Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

If you want to train throwing make yourself a sling, collect some rocks and just start practicing shooting them (slings work off throwing unless something changed).

The sling is a surprisingly decent weapon early on, easy to make, modest range, plentiful ammo and dead quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Save and throw one so you see how far the blast radius is, it’s farther than you think. Also you’re correct to be afraid at throwing 0.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Save and throw one so you see how far the blast radius is
Wait a minute... you can savescum??

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hit alt f4 :v:

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Yeah... you can kill the game any time you are about to die and you generally get a little bit of a do-over. Also, back up your save files every few hours in case you do something really dumb. This game can be too buggy at times and has too many ways to instantly kill you for me to iron man it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Does Alt-F4 work? I never tried because I was worried that the game would intercept the signal and auto save. I kill it from Process Explorer. :)

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I will use this knowledge with great care

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I only use it if the game gives me a bullshit death, like the time I took 3 codeine pills in 18 hours and the game gave me a heart attack.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Does Alt-F4 work? I never tried because I was worried that the game would intercept the signal and auto save. I kill it from Process Explorer. :)

Yeah, Alt + f4 works fine.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

There was one recipe (vacuum sealed fish?) that was -2.1 billion calories. I was curious if it was a display bug or actually took 2 billion calories out of your body. It was the 2nd so I savescummed that one!

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

If anyone doesn't know, there's also a "Quicksave" command that's unbound by default. I usually set it to ` and save before I'm about to do something stupid, then you can alt-f4 so long as you don't go past the "deathcam" that happens after you die.

(you can also bind Debug Menu if you're real bad)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm sure I will be mocked but the majority of my save scumming is mutagens cause RNG is aaaaaaassssssssssss. Like sure its rng if I fail CBM installation, but if I succeed I get the CBM I want, and I can get another copy of that CBM. Mutations its like "here is 3 awful mutations and a tail, now gently caress off"

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Leal posted:

I'm sure I will be mocked but the majority of my save scumming is mutagens cause RNG is aaaaaaassssssssssss. Like sure its rng if I fail CBM installation, but if I succeed I get the CBM I want, and I can get another copy of that CBM. Mutations its like "here is 3 awful mutations and a tail, now gently caress off"

I'd be lying if I said I didn't occasionally un-mutate a particularly obnoxious/off-flavor mutation. I don't mind drawbacks or a dud batch of mutagen, but turning into a cold-blooded albino halfway through your feline transformation is just a tad annoying.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

It's a sandbox game so everyone is free to play as they enjoy it imo

So when you catch a deep bite it gives you an infection if not handled properly. I always keep real disinfectant on me just for that and use cattail jelly for normal wounds. Now disinfectant has a chance of 94% to clean the bite but I wonder if there is a way to tell if you failed? I never got any sort of message in my log other than the normal "you disinfect the wound" message and wouldn't put it past the game to be sneaky about you failing the check

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Dunno if they fixed it but if you alt f4 when the screen says “watch your death?” Then it still saves your corpse so when you reload, you’ll find your own dead body and everything you were carrying when you died. Depending on what you were holding this can be hilariously game breaking.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tin Tim posted:

So when you catch a deep bite it gives you an infection if not handled properly. I always keep real disinfectant on me just for that and use cattail jelly for normal wounds. Now disinfectant has a chance of 94% to clean the bite but I wonder if there is a way to tell if you failed? I never got any sort of message in my log other than the normal "you disinfect the wound" message and wouldn't put it past the game to be sneaky about you failing the check

It will say something like "you fail to clean the wound" or "your bite wound still aches", but the menu to apply more antiseptic will lie to you and say you won't get more effect out of it.

So goatsestretchgoals, what actually happened with the negative 2 billion calorie fish? Instant death by starvation or just so hungry you couldn't realistically get it off the peg?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I was doing a lab escape all day today and when I went to check the top to think of a way to get past the turret the loving ID reader was destroyed

Some fucknig zombie on the outside just walked up and decided it was gonna destroy the keycard reader.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Dareon posted:

It will say something like "you fail to clean the wound" or "your bite wound still aches", but the menu to apply more antiseptic will lie to you and say you won't get more effect out of it.
Thanks I'll try to keep a better eye on the log whenever I get a deep bite

Is there any downside to mutated meat? I just killed the giant molerat that was chilling in one of the basements in my town and it sure has a lot of meat. Would be nice if I could just toss it into the smoker without getting sick from it later or whatever

Leal posted:

I was doing a lab escape all day today and when I went to check the top to think of a way to get past the turret the loving ID reader was destroyed

Some fucknig zombie on the outside just walked up and decided it was gonna destroy the keycard reader.
It must have flashed insults in signal code at the zombie

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

It just keeps the body parts name blue if you fail.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Smoked mutant meat still has toxins so it'll ding your health stat, sorry.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What this means is that you will heal slower and be more susceptible to infection/disease.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Anticheese posted:

Smoked mutant meat still has toxins so it'll ding your health stat, sorry.
Weeelp out to the refuse burning pit it goes. At least the rat gave me a ton of hide and bones

Roobanguy posted:

It just keeps the body parts name blue if you fail.
Oh nice that's a really easy tell then

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

TimTim's newbie posting has me wanting to play again so I grabbed 0.E and WTF, where'd all the mods go? Like hell I'm playing without some of the stuff that was packaged with 0.D (unless they unfucked the nutrition system, but even then).

