Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i'd respect someone who had a blank cheque to do whatever at work and keep getting paid no matter what if they just used the time to go travelling and send back postcards to the office, or set up their own workshop to tinker on personal projects, or even just spend all day loving around watching youtube. i don't understand why you have to be a weird creep or upset everyone who actually has to work for a living as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

graph posted:

has chairchat been had yet

my $100 officemax chair is not privy to weeks of this. tried to borrow my office chair but was in no way fitting in my car

leaning towards getting work to pay for a steelcase criterion. any feedback

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

DuckConference posted:

yeah I tried listening to his podcast with kara swisher and it sounded kind of like an AM radio talk show (except with a lot of name dropping by kara)

yeah i had to stop listening to this. before the election it was pretty ok and kara was awesome as usual but man politics has completely poisoned his mind

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

big scary monsters posted:

i'd respect someone who had a blank cheque to do whatever at work and keep getting paid no matter what if they just used the time to go travelling and send back postcards to the office, or set up their own workshop to tinker on personal projects, or even just spend all day loving around watching youtube. i don't understand why you have to be a weird creep or upset everyone who actually has to work for a living as well

Since I got the Parkinson's diagnosis I've been assigned WFH stuff more and more even though I am still fully capable of doing field work. I didn't ask for it and it's not like I'm not getting any work done, it's just that I've been transitioned into more of an administrative/advisory role that can be done remotely.

I frequently justify my existence and I'm still contributing, but I get a little paranoid about it. That being said my employer has literally never fired a manager in my position, and there are others who contribute far less.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Sagebrush posted:

weird that he would "keep getting turned down." most places have an up-or-out policy -- you have to apply for tenure after ~6 probationary years, and if you get it you're set, but if you don't you get one terminal year and then you're fired.

It may have been this. The story is almost 20 years old at this point and I wasn't an expert on the process.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Broken Machine posted:

it wouldn't surprise me to see tump & co use this as an opportunity to close down a lot of universities,

small colleges (under 1000ish total people) are already getting obliterated

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Broken Machine posted:

it wouldn't surprise me to see tump & co use this as an opportunity to close down a lot of universities, particularly public universities and colleges in the south. a poorly educated populace is easier to control. actually i'd be more surprised if they didn't

you wouldn't need to conspiracy theory this, the quarantines and reduced enrollment combined with massive economic recession will kill them pretty effectively

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

you wouldn't need to conspiracy theory this, the quarantines and reduced enrollment combined with massive economic recession will kill them pretty effectively

well, they could give stimulus money to the states to help them bail out their colleges, which they have yet to do. there's a lot of need for stimulus across the board, so if there's a state or sector of the economy they want to mess with, it's a perfect time to do so. landlords are fine because trump is a landlord, florida gets the support they need. colleges will not get what they need

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
isn't it mostly going to be private schools though? I don't see many state colleges/universities going under just because they have more recourses and are wealthier to begin with than Middle Of loving Nowhere Lutheran University

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

A bunch of newly closed universities sounds like it will lead to a golden age for lying on your resume

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

isn't it mostly going to be private schools though? I don't see many state colleges/universities going under just because they have more recourses and are wealthier to begin with than Middle Of loving Nowhere Lutheran University
sick new u/n lance

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

vermont already planned on closing three uvm campuses, but sanders asked them to hold off

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

hahaha

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

too symbolic imo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Broken Machine posted:

vermont already planned on closing three uvm campuses, but sanders asked them to hold off

new Hampshire is going to eat poo poo too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gently caress, my Bofors just ran out

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

bofor deez nuts

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

Lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

today i am wearing a gray button-down shirt and gray pants and flip-flops and am pacing in my 15x30 concrete patio. callin it gulag chic

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
kinda bored

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

today i am wearing a gray button-down shirt and gray pants and flip-flops and am pacing in my 15x30 concrete patio. callin it gulag chic
neutral rear end poo poo, drat

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

with enemies you know where they stand! with neutrals..

mystes
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

too symbolic imo
That's weird. In the a/b testing people vastly preferred it to the hamster wheel desk.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i took the day off tomorrow

hell yeah good screen all day

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hi YOSPOS! I don't generally post here, but right now GBS has a surprisingly educational and informative thread, "Niche software you love?"

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921033&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

We are learning about good software out there. YOSPOS people probably know even more and have a sense of how it can help. If it strikes your fancy, please pass along some YOSPOS wisdom. Thank you everyone, I love your cats.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

our discord had the video chat functionality rolled out and now i'm regretting throwing out my webcam years ago

also webcams are apparently sold out everywhere

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Pick posted:

Hi YOSPOS! I don't generally post here, but right now GBS has a surprisingly educational and informative thread, "Niche software you love?"

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921033&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

We are learning about good software out there. YOSPOS people probably know even more and have a sense of how it can help. If it strikes your fancy, please pass along some YOSPOS wisdom. Thank you everyone, I love your cats.

all software is garbage, op

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

xsv is pretty cool tho

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

We are learning about good software out there.

Here is a comprehensive list of all the good software ever created: https://live.sysinternals.com.

That is all of it. Everything else is garbage.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

w3m is a good text browser

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the govt may give us $1500 and i want to use it to buy a guitar

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Pick posted:

good software out there. YOSPOS people probably know even more

you came to the wrong place

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pick posted:

pandoc is p deece but all software is bad, op

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Thank you for the participation of YOSPOS regulars who solidly know more than us GBS denizens. We appreciate it!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Pick posted:

hi pick

how do you feel about steve jobs, do you ever wonder if wikileaks was accurate and that he was pozzed

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Slippery Tilde

echinopsis posted:

the govt may give us $1500 and i want to use it to buy a guitar

don't you have multiple children

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you can get a perfectly fine guitar for like 175 dollars now. fender and gibson are dead except for the boomer market. chinese shops have made big advances in milling, it's a real CNC Music Factory over there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

chinese shops have made big advances in milling, it's a real CNC Music Factory over there.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
srs i got this but in 5 string and long scale for 250 dollers and it is by far the best value i have ever seen