Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lessail posted:

i thought the issue was with the funimation version and not the broadcast one

It was an issue with some, but not all, of the broadcast stations. Some got the finished version, some got the oddball one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

cheesetriangles posted:

I only watched the first 2 episodes of the new GITS but both episodes were basically nothing but combat sequences and that is just not what I'm there for and everything about this sucks.

so far it feels like a good shinji aramaki anime (which you know... isn't saying much), and a lousy ghost in shell

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Oh. New GitS is in Netflix Jail, isn't it?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ranzear posted:

Oh. New GitS is in Netflix Jail, isn't it?

It's on Netflix, but it's not being held hostage, the full thing is out to watch.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I absolutely could not find it earlier tonight. Just Arise was on there.

Started watching Castlevania instead.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Maxwell Adams posted:

Make sure you don't miss the hottest action anime this season: this bike commercial.

https://twitter.com/tamagushii/status/1251894698634952706

That white stripe across the mouth of bike ninja dude makes him look like the dad from Dr McNinja.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lead out in cuffs posted:

That white stripe across the mouth of bike ninja dude makes him look like the dad from Dr McNinja.

Can't be; He's not on fire.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ranzear posted:

I absolutely could not find it earlier tonight. Just Arise was on there.

Started watching Castlevania instead.

Maybe a regional thing?

All 24 eps available right here.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Or maybe just tagged badly. I searched for 'ghost' and 'gits' and both only found Arise. Weird.

The Tizen app is kinda dumb sometimes though.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Julias posted:

Maybe a regional thing?

All 24 eps available right here.

The episode thumbnails are enough to make me not want to watch it

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The preview that plays looks and sounds like a Saturday morning cartoon.

Not in, like, any bad way, just a 'not very GitS' way.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
did they really hire the plaigerizer/tracer to do character designs for the new gits anime? which is looking cg berserk levels of bad

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
The new GitS really is a mess. It looks like they came up with a visual style that uses shading rather than outlines, and it looks sort of okay in scenes with dim lighting. Any scene with bright lighting just looks busted. At least there's plenty of motion, and they rendered it at a decent framerate.

The writing is the real problem for me. I just watched the first two episodes, and most of that was people racing around in military vehicles blasting each other with machine guns except nobody dies. There's some nonsense about sustainable war and fortified enclaves of rich people, but none of it has a GitS tone to it.

It sounds like they got all the Japanese voice actors back together, and that's nice. There was an out of place bit of jazz music playing while they were driving around and shooting each other, but it was pretty okay jazz music.

I wouldn't give half a poo poo about this show if it wasn't called Ghost in the Shell.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they should have shot aramaki the second he brought up cgi again

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ghost in the Shell:SAC was good despite the source material, not because of it, Arise and this new series are strong evidence of this. Although I dunno if this new series is going to top most of section 9 going around being terrorists not because they were falsely accused of massacring children, but because there was a cover-up about them being "justified" to do it. Arise was so dumb.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

What I forgot to mention about the new GITS show is that I feel like there's a distinct lack of assets, so almost every scene feels barren and feels like it could use like about dozen different models in the scene which it lacks because it's CGI and it's more expensive to build/import more assets than to just draw 2d items.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Maxwell Adams posted:

The new GitS really is a mess. It looks like they came up with a visual style that uses shading rather than outlines, and it looks sort of okay in scenes with dim lighting. Any scene with bright lighting just looks busted. At least there's plenty of motion, and they rendered it at a decent framerate.

The writing is the real problem for me. I just watched the first two episodes, and most of that was people racing around in military vehicles blasting each other with machine guns except nobody dies. There's some nonsense about sustainable war and fortified enclaves of rich people, but none of it has a GitS tone to it.

It sounds like they got all the Japanese voice actors back together, and that's nice. There was an out of place bit of jazz music playing while they were driving around and shooting each other, but it was pretty okay jazz music.

I wouldn't give half a poo poo about this show if it wasn't called Ghost in the Shell.

Everything marketed at Normie westerners has jazz music because of Cowboy Bebop

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like they should've gone for mumble rap instead.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Sad to hear the new GITS is looking so bad, I didn't exactly have insanely high hopes after seeing the trailer, but I was holding out hope that the writing might be decent

Guess I should just go rewatch SAC instead

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the reaction has been so hyperbolically negative here that i don't believe a word of it tbh

but also i liked arise for what it was :twisted:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I liked Arise too. Then again, I also liked the live action GITS. I might just be very easy when it comes to cyberpunk.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

dogsicle posted:

the reaction has been so hyperbolically negative here that i don't believe a word of it tbh

has it? I haven't seen anyone say it's the worst thing ever, just mostly unenthused disappointment.

i've watched 3 episodes, it has not pulled me in yet. apparently the second half is better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I don't think it's that bad and there's plenty of effort in the small details of the animation for what there is (watch the way they all have unique strides as they run, for example), the problem is that they're being pretty drat unsubtle about cribbing off Westworld and The Matrix (The Corrido of Doors, Agent Smith, Post-Humans are functionally Hosts rather than engaging with its setting. I do like the frustrating AR popups at least :allears:.

