Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

foutre posted:

How tall are you? I think the Gesture will probably be too small, iirc it's about the size of/a bit smaller than an Aeron size B. I think the size C should be pretty good, and I think is probably the best option going.

I'd also look at the SecretLab Titan if you try a size C and it ends up being too small or otherwise not working. I've only had one for a little while, but it seems alright so far and would be a good fit size-wise. It's about the same price as a used size C, at least around here. I think if the Aeron fits I would get that, as it discourages reclining more, is more comfortable for very long sitting sessions, has a longer warranty, and generally has better build quality.

Purely anecdotally, I do personally prefer the Titan but that's in large part because the size C is a bit too short and my specific chair has started to fall apart some.

I actually hate racing chairs, but I ended up settling on the autonomous ErgoChair 2, which looks comparable to the Titan. I couldn't figure out a way to make the Aeron or Gesture work with my budget. It's set to ship April 30th (est) so I hope I can stand my $80 poo poo chair a little longer. The seat pan is making my legs cramp. I really miss my standing desk that I have at the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Ihmemies posted:

Just out of curiosity.. does anyone make leather gaming chairs or maybe alcantara chairs? Both are somewhat common in cars.

Or is it always about the price and since hardcore pc gamers are usually not that rich, no one makes chairs from quality materials?

Maxnomic makes really high quality chairs, and they’re based local to me which is pretty neat:

https://www.needforseatusa.com/en_us/shop/chairs/by-purpose/home-office.html

Here’s a video of them sawing their chairs in half for perspective:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yFALUdKREg4

And a breakdown of the materials:

https://www.needforseatusa.com/en_us/maxnomic_vs_noname_chairs

I looked it up and they have a statement about not using regular leather because of animal welfare and the maintenance requirements of leather. I can see a decent leather chair being turbo expensive and also not lasting quite as long, which seems like a good formula for customer dissatisfaction.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone have experience with this? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/office-star-products-progrid-mesh-managers-chair-black/4607807.p?skuId=4607807 I'm an employee so it's about $155 after discount. Comparing it to the HON Exposure recommended on Wirecutter.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not a manager, so I can't sit in that chair.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I'm sure you'll manage.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'm looking to buy a chair for work-from-home purposes. I have a fairly compact living space and weigh under 200lb and am about 6ft tall. Can anyone recommend a model or brand?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
A buddy just reached out to me requesting a chair recommendation. Unfortunately, it seems that he's in a bit of a pickle:
1). His budget is $100
2). His current chair just recently failed ("some $250 racer chair that only lasted a year") and he's sitting on a wooden box right now

I told him that normally I'd recommend hitting up used office furniture places, but that's probably not reasonable right now. Anyone know of any good refurbished chair dealers that deliver? I started looking around online, but I'm not certain what is real and what isn't. (I think it was Madison Seating that everyone here said turned out to be maybe-a-scam?)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Scour craigslist or maybe something cheap from amazon...?

https://www.amazon.com/Smugdesk-Mid...7021236&sr=8-17

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Taima posted:

Scour craigslist or maybe something cheap from amazon...?

https://www.amazon.com/Smugdesk-Mid...7021236&sr=8-17

Good deal; I posted it in Discord as an option. Thanks!

I did ask him about Craigslist/Amazon and he said "Well, I'm iffy about used furniture; there was a bedbug outbreak in the area recently so I'm not really wild about that idea. I did look, though, and there's not much."

I don't know if this company is any good, but $50 for a refurbished SteelCase 454 seems like a hell of a deal:
http://www.preownedsteelcasefurniture.com/454_task_chairs.htm

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My $100 chair from Costco has served me exceptionally well. Like a year in it started squeaking when I reclined, a quick dab of lube fixed that. No complaints, would pinch pennies again.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Bad Munki posted:

My $100 chair from Costco has served me exceptionally well. Like a year in it started squeaking when I reclined, a quick dab of lube fixed that. No complaints, would pinch pennies again.

