Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I just finished playing Kingdoms and Castles, and it scratched an itch I have perfectly: A small-scale city builder where I can watch individuals go about doing specific tasks, without having to worry about external threats. Kingdoms and Castles has a casual mode where the only worry is your people being hit with a plague, or running out of resources.

Can anyone else name any city-builders where there's a mode with no external threats (But isn't a sandbox mode where I get unlimited whatever-I-wants), and where each individual is going about specific tasks (Which rules out, let's say, Cities: Skylines)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

sebmojo posted:

For the King is free on Epic now, I remember hearing good things about it a while back.

Yeah, I've picked this up. I've heard it's best played co-op with three players.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Banished.

Depending on your definition of city building, Autonauts.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

pentyne posted:

Only Bethesda could make a radiant AI so bad it looped back around to good and started trying to destroy the game to experience the sweet relief of death.

Even Gamebryo has had enough at this point.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

ahobday posted:

I just finished playing Kingdoms and Castles, and it scratched an itch I have perfectly: A small-scale city builder where I can watch individuals go about doing specific tasks, without having to worry about external threats. Kingdoms and Castles has a casual mode where the only worry is your people being hit with a plague, or running out of resources.

Can anyone else name any city-builders where there's a mode with no external threats (But isn't a sandbox mode where I get unlimited whatever-I-wants), and where each individual is going about specific tasks (Which rules out, let's say, Cities: Skylines)?

Go classic, and pick up Settlers 2 or 3 at GoG or wherever

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pyromancer posted:

Go classic, and pick up Settlers 2 or 3 at GoG or wherever

Instead of classic Settlers 2 go with Settlers 2: 10th Anniversary Edition.

It does have fighting, but it’s really simple. Just soldiers walking to an enemy barrack/fort, then they start dueling an opponent and one of them (usually the higher rank one) wins after a while. Repeat until one of armies no longer has soldiers nearby and loses some territory.

I think the AI never attacks first if it has the feeling numbers that you are doing better, so you could spend hours expanding and gradually perfecting your supply chain.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ahobday posted:

I think threats in the Stronghold HD economic campaign are pretty limited, especially if you set it to easy.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

ahobday posted:

Stronghold? Caesar 3. Children of the Nile. Tropico series. If you can deal with infrequent combat, Dawn of Man. Also, Surviving Mars does not have combat but your mars colony can fail in rather horrific ways if you don't plan ahead. That environment is a harsh thing.

Also, unrelated: Thea 2 is a good game. I just wanted to say it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
FFXII got updated to include the job reset and additional gambit sets that the Switch and Xbox versions have.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

Stronghold? Caesar 3. Children of the Nile. Tropico series. If you can deal with infrequent combat, Dawn of Man. Also, Surviving Mars does not have combat but your mars colony can fail in rather horrific ways if you don't plan ahead. That environment is a harsh thing.

Also, unrelated: Thea 2 is a good game. I just wanted to say it.

I assumed that Caesar 3, Children of the Nile, and Tropico didn't have tracked invidual people are assigned jobs and go about doing it on their own?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Gort posted:

Yeah, I've picked this up. I've heard it's best played co-op with three players.

unfortunately co-op is a little anemic feeling: it's basically just a simple RPG, with co-op being giving control of one of the party members to a player. it's more nuanced then, like, the tales of series co-op being combat only given the individual party members can walk around the map, but you're still just playing singleplayer with only one thing to control over three.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
In case you've been holding out on FFXIV's early game to get revamped, they are finally releasing some details about that. There's a live letter going on as of this writing - 13% quests gone, others have a reduced the number of steps required to complete them. Fetch quests are mostly gone. They add gear and experience to ensure you can progress smoothly, and they'll shower you with experience, so your main job can progress further even when you technically reach the level cap for the given expansion. No more forced grinding of sidequests.

You can finally use flying mounts in ARR areas! This gets unlocked automatically once you clear the main scenario for ARR, no need for aether currents.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Worth noting that the patch that this is happening in is probably coming in like July. Was planned for mid June, but Covid.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

ahobday posted:

I assumed that Caesar 3, Children of the Nile, and Tropico didn't have tracked invidual people are assigned jobs and go about doing it on their own?

Tropico did, iirc, in all its iterations.

I'm actually not sure about Caesar 3 and Children of the Nile, but I think they did? It has been a few years.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm playing Metro Exodus through Game Pass and I just came across a bizarre bug where Anna's rifle kept on shooting after the firefight on the train's control room at the very beginning. Like she'd have it holstered and it would still be shooting. Currently going through a long conversation where it's STILL shooting, causing sparks and blood to pop up all around her as her character model moves.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Azran posted:

I'm playing Metro Exodus through Game Pass and I just came across a bizarre bug where Anna's rifle kept on shooting after the firefight on the train's control room at the very beginning. Like she'd have it holstered and it would still be shooting. Currently going through a long conversation where it's STILL shooting, causing sparks and blood to pop up all around her as her character model moves.

