Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Poque posted:

Getting some serious decision paralysis on my first playthrough as Amara (lv 33). I did a Samsara build that was effective but not exceedingly fun, and I'm trying a Rush build now that is fun but not super effective. Is melee reasonable? If they could get melee viable I think it could be super fun.

Melee is super reasonable, however you really have to stack as many items that have +100/200/300% to Melee damage as possible for it to compare to guns. It takes a bit more equipment wrangling to make it work. However, it is pretty hilarious just punching elites to death in 2 seconds.

A word of warning. A lot of bosses aren't very punchable so you'll need to have contingency equipment and they can be a bit of a slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

...! posted:

Eh, now that the people working on the game know they were lied to about their bonuses, I absolutely would not be surprised if they were purposely sabotaging little poo poo like that purely out of spite.

Did you play the game at all before that all happened?

This is Gearbox.

Hanlon's law applies in spades.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 16, 2020

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

After beating the game with my friends and going through the story again on TVHM and if there is one thing I can take away from the story it's this:

Talk to Lilith

Should be changed to "listen to lilith talk"

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
yeah double nevermind on Rush not being effective as I just got a phasezerker to drop

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This weeks' events are kinda boring. More cash drops and arena bosses drop more of their dedicated loot.

And it sounds like Mayhem 2.0 and the Cartels event might be coming next week.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Unloaded all of my mailbox into my mule Moze to buy backpack slots, didn’t pay attention to what I was doing, and wound up with... four lvl 12 Short Sticks. :doh: any way to get any more?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Poque posted:

Getting some serious decision paralysis on my first playthrough as Amara (lv 33). I did a Samsara build that was effective but not exceedingly fun, and I'm trying a Rush build now that is fun but not super effective. Is melee reasonable? If they could get melee viable I think it could be super fun.

E: And as I post that I get a +2 Samsara mod to drop, so it's back to that!

I think there's a build called the "Goku Build" or something which combines the green and blue trees for amara. Basically you melee and kill a bunch to make make your middle tree kamehameha really powerful and once you kill something with that it makes your guns/melee really powerful, and you cycle between the 2.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

As Zane, I went heavy into the speed skills and the skills that do more damage with more speed. Then I got an anointed nuke rocket launcher that does +150% dmg as cryo when my drone is out, and let me tell you, this poo poo is hilarious.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Wondering if I'm thinking about this correctly when it comes to my phasezerker Amara.

(Not pictured: Six points distributed in the Fist of the Elements tree)

I'm using Phasecast right now as I am not high-enough leveled to have both Avatar and Ties That Bind active - since I'm just going with Avatar, I use Phasecast to kick off the max stacks bonus from Avatar (compounded by the Phasezerker mod). Since I'm not using Phasecast as my primary damage dealer by any means, are points 2-5 in Do Harm even worth it? It might be better to just use a single point in Do Harm until I can use Ties That Bind and maybe put the other four in two more points of Awakening or maybe some points of Laid Bare since Phasecast won't be killing things any longer.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I've warmed up to the Heart fight from the second DLC, it's a lot more hectic than most other bosses, shooting the crystals in the second phase does go on for a bit but there's so much else happening that I don't honestly mind.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ain't too happy about how Mayhem 2.0 looks, but one big difference that'll make it a little better is you'll be able to reroll modifiers before reloading the level, and your rolls stick for as long as you play, across all maps.

The way difficulty ramps up is weird. On top of enemy stats scaling between levels, you get a certain amount of different modifiers. We don't know how bad the modifiers get, but I could imagine Mayhem 8 being a better time than Mayhem 6 or 7 because there are less modifiers (look at the chart)

This launches Thursday along with cartels, but I haven't read up on that yet.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Rinkles posted:

We don't know how bad the modifiers get, but I could imagine Mayhem 8 being a better time than Mayhem 6 or 7 because there are less modifiers (look at the chart).

Seeing that they don't even list out examples of "Very Hard" modifiers, and people are already freaking out over the floor is lava thing, I can't imagine that really..

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I read the table as hard modifiers being annoying but very hard being just plain rude. Medium may even be beneficial if you use it right.

So adding a new hard or very hard is a bigger spike than more modifiers you're used to.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Happy birthday to me!

https://twitter.com/borderlands/status/1253353301229199361?s=21

edit: would it KILL them to make decent cosmetics though? what the gently caress are those even supposed to be?

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 23, 2020

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Lotta people are saying this update/hotfix is wiping their inventory so perhaps pump the brakes on this.

https://twitter.com/borderlands/status/1253381608968581120?s=21

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 23, 2020

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Sex Hobbit posted:

edit: would it KILL them to make decent cosmetics though? what the gently caress are those even supposed to be?

I think it's supposed to be hotline miami masks and suits, but the suit skins doesn't really fit any character except Zane.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So this looks new:

Interesting new gun, but the Anoint I think is new too? May be better than Zane's SNTNL Cryo, especially if it stacks whilst he has them both on.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Sex Hobbit posted:

Happy birthday to me!

:wrong:

:colbert:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

BizarroAzrael posted:

So this looks new:

Interesting new gun, but the Anoint I think is new too? May be better than Zane's SNTNL Cryo, especially if it stacks whilst he has them both on.

Wait they are telling us what the red text does in the item card now?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

Wait they are telling us what the red text does in the item card now?

Mostly yes. Some are made more clear than others.

