Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I’m not much of a fan of the old “hotblooded fighting boy that talks with his fists” protagonist, so I never got into Savers. It just never appealed to me much since most of the characters seemed like such tried and true shonen archetypes.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to lie and say that the other series weren’t filled with archetypical characters. It’s just that these particular ones didn’t appeal to me at all. The weak dub with its lousy music and edits didn’t help matters.

I do give it points for not being a copy of a previous season and much better than its immediate predecessor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm definitely calling bullshit on Masaru and the rest of the Savers cast not being at least 16 (with the exception of Ikuto).

But yeah Savers is weird for me- I first watched it in high school with fansubs and appreciated the darker tone it had and had it tied with tamers as my favorite series. But I rewatched it a couple of years ago and found that it really didn't hold up as well as it did in my head. I still like the characters, but there wasn't much appreciable character development outside of Ikuto and a bit of Thoma, and the wrap up during the final episode really sucked. I'd still consider it hood overall, but I'd put Tamers and Adventure above it at this point.

Julias fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 24, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Julias posted:

But yeah Savers is weird for me- I first watched it in high school with fansubs and appreciated the darker tone it had and had it tied with tamers as my favorite series. But I rewatched it a couple of years ago and found that it really didn't hold up as well as it did in my head. I still like the characters, but there wasn't much appreciable character development outside of Ikuto and a bit of Thoma, and the wrap up during the final episode really sucked. I'd still consider it hood overall, but I'd put Savers and Adventure above it at this point.
You'd put Savers over Savers?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Tamers is the best season of digimon. Fight me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Julias posted:

Why would I fight you for saying the truth?

If you want me to fight you say Frontier or Hunters.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Julias posted:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I could never give a poo poo about Henry but Tamers is good yeah.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Adventure 02.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Julias posted:

Tamers is the best Digimon series and it's not even close. Most interesting characters with excellent character development, amazing setting and compelling story, wonderful music, super cool cast of Digimon, the awesomely weird cyberpunk Digital World, goddamn Impmon, everything is the best.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

Adventure 02.

It doesn't cause me as much hate. I will absolutely think you have poo poo taste but I will not fight you for it.

Now if you say Tri that's a completely different matter.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

It doesn't cause me as much hate. I will absolutely think you have poo poo taste but I will not fight you for it.

Now if you say Tri that's a completely different matter.

If someone seriously said Tri was their favorite Digimon I think I'd be sad, rather than angry.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My favorite scene in Digimon is the lead-up to and fight with Vikemon and Rosemon. :colbert:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

My favorite scene in Digimon is the lead-up to and fight with Vikemon and Rosemon. :colbert:

Look, usually when people say "Tri is bad" they generally mean after 3

Mimi is God and deserves all support

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Why would I fight you for saying the truth?

Ridiculous, nobody likes Hunters.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Burkion posted:

:agreed:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Burkion posted:

Look, usually when people say "Tri is bad" they generally mean after 3

Mimi is easily the best Digimon character overall.

She's the only one who came out of 02 even stronger.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Mimi is easily the best Digimon character overall.

She's the only one who came out of 02 even stronger.

Rika and Eri are up there for me as well but otherwise yeah, agreed.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The best character is Kyoko.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

At least we can all agree that Digimon tends to have very good female characters.

It also has Izumi but you can't win them all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

At least we can all agree that Digimon tends to have very good female characters.

It also has Izumi but you can't win them all.

It’s almost funny just how badly Izumi got screwed over (seriously, you couldn’t even let her win her debut fight?)

Not entirely sure why they did that to be honest since in almost all other seasons (aside from maybe Xros Wars) the female characters are treated with at least a minimum level of respect.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
fuckit i'll fight, tamers is kinda fuckin boring.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I enjoy Savers quite a bit, but it's kinda lacking. It's fourth on my list, but I do appreciate it just trying to be different and landing somewhere pretty cool. Masaru is the epitome of this gag:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe3fKrPOs7E

Tamers is still definitely king, but Appmon is a strong second.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 24, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Oh yeah, my rating didn't include applimon since I haven't seen that yet :sweatdrop: well, with the simulwatch coming up we will see how that shakes things up.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

PMush Perfect posted:

Adventure 02.

The first arc with the Kaiser is really good and then it just takes a nosedive hard

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
02 doesn’t need a sequel as much as it needs a Sailor Moon Crystal Season 3 kind of remake, which, given Adventure: is in the longer form series slot (Gegege no Kitaro was two years and DB Super at least 3) might just be what’s gonna happen.

