Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don’t get how Babylon Berlin can do so many things right but still have so many clunky aspects. I remember the bullshit fake-out in the first season (seasons, whatever), but the second-to-last episode of the latest one was absurd. Hey it turns out this one guy is actually completely psychotic because he didn’t get complemented enough, the real murderers are people from last season that I don’t think are hinted at whatsoever, and what was Weintraub doing when he got out of the car in the first episode? Who knows! Oh and let’s have the crazy guy give a wall of exposition to explain everything. It seems to be a recurring theme to nearly kill Charlotte in the season finale which is grimly amusing, although injuries seem to be forgotten about within an episode or two so whatever.

The atmosphere and a lot of the subplots are still very compelling but it seems like the actual police-procedural-mystery is the weakest part of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Decline on Netflix was good. Was not expecting the main character to unceremoniously shot in the head 2/3rds of the way through

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I enjoyed that one. Very stripped down. Solid start for Netflix Québécois production.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
If you have money to burn A24 is auctioning off props from their movies, including the flower dress from Midsommar

https://a24auctions.com/auctions/midsommar-harga-collectibles

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Deadite posted:

If you have money to burn A24 is auctioning off props from their movies, including the flower dress from Midsommar

https://a24auctions.com/auctions/midsommar-harga-collectibles

I want the hammer please. It is tempting, but I have a feeling the amount will go well beyond my means.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

nate fisher posted:

I want the hammer please. It is tempting, but I have a feeling the amount will go well beyond my means.

I was gonna go $30 max. Please don't outbid me :ohdear:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I bet that dress will go for at least 10K.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I would wear that dress every day

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 22, 2020

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

veni veni veni posted:

I bet that dress will go for at least 10K.

This doormat from Hereditary is already at $5,000 with 15 days left to go

https://a24auctions.com/auctions/a24-attic-auction/heirloom-doormat-01

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah that's what I was going off of. Might be way more than that though.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

Junkie Disease posted:

McMillions is 1 hour dragged to death over 6 hours

I don't know if it's cause I've seen this sentiment about it quite often (although it's been positively talked about) but I agree 100%. I'm usually a sucker for these docu-dramas but it reallly felt like they were taking their sweet time and something about FBI agent Doug Mathews turned me off. Several others too, but especially with him, it was like they knew they were "stars" in this awesome new documentary and were really hamming it up for the cameras. Painstakingly made it through 3 episodes and stopped. Will just read up about it online instead.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
There’s a new season of Bosch! It involves sovereign citizens!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Devs was good, if predictable. I called it from the first episode.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I mean there wasn't another way it could have gone, except for the "we're just in the matrix now, I guess, but it's fine" epilogue bit. I definitely shouted "just do something other than what's on the screen" at more than a few characters. Characters who were themselves on a screen... :thunk:

Don't really see how there could be a season 2.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

hmmxkrazee posted:

I don't know if it's cause I've seen this sentiment about it quite often (although it's been positively talked about) but I agree 100%. I'm usually a sucker for these docu-dramas but it reallly felt like they were taking their sweet time and something about FBI agent Doug Mathews turned me off. Several others too, but especially with him, it was like they knew they were "stars" in this awesome new documentary and were really hamming it up for the cameras. Painstakingly made it through 3 episodes and stopped. Will just read up about it online instead.

Good idea

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Inspector Hound posted:

I mean there wasn't another way it could have gone, except for the "we're just in the matrix now, I guess, but it's fine" epilogue bit. I definitely shouted "just do something other than what's on the screen" at more than a few characters. Characters who were themselves on a screen... :thunk:

Don't really see how there could be a season 2.

There is no season 2. Alex Garland refuses to work on sequels or ongoing series. He is going to do an entirely new show with mostly the same cast though.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tainen posted:

aw yeah, my comfort zoney old-guys-rule police procedural. set in a city I can't stand to visit but am oddly charmed by in its portrayal on this fictional show.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I wonder if the sole purpose of Devs was so Alex Garland could have two works called Deus Ex Machina

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Tainen posted:

Hell yeah! I've already marathoned The Wire, The Shield, Longmire, and Justified. Bosch has been pretty good overall and keeps me entertained. Are there any other really strong procedurals streaming that anyone would recommend?

