Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/Otakusatsu/status/1253286189093785602?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve been working through my Ultraman set again this week and I just love it so much. The monsters are all a hefty step down from the G-films but it makes everything so endearing.

Ultraman is a loving war criminal though, he will tear limbs and face flaps off of monsters without a second thought :stonk:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

drat, we are Lethal Weapon!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Every Godzilla movie should have at least one psychic human character

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

Every Godzilla movie should have at least one psychic human character

You are going to be so goddamn stoked about the Heisei era

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

*opens blinds*

drat. It's Godzilla.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Anti-Godzilla troops with anti-Godzilla bazookas is the coolest idea ever.

Burkion posted:

You are going to be so goddamn stoked about the Heisei era

If there's lots of psychics and they keep introducing and destroying new Super Xs I am going to be very happy

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know Miki?

She's the main character. Of all of them. The entire Heisei series is basically her relationship with Godzilla and how they raise a child together.

I am not joking

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Just finished Godzilla vs Biollante. It kicks rear end. My one big criticism is that there's not enough Biollante. Biollante is such a great monster design and suit/puppet, I wanted to see it gently caress up a city!

Burkion posted:

You know Miki?

She's the main character. Of all of them. The entire Heisei series is basically her relationship with Godzilla and how they raise a child together.

I am not joking

:yeshaha:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Biollante owns, Heisei owns, to hell with the perfectly valid criticisms of the entire series. I just love how insane they all are.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovie/status/1253485044175257600

:yikes:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm fine with Ghidorah being a spitefuck gently caress that eats people just because it can and not because it needs but jeez.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

^^^yikes

The Godzilla King of the Monsters Twitter account has been tweeting tidbits about the movie.

https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovie/status/1253497389123436544?s=19

https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovie/status/1253497315601465346?s=19

https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovie/status/1253496997308293122?s=19

https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovie/status/1253488336947175425?s=19

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The director is doing a live tweet of the movie right now

https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovie/status/1253492532354248704?s=20

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

This strikes me as somewhat...missing the point of the original movie, but hey.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

you missed the best tweet

https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovie/status/1253498314223259648?s=20

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

HannibalBarca posted:

This strikes me as somewhat...missing the point of the original movie, but hey.

Yeah... He didn't sacrifice his life to kill Godzilla, he did it to prevent anyone from making another Oxygen Destroyer.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The entire idea of using the oxygen destroyer in this movie is stupid and should never have been done.

So touching on it in an rear end backwards and ultimately incorrect way is similarly flawed

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Burkion posted:

The entire idea of using the oxygen destroyer in this movie is stupid and should never have been done.

So touching on it in an rear end backwards and ultimately incorrect way is similarly flawed

the two most recent American Godzilla movies have groaned under the weight of a contradiction: on the one hand, they both know that Godzilla is supposed to be "about something" and do their best to live up to that tradition...but on the other hand the messages of the most thematically important Japanese Godzilla movies are basically impossible to translate for a modern worldwide audience in a $200m blockbuster. So you end up with muddled attempts at depth that don't quite know what to do with Godzilla as a metaphor. G'14 keeps it mostly respectable (if bland), but KOTM goes off the deep end with all the alpha/literal king of the monsters stuff.

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 24, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovie/status/1253499833890963456?s=20

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovie/status/1253490415635857408

Kevin :lol: Mike Doherty definitely did his research and after reading this commentary I respect how much detail went into crafting KOTM even more.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

You may not like the film and you may not agree with his ideas, but you absolutely cannot deny that he's a true G-fan, with a ton of love for the franchise.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HannibalBarca posted:

the two most recent American Godzilla movies have groaned under the weight of a contradiction: on the one hand, they both know that Godzilla is supposed to be "about something" and do their best to live up to that tradition...but on the other hand the messages of the most thematically important Japanese Godzilla movies are basically impossible to translate for a modern worldwide audience in a $200m blockbuster. So you end up with muddled attempts at depth that don't quite know what to do with Godzilla as a metaphor. G'14 keeps it mostly respectable (if bland), but KOTM goes off the deep end with all the alpha/literal king of the monsters stuff.