Can I just toss them from my 0.D folder in 0.E and they'll work or will poo poo break?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They will break like gently caress. You need Goat's updated/maintained versions. Can't link while on phone sorry.

Edit: Here https://github.com/TheGoatGod/Goats-Mod-Compilation/releases/tag/1.0b

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 23, 2020

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nah, its cool, thats more than enough to go googling for like I should.

Also, should I use stable or go for the experimentals?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Right now 0.E because the experimentals appear to have been making GBS threads the bed all day.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dareon posted:

So goatsestretchgoals, what actually happened with the negative 2 billion calorie fish? Instant death by starvation or just so hungry you couldn't realistically get it off the peg?

The 2nd, it took a few hours then I starved to death. No change in hunger (which makes sense given how it works now) and I didn’t think to look at the debug menu, I assume I would have seen negative stored kCals.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I'm at the point where I can get into some forging. Can I build a rock forge in my crafting basement without it killing me with smoke or heat? I don't have the means to supply an electric forge for very long I think so I'd rather use the primitive version

Galaga Galaxian posted:

TimTim's newbie posting
Those are fighting words :toughguy:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Because I misspelled your name or called you a newbie? :v: if you’re not the newish person who has been posting for a week+ I apologize and I meant no insult. I love seeing new people discovering all the weirdness of Cata.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm kind of put out by so many quality of life mods being pulled from the packed options but I suppose I should be resigned to such things.

Little PC height thing is kinda cool, it tracks huge/large/small/tiny and even adjusts your weight readout from bathroom scales so now I know that my 3'4 mouse mutant needs to hang out around 51 to 56 pounds to stay healthy and that my 9'2 mastadon has absolutely no business getting into most houses, nevermind cars.

I mean I think it's neat anyway.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Because I misspelled your name or called you a newbie? :v:
Yeah I was just joking about being called a noob. Didn't even parse the misspelling first time round :wave:

And as said before this thread has been a huge help with getting into the game. I probably wouldn't have played it as much as I have now if I had to dig through google+wiki for every question that comes up. And it doesn't help that a lot of the documentation isn't up to date or cryptic as heck

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Rock forge won’t make it hot. Have you found the Scottish cookbook yet? It also has recipes for end game swords because lol Scots.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Vehicle coolers own. I had an encounter at one of the farms with a boarded up barn and didn't make it inside in time to save the farmer or the cows, so I quickly field dressed the cows and threw them in the back of my policecar/boxtruck abomination. Cows have a lot of meat, and I quickly filled my freezer and fridge. So I set up a vehicle cooler up and turned my entire basement into an ice box, saving the corpses and freezing the meat. I now have sausage and humble pie material for days. Even mined out a 3x3 room and put a door over it so it doesn't freeze everything. Lots of storage, just need to put some shelves in. I might even set up a kitchen unit in there. Not every recipe accepts frozen materials but I could warm the parts up I need to craft.

Almost makes up for the lovely luck I've had with NPC's. My only friend is a skill less mutant fish man I found by a lab, I've had to get him to read books just to know enough to cut up cars for me. I found a pocket lab with 4 broken cyborgs, and I had no chance of being nice to them. Apparently being half dragon means I can only really intimidate people. Oh well, got all their alloy plating from their corpses, so it wasn't a total loss, but I could use some more friends to chop cars and make charcoal for my sausage smoking.

Arcana mod rules. You'll have to pull it from Chaosvolt's github, but it's a lot of fun and works well with magiclysm. Aftershock, Magiclysm, and Arcana basically makes the game the shadow run game it should be.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh yeah, NPCs. Those are working now? Are they part of the optional mods stuff still or need settings changed?

I’ve never payed with Aftershock, Bright Nights, or Magiclysm before (the last one wasn’t even a thing last time I played a ton iirc).

Maybe I should give some of them a try but is there a write up anywhere about what that kinda stuff contains?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Rock forge won’t make it hot. Have you found the Scottish cookbook yet? It also has recipes for end game swords because lol Scots.
Nah I haven't. I'm kinda taking a break in game right now to skill/gear up for looting in the city. I haven't had great luck with books so I hope to find a library or something similar

Man I wish I had enough knowledge to also do these cool things but I'm sure looking forward to it!