Nostalgia aside, Is Miami Vice actually good? I was 11 or so when it started and I remember watching an episode or two that had Phil Collins, but that's about it. Is it episodic or does it have major plot archs over the entire run?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I finally watched The Mandalorian and while it’s not anything amazing, I still think it’s probably the best Star Wars thing since the original trilogy.

Maybe tied with Rogue One.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Same, everything was set out in the very first episode which made the rest of the show kinda boring to me. Visually it was nice and the music was awesome.

Initially when they showed Devs I thought looks like a temple, gold everywhere, church music playing, so they're trying to make a god here which is kinda cliche. Then they were like no it's just a program that sees the past and future. Then at the end it was like yes the computer is literally Deus, a god. I could not roll my eyes any harder.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Tainen posted:

I love this stupid silly show, and am sad there's only one more season.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Last night I had a dream that a bad guy jumped off a three story building and burst like a ripe melon, then Bosch grimly jumped off the same building and was just fine.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The only part about Devs I liked was when Alison Pill tricked the young guy into killing himself with bullshit nonsense. I was like oh poo poo it's a metaphor for how I got tricked into watching this show!!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sir Not Appearing posted:

Nostalgia aside, Is Miami Vice actually good? I was 11 or so when it started and I remember watching an episode or two that had Phil Collins, but that's about it. Is it episodic or does it have major plot archs over the entire run?

Yes! There are some longer running stories but nothing like modern plot arcs. Keep in mind that it comes from the era of 26 episode seasons though, so there is filler. I watched the first two seasons and maybe 1-2 eps of the third before I decided to leave the show at a relatively high mark.

When it’s good though, it’s good. I had no nostalgia going into the show but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. Keep in mind that after the pilot episode there are a few so-so episodes before it finds its legs.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The only part about Devs I liked was when Alison Pill tricked the young guy into killing himself with bullshit nonsense. I was like oh poo poo it's a metaphor for how I got tricked into watching this show!!

Why the gently caress would you not just walk back to the car, it would prove your entire point, I watched eight loving hours, like a movie with three sequels

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

...any other really strong procedurals streaming that anyone would recommend?

NYPD Blue is on Prime, really worth watching, leaves on April 30 but might get re-upped. IMO it's in the top 5 police procedurals of all time. Another really strong one is Line of Duty, also on Prime, a British procedural about anti-corruption cops, the dreaded Internal Affairs in American shows, but here they are the good guys (mostly). More mystery oriented is Black Spot (Zone Blanche, originally) on Netflix, about a remote French town with an unusually high murder rate, a prosector is sent to investigate but he has his own agenda. Bordertown (renamed Sorjonen for S3) on Netflix is a Finnish Sherlockian drama about a burnt out big city police detective who moves to the sticks for a change of pace and doesn't find it. An oldie but a goodie, Barney Miller was airing on Comet or Pluto, one of those.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

wormil posted:

NYPD Blue is on Prime, really worth watching, leaves on April 30 but might get re-upped. IMO it's in the top 5 police procedurals of all time. Another really strong one is Line of Duty, also on Prime, a British procedural about anti-corruption cops, the dreaded Internal Affairs in American shows, but here they are the good guys (mostly). More mystery oriented is Black Spot (Zone Blanche, originally) on Netflix, about a remote French town with an unusually high murder rate, a prosector is sent to investigate but he has his own agenda. Bordertown (renamed Sorjonen for S3) on Netflix is a Finnish Sherlockian drama about a burnt out big city police detective who moves to the sticks for a change of pace and doesn't find it. An oldie but a goodie, Barney Miller was airing on Comet or Pluto, one of those.

I recently finished Bordertown and found it entertaining but it started to get a little outlandish that pretty much every case ends up involving one of the main characters family members at some point.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

beanieson posted:

I finally watched The Mandalorian and while it’s not anything amazing, I still think it’s probably the best Star Wars thing since the original trilogy.

Maybe tied with Rogue One.

I watched it when it was coming out and I have to say it works well as an easy show to come back to and just watch an episode every once in awhile. It's just Star Wars doing classic western/samurai plots and it's good at that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Tainen posted:

I recently finished Bordertown and found it entertaining but it started to get a little outlandish that pretty much every case ends up involving one of the main characters family members at some point.

Same with Black Spot, but it's in a small town and one of the major plotlines is about one of those families. But that's par for the course with these shows. Black Spot gets a little boring mid-s2 but wraps up well enough.

I should also mention Manhunt, starring Martin Clunes, which is a more realistic police procedural.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Absolutely.

