Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lmao dark sky announced its corporate acquisition in-app on my iPad like it was a loving tornado warning :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
In PowerPoint on Windows there's an option to record the slide show, and include video and audio.

Thanks to Corona I now have to record all my lectures, but my laptop is terrible, so right now I have to come into work to use my work computer and webcam.

Keynote will let me record audio, but I'd like to record video as well. The iOS PPT app doesn't support either as far as I can tell.

Are there any other presentation apps that would let me record video of myself along with a presentation?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can you not take your webcam home to use with your laptop?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Sri.Theo posted:

Can you not take your webcam home to use with your laptop?

The laptop is about seven years old and barely runs. I tried bringing the webcam home but recording video on it stutters and it takes a ridiculously long time to process the video. My mother used it for a few years and gave it to me instead of tossing it, and I have never even really used it because I primarily use my iPad as my portability option. The laptop is in serious need of replacement.

Since I’ve been needing to upgrade something soon this is sorta the decider. If I can figure out how to record PiP (picture in PowerPoint!?) style the plan is to just go ahead and buy a new iPad. If not I will have to buy a new laptop altogether.

Or I’ll just have to wear pants every day and go to work. Yuck.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Newtek has made their professional iOS apps free,

Camera
https://www.newtek.com/software/ndi-camera/
Lets you convert the front(or rear) camera into a NDI HX video feed

Capture
https://www.newtek.com/software/ndi-capture/
Lets you convert the screen into a NDI HX video feed

Then you use newtek ndi tools to expose the feeds to your computer. On windows, ndi tools include a virtual web cam that uses those apps to receive video. At maximum settings the iOS apps will stream at 1080p/30fps so as a webcam it's better than average.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 6, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

Capture

Thanks for the information.

I tried downloading the MacOS tools, but I keep getting this frustrating message:

Anyone have any ideas? I've turned off all extensions (incl. adblockers) and still get it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Proteus Jones posted:

Thanks for the information.

I tried downloading the MacOS tools, but I keep getting this frustrating message:

Anyone have any ideas? I've turned off all extensions (incl. adblockers) and still get it.

The download button calls a small popup, maybe some cookie block is stopping it from appearing?

EDIT: the tools package for mac is http://new.tk/NDITOOLSAPPLE and the HX driver is http://new.tk/NDIHX-Driver-OSX if you can't manage to skip the form

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 6, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

The download button calls a small popup, maybe some cookie block is stopping it from appearing?

EDIT: the tools package for mac is http://new.tk/NDITOOLSAPPLE and the HX driver is http://new.tk/NDIHX-Driver-OSX if you can't manage to skip the form

Thanks!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

SlowBloke posted:

Newtek has made their professional iOS apps free,

Camera
https://www.newtek.com/software/ndi-camera/
Lets you convert the front(or rear) camera into a NDI HX video feed

Capture

Then you use newtek ndi tools to expose the feeds to your computer. On windows, ndi tools include a virtual web cam that uses those apps to receive video. At maximum settings the iOS apps will stream at 1080p/30fps so as a webcam it's better than average.
How much of a resource hog on the PC is the NDI Tools software? The installer was bigger than I'd expect for a video feed receiver so I'm worried that it'll be running a whole host of professional tools at the same time on my PC when all I need is a webcam.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can we have a single pissing day where the Facebook layout doesn't change for no apparent reason? Constantly feels like it's being messed with, and yesterday was the worst of the lot with a giant F button appearing in the middle of the button bar, which has thankfully now disappeared. I expect it'll be back though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm all for split test and controlled incremental testing but yeah that big blue F button navbar is reeeeally out there and weird to push your auxiliary dumping ground menu as the main destination in the app.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Protip: Uninstall facebook app and don't look back. The mobile site works fine.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

withak posted:

Protip: Uninstall facebook app and don't look back. The mobile site works fine.

You were so close until that last part

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Question Mark Mound posted:

How much of a resource hog on the PC is the NDI Tools software? The installer was bigger than I'd expect for a video feed receiver so I'm worried that it'll be running a whole host of professional tools at the same time on my PC when all I need is a webcam.

While idle i'm seeing about 5MB of used ram and less than 1% cpu(on a i7-6700), zero network usage

While casting the webcam i'm seeing 250mb of ram, 5-7% cpu and 25Mbps of used network

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

withak posted:

Protip: Uninstall Deactivate facebook app and don't look back. The mobile site works fine.
Made some minor fixes for you

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Most of what I do on Facebook is get mad at the lovely mobile game ads, or get mad at people who say dumb poo poo.

