Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i hope he remembered to scarify the bun or it'll take forever to germinate

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I have 126 patio doors how do i make them into a greenhouse?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Rationale posted:

drill holes along the edges and sew them together with paracord

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I'm (hopefully) going to move in a couple of months, which is probably when this whole food shortage business is going to start getting serious (lol.)

So right now I'm going to start planting stuff in buckets/grow bags, where I can transplant later. Anyone have any recommendations for crops that do well in buckets?

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

i remember hearing as a kid that native americans would plant their corn and bury a fish head with it but in reality it would rot and kill the corn

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I'm (hopefully) going to move in a couple of months, which is probably when this whole food shortage business is going to start getting serious (lol.)

So right now I'm going to start planting stuff in buckets/grow bags, where I can transplant later. Anyone have any recommendations for crops that do well in buckets?

Probably things like potatoes and radishes come to mind. From what I've read most leafy greens like lettuce/arrugula don't have deep root systems so that might work too?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

What size buckets are you thinking of. You can plant a tomato in a 5 gallon bucket and get some production from it.

Also, I've been listening to this guy for what seems like decent garden advice to fall asleep to. He is basically the gardening version of Bob Ross
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz9VmI0tTSk

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Ayin posted:

You can also use the tops of carrots you get at the store, although it won't get as long as the one you cut it off of

Huh didnt know that. How do carrots seed / spread actually i wonder.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Wild carrot, also known as Queen Anne's Lace, is literally a weed

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
however lots of wild plants look similar and some of them are poisonous so be careful when foraging and do a lot of research into the plants in your local biome

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly don't even touch plants that look similar to carrot unless you really know what they are. The carrot family is filled with the worst plants that have sap which can burn your skin in sunlight.

Local news in the US loves covering teens who've been hosed up by the stuff every summer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viCsoaw66mk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85sNJJVapqs

It's not dangerous if you're careful. But most people really aren't.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I grew heirloom tomatoes and pepper plants from a seed tray and moved the seedlings successfully to a small pot and then transplanted outside. Definitely wouldn't do salad greens, they don't move well.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

thinking about trellising my tomatoes and peppers with an overhead line suspended between posts, but don't necessarily want to buy t posts, might see if i can scavenge some hosed up 2×4s to use instead

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Honestly don't even touch plants that look similar to carrot unless you really know what they are. The carrot family is filled with the worst plants that have sap which can burn your skin in sunlight.
You mention these but not the great grandaddy of toxic carrot-look-alikes, the poison hemlock? for shame

anyway yes if you go digging for Queen Anne's Lace be v careful

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

Local news in the US loves covering teens who've been hosed up by the stuff every summer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viCsoaw66mk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85sNJJVapqs

It's not dangerous if you're careful. But most people really aren't.

I burned the poo poo out of myself with Pushki (cow parsnip) a few years ago. Ran a weedeater for a few hours on an sunny day while wearing a short sleeve shirt and ended up with gnarly 2nd degree burns all over my arms that took weeks to really heal. Previous to that I had spent multiple summers cutting pushki basically all day at work and never had a problem, except I was always wearing long sleeves.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

There's a big ol' photo of hemlock one post above.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Actually you'll find having poisonous weeds on your property is good, keeps the neighborhood kids (and animals) out. I have Castor (the plant Ricin is made from) growing wild in my yard every year, Poke as well.

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 05:19 on Apr 23, 2020

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rationale posted:

Don't, just hammer some planters together out of planks and attach one of the doors to the top. Greenhouse effect. Got to be untreated wood mind

Like this

That one's done with an old window, I had one with a door but it got broken when we moved it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Atrocious Joe posted:

The carrot family is filled with the worst plants that have sap which can burn your skin in sunlight.

Phytophotodermatitis

Even lime juice does it, though not that severely.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i wish i had any kind of outdoor area or place in the house exposed to sun. i grow some plants on my window sills but its not really enough

so basically all you garden goons are the 1% and will be up against the fence when the revolution comes

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Communist Thoughts posted:

i wish i had any kind of outdoor area or place in the house exposed to sun. i grow some plants on my window sills but its not really enough

so basically all you garden goons are the 1% and will be up against the fence when the revolution comes

hydroponics is the future, get hip to it. I am laying the foundation to convince my wife that we should be having fresh cheap lettuce year round using lights.

