Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Fezz posted:

I think the Flintstones is a good one to cover since it's the big prime time animated sitcom that influenced so many other things cartoon and otherwise. Could do a split episode with 80s trash, the Flintstone Kids.

All the turtles talk in this week's Talking Simpsons and I can't believe they haven't done TMNT yet. They could make it a theme month with all the reboots and the movie, not to mention that Japanese OVA or the movie.

There's so many wierd shows from my childhood that would be great episodes. poo poo like Turbo Teen, Dinosaucers, Kidd Video, Dungeons and Dragons, Captain N, all sorts, that if I had the money I'd subject Bob and Henry too. Even good things like Pirates of Dark Water. The well is truly bottomless.

Anyone else have cartoons they want the WAC crew to dissect and discuss?

I would love to hear them do a regular WAC on Bakshi’s Mighty Mouse and then a movie episode on either Fritz the Cat or Coonskin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Fezz posted:

I think the Flintstones is a good one to cover since it's the big prime time animated sitcom that influenced so many other things cartoon and otherwise. Could do a split episode with 80s trash, the Flintstone Kids.

All the turtles talk in this week's Talking Simpsons and I can't believe they haven't done TMNT yet. They could make it a theme month with all the reboots and the movie, not to mention that Japanese OVA or the movie.

There's so many wierd shows from my childhood that would be great episodes. poo poo like Turbo Teen, Dinosaucers, Kidd Video, Dungeons and Dragons, Captain N, all sorts, that if I had the money I'd subject Bob and Henry too. Even good things like Pirates of Dark Water. The well is truly bottomless.

The Turtles Forever crossover (in which the 2003 TMNT team up with their 1987 counterparts) was fantastic and I'd love to hear them talk about it, although the drama that prevented the original 1987 VAs from returning is souring me a bit on it in hindsight.

Outside of the Hanna-Barbera stuff I mentioned, Reboot would have been at the top of my list if they hadn't just covered it. I also hope they do Bojack Horseman eventually, even if I know Bob has mixed feelings about watching it. In a similar vein, Tuca & Bertie would be great.

As far as movies are concerned, I'd love if they did one of the Asterix movies. Twelve Tasks was my favorite as a kid, though Cleopatra is a close second. It'd also be really interesting if they did Yellow Submarine, though that one seems unlikely to win any Patreon polls (in addition to barely having any plot to cover at all).

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Fezz posted:

The three cartoons I wanted to see the most on WAC were all actually covered in the last few months and it's still blowing my mind a little.

I figured ReBoot would have come up sooner or later just for its historical position as one of the first all-CG tv shows. Utena is really good anime, but between the abundant stock footage, the dense allegorical nonsense, and the very distressing abuse themes, it's a hard loving sell. CyberSix is the show I never thought would make it in. It's twelve episodes, it's a weird Canadian/Japanese/Argentinian collaboration and I think fifteen people watched it. The original comic was so obscure I could only find it in French and I think it ended on a cliffhanger. And the creators are both dead. So I'm not getting more of that literally ever.

Anyway, now that the top three shows on my wish list made it in, I'm going to suggest only really weird poo poo that I'm not sure existed, or anyone liked.

Or weird poo poo from the National Film Board of Canada. One of the cable channels used to have a late night show that was just compilations of weird Canadian animated shorts. Some of it was just, like, cute cartoons but some of it was really experimental mediums like sand-on-glass or it was the artist exorcising their own personal demons onto a film strip. I watched it when I was pretty young and it probably hosed me up a little.

Anyway I said that so I could post this:

https://youtu.be/upsZZ2s3xv8

Every Canadian over thirty just had flashbacks.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Like I've said before, I honestly just want them to watch the bad stuff. I just want to hear them suffer through everything that launched during the second cartoon boom in the early aughts, the stuff that everybody threw at the wall following the success of South Park, Family Guy and Adult Swim. I want to experience some kind of...sympathetic drift misery, about two decades removed from when I would watch any of those new "edgy" cartoon for at least a few minutes.