You’re a wild dude if you think Godzilla as a metaphor for the rejection of the nuclear family in the form of your resurrected dad taking you away from your kid so you can kill several thousand other kids with incendiary grenades is respectable and bland

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

DeimosRising posted:

You’re a wild dude if you think Godzilla as a metaphor for the rejection of the nuclear family in the form of your resurrected dad taking you away from your kid so you can kill several thousand other kids with incendiary grenades is respectable and bland

that's certainly one way of looking at things

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

MrMojok posted:

You may not like the film and you may not agree with his ideas, but you absolutely cannot deny that he's a true G-fan, with a ton of love for the franchise.

Probably why he was a bad choice to make a Godzilla film.

Godzilla fans don't like Godzilla

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

UmOk posted:

Godzilla fans don't like Godzilla
I would like to hear more about this if it isn't inconvenient, either with more words or links.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MrMojok posted:

UmOk's right, though; the result of his fandom is that he completely misunderstands the original Gojira. Like, picture a version of the 1954 film where Godzilla isn't killed... and that's already the premise of Godzilla vs. Megaguirus: The G Annihilation Strategy (which is basically just a pointlessly extended alternate ending where they use a "black hole gun" instead of an "oxygen destroyer").

Even the makers of that dire movie remembered that there have always been multiple Godzillas. Remember: "I can't believe that Godzilla was the last of its species. If nuclear testing continues, then someday, somewhere in the world... another Godzilla may appear." The implied outcome if Serizawa doesn't kill Godzilla is that more and more Godzillas will emerge, taking over the Earth, while humanity will be forced to live in darkness if they survive at all.

But, more importantly, the actual point of the tragic ending is that Serizawa is even more afraid of being tortured into building weapons for some world power (most likely the Americans). This is the worse outcome than the above; capitalist countries like America are on track to destroy the ecosystem, first causing the death of all marine life. That's the irony of the old legends mistakenly fearing that the demon Gojira will eat all the fish. In actuality, the danger comes from the Oxygen Destroyer and related monsters like Hedorah (who feeds on pollution).

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 25, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The entire third act conflict of Shin is preventing America from nuking Japan again.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

The entire third act conflict of Shin is preventing America from nuking Japan again.

Sort of. It's implied (or maybe outright stated? don't remember) that China and Russia are the ones chomping at the bit to nuke Tokyo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The point of nuclear superpowers being the real threat still stands.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Drakyn posted:

I would like to hear more about this if it isn't inconvenient, either with more words or links.

Meme for idiots said by idiots

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

CelticPredator posted:

Meme for idiots said by idiots

don't sign your posts

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

well the only argument for the concept we've actually seen pretty much backs up CelticPredator

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CRAYON posted:

well the only argument for the concept we've actually seen pretty much backs up CelticPredator

Using a nuclear bomb to awaken Godzilla so that he can be used as a weapon for the US military is extremely wrongheaded.

But, moreover, Godzilla in 1954 was not the avatar of a pseudoscience white dad.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Drakyn posted:

it's a SMG meme mostly

the thrust of it is, though, is that fandom doesn't tend to be concerned with the things an original work is itself primarily concerned with, and instead focuses on elements that are more-or-less cruft. with Godzilla, you could make a very strong argument that the monsters themselves and their fights and effects scenes are typically extremely inessential to a Godzilla movie, and that the ones where they are essential are the ones that end up failing to achieve anything beyond light entertainment; Gojira, Godzilla vs. Hedorah, and Shin Godzilla are amazing movies, but you could take all of the monster effects out of all three and still have a very solid movie. meanwhile nobody's going to call Godzilla vs. Megalon unironic cinematic greatness, and even something like Final Wars is pretty much just a bunch of amusing sound and fury that signifies nothing.

so, in essence, G-fans being obsessive about the monsters and monster fights and monster effects, and prioritizing that over having an effective human element in the films, means they're missing the forest for the trees and missing what makes the actual great movies in the series as great as they are.

that said, I'm not really on this page myself, because I'm perfectly fine with a large proportion of kaiju movies existing simply as light entertainment as long as they at least manage to be good at that, and KotM (for example) was totally fine as light entertainment. I'd say it's less that G-fans "don't actually like" Godzilla movies; if you were to take a poll of the fandom as a whole, I suspect the movies that achieve something greater than simple spectacle would end up at the top of a collective ranking, whereas the ones that don't would be closer to the bottom. instead, I'd say it's that G-fans are willing to acknowledge that kaiju films can be something truly great, but are also cynical enough at this point to realize that that's not what we're going to get in 75% of cases, and are perfectly willing to accept something that doesn't achieve that greatness as long as it's at least sufficiently entertaining.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 26, 2020

