Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Is that what was happening?? I just kept seeing "immune" pop up when I was shooting him and didn't know why. I guess Barrett's normal attacks really only do 1-2 damage a lot of the time? I figured they were just being super huge assholes about letting you damage him when he's in the no-touchy phase.

I just don't get the disconnect they had in some of the fight designs. The battle system is fun and pretty interesting, the combat animations feel satisfying, filling up the ATB by performing regular attacks puts a certain tension into your choices. And most of the enemies take advantage of the system and you feel good when you get everything down and stagger them and unleash all your best abilities. But then they use mechanics like "some enemies you can only hit with ranged attacks" that just don't play into that battle system at all, or actively stop you from using the system because you can't do anything to build ATB.

That was my experience too; i saw "immune" to all of the ranged attacks and assumed I must have been missing some mechanic or something. Are you supposed to just keep plinking through until he falls or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

That was my experience too; i saw "immune" to all of the ranged attacks and assumed I must have been missing some mechanic or something. Are you supposed to just keep plinking through until he falls or something?

I just cast Thunder at him a lot during that time. You can plink him with Barret to build up ATB and then tag him with Thunder to put more pressure on and that made him fall a lot faster.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think so, but I only got him to a little past 1/2 HP last night before I had to go to bed. I got him to stagger during one of his rare swoops down through the battlefield when Tifa and Cloud got to hit him a little bit, and then he started flying again and went into Tidal Wave to wipe me.

I'm not sure if he went invincible after he got to 50%, but even during the stagger he wasn't taking much damage. That's my other major complaint with the fight designs, the invincibility when a boss changes phases. It feels like a significant chunk of them have HP breakpoints that just coincidentally line up with their stagger meter filling up, so you get to waste what should be your rewarding damage phase on a cutscene and an invincibility period. I think they could have used a bit more playtesting to see just how often that happens, like someone should have pointed out "hey, this boss goes invincible after he takes 5000 damage, and most of our playtesters are getting him staggered after they deal 4950."

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Steadfast Block on your non-ranged characters really helps a lot in a lot of Hard Mode fights, especially Leviathan.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I wish I could play the whole game with Tifa, she's just so much fun. Although I spent my entire normal mode wondering if I was going to get something other than Ray of Judgement that would increase stagger damage and never realized that Tifa's triangle abilities do exactly that.

My only complaint about the combat system has been that trying to target specific bodyparts without using manual targeting can be frustrating.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Replaying and noticed Barret calls Cloud "stamp" like a rubber stamp insult at the beginning but didn't realize he's also presumably referencing the dog name.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

night slime posted:

Replaying and noticed Barret calls Cloud "stamp" like a rubber stamp insult at the beginning but didn't realize he's also presumably referencing the dog name.

"Stamp scared to bite the hand that fed him? Or is he a loyal little doggie!?" is a dog reference, for sure

I enjoy the detail that he's probably picked up that reference from watching the cartoon with Marlene, it would be like him making a Paw Patrol reference in real life

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

He's absolutely talking about the dog, Marlene is way into the dog so Barret talking about stamp is like a dad making Paw Patrol references that other adults don't get

night slime
May 14, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"Stamp scared to bite the hand of the master that fed him?" is a dog reference, for sure

Yeah, it was just weird because I realized I had heard it at the first playthrough and (incorrectly) was like what the hell is he talking about, great translation Square :smug:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Yeah they didn't bother to introduce Stamp as Shinra propaganda until after that line. It was weird.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah they didn't bother to introduce Stamp as Shinra propaganda until after that line. It was weird.

There's a poster in the train station hidden in one corner that let's you see him before he's introduced, but yeah. It's super missable, and in the demo, I thought Stamp was some slang thing I'd never heard about.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Barret is right, it is catchy corporate propaganda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S90SN-l77JM&t=21s

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Well gently caress, never getting that out of my head.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
You need the version with Lyrics, because the singer seems to have some sort of speech impediment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xSrhbUH4OQ

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
they're probably just a native Japanese speaker

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah thats just, uh, what a japanese person singing in english sounds like unless theyre pretty fluent in english or really good at faking it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

they're probably just a native Japanese speaker

This made me wonder "Is there a Japanese version of the song?"

Yes. Yes, there is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqGP12HwPGc

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Endorph posted:

Yeah thats just, uh, what a japanese person singing in english sounds like unless theyre pretty fluent in english or really good at faking it.