Barring that, I dunno....Doug? Doug is a show that sits firmly in a place where I watched it every day for about 2 years in the 7 PM rerun spot on Nickelodeon, to the point where you could describe any episode to me and I'd have a vague recollection of it - yet in hindsight I ask "Why did I ever watch that show?" It's a show about a nerd with social anxiety, which seems like it would be relatable...but I always hated Doug; nobody was watching Doug for Doug. Add the weird angle that Doug is literally the Only White Man in this entire world that he lives in, and suddenly there's a new layer to this crap. Still, I carry an odd nostalgia for it, plus I'd love to hear a two-parter where they breakdown what happened between Doug and Disney's Brand Spankin' New Doug. (I only remember watching one episode of Disney's Doug; it involved a scene where Doug turned the tables on his Dad by giving him The Sex Talk. I said "This is not the Doug I know" and didn't revisit it.)

YggiDee posted:

Or weird poo poo from the National Film Board of Canada. One of the cable channels used to have a late night show that was just compilations of weird Canadian animated shorts. Some of it was just, like, cute cartoons but some of it was really experimental mediums like sand-on-glass or it was the artist exorcising their own personal demons onto a film strip. I watched it when I was pretty young and it probably hosed me up a little.

Oh, Canada on Cartoon Network. I think that ran Sunday nights, either before or after ToonHeads, the show where they'd run three shorts with an animator/director/voice actor in common, with little trivia interstitials. What Oh, Canada taught me was that animators all over the world are kinda weird.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Fezz posted:

Undergrads

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Any of the cartoons written on the tombstones in that one Treehouse of Horror intro

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Cartoon All Stars really was the one white whale I needed them to cover and now I'm just on board for the ride, baby

JethroMcB posted:

Barring that, I dunno....Doug?

They've done Doug!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Unpack the psychosexual nightmare that is Totally Spies.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Thompsons posted:

Any of the cartoons written on the tombstones in that one Treehouse of Horror intro

Yeahhhh, Fish Police!

Fawf posted:

They've done Doug!

I was pretty sure they had! I stand by my "Deep dive on the differences between the two versions" stance!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man I'd love to hear them talk about something Allen Gregory of Sit Down Shut Up. Or the Napoleon Dynamite Cartoon.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

twistedmentat posted:

Man I'd love to hear them talk about something like Allen Gregory

Nobody should ever have to find that again, much less watch it.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
I don't know what could be said about the Battletech cartoon from the 90s, but I'm sure Henry and Bob would find something.

Or maybe Bots Master, but I don't think there is anything to be said about it.

Or more Charlie Brown specials! According to wikipedia there's two other Christmas-related specials (It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown, which I knew about and saw maybe 3 minutes of, and Charlie Brown's Christmas Tales, which is completely new to me), but I say go for the deep cut and do It's Arbor Day Charlie Brown.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

YggiDee posted:

Anyway I said that so I could post this:

https://youtu.be/upsZZ2s3xv8

Every Canadian over thirty just had flashbacks.

I hate you. Here's a palate cleanser(?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJl_4IsQJ2g

zari-gani posted:

Undergrads

This but unironically, I loved the show as a teen with bad taste.

Oh! I just thought of Digimon. There's likely no shortage of Internet people with Digimon opinions that they could have as a guest, too. The first and third seasons would be the obvious ones to cover, though I hear the new reboot is already way better than it has any right to be.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I would love to hear them talk about Tuca & Bertie.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Dino-Riders
Thundercats

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Eventually Bob will watch Bojack Horseman.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Nobody should ever have to find that again, much less watch it.

It would be fascinating to hear about the behind the scenes stuff on how it got made. Probably involves Jonah Hill having possession of blackmail dirt on execs.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'll always appreciate Allen Gregory for being indirectly responsible for the creation of Hollywood Handbook. Just as long as I don't have to actually watch it.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Fred is on posted:

This but unironically, I loved the show as a teen with bad taste.

Though I recognize it's...not good, I watched it a LOT since it was paired with Clone High. Bob and I went down a deep Undergrads hole one night and the backstory behind how it got made is actually pretty interesting. Too bad he'll never agree to cover it on WAC. I will make him watch a full ep one of these days though.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Srice posted:

I'll always appreciate Allen Gregory for being indirectly responsible for the creation of Hollywood Handbook. Just as long as I don't have to actually watch it.