Right, I'm currently in maintenance mode after spending three days on the steel mill and being disapointed by the meager finds. I'm currently organizing my crap, disassembling stuff and training skills. I could use some info about batteries. Or rather how I go about recharging them properly? I have a car and enough gas to easily recharge the car batteries I have collected but I'm not sure how I can fill the various forms of smaller batteries I have. I mean I found a hand-crank charger but I assume that will also take a long time. I guess I'm looking for a crash-course about electricity and the related topics if anyone is feeling like teaching me :v:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

There is a recharging station that you install over a storage tile. Humvees and limousines have one.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh yeah, NPCs. Those are working now? Are they part of the optional mods stuff still or need settings changed?

I’ve never payed with Aftershock, Bright Nights, or Magiclysm before (the last one wasn’t even a thing last time I played a ton iirc).

Maybe I should give some of them a try but is there a write up anywhere about what that kinda stuff contains?

NPCs have been greatly expanded on, least the last time I played (like 2016? 17?). You can use the zone feature (shift+ Y) to set up where stuff will go and tell them to sort nearby items and they'll do it. You can also set up construction blueprints and have them work on construction (notably: deconstruction) while you do other stuff. They can mine, farm and butcher corpses with zones.

They're base game, but you should make sure to enable random NPC spawns and *drastically* increase the spawn rate. The game has like a 0.10 default spawn rate and you wont find NPCs anywhere that isn't in a refugee center. I'd say 15 is a good number. Also make sure you enable the disable NPC needs mod (it should be enabled by default) cause do you really want to babysit NPCs?

Leal fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 23, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Tin Tim posted:

Right, I'm currently in maintenance mode after spending three days on the steel mill and being disapointed by the meager finds. I'm currently organizing my crap, disassembling stuff and training skills. I could use some info about batteries. Or rather how I go about recharging them properly? I have a car and enough gas to easily recharge the car batteries I have collected but I'm not sure how I can fill the various forms of smaller batteries I have. I mean I found a hand-crank charger but I assume that will also take a long time. I guess I'm looking for a crash-course about electricity and the related topics if anyone is feeling like teaching me :v:

So for the reasons you have identified, batteries are now incredibly annoying to manage. So, there's two real options to solve any battery issues. The first one is to circumvent batteries altogether and just go straight to wired electricity. Honestly, there aren't tooooo many items in the game that use batteries, so a lot of that functionality you can replace with things you can hook into your car. Replace flashlights with lights in your car, that sort of thing. The motor will work but you'll need a few solar panels to maintain the upkeep of all the things you might plug in, especially once your vehicle is maxed out. Also keep in mind that a "vehicle" doesn't have to be a car - if you attach a couple frames together, electricity will automatically flow between them, allowing you to build homes with electricity flowing through them, so long as you have a battery installed somewhere. Place a solar panel outside and you're good.

The second is to convert objects to UPS, which is basically the rechargeable battery system of Cataclysm for non-vehicles. You need a UPS charger in your vehicle, but that will allow you to recharge any object that has a UPS installed. With the higher loot frequency, it's not super difficult to get ahold of these, and it's really useful for things like battery-powered jackhammers or the endgame equipment that require power, like armored suits or lasers. UPS-powered jackhammers are really common in the big hardware stores which you can then pry out of them and re-purpose, and the charging stations are really frequent in military cars and electronics stores.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Counterpoint: Vehicle welders/kitchens/forges/etc take up a tile that you could use for a cargo carrier instead. The only two things that absolutely need a tile are an autoclave and a freezer. Heavy battery mod your tools and have your charging station tile next to your seat for easy reloads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tin Tim posted:

Nah I haven't. I'm kinda taking a break in game right now to skill/gear up for looting in the city. I haven't had great luck with books so I hope to find a library or something similar

Man I wish I had enough knowledge to also do these cool things but I'm sure looking forward to it!

Right, I'm currently in maintenance mode after spending three days on the steel mill and being disappointed by the meager finds. I'm currently organizing my crap, disassembling stuff and training skills. I could use some info about batteries. Or rather how I go about recharging them properly? I have a car and enough gas to easily recharge the car batteries I have collected but I'm not sure how I can fill the various forms of smaller batteries I have. I mean I found a hand-crank charger but I assume that will also take a long time. I guess I'm looking for a crash-course about electricity and the related topics if anyone is feeling like teaching me :v:

Do you download the game manually, or do you use the launcher? With the launcher it's fairly trivial, there's a tab for mods that has a lot of the 3rd party unbundled mods, you just install from there. Occasionally the game will update and break something and you'll have to uninstall and reinstall the mod, but the launcher will take care of everything else like upgrading between versions.

Also don't fret too much about the obsoleted mods, goons, I know the vehicle mod will return in the repo soon enough, someone picked it up.