I just got the OPQ-System:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLkH8Wuiejo

Damage on mine is 7000x2 though... It seems to be broken good.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 23, 2020

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Sex Hobbit posted:

Lotta people are saying this update/hotfix is wiping their inventory so perhaps pump the brakes on this.

https://twitter.com/borderlands/status/1253381608968581120?s=21

LMAO. Gearbox still Gearboxing, I see.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

don't know why mayhem level isn't labelled on guns (unlike OP gear).

fyi mayhem grenades don't drop with damage buffs, unlike guns, making them even more useless than before

and in general, non gun damage doesn't scale. don't know that iron bear will be usable in M10.

also if you had issues with the visual pollution before...

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
It's just nonstop lob spam to trigger healing on damage for all the different characters

:fap: killskill action always running zane checking in

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 24, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

apparently they killed the cutpurse clone (if you gave your clone a facepuncher and had a cutpurse artifact equipped, it would give you ammo). i think that's dumb. finding those weird interactions is one of the fun parts of the game, and it's not like this did anything broken.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
The amount of extra enemies and loot is ridiculous and i love it. :stonklol:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Can I play through starting at lvl one in mayhem yet? :(

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Haven't played it yet but from what I'm reading everywhere, people are having significant trouble playing in mayhem levels lower than what they were used to before the patch and the overall vibe is that the game is now pretty overtuned.

I'm not surprised by that, unfortunately. I pretty much always expected them to go the route of OP levels and the shitshow that was the endgame of BL2 again.

And the lack of scaling of anything but gun damage is, frankly, just lazy. There's really no excuse for that if you have any pride in your game. It completely invalidates entire trees, builds and weapons.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Huh? I've actually had an easier time with the new Mayhem system than the old one. I used to play on Mayhem 1/2 because 3 and above were too annoying for me, but with the new system I can comfortably play at around Mayhem 6/7 or so, especially if I reroll the modifiers to something decent. Not to say the other complaints aren't valid though. And I've run into a weird bug or something where I'm getting giant piles of Woodblockers. Like seriously 8 or 9 per run. I have no idea why.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Mr Scumbag posted:

Haven't played it yet but from what I'm reading everywhere, people are having significant trouble playing in mayhem levels lower than what they were used to before the patch and the overall vibe is that the game is now pretty overtuned.

I'm not surprised by that, unfortunately. I pretty much always expected them to go the route of OP levels and the shitshow that was the endgame of BL2 again.

And the lack of scaling of anything but gun damage is, frankly, just lazy. There's really no excuse for that if you have any pride in your game. It completely invalidates entire trees, builds and weapons.

Mayhem 10 is very tame apart from the damage, mayhem 6 had so many modifiers it was unbelievable. Solo mobbing isn't bad at all (with M10 lobs, corrosive cutsman, and hellshock)

e: this thing rips, clears trash mobs all day long

e2: not my guns below, theres a x2 variant I saw too

Damage numbers

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 24, 2020

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I went from Mayhem 2 to Mayhem 2. Mayhem 3 felt like horseshit in terms of tankiness to me but I'm not optimized, so what the hell do I know.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I'm using a kill skill zane with seein' dead procing the 4/5 salvation which can heal me permanently so long as I apply damage while I face tank things.

The trick here is to farm megamind for hellshocks from 4/6/8/10, along the way he will hopefully drop a lob or something useful. You need a build that heals when you do damage and to spam the lob causing permanent healing while you are face tanking megamind. Once you get some decent hellshocks switch to grave ward to get some lobs, you need two different elements because you will encounter enemies with glowing circles which show which element they are immune to. Badass loaders immune to corrosive, cartel zealots with 3 red hp bars immune to fire :suicide:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I’m getting like 90% grenade ammo from kills, to bad I’m not on Moze.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

I played Mayhem 4 and went straight to 6 with a killskill/lifesteal zane. These weapon mods like 300% damage when greater than 90% health and 200% damage when action skills are active are BONKERS. I effectively doubled my damage and healing. With the speedracer modifier for easy, I just fly around the maps and make things explode in 1-2 shots. We did a M5 slaughter shaft earlier today and with the Cartel baddies turned on, 40-50 legendaries were dropping a round.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What the gently caress is that constant static noise?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

So it sounds like the new anointments are like the Terror ones and wont stick around? And you can only get them from cartel content so no +200% damage Redistributiors.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

No, I think they're actually permanent.

I like quite a few of them, but they really should take out the old useless ones from the pool.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So what's the general consensus of the mayhem 2.0 update, people liking it compared to the old system or is it flawed?

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So what's the general consensus of the mayhem 2.0 update, people liking it compared to the old system or is it flawed?

I've had a very short run, to test how my CCC Zane and dunno-what-to-do-with-her Moze played, but I'd be lying if I said I'm finding a coherent design flow in this system. It feels they've gone overboard with resists to elements and number of health bars, but it's probabily because I never had a proper M4 geared character and/ or the weapon damage progression is off the charts.

What irks me the most is how they're treating survivability. Perhaps I should try playing Fl4k or Amara.

Edit: btw, Zane still good, Moze still sucks, so far

Char fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 24, 2020

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's early and I've only tried a few levels, but I like it, big head mode is a big nostalgia kick for me. I can still get the kills at 9-10, although the DEATH spawns are pretty annoying. It makes things a bit more interesting and fresh, I dig it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
The game was getting samey, M4 was super easy, and there was no meaningful progression left. Now there's lots of challenge, progression, and ways to switch up the gameplay! It's great. I really don't get the redditors who are super angry that M10 is difficult