I suppose there's not a whole lot of drawback to the cheap chair if you've got the legendary Costco warranty up back it up. Minus any ergonomic concerns, of course.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Surprisingly, it’s actually not the worst chair ergo wise. But I’m 5’9” @170, and I can sit a lot of different ways on it. I think the standard 300 pound goon frame might have issues, obviously.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's one of the better cheap chairs out there, but it's got some wonk. The arms are dumb because they're attached to the back -- so when you recline, you end up sitting like an astronaut about to launch.

The mesh is surprisingly durable. We left ours in the sun for a few weeks due to shenanigans and pulled it in due to the Rona, and it's not degraded at all aside from the arm foam.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Wasabi the J posted:

It's one of the better cheap chairs out there, but it's got some wonk. The arms are dumb because they're attached to the back -- so when you recline, you end up sitting like an astronaut about to launch.

The mesh is surprisingly durable. We left ours in the sun for a few weeks due to shenanigans and pulled it in due to the Rona, and it's not degraded at all aside from the arm foam.

Yo, hey, back up now!

I actually prefer the chairs that the entire . . . I don't know how to describe it . . . that the seat pan and seat back tilt at the exact same angle.

It's unfortunate that more chairs don't have that as an option. At least the Aeron and other chairs kinda-sorta approximate it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zarin posted:

Yo, hey, back up now!

I actually prefer the chairs that the entire . . . I don't know how to describe it . . . that the seat pan and seat back tilt at the exact same angle.

It's unfortunate that more chairs don't have that as an option. At least the Aeron and other chairs kinda-sorta approximate it.

No it's not doing that. The butt is just swivel no tilt. The back is a spring loaded recline.

The arms are attached to the back and only swing up, before your shoulders. They only go level to the ground when the chair is upright; when you recline they point UP, so your arms can't remain on the desk.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Wasabi the J posted:

No it's not doing that. The butt is just swivel no tilt. The back is a spring loaded recline.

The arms are attached to the back and only swing up, before your shoulders. They only go level to the ground when the chair is upright; when you recline they point UP, so your arms can't remain on the desk.

Oh, the arms aren't connecting the seat and the back, they're just on the back.

That . . . is weird. Interesting.

Seems like it might be comfortable if you were reading a book or using a video game controller, but definitely not a PC, yeah.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
At their lowest their sliiiightly too high for my elbows to be comfortable. And I'm 6 foot even.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Wasabi the J posted:

At their lowest their sliiiightly too high for my elbows to be comfortable. And I'm 6 foot even.

Almost sounds like you need to toss a cushion on the seat, heh. Of course, that defeats the purpose of the mesh.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

I found my current chair sitting next to the dumpster by my building. I was just moving in so I thought that was a great temporary solution but I'm still using it years later. It's surprisingly pretty decent and I never had any discomfort even sitting like 16 hours in it during the lockdown now.

Still, I have the Steelcase Leap in the office that I was hoping to pick up when they replace them but that's not happening any time soon. Has anyone had luck getting a chair from ebay/craigslist? Or since this is mostly a business thing, are there better places to look for them?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

In case you're wondering what my experience with Seating Mind was, it took me 2 weeks of repeated cancellation emails to finally get this:

:420:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I'm horrible and have been using an absolute poo poo cheap office chair for playing games for the last 15+ years. I'm looking at buying something nice.

https://www.btod.com/btod-akir-fab

Any thoughts on this chair? Is there a different chair I should be looking at in this price range? Can I buy something less expensive that is similar or just as good? I don't *want* to spend $400 on a chair but I realize it's probably an extremely good investment.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
For that price I’d try to get a used Aeron or Leap or whatever. Not having mesh in the seat would make my legs mad after a while

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Hed posted:

Not having mesh in the seat would make my legs mad after a while
To me the "contouring" most chairs have bother me more than what the material is. Im one of those people that wants to go from normal sitting to legs crossed to foot-under-leg to cross-legged freely, and if the surface isnt pretty flat it can get pretty uncomfortable to me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think my Ergohuman is finally starting to get too warn after like 12 years. Its the 2nd oldest thing I own, other than a set or Klipsch bookshelf speakers. I've been lurking this thread for a year now and I'm still scared to replace it.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Hed posted:

For that price I’d try to get a used Aeron or Leap or whatever. Not having mesh in the seat would make my legs mad after a while