I'm a lifelong gardener, and I finally have a back-yard again. Growing the standards, but I'm experimenting with eggplants this year. I also transplanted some wild garlic.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

bollig posted:

hydroponics is the future, get hip to it. I am laying the foundation to convince my wife that we should be having fresh cheap lettuce year round using lights.

I'm a lifelong gardener, and I finally have a back-yard again. Growing the standards, but I'm experimenting with eggplants this year. I also transplanted some wild garlic.

C-SPAM Gardening Thread: Get Hooked on 'Ponics!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Oh hey have a copy pasted bit from my update to this thread I keep posting on about doing farm and woodland stuff

Back at home I cropped a peashoot and lettuce salad- the two peashoot boxes to the left are from pea seed that expired in 2015 and are taking longer to sprout properly, the ones to the right are from the bachelor's brand ones and despite having to cut away vines/creeper bits the leaves were lush and tasty

The outdoor salad is looking good- I added another row of lettuce seeds to each, and I'm going to do a row of peashoots too I think

The flowerbomb project is also seeing results and I think I need to learn to use less seeds because goddamn

The bean machines are getting warmed up

These are the outdoor germination experiment results so far- peas are through nicely and will be ready for a pea machine soon, and the backup beans can go somewhere I guess ukmt crew know where beans go

The pumpkins still desperately need replanting but lol I have to go buy soil, the honesty are doing great and also need repotting and somewhere in the middle keen eyes will spot a lone chilli seeding poking through

Got at least 3 strong seedlings each of the new varieties and at least 6 of my house standard, so when I get some more soil I'm about ready for tomato factory.

The remnant beans are looking a bit sad, but their companion marigolds are going well, and a few tomato twins have been transplanted into empty cells

Here's all the potted plants from the big purchase earlier in the year- doing grand despite the overgrown patio

Come a long way in a month or two from looking like the above

The black lace elderberry has gorgeous leaves, and the berberis flowers are very popular with the bees.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

The Voice of Labor posted:

There's a big ol' photo of hemlock one post above.
:saddowns:

anyway, I wanted to plant a bunch of stuff this year but then I got sick :( I'm not badly-off but I dunno if I want to do anything strenuous, you know?

If nothing else I'll have the raspberries that were here when I moved in, I guess. And it's probably not a bad thing to see what perennials are in the pre-built Garden Area before I tear it up

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

came up on 20ish free t posts that were in a junk pile

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I swear, after dumping a bunch of fish emulsion on them, the corn and tomatoes doubled in size in a day.

Wife's snap peas came up, as did the horehound in front of them. Put the pumpkins in the ground prematurely because the roots had grown out of the 5'' pots they were started in. Gonna do the same with the watermelons tomorrow. Roquette is up everywhere it got broadcast.

After work all I wanna do is smoke a joint and play in the garden. I've pretty much become my dad.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Got my cucumber seeds, dug out the rest of my 4 by 12 plot and tossed on top soil. Going to get the stuff need to fence out the deer and other critters so I should be able to start planting in the next couple of weeks if this cold snap in the northeast ever ends.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

got the drip installation finished for the main garden, may have gone overboard and put in 48 0-10gph emitters so there wasn't enough water pressure to run my pots at the same time and had to run a separate line... picked up some nice pepper starts though, got an aji amarillo, some fresnos new mexicos and havasus... dogs were digging in the garden so i have to put up fencing to keep them out

one nice thing about my garden location is it's next to a pile of pavers that provide a habitat for lots of pest-eating lizards

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

We have a number of tomato and squash seedlings growing right now. We've split them up between our house and our parents' houses so hopefully there's a better chance of at least one of us getting good yields.

Going to sow spinach and carrots in a few weeks, but I need to clear and hand till a big patch of ground, which will suck.