Along those lines, I want (demand) Bob and Henry to locate and recap an episode of Murder Police, the animated series that Sean wrote for after Allen Gregory, and that Fox cancelled before it even aired. There are 13 fully animated, 22-minute episodes of the thing, never broadcast anywhere, existing in that same cartoon limbo as David Spade's Sammy. (I guess Disney owns it now, meaning it's even less likely to be found.)

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Road Rovers would be great. I loved that as a kid.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I want their next miniseries to be Talking Together, an exploration of every episode of every season of Drawn Together.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
The podcast Cancelled Too Soon covered Tuca and Bertie fairly recently. They covered several cartoon shows that WAC has done (Bucky O'Hare) and a few that would be right up Bob and Henry's alley, like the Star Wars Droids cartoon. They cover shows that lasted one season or less and I think fans of WAC would enjoy it.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I want Billy the Cat, Totally Spies and Angela Anaconda

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

xtal posted:

I want Billy the Cat, Totally Spies and Angela Anaconda

God Angela Anaconda is just one of the ugliest things ever produced. I’d love to hear them talk about it

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The same studio made a show called Punch! That used the same animation style to make lane jokes about celebraties.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

God Angela Anaconda is just one of the ugliest things ever produced. I’d love to hear them talk about it

The first dvd i ever owned was an episode of angela anaconda

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

The first dvd i ever owned was an episode of angela anaconda

Just the one, huh?
(Listening to the first Mission Hill episode reminded me that Henry+Bob should do the Baby Blues cartoon!)

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

As a kid I slept on the show because the art style was so so deep in the uncanny valley, but at some point years later I got bored enough to watch an episode and discovered I had been missing out.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

dovetaile posted:

Just the one, huh?
(Listening to the first Mission Hill episode reminded me that Henry+Bob should do the Baby Blues cartoon!)

It was probably 2 or 3 episodes, back when that was all dvds fit

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Listening to the interview with Jon Vitti and he's lightly praising Chicago School economics smh

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

brugroffil posted:

Listening to the interview with Jon Vitti and he's lightly praising Chicago School economics smh

They are Harvard guys, what do you expect? Good politics?

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Billy Gnosis posted:

They are Harvard guys, what do you expect? Good politics?

george meyer tho

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The stuff about how Kevin is that super booksmart but has zero live experience and emotional intelligence is like so many guys I grew up with. Plus pointing out how he's so uptight and is all "This bad thing is bad, only only bad people do it" is the road to becoming Ben Shapiro.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Fezz posted:

The podcast Cancelled Too Soon covered Tuca and Bertie fairly recently. They covered several cartoon shows that WAC has done (Bucky O'Hare) and a few that would be right up Bob and Henry's alley, like the Star Wars Droids cartoon. They cover shows that lasted one season or less and I think fans of WAC would enjoy it.

I gave a listen to a few of their episodes and I liked it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I can't wait for Hank and Bob to finally get to season 11. Between the redux and the schedule changes and the horrible Mission Hill I've been almost about to cancel my patreon monies but I haven't and this whole experience has taught me that I'm a whiny baby who won't put his money where his mouth is. I love you, Talking Simpsons!

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I've been watching along with Mission Hill, having never seen it before, and so far there's been a 50/50 split on which episodes I end up loving and which ones not so much. That's still a much better batting average than the Critic, though, which I just couldn't get into when they had it as a miniseries.

And either way, if you hate it, the good news is that once the miniseries is over, that'll be it for Mission Hill. :geno:

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Going to be honest, my reaction to Mission Hill was starting up the first episode before listening to the first podcast, watching for five minutes and not laughing once, and very confusedly stopping the episode and not going back.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What is it that's not grabbing you with Missiom Hill?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

twistedmentat posted:

PenisPenisPenis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Just... absolutely everything fell flat. It's been a while since I've felt that absolute nothing about a show before other than slight irritation about the topics at hand.