I seem to be able to find a used Aeron for... $450. Is that good? It's actually a used office furniture place that's right next to my work.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I would take a used Aeron in good shape over the one you linked, yes. The things I would check are 1) pellicle in good shape, 2) mechanics of spin and forward/back tilt are in good order. For me, ensuring the recline lockout (limiting the amount of recline by adjusting the slider) is something I always check. Check the full range of controls here: https://www.hermanmiller.com/customer-service/chair-adjustments/ Other things like the piston or casters you can repair yourself pretty easily, but obviously take the best one or ask them to knock more off the price.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Always check the model of a used Aeron, some are decades old and there was a design refresh that kept the name. I might consider a used new model but would hesitate on buying the old model at this point.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Speaking of the Aeron, has anyone tried the Cosm?
https://store.hermanmiller.com/office/office-chairs/cosm-chair-high-back/2515455.html?lang=en_US#lang=en_US&start=1

It kinda LOOKS like the office-chair equivalent of the Setu lounge chair:
https://store.hermanmiller.com/living/lounge-chairs-and-ottomans/setu-lounge-chair/2319.html?lang=en_US#lang=en_US&start=1

Which, I can't be 100% sure, but I think the store I bought my wife's Aeron from had an area with like 4x Setu around a coffee table, and it was THE MOST comfortable thing I think I've ever sat in. Granted, I was only sitting in it for a few minutes, and it was impossible to try and get out of, but drat.

Just figured I'd see if there were any Goon Opinions on it; I'm not quite in the market to purchase anything yet, but I'm getting closer every day. (Of course, I'll want to wait until I can go back to the store and try sitting in stuff, so . . . it may be a long, long time yet.)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I bought a Steelcase Leap chair almost 10 years ago through an employee discount program (it was still $500-ish).

Over the years it feels like the seat cushion has almost completely compacted. Does anyone know if it's possible to replace it or get the cushion replaced by someone who does upholstery work?

Do I have any other options? Working from home is becoming very uncomfortable, but the chair is in otherwise fine condition.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

MetaJew posted:

I bought a Steelcase Leap chair almost 10 years ago through an employee discount program (it was still $500-ish).

Over the years it feels like the seat cushion has almost completely compacted. Does anyone know if it's possible to replace it or get the cushion replaced by someone who does upholstery work?

Do I have any other options? Working from home is becoming very uncomfortable, but the chair is in otherwise fine condition.

Surprisingly, Google isn't helping me at all here. However! I have a garbage-tier (well, $300 new) OfficeMax chair, and calling the manufacturer directly, I was able to replace the seat-back for $75 (the seat pan developed a failure in the lean-back mechanism like 4 months later and I was pretty disappointed by that but welp)

What I am saying is that you might just consider calling SteelCase directly and seeing what they offer. I can't imagine they don't offer this as a service part.

Worst-case scenario, I managed to fix a friend's kitchen chair once by taking the cardboard-backed cushion off, unstapling the fabric, replacing the cardboard with plywood, and pulling the fabric tight again and stapling it back in place. If it's as terrible as you say, you might be able to pop the cushion off and put new foam under the fabric.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Zarin posted:

Surprisingly, Google isn't helping me at all here. However! I have a garbage-tier (well, $300 new) OfficeMax chair, and calling the manufacturer directly, I was able to replace the seat-back for $75 (the seat pan developed a failure in the lean-back mechanism like 4 months later and I was pretty disappointed by that but welp)

What I am saying is that you might just consider calling SteelCase directly and seeing what they offer. I can't imagine they don't offer this as a service part.

Worst-case scenario, I managed to fix a friend's kitchen chair once by taking the cardboard-backed cushion off, unstapling the fabric, replacing the cardboard with plywood, and pulling the fabric tight again and stapling it back in place. If it's as terrible as you say, you might be able to pop the cushion off and put new foam under the fabric.

Bold part: Google is very weird about servicing Steelcase chairs for some reason. I also have the piston dragging against the floor and finding a fix for that was not easy. Ultimately i tturned out there was a local supplier/distributer and they gave me some free shims to raise the piston up slightly but I never got around to it. Partly because I couldn't seem to separate the piston from the base. At the time when I got the shims, the parts person told me they would fix it for free if I wanted to drop the chair off. When I discovered I couldn't separate the chair from the piston and called back to have them do it for me, the previous employee was gone and the new one told me they had a minimum one service visit for $80 to diagnose the problem and then they might fix it for me. So, I need to figure out how to get those shims in someday.