I love this kind of stuff:

(Heavy Rain spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0uCWjQ6Og

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

XCOM Chimera Squad: the writing is so gooood I had the biggest smile on my face while playing it. 49 minutes in, and it seems to be everything I want from a small-scale XCOM Apocalypse kind of game. Lots of Invisible Inc vibes from it!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
So what happens at the end of XCOM 2 anyways? My game permanently crashed before the last mission.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Antigravitas posted:

Tropico did, iirc, in all its iterations.

I'm actually not sure about Caesar 3 and Children of the Nile, but I think they did? It has been a few years.

They did, managing the paths your citizens would take to make sure everything was properly distributed was like 75 percent of the game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

So what happens at the end of XCOM 2 anyways? My game permanently crashed before the last mission.

you kill the boss aliens

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

You, that is you the commander, have a goku beam fight with the boss aliens

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Anyone looking for impressions of XCOM: Chimera Squad it's pretty good.

Your squad is made up of unique characters all with their own kind of class. Big improvement (IMO) they all have an ability that only takes one action point so you're constantly using abilities instead of saving them for the right moment that never comes. Then you can usually still crack a shot off so you're doing a lot more per character per turn.

Turns now have characters going in staggered order and there's an easy to read list right on the side of the screen. Taking out a problem character just before its turn in the order is a good feeling.

Each mission is made up of 1-3 rooms (so far) and you breach each room with bonuses or penalties depending on where you choose to breach. Smashing through a wall and murdering most of the room before they move continues to be fun. When you breach enemies have different statuses so you can choose to shoot at the ones that are going to shoot your team or take out some easy targets that are surprised. If you lose a character and still have rooms to go you can build lovely robots to fill a hole in your squad. So far I've only had that happen once.

There seems to be three factions to defeat and you focus on one at a time (I may be wrong about that it's just what seems to be happening so far). This isn't great because it feels like I'm fighting the same robot/turret/soldiers over and over instead of new things. I guess some ninja/wolverine guy showed up in my last mission and that was new so hopefully I'll see more things soon.

It's a very slimmed down Xcom experience. For the current price it was certainly worth my money.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
XCOM Chimera Squad is also a brilliant palette cleanser if you had been feeling down from trying to play Phoenix Point...

It's full of charm and character.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I still hold out hope that whenever phoenix point drops on steam it'll be good. I guess we'll see.

Anyways, the abundance of good games I have to play is a blessing because I'm in incredible pain and the painkillers are waiting to work so distractions are the best. The best.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

I still hold out hope that whenever phoenix point drops on steam it'll be good. I guess we'll see.

That would take a goddamn miracle. That game is awful. Charmless, with a crap AI and terrible design desicions (like manual aim being a better choice 100 percent of the time)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That would take a goddamn miracle. That game is awful. Charmless, with a crap AI and terrible design desicions (like manual aim being a better choice 100 percent of the time)

They have between now and December/early 2021, that's an eternity and anything can happen, so I will continue to hold out hope. It's either that or getting a time machine and going back and stopping myself from backing it. :v:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

They have between now and December/early 2021, that's an eternity and anything can happen, so I will continue to hold out hope. It's either that or getting a time machine and going back and stopping myself from backing it. :v:

The time machine seems more likely! The whole thing reminded me of the early-mid 2000’s XCom wannabes that were passable, mostly because it looked like that was as close as we were gonna get to more XCom. It has incredibly dated sensibilities and zero sense of fun. It wastes a really cool setting, too! I really like the background stuff!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

They recently released Blood and Titanium, one of the three announced dlc packs, with two ones they were waiting to announce later in the year. It brought some improvements and rescaled the difficulty, but it also messed with some peoples saves. They had a weird Backer offer where if you have ordered the Signature edition / Deluxe Edition, you got the Season Pass for free. It wasn't very clear and took ages to get out versions to people. As for the state of the game, you may have to wait a while on Steam to see if mods can help it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I checked out the new Borderlands 3 event last night. It's solid with lots of chances for eridium drops and interesting new weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRR2qC5h47g

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Zathril posted:

I still have a key if you can give me some way for me to give it to you.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/irritatedgoat or same id at gmail.com ?

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
Enjoying Cloudpunk, and enjoying it more since I turned voice volume down to 0%. The acting is so amateur it’s hard to listen to. Would’ve been much better if they had just used little beeping noises to signify incoming text, like old 16-bit RPGs.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

edgar_ posted:

Enjoying Cloudpunk, and enjoying it more since I turned voice volume down to 0%. The acting is so amateur it’s hard to listen to. Would’ve been much better if they had just used little beeping noises to signify incoming text, like old 16-bit RPGs.

I wish if it would just instantly fill the whole text box when you hit A instead of skipping to the next line, because I usually try to just read the whole line instead of listening to the voice acting, which is... not good. It should only skip to the next line if you hit A after the text box is filled in.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Here's some keys:

Walking *