTO have not aged well. I still think it has a lot to say about the roles that teachers and schools have and what kind of effect that they have on students, but I can't watch Onizuka interact with his female students without getting creeped out now.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Shinji2015 posted:

Woof, the comedy bits in GTO have not aged well. I still think it has a lot to say about the roles that teachers and schools have and what kind of effect that they have on students, but I can't watch Onizuka interact with his female students without getting creeped out now.

Even as a teenager i felt grossed out and uncomfortable with his relationships with female students

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Alright, if we insist on anime talk, here's an anime. The Mysterious Cities of Gold, an early 80s Japanese/French co-production and a cult classic for Nickelodeon kids of this time.

poparena fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 23, 2020

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

I fluctuate a lot between Grandma Goku and Sean; I think she hits the comedy bits better, but Sean is better for the serious stuff.

Rest of the characters, I'm less divided: Vegeta, Gohan, and Piccolo are better in English, Frieza, Krillin, Bulma are better in Japanese, Cell is perfect either way.

I had already heard examples of Goku's Japanese voice so I was prepared when I started watching Super, my first time watching subbed Dragon Ball. What really threw me off was hearing King Kai's Japanese voice. Such a completely different energy that, at least for someone used to the English portrayal, felt way off for the character.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think people compare anime to the wrong equivalent Western media. It's niche and aimed at young adults, mostly male if you're talking about the "mainstream" productions. It's not prestige drama, it's comics. Literally, if we take into account most anime comes from manga. I think you'll find that there are a lot of similarities between the skeevy poo poo in both, although of course there are culture specific elements to it.

Also the length argument is kinda silly, people will recommend 50h TV shows without blinking. I never seen someone say "oh, I can't recommend The Wire to people because it's 40h of their time".

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Strange parts of Twitter are utterly apoplectic because Anthony Fantano was only feeling a light 7 for the latest album by 90's one hit wonder Fiona Apple. Apparently he hates women. It's even on my top trends.

This comment seemed to gan traction and it's a lot:

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 23, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Come to think of it, I genuinely can't think of another anime that's built around large-scale clash-of-armies tactical action with shiny modern animation. The Gundam franchise sometimes brushes against it, and Girls und Panzer kinda-sorta-maybe fits, but the LOGH remake really does feel like it's one of a kind (or close to it).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

Strange parts of Twitter are utterly apoplectic because Anthony Fantano was only feeling a light 7 for the latest album by 90's one hit wonder Fiona Apple. Apparently he hates women. It's even on my top trends.

This comment seemed to gan traction and it's a lot:

There are people in Anthony's Twitter replying with Alex Jones clips and I have no idea if they're being ironic or not. Probably not, and that's... wow.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

There are people in Anthony's Twitter replying with Alex Jones clips and I have no idea if they're being ironic or not. Probably not, and that's... wow.

I mean, probably just ironic memeing? I don't think there's much crossover between Fiona Apple fans and Infowars subscribers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Come to think of it, I genuinely can't think of another anime that's built around large-scale clash-of-armies tactical action with shiny modern animation. The Gundam franchise sometimes brushes against it, and Girls und Panzer kinda-sorta-maybe fits, but the LOGH remake really does feel like it's one of a kind (or close to it).

Last Exile and Code Geass, maybe?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

I mean, probably just ironic memeing? I don't think there's much crossover between Fiona Apple fans and Infowars subscribers.

One would hope, but who knows anymore. Still the amount of hate Anthony getting is something else.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Imagine thinking that the world isn't mostly run by cowardly men. Honestly that's the most deranged bit of this comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah nope my tired rear end brain inverted the first digit 6 into a 9 for total runtime minutes.