Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm actually sort of on the same page, especially the "crack team" bit. It's one of those things that annoyed me, Gus could have just said "I have a team waiting" but selling it as the elite made it worse for just that reason.

Edit - Better Call Saul spoilers since new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

I'm actually sort of on the same page, especially the "crack team" bit. It's one of those things that annoyed me, Gus could have just said "I have a team waiting" but selling it as the elite made it worse for just that reason.

Edit - Better Call Saul spoilers since new page

Exactly, if it had've just been some random Mexican gang bangers or low level goons, I'd probably be fine with it all.

After watching ZeroZeroZero I've seen what the Cartel paramilitary can do.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

pentyne posted:

Unacceptable. Roger Cross makes the character good just by showing up on screen.

Hey I'm not hating the player, I'm hating the game (Canadian tv)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Side question about Better Call Saul. What country does it air on Netflix? The copy I obtained had the Netflix splash screen and it was also billed as a "Netflix Orginal" prior to the theme song. Obviously it's on AMC in North America, it's on Stan (a Netflix competitor) in Australia but where is it on Netflix?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Medullah posted:

The worst part of that is that they kept showing that scene in the "previously, on the Shield" recaps for like 9 seasons.

Wasn't there also a full season where they kept showing a scene involving Anthony Anderson and a blowjob or something? It's a vague memory but I remember it being shown over and over

Overall I still hold the show in pretty high estimation but can't imagine rewatching it again in this era. Still my favourite series finale though

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They had some really good guest actors like Forest Whitaker and Glenn Close. The show was definitely try hard from the beginning like the Kid Rock music in the pilot episode.

jacksonchan
Jun 29, 2005

I binged through Zero Zero Zero and really liked it. Killer Mogwai soundtrack, nihilistic vibe. They filmed it all on location in Mexico, Italy and Northern Africa, and it took like a year and a half to film.

Some reviews/articles compared Zero Zero Zero to the Gomorrah TV series and mentioned they shared directors. I started watching it and it is fantastic. The actors are all great, it has a very atmospheric and moody soundtrack that I love. For anyone else who has watched Gomorrah, does it keep up it's quality through the later series? What are some other shows that have a similar vibe to these? I've already seen most of Narcos and some of Ozark.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

They had some really good guest actors like Forest Whitaker and Glenn Close. The show was definitely try hard from the beginning like the Kid Rock music in the pilot episode.

They both did a phenomonal job, and I will defend the Kid Rock song as being perfectly in character for a bunch of tryhard morons like Vic. Any plotline with Dutch was awesome and I was kind of bummed that actor didn't do much more besides be the best Burn Notice villain.

It was about 95 percent a fantastic show but the remaining five is stuff that would make Law And Order:SVU go "now wait a drat second, that's too much" in like a weird, gleeful way.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

jacksonchan posted:

Some reviews/articles compared Zero Zero Zero to the Gomorrah TV series and mentioned they shared directors. I started watching it and it is fantastic. The actors are all great, it has a very atmospheric and moody soundtrack that I love. For anyone else who has watched Gomorrah, does it keep up it's quality through the later series? What are some other shows that have a similar vibe to these? I've already seen most of Narcos and some of Ozark.

It's not just directors, the entire creative team (and most of the financing) is the same for both Gomorrah and Zero*3. I've only seen the first season though so I can't answer your quality question (I'd assume so though). As for other recommendations, Snowfall on FX might be up your alley. You've got drug shenanigans, organised crime, drug lords, CIA/Contra meddling.

Speaking of Snowfall, the guy that plays Teddy, is both my faavourite character and looked familiar. I went to look up his IMDB to see what I might know him from and I've never seen a more non-existent IMDB page in my life. The guy has done virtually nothing. Seriously, look at this guys credits https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3958020/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t2

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

Side question about Better Call Saul. What country does it air on Netflix? The copy I obtained had the Netflix splash screen and it was also billed as a "Netflix Orginal" prior to the theme song. Obviously it's on AMC in North America, it's on Stan (a Netflix competitor) in Australia but where is it on Netflix?

In the UK

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
The new cutscene graphics ghost in the shell is up on Netflix and the intro to this show about the blurring of the line between man and machine and whether or not artificial beings have a soul looks miiiiiighty familiar :thunk:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol: yeah that's a pretty blatant Westworld ripoff. Westworld maybe have taken some roundabout inspiration from the first GitS in the first place, though.

e: Also, skipping through this show and it looks like a cheap video game cutscene. Like, really stiff, awkward, and flatly-directed. Yikes.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 24, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

The new cutscene graphics ghost in the shell is up on Netflix and the intro to this show about the blurring of the line between man and machine and whether or not artificial beings have a soul looks miiiiiighty familiar :thunk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2GikVQXvf0

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm glad some people have been catching up with it. I did enjoy it but was also a bit frustrated by the fact that the 6(?) episodes of the first season basically amounted to what should have been a Pilot. The show seemed like a perfect example of the argument movie nerds make about how prestige/peak TV is terrible because it's full of such inefficient/bad storytellers.

*waves arms at monitor in frustration*

I get headaches just trying to imagine how Brad Lewis making his splash debut being the end-piece of an episode instead of the season would have even worked. The show is laser-focused on setting up stakes, involvements and relationships for that big pay-off and it doesn't waste a breath getting there.