Course, it could just be three years (or just the one) of Tai and Pals, the whole todo of the world going bonkers has kinda thrown the show’s news cycle into a bin.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The best character is Kyoko.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ConanThe3rd posted:

02 doesn’t need a sequel as much as it needs a Sailor Moon Crystal Season 3 kind of remake, which, given Adventure: is in the longer form series slot (Gegege no Kitaro was two years and DB Super at least 3) might just be what’s gonna happen.

I really doubt we're getting an Adventure 22 or whatever, but I'd totally be in favor with a good revamp version of 02 because after my recent rewatch I tend to think it was on longer than it was off.

I would honestly argue that 02 is good up through episode 29. We had a good arc with the Digimon Kaiser as a villain, then we had a pretty great follow-up period as the cast try and figure out what to do now leading up to the big two-part fight in Giga House which establishes that yes, these kids are the Chosen Children now, they absolutely are the real deal, and they can stand on their own without the help from the old cast and be great purely on their own merits. One episode later it falls apart.

Once Black War Greymon shows up the series totally loses what little cohesion it had. Adventure 99 was pretty scattershot at points, but it came through when it needed to and knew how to keep forward momentum and had a pretty good idea of where it was going and what it wanted to be. Black War Greymon's arc is wholly representative of the show going forward because it absolutely cannot make up its mind about the villain from one episode to another, is he tragic or malicious? Can he be saved or is his very existence dangerous? What purpose do the Holy Stones really have? The show goes with all of the above all at once and ends on a pretty unsatisfying Deus ex Machina.

And that arc isn't an aberration. Later period 02 is trying to be about 4 or 5 different things at once and the whole thing comes unwound. The show cannot make up its mind who its villain is, how serious a threat said villains are, what role the characters should have in the world, how big/small the series should go, how it should spend its time, how important the new cast actually are versus the old cast, and what to do with any of its ongoing plot threads or big deal setting pieces. If 02 had narrowed down what it was going to be to one or two things it and actually committed I doubt it would have ended up the weird, sorry mess it was. Adventure 99 sure was no stranger to mildly confused structure and to randomly dropping in plot ideas that went nowhere, but that show at least had its eye on the ball.

02 is a fascinating mess, but it is absolutely a mess.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

Masaru is not only the oldest Digimon protagonist but also the only one that doesn’t own a pair of goggles (that I can remember anyway), it was kind of neat to have a season with a cast of mostly adults for a change (or kids in their late teens at least).

Yoshino is older than Masaru, and even then, Savers also has an old man as someone with a Digimon partner

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elfgames posted:

Tamera is my fav but I don't find this controversial, there are a lot of "characters talking in a room" moments

As you might tell by my av, I'm all over that kind of poo poo but it's not for everyone

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

It’s almost funny just how badly Izumi got screwed over (seriously, you couldn’t even let her win her debut fight?)

Not entirely sure why they did that to be honest since in almost all other seasons (aside from maybe Xros Wars) the female characters are treated with at least a minimum level of respect.

Even Nene gets more respect than Izumi. For why they did it...it's Frontier. No one but Takuya and Kouji get to be cool. Izumi isn't even the only one that couldn't win her debut fight, Tomoki also needed to get saved, but Izumi is even worse as the series continues. I will never forget when the Chosen just have to break a wall - that's it, not a dangerous Digimon, just a wall - in Cherubimon's castle, everyone else does it easily and Izumi bounces off the wall. It's meant to be funny but it's terrible.

Elfgames posted:

I don't completely disagree. The beginning of Tamers is really slow and honestly it kind of stops me from rewatching. Once you get through those first few episodes it becomes the best series in the goddamn franchise but those first few episodes are harsh.

About the 02 opinions, I'll honestly disagree. The Kaiser arc is the strongest moment in the series, sure, but it's not good. Even from there the series is clearly struggling to exist after Adventure, with plot devices that feel more like plot holes to get the Adventure children out of the way and Tailmon depowered. Characterization is incredibly weak for a Digimon show, with half of the cast being static and uninteresting (Daisuke, Takeru and Hikari - though Hikari wasn't good even in Adventure) and the other half having less importance than they should have (the proper new children, Miyako and Iori). Whenever characterization gets better, it's uneven and tends to last an episode, like Daisuke's doubts and issues with leadership (Deltamon and MetalGreymon fight, that's two episodes out of the whole series) and Takeru's darkness-induced PTSD (when he fought against Ken in his base and just before getting Shakkoumon, with HolyAngemon fighting BWGreymon - though this is after the Kaiser), despite how these make for really good characterization. Hell, even Hikari had one episode where her dumb deus ex machina powers (which are nearly non-existent in 02 anyways, leaving her with nothing since they substituted her personality in Adventure) actually are really interesting and the episode has this super creepy great feeling (of course, I'm talking about Konaka's Dagomon episode that went literally nowhere).