Well, apologies if that's the case. It didn't really sound like she had an accent; she almost sounds like Pontius Pilate from Life of Brian, with "w" sounds all over the place where they shouldn't be.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 23, 2020

night slime
May 14, 2014
Cloud head bobbing animation should be disabled for that. No way anyone hears their old workplace's theme song and starts dancing to it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Barret is right, it is catchy corporate propaganda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S90SN-l77JM&t=21s

The best corporate doggo needs only the best theme.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Phenotype posted:

I guess Barrett's normal attacks really only do 1-2 damage a lot of the time?

Barret's normal attack is a combo, and just like the other characters' only does significant damage if you finish the combo. He shoots for tiny damage really fast and then finishes with a bigger hit that does most of the damage/ATB gain. Assuming you hold down the button.

night slime
May 14, 2014
After finishing the game I finally noticed when Barret's square attack goes to reload you can press triangle for the animation to cancel out for the charge. It seems to take the same amount of time.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

theres a lot of really good ways to cancel animations in this and its probably the single biggest reason the combat feels so good

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

night slime posted:

After finishing the game I finally noticed when Barret's square attack goes to reload you can press triangle for the animation to cancel out for the charge. It seems to take the same amount of time.

You can cancel it with a full Overcharge too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sharrrk posted:

theres a lot of really good ways to cancel animations in this and its probably the single biggest reason the combat feels so good

yeah a lot of other square enix games were kinda terrified of letting you cancel animations and thats why they felt sorta clunky.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Tried switching things up a little on the Chadley run. Put Ice Elemental on Tifa, replaced Aerith with Barret, put Fire Elemental on him. Well, that made things marginally quicker getting up to Bahamut, since Barret deals with Leviathan much more efficiently. Then Bahamut decided to just spam multiple Divebombs until everyone was wiped. asdgsg

I've noticed I'm actually getting fairly close to killing Bahamut before I even stagger him, but I have to divert my attention to Ifrit when he appears, and I never quite have enough for Limits by the time that happens (otherwise I could just nuke Ifrit off the face of the earth). Leaving Ifrit alone means he walks around and punches everyone to death.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

night slime posted:

You get bonus charge for doing it that way, too.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Just really struggled through (chapter 17) rufus final phase. I could barely get any damage in or build atb as none of his attacks seemed blockable and he was almost always able to counter me. Was I missing a trick here? I tried attacking when he reloaded but the window was really small and he still countered me loads anysay

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mainwaring posted:

Just really struggled through (chapter 17) rufus final phase. I could barely get any damage in or build atb as none of his attacks seemed blockable and he was almost always able to counter me. Was I missing a trick here? I tried attacking when he reloaded but the window was really small and he still countered me loads anysay

focused thrust knocks him off his feet and procs his Pressure bar. i heard that hitting him with Braver while he's reloading ends the fight instantly but he's a zippy bastard so i never tried it

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Braver will do the trick, but yeah, you kind of have to launch it right before he starts reloading. Which he'll generally do whenever he shoots.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The reloading is predictable, count the number of gun attacks

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

night slime posted:

Yeah there seem to be a bunch of little tricks like that the game doesn't explicitly tell you about. Like when you switch cloud to punisher stance, the animation that plays is actually a counter attack window, so if you have proper Gamer Reflexes you can pull off some sick moves.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Half of Tifa's attack moves are meant to be cancelled/chained together to look cool as hell and also put extra pressure on enemies because you'll juggle them. Uppercut -> Divekick is the simplest of them.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

Braver will do the trick, but yeah, you kind of have to launch it right before he starts reloading. Which he'll generally do whenever he shoots.

I found a bog-standard fire spell sets him up for a combo.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Mainwaring posted:

Normal blocking during Operator mode will still reduce the damage of almost all of his attacks. Obviously blocking ranged attacks in punisher mode does nothing. You mostly want to block and try to keep him as close as possible. For me, he seemed to reload every two attacks or so, and if he's close enough that you can use Braver right away and hit him, it'll stagger him instantly.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Schwartzcough posted:

Normal blocking during Operator mode will still reduce the damage of almost all of his attacks. Obviously blocking ranged attacks in punisher mode does nothing. You mostly want to block and try to keep him as close as possible. For me, he seemed to reload every two attacks or so, and if he's close enough that you can use Braver right away and hit him, it'll stagger him instantly.

Well poo poo I completely forgot that punisher mode disables ranged blocking and just assumed I must not be able to block anything, that would have made it much easier to charge the atb I needed to actually use braver

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

my first time fighting rufus i would unload all of the various grenades and bombs and other items id picked up through the entire game and never used so that i could conserve my mp lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Remake 2 should have Chrono Trigger-style techs, burn an ATB for two characters to do combo attacks

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

yeah i'd like to see team attacks also, itd make sense to add

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mainly inspired by this gif
https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1252014813477244932