I don’t post anything and I hardly interact with anything, the only reason I have it is because my wife tags me in stuff. Push notifications don’t work for whatever reason so that’s hardly even a good enough reason to keep it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m looking for a napping app that ideally detects (well, best estimate) when I’ve fallen asleep and then automatically wakes me up say 30 minutes later. I have a Watch as well. Does such an app exist?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Really upset the dev of mutter stopped. I still use it as my primary IRC client. Does anyone recommend anything else? I hear things about Palaver but dunno if it's got dark mode which is a deal breaker.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Housh posted:

Really upset the dev of mutter stopped. I still use it as my primary IRC client. Does anyone recommend anything else? I hear things about Palaver but dunno if it's got dark mode which is a deal breaker.

I like IRCCloud but I know that’s not everyone’s jam. I like the consistent cursor between clients though.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Housh posted:

I also miss Mutter. I bought every culex client under $10 and Igloo is the closest to mutter.

The dev is apparently a terrible person. Worth a google.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
MiniKeePass is apperantly disappearing. What’s a good free alternative?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

von Braun posted:

Dev is being a huge jerk about it too with a nag screen every time you start up the app so lol if you accidentally updated an app that hasn't been updated in 3 years. It's cool if they want out but goddamn that's a crappy way to cut off your users.

Unfortunately the two main alternatives, Strongbox and KeePassium are $25 for a lifetime purchase (and we know forever is never actually forever). They do seem like well done, well supported apps though. Keeping in mind I haven't actually tried either yet, KeePassium seems better if you decide to go free as Strongbox doesn't allow FaceID/TouchID unless you pay up (but it has better ratings than KeePassium).

Everything else out there looks pretty goddamn sketchy.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I used KyPass for a while when I used to use KeePass. If you can spare $10 a year Bitwarden is awesome otherwise.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

von Braun posted:

I use the free version of KeePassium and it mostly works for me(sometimes cloud sync fucks up but that’s mostly due to OneDrive getting drunk).

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

MyKi is nice.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What is everyone who switched from Fantastical using now?

I’ve been back and forth with their support since the big update (they usually take at least two weeks to respond each time) but there are always bugs and I’m getting pretty sick of it all.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Red_Fred posted:

What is everyone who switched from Fantastical using now?

I’ve been back and forth with their support since the big update (they usually take at least two weeks to respond each time) but there are always bugs and I’m getting pretty sick of it all.

I bought Calendar 366 and it does everything I need, with the minor annoyance that the event dictation/natural language parsing gets hung up on AM vs PM and I have to correct it manually for afternoon events before saving

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Posted this in the iPad thread, but this might be a more appropriate place:

I’ve been using Terminus to do some SSH stuff on my iPad, and it largely works great. The only thing bothering me so far is that I can’t select and copy/paste text from within terminal windows easily. Does anyone know if other apps like Prompt allow this? That might be enough for me to switch...

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I keep Fanatastical around for the calendar widget and that’s it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I am losing my mind over the watch complication just checking it every update.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Still waiting for my gmail dark mode.

Edit I’ve submitted feedback every month for the last 3 months asking for it lol.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I ended up just keeping using Fantastical, it didn't seem to remove any features I used before and it stopped nagging me about subscribing so it's pretty much fine now.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

tuyop posted:

I am losing my mind over the watch complication just checking it every update.

For Fantastical? Yeah that’s one of my current issues is the sync between my Watch and phone.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mine's been working fine, but I think I had to create an account on their cloud/web thing before it did. I'm pretty sure I found something on their website on how to fix the watch sync issue.

e: Yeah, here it is

https://flexibits.com/support/kb/156

quote:

If you're having Apple Watch issues:

If your Apple Watch is stuck in a red sync arrow, this should be fixed in Fantastical 3.0.6. You need to update your app and you should also restart your phone and watch after installing it to get it to work. Also, make sure you've signed up for a free Flexibits account and logged into it on your iPhone. Also make sure that you've signed into your Calendar accounts in Fantastical on your iPhone as well. Let us know if you're still having trouble.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 24, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Are 3rd complications still limited to updating once every 15ish minutes?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

For Fantastical? Yeah that’s one of my current issues is the sync between my Watch and phone.

:shepspends:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah that's the problem I had. I'm not sure if that covers a panoply of issues, but the bit from the Flexibits' KB is what helped me (my post just above). Specifically the bolded part.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

SlowBloke posted:

I use the free version of KeePassium and it mostly works for me(sometimes cloud sync fucks up but that’s mostly due to OneDrive getting drunk).

Tried this and it looks nice! Thanks

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fantastical support came back to me yesterday to say “oh yeah sorry should have mentioned that there are still some bugs with Watch synching...” gently caress dude. Why didn’t you just say that from the outset?

It seems when the apps break the only fix is their weeklyish updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah that's the problem I had. I'm not sure if that covers a panoply of issues, but the bit from the Flexibits' KB is what helped me (my post just above). Specifically the bolded part.

I gave signing out and in again a go and it seems to have fixed it for now! Thanks.