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

it's a SMG meme mostly

the thrust of it is, though, is that fandom doesn't tend to be concerned with the things an original work is itself primarily concerned with, and instead focuses on elements that are more-or-less cruft. with Godzilla, you could make a very strong argument that the monsters themselves and their fights and effects scenes are typically extremely inessential to a Godzilla movie, and that the ones where they are essential are the ones that end up failing to achieve anything beyond light entertainment; Gojira, Godzilla vs. Hedorah, and Shin Godzilla are amazing movies, but you could take all of the monster effects out of all three and still have a very solid movie. meanwhile nobody's going to call Godzilla vs. Megalon unironic cinematic greatness, and even something like Final Wars is pretty much just a bunch of amusing sound and fury that signifies nothing.

so, in essence, G-fans being obsessive about the monsters and monster fights and monster effects, and prioritizing that over having an effective human element in the films, means they're missing the forest for the trees and missing what makes the actual great movies in the series as great as they are.

that said, I'm not really on this page myself, because I'm perfectly fine with a large proportion of kaiju movies existing simply as light entertainment as long as they at least manage to be good at that, and KotM (for example) was totally fine as light entertainment. I'd say it's less that G-fans "don't actually like" Godzilla movies; if you were to take a poll of the fandom as a whole, I suspect the movies that achieve something greater than simple spectacle would end up at the top of a collective ranking, whereas the ones that don't would be closer to the bottom. instead, I'd say it's that G-fans are willing to acknowledge that kaiju films can be something truly great, but are also cynical enough at this point to realize that that's not what we're going to get in 75% of cases, and are perfectly willing to accept something that doesn't achieve that greatness as long as it's at least sufficiently entertaining.

Thank you and everyone else. This is closest to being the direct answer I was looking for but the other commentary wasn't tangential to it and all of it was interesting.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Using nukes to empower Godzilla is nothing new- the twist is that it didn't backfire or have some serious negative repercussions of some kind which they flirted with but also solved. This was the plot of VS Ghidorah after all.

The problem I have with it is pretty bare bones- the Oxygen Destroyer being used betrays that the director is absolutely a fan, but let that get ahead of him and he wanted to pounce on using This Thing From The Thing. Never mind that it's a piss poor version of the weapon, it's just a terrible idea to approach the way they did. It should have been a nuetron bomb or something to that effect for how it worked.

Making it the OD is a step way too far and is my biggest sticking point with the film. The nuke is also aggravating even with its limp attempts at consequences. But, saying Godzilla fans don't like Godzilla, is insanely reductive and extremely untrue. There's room for all kinds of fans and all kinds of takes. I adore 1954, Return of, Shin and my personal favorite is MechaGodzilla 74 because it's just a big dumb fun movie that's great and wonderful.

Most any broad sweeping statements about general fandoms like that are coming from the wrong place. It's just a quick and easy slogan for people to laugh at and maybe agree with and that's it. Treating it as more than that quickly derails actual discussions of films and how they change.

G'14 absolutely has Godzilla embody the spirit of Brody and all that, and that's fine. What Godzilla is and has become is not what it once was. Shin is not 54, nor is Legendary.

That still doesn't excuse dumb poo poo like the OD being used and then the nuke but I don't think it invalidates the entire film.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Oxygen Destroyer is such a huge thing in the original movie and even comes back to haunt people decades later in Destroyah. It's a huge ethical debate to use it. One has to wonder why Serizawa would even make such a thing if he was willing to die to prevent it's duplication.

Then in King of the Monsters it shows up as a kaiju RKO.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And to explain, the way the original works is VERY different from how its stated to work in King of the Monsters 2019. In the new movie, the Oxygen Destroyer just eliminates whatever free oxygen is around, suffocating everything to death. At least from what we could tell.

The original, however, is far more hideous and terrible. It doesn't give a good goddamn if you breathe oxygen or not- it targets oxygen molecules (and presumably atoms but they cite that specifically) and liquifies them, dissolving ANYTHING that is made up of oxygen molecules, which is any living thing including things that don't breathe it. If it had been used above water, it would have wiped out at least Tokyo and God knows what else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, while I like King of the Monsters quite a bit, in large part because I got to see MY KING in all his rampaging, rear end in a top hat glory, the Oxygen Destroyer is probably the weakest aspect of the plot.