The Sustainable War also falls flat because we never see it. All we get is cliche post-apocalypse raiders complaining about "The 1%'ers", and Metal Gear Solids 2 and 4 do this exact same story far better using contemporary wars in the Middle East.

Sindai posted:

I liked Arise too. Then again, I also liked the live action GITS. I might just be very easy when it comes to cyberpunk.

That film is so frustrating; Great set design and casting, a lot of effort to draw from not just the original film but the sequel and Stand Alone Complex... all tanked by a script out a first-year's writing class :sigh:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 25, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i was like no way, they're not gonna— and then they did. i burst out laughing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rinkles posted:

i was like no way, they're not gonna— and then they did. i burst out laughing.

He even looks like Hugo Weaving. I mean really?!

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

The Original 2 seasons of GITS SAC is one of my favorite animes and really decent Science Fiction. It's something I have recommended to non-anime watchers.

The Human Element requirement of Sci-Fi is not something you see presented well in most presentations of Sci-Fi anime. In my experience you usually see a ham fisted application of something vaguely humanistic while opting for a story that just serves as a binder between action scenes, or giving heavily into typical Japanese flavored tropes.

A lot of questions I might of had about a cyberpunk world are answered in the old SAC, not directly mind you, but with little tidbits here and there. Aspects of the world were delivered as story beats, or used as reasons for how certain characters would act or react to what was happening in the story and world at large. Some SAC episodes were more like a Police procedural drama, which were a much more interesting way to explore the world than whatever high school drama poo poo I saw in some of this 2045 poo poo.

Very little that is new and interesting is present in SAC 2045. There are many holes and 'sins' in the presentation.

Just a few off the top of my head:

A comic relief american guy? Really?
Why are all those 'raiders' constantly shooting towards the sky, I mean, some people in the vehicle are shooting at the characters, THEY HAVE A TARGET TO SHOOT AT. WHY ARE YOU LEAVING THEM IN THE SHOOTING IN THE AIR LOOP. Make a loving effort animators. Christ.
Why are there like, 2-4 people in the PRIME MINISTER OF JAPANS residence serving as guards. Why are so many places so empty. You are using 3D animation to make short cuts, is it THAT hard to put little touches here and there to make the world feel lived in?
Why is this Trope-y anime girl in my SAC show. WHY... WHY!?
Why Is Toguska acting like Bruce Lee all of a sudden, this is loving stupid.

It's not a terrible show by any means, but given the quality of work it is following... I'd say it's a big disappointment. I mostly watched it because I was starving for content for the SAC characters. But that desire was fostered form the Old SAC work, not this one.

About the only thing on point were the Tachikomas. And Batou. Even mediocre writing can't bring him down.

The only new thing I liked was the first post human they fought. I got a real Fear the Sky vibe in how a machine with very fast processing power would fight.

I was also disappointed in how easily Motoko took out the boxer post-human, but then she gave a really good explanation as to how she did. YES! more of THAT please.

Tenasscity fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 25, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

hehe the batou episode was pretty fun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think we can all agree on the real failing of SAC_2045; No new Tachikomatic Days :colbert:.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Typical Japanese Tropes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the ps1 gits game that is just an hour and a half of everyone bumbling around while trying to track down the evil terrorists and then after you beat them it just flashes forward to you and everyone else in section 9 going on a training exercise and major's like "well, that was weird. anyway you all need to do well on this exercise or i'm gonna kick your rear end" is good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

the ps1 gits game that is just an hour and a half of everyone bumbling around while trying to track down the evil terrorists and then after you beat them it just flashes forward to you and everyone else in section 9 going on a training exercise and major's like "well, that was weird. anyway you all need to do well on this exercise or i'm gonna kick your rear end" is good

The PS2 SAC game's actually half-decent too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tenasscity posted:

The Original 2 seasons of GITS SAC is one of my favorite animes and really decent Science Fiction. It's something I have recommended to non-anime watchers.... not giving heavily into typical Japanese flavored tropes.
i too list my favorite thing about my one of my favorite shows being 'its almost like a white person made it'

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's also really not true. It's very much "Japanese flavored" just after Japanese police procedural and crime movies rather than sci-fi shows.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

:shrug: most of SAC's stand alone plots, and especially SAC2s plots were just ripped off from other movies. movies are way better

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I pray that either 1) Japan ends its nation-wide lockdown before July or 2) Someone convinces the Diet to make anime an essential business.
Provided that the Diet ever gets poo poo done, that is.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

get a different hobby

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
what the gently caress

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.crunchyroll.com/random/anime?random_ref=topbar

Use that please.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Grouchio posted:

I pray that either 1) Japan ends its nation-wide lockdown before July or 2) Someone convinces the Diet to make anime an essential business.
Provided that the Diet ever gets poo poo done, that is.
Why are you doing this again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I need to watch one specific anime so bad I wish people were dying for it