The show is just so goddamn cool and brutal at the same time. You have to at least watch the pilot "Brother's Keeper."

Everything just oozes cool. The fashion, the music, the colors, set design. I could spend all day writing about each of those. Everything. Crockett and Tubbs are the coolest motherfuckers in the room and you know it every time they are on screen.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
If you like police procedurals, Homicide:Life On The Street is pretty good. Nabbed a few Emmys during it's run and had some cool guests like Robin Williams. Cast included Ned Beatty, Melissa Leo, Andre Braugher, Giancarlo Esposito, Richard Belzer, et al

It uses to be on Netflix but doesn't appear the be streaming at the moment.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I watched it when it was coming out and I have to say it works well as an easy show to come back to and just watch an episode every once in awhile. It's just Star Wars doing classic western/samurai plots and it's good at that.

Yeah, it’s all I want in a star war. It’s supposed to be this giant galaxy but every time we get another movie about Skywalkers it feels more and more like there’s only about 30 people living in this small town. Show me some other cool sci-fi poo poo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

C2C - 2.0 posted:

If you like police procedurals, Homicide:Life On The Street is pretty good. Nabbed a few Emmys during it's run and had some cool guests like Robin Williams. Cast included Ned Beatty, Melissa Leo, Andre Braugher, Giancarlo Esposito, Richard Belzer, et al

It uses to be on Netflix but doesn't appear the be streaming at the moment.

Homicide is from the same dude who did The Wire and it's based off his same book. It's really good. I don't know if it's ever been on a streaming service in the US though. Our best hope is for it to show up on Peacock.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Tainen posted:

do any book readers know if the Haiti stuff was in the Connolly books or if they wrote it into the show for Jamie Hector?

https://www.tvinsider.com/930756/bosch-season-6-jerry-edgar-jamie-hector/

Titus and Jamie confirmed homies, IRL.

Jamie Hector posted:

That’s my guy. We’re friends. We speak on the phone. We live thousands of miles apart — he is from the East Coast but lives in the West. I’m on the East Coast, so once we separate we’re always calling and checking up on the kids. We just had a FaceTime session the other day making sure we were OK. His love for film and TV and my love for film and TV, we always connect on that level. He is funny.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I've read a half dozen of them, and I honestly don't ever remember him leaving the LA city limits.

In my head he was more like Det. Eckhardt from the first Tim Burton Batman than sexy Titus Welliver.

Which made the crossover with the Lincoln Lawyer books (that I associated with Matthew McConaughey) funny.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Thanks for all the police procedural suggestions! As soon as I finish the new season of Bosch, I'm going to try Miami Vice. Manhunt, Homicide and NYPD all are going into my various watch lists if they're all still streaming. I remember NYPD Blue was supposed to be groundbreaking for a network program when it was new and Homicide looks interesting just with a all the familiar faces after scrolling through the IMDB entry.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Keyser_Soze posted:

do any book readers know if the Haiti stuff was in the Connolly books or if they wrote it into the show for Jamie Hector?

https://www.tvinsider.com/930756/bosch-season-6-jerry-edgar-jamie-hector/

Titus and Jamie confirmed homies, IRL.

In these troubled times I've actually just started listening to my first audiobook of a Bosch novel, and it's bland and procedural enough to go to sleep to. My current novel is partly narrated by Titus Welliver, who delivers a mostly-appropriate flat performance.

Book's pretty different from the show in some ways (book says he has a cop mustache and yeah that's not going in my head canon) but close enough for zoning out at bedtime. This book contains the cold case plot from the current season and it's a bit of a trip hearing the same story being told somewhat differently. Again, perfect for drifting off to dreamland.

Really hoping J Edgar shows up in a future novel, and yeah he's gonna be exactly like Jamie Hector in my brain.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jose Oquendo posted:

Homicide is from the same dude who did The Wire and it's based off his same book. It's really good. I don't know if it's ever been on a streaming service in the US though. Our best hope is for it to show up on Peacock.

From what I understand, Homicide is REALLY hard to find on streaming, which is unfortunate considering how important it is to TV history and the police procedural as a genre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

The Vosgian Beast posted:

From what I understand, Homicide is REALLY hard to find on streaming, which is unfortunate considering how important it is to TV history and the police procedural as a genre

Tough to find and $252 for the boxed set. Might have to check out my favorite, private :filez: tracker.