E: there are wild mulberries in our yard too so we'll get tons of those

brugroffil has issued a correction as of 16:40 on Apr 26, 2020

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I don't think it's hot enough for me to grow millet. Also what I thought were my zucchini sprouting up are bird seed sunflowers.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I love cspam gardening thread and I wish it had TRUMIOP energy for endless shitposts bumping it to the top of the forum

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

brugroffil posted:

E: there are wild mulberries in our yard too so we'll get tons of those

gently caress yeah mulberries.

They’re a criminally underrated crop.

Mulberries grow so fast you can sit down and watch it happen, they require no care, and they bear delicious fruit early and often.

What’s not to like?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There's no such thing as an Aeroponics-type setup where you can just put your own seeds in it, is there? I love how sleek the brandname designs are but I don't wanna get chained to buying brandname pods forever like a loving Keurig owner

E: looks like there is
https://www.amazon.com/AeroGarden-Grow-Anything-Seed-Pod/dp/B0042VK7LK

I think I'll jump on one of these when I find a used one in the area. I have a balcony but that's just for flowers

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK has issued a correction as of 03:01 on Apr 28, 2020

twoday
May 4, 2005

That’s just a generic hydroponic system, and it is totally possible to make your own set up and plant whatever you want in there

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

There's no such thing as an Aeroponics-type setup where you can just put your own seeds in it, is there? I love how sleek the brandname designs are but I don't wanna get chained to buying brandname pods forever like a loving Keurig owner

For an Aerogarden you can buy blank pods and plant whatever you want that can grow aeroponically. You can also just reuse old seed pods if you add your own substrate.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
^^^all the encouragement i needed! thank you, i will post back with a review :cool:

twoday posted:

That’s just a generic hydroponic system, and it is totally possible to make your own set up and plant whatever you want in there

Yes but ... they dont look as nice :P

I guess I'm looking for a houseplant effect as much as fresh herbs

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Wowwww these "Rotofarm" dealies are sexy as hell

Available for pre-order for a low price of only $775 :-/ Someday perhaps .........

twoday
May 4, 2005

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Yes but ... they dont look as nice :P

I guess I'm looking for a houseplant effect as much as fresh herbs

Hydroponic systems are designed for agriculture and things like weed - crops that are meant to be harvested. The underlying idea is to create an efficient system of plant nutrition that allows the plant to grow as quickly as possible and then be harvested. This doesn't really make sense for a houseplant, which is meant to be decorative, and stay more or less in the same state all the time. I guess you could try to plant a ficus in there or whatever, but then you will have a ficus that is growing with optimal efficiency and then you will soon have a very large ficus that wouldn't fit in your aeroponic system anymore, and you would have to transplant it to a pot of soil. But the other thing is, these edible plants are meant to be harvested quickly, and so I'm not sure if all different types of plants can survive in that sort of system for an extended period of time. For instance, if you planted aloe in there and quickly and efficiently grew a giant aloe, at some point I think it would be unhappy in even a large hydroponic system and would prefer to be in soil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

twoday posted:

Hydroponic systems are designed for agriculture and things like weed - crops that are meant to be harvested. The underlying idea is to create an efficient system of plant nutrition that allows the plant to grow as quickly as possible and then be harvested. This doesn't really make sense for a houseplant, which is meant to be decorative, and stay more or less in the same state all the time. I guess you could try to plant a ficus in there or whatever, but then you will have a ficus that is growing with optimal efficiency and then you will soon have a very large ficus that wouldn't fit in your aeroponic system anymore, and you would have to transplant it to a pot of soil. But the other thing is, these edible plants are meant to be harvested quickly, and so I'm not sure if all different types of plants can survive in that sort of system for an extended period of time. For instance, if you planted aloe in there and quickly and efficiently grew a giant aloe, at some point I think it would be unhappy in even a large hydroponic system and would prefer to be in soil.

I’m pretty interested in getting something like that for hard to grow (in my area) herbs and vegetables. I assume they do well in these things?

agreed that that rotofarm thing looks sweet.