It's the highest paced show Netflix has ever put out with what amounts to zero filler. Like what do you want from your shows. :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

The season 3 opening for Westworld has a bit that's directly lifted from the opening of the original GitS movie.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Looten Plunder posted:

Exactly, if it had've just been some random Mexican gang bangers or low level goons, I'd probably be fine with it all.

After watching ZeroZeroZero I've seen what the Cartel paramilitary can do.

Yeah I wasn't convinced either. Hopefully someone lied to Gus about the 'crack team'. The luxury option would be an RPG into that kitchen, the budget option would be just chucking a grenade, either of which should be an option to these people in Mexico. Either way, no more Lalo and the episode ends 20 minutes early

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FX has greenlit a Dan Harmon animated show starting Danny DeVito, Lucy DeVito, and Aubry Plaza.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...QuaDrtCAldpoIWQ

quote:

The Disney-owned cabler has given the greenlight to Little Demon, which will star DeVito (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia), his daughter Lucy DeVito and Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation, FX's Legion). Darcy Fowler, Seth Kirschner and Kieran Valla created the show, which has been in development for several months, and Harmon will be an executive producer.

Little Demon centers on a reluctant mother (Plaza) who 13 years earlier was impregnated by Satan (Danny DeVito). She and her Antichrist daughter (Lucy DeVito) try to live a normal life in Delaware but are constantly thwarted by monstrous forces, including Satan, who wants custody of his daughter's soul.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

FX has greenlit a Dan Harmon animated show starting Danny DeVito, Lucy DeVito, and Aubry Plaza.

gently caress it, I’m in. Dan Harmon is a lunatic trash bag but he does make good shows. This sounds like the fun kind of weird.

feedmyleg posted:

e: Also, skipping through this show and it looks like a cheap video game cutscene. Like, really stiff, awkward, and flatly-directed. Yikes.

It’s not as hideous as the Altered Carbon animated show but yeah, it looks pretty awful. Netflix looooves that art style for some reason.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

bull3964 posted:

So Rick & Morty but the evil grandpa uses magic instead of science.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

*waves arms at monitor in frustration*

I get headaches just trying to imagine how Brad Lewis making his splash debut being the end-piece of an episode instead of the season would have even worked.

A normal 30 minute episode, sure I get it. But if the first episode was an hour long, they'd have no problem doing it. Hell, there are countless Hollywood superhero movies that do exactly that.

But anyway, I agree, the pacing was fine. I think the more frustrating thing was the fact that it was only 6 30 minute episodes, so now we have to wait another year to find out what happens after what was basically the end of the first/second act of a normal season arc.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
Is the new Penny Dreadful any good? I watched a few episodes of the first season and most of the last season (because I'm weird) and have fond memories of it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's not really out yet. The premier is on YouTube though if you want to watch the first episode.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

False posted:

Is the new Penny Dreadful any good? I watched a few episodes of the first season and most of the last season (because I'm weird) and have fond memories of it.

Early reviews are not kind.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I really really want to hate Quibi but it’s honestly not that bad so far. Most Dangerous Game was fun B-movie stuff. The Stranger is a decent little thriller flick. Punk’d is back and the pranks are pretty funny. The doc on LeBron’s school is good.

It’s far from great, but it’s not as terrible as a lot of people are saying. For a free 90 days I’d say it’s worth checking out.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GreenNight posted:

It's not really out yet. The premier is on YouTube though if you want to watch the first episode.

ffff so tempting but then the wait for more dormer will be even longer

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

bull3964 posted:

So, so in.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

The Stand series on CBS All Access to have a new ending written by King himself

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1157110455204294656

A tack-on or an actual change? :iiam:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

They discover that drinking Clorox will cure Captain Trips.

Honestly, anything is better than the hand of God

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

I love Stephen King but he's full on boomer facebook #resistance grandpa now so I hope calling the corona virus "Captain Trumps" online got it out of his system.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Can't wait until 2030 when we'll see the first three episodes.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Steven King, famously good at writing endings.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well, Avenue 5 ended up being loving prophetic

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm announcing a new policy:

I only ever watch shows while physically standing up.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

OldSenileGuy posted:

Bob’s Burgers - I’ve tried to get into this show three times now and every time I find it to be the most dull unfunny thing ever. I don’t get it.

It's simple. Your monitor was off!

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Midnight Gospel is the show your shy artistic friend makes with your verbose does a lot of psychedelics friend.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Gaunab posted:

I said this is the binge thread but I'm watching The Shield now just to kill time. There's an awful lot of plots involving people being raped which I don't like. Like SVU amounts of rape plots. I mean Jesus the loving captain gets forced to perform oral sex on a pair of junkies.
There's a good oral history (lol) of The Shield somewhere and it says CCH Pounder told the writers they were "godless" for doing that and was furious.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
Just finished ZeroZeroZero, might be one of best looking shows I've ever seen.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the midnight gospel stressed me out real bad.....didnt like that the main character was irrevocably damaging the fabric of reality without ever noticing. too real

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Midnight Gospel is the show your shy artistic friend makes with your verbose does a lot of psychedelics friend.

its definitely the best animated, most accurate simulation of the experience amateurs call a “bad trip”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That last episode was fuckin beautiful though