Regarding the seat, I also couldn't find any documentation about disassembly or replacement. I know with most furniture, it's like you said, you could remove the seat and fabric and staple in some new padding-- but the assembly of this chair seems more complicated.

I had been dragging my feet on calling Stealcase, but I will probably do as you suggested. Thanks for confirming that it wasn't just my bad google-fu.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

MetaJew posted:

Bold part: Google is very weird about servicing Steelcase chairs for some reason. I also have the piston dragging against the floor and finding a fix for that was not easy. Ultimately i tturned out there was a local supplier/distributer and they gave me some free shims to raise the piston up slightly but I never got around to it. Partly because I couldn't seem to separate the piston from the base. At the time when I got the shims, the parts person told me they would fix it for free if I wanted to drop the chair off. When I discovered I couldn't separate the chair from the piston and called back to have them do it for me, the previous employee was gone and the new one told me they had a minimum one service visit for $80 to diagnose the problem and then they might fix it for me. So, I need to figure out how to get those shims in someday.

Regarding the seat, I also couldn't find any documentation about disassembly or replacement. I know with most furniture, it's like you said, you could remove the seat and fabric and staple in some new padding-- but the assembly of this chair seems more complicated.

I had been dragging my feet on calling Stealcase, but I will probably do as you suggested. Thanks for confirming that it wasn't just my bad google-fu.

That got me thinking, and this gets you part of the way there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCy1ErJG15s

I'm gonna keep looking on YouTube now, but figured I'd throw something out there to get started.

Edit: Looks like removing the cylinder from the base requires a hammer (which, in my experience, is not at all surprising):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft1_d9zaWN8

There's a ton of this stuff on YouTube, so I bet if you called SteelCase, you could price out changing the plastic seatpan+cushion vs. just trying to pry it apart and putting new/more/different foam under the fabric.

Edit2: Hell, that Crandall Furniture place might be worth calling to see what they can do for you as well. Props to them for all those how-to videos.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 22, 2020

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Zarin posted:

That got me thinking, and this gets you part of the way there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCy1ErJG15s

I'm gonna keep looking on YouTube now, but figured I'd throw something out there to get started.

Edit: Looks like removing the cylinder from the base requires a hammer (which, in my experience, is not at all surprising):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft1_d9zaWN8

There's a ton of this stuff on YouTube, so I bet if you called SteelCase, you could price out changing the plastic seatpan+cushion vs. just trying to pry it apart and putting new/more/different foam under the fabric.

Edit2: Hell, that Crandall Furniture place might be worth calling to see what they can do for you as well. Props to them for all those how-to videos.

Wow! Thanks for finding these!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Large casters are expensive but a good option if you're using your chair on carpet.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Does anyone know a good place to buy a new embody? The herman miller website itself always seems so much more expensive.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Skyarb posted:

Does anyone know a good place to buy a new embody? The herman miller website itself always seems so much more expensive.

jamie@officedesigns.com

This guy can get your 15% percent off and free shipping which is the best I could find. Tell him Jeremy sent you.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

~Coxy posted:

Large casters are expensive but a good option if you're using your chair on carpet.

You can get the cool rollerblade casters on Amazon for like 30.

I recently snagged a bamboo floor mat from Costco for like $40. Have not tested it out yet.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Skyarb posted:

Noooo don't do it get a Gesture instead!

Moey posted:

You can get the cool rollerblade casters on Amazon for like 30.

I recently snagged a bamboo floor mat from Costco for like $40. Have not tested it out yet.

I bought these awhile a go and can't be bothered to actually install them. Yes I am very lazy.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Good to see OfficeDesigns is still killin’ it. That’s where I got mine more than 10 years ago. And looking it up sounds like I still have over a year and a half of warranty left!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Would it be insane to buy a Gesture w/ headrest sight unseen directly from Steelcase? Seems like they have 30 day free return, which I assume would just involve paying for shipping, which probably isn't cheap.