Armor Evolution is a fun gimmick and I like it but it doesn't really make up for how 02 fails as a basic story and likely would've been a lot better if it was allowed to stand on its own instead of being a sequel to a finished story. I still find 02 fun, don't get me wrong, but it's fun in a trainwreck way. Which is more than I can say about the Digimon seasons I genuinely do not like! (Frontier, Hunters, Tri)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Blackwargreymon arc of 02 is a miserable slog of the protagonists failing for like six episodes until a literal god shows up to end the fight.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Better than Frontier, where the equivalent arc basically ends in them just straight-up losing.

As for character age, I definitely understand the want for older characters in shows like Digimon. I think adolescence is such a core theme of Digimon, though, that I don't really mind the cast usually being teenage at most. I mean, the literal main transformation of the series is going from Child to Adult, which for most of the Digital World is permanent, but for the main cast is a temporary stepping up to the plate and demonstrating maturity in an unsure time and place. Honestly, as much as it would probably damage marketability, I'd love for the ability to hold Champion permanently to be a step along the power curve to help bring this motif full circle, reflecting when maturity is less the cast stepping up to the plate when needed and more a permanent facet of their character after all of their time spent in the Digital World.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The sad thing about Frontier is that on paper the whole Digimon Sentai team idea sounds kind of interesting (and lets the kids themselves take a more active role in the fighting) but in practice it basically becomes the Takuya and Kouji Show and the others are kind of pushed to the wayside (to varying degrees). The series also went on for way longer than it probably should have.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Duskmon plot is arguably Ken done more competently and Koichi is easily the most interesting of the Frontier cast, he just doesn't get to do poo poo after his face-turn.

The non-Cherubimon villains all kinda suck, too, though Mercurymon is unintentionally hilarious and Lucemon was fine when he was in Falldown Mode.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Frontier would have been less galling if it had been just Takuya and Koji. At least then we wouldn’t have had three three comedy relief team members alongside the useless, annoying Bokomon and Neemon. Only one of those three had anything resembling a decent fight record and he only got a handful of important victories.

That said, characterization and blatant writers favoritism are only part of the problems with that series.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Man nothing that tried to be Sentai worked at that time; Megaman Battle Network had a walls to the balls story that would have just worked as is but nope, gotta make NT Warrior a sentai series for reasons that elude me. :sigh:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I have fond-ish memories of Frontier up to about the Koji arc and then falling off hard. Like in retrospect the problems were always there but so far as "shows i watch before school" go it was enjoyable enough. AFter that is just a mix of haze, "this isnt great" and lost potential. Also wheel spinning...wasn't there like 12 episodes with the royal knights just winning.

I feel like that's a resounding review of it even from people who didn't usually watch digimon.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Man nothing that tried to be Sentai worked at that time; Megaman Battle Network had a walls to the balls story that would have just worked as is but nope, gotta make NT Warrior a sentai series for reasons that elude me. :sigh:

Honestly wonder if it turned into a cost cutting measure during Steam because jesus they seriously had 5 minutes of transformation sequences in this 20 minute show towards the end. And that was with 9 being stacked on screen at once (TWICE) for the grand finale.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

rannum posted:

I have fond-ish memories of Frontier up to about the Koji arc and then falling off hard. Like in retrospect the problems were always there but so far as "shows i watch before school" go it was enjoyable enough. AFter that is just a mix of haze, "this isnt great" and lost potential. Also wheel spinning...wasn't there like 12 episodes with the royal knights just winning.

Yup. The second half of the series follows a consistent format of
-Chosen Children get to new area
-Royal Knights appear
-Takuya and Koji fight the Royal Knights (the rest are depowered for their evolutions)
-Takuya and Koji lose
-Royal Knights take the Digicode of the new area

Repeat for basically the entirety of that half of the show until Lucemon appears. It's insufferable.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
More than any other digidestined the Frontier kids always seemed like they spent an inordinate amount of time getting their asses kicked, and the only solutions the writers ever came up with was to hand them a new evolution in the final hour. I actually really enjoyed the start of Frontier but it really starts to wear on you by the time they confront Cherubimon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
We got some new screens of Survive from Bandai Asia of all places. That first translation of Miu keeping a daydreaming Syakomon grounded was correct, weirdly enough. Also, based on these and older screenshots it looks like Syakomon's line will go Syakomon -> Shellmon -> MarineDevimon. I hope next month's V-Jump has more for it, but maybe not considering the V-Tamer/Adventure: special chapter is next month.

https://twitter.com/WithTheWill/status/1253634008165920768

Unrelated to Survive but I thought this was super dope:

https://twitter.com/lucaspapini3d/status/1253700214407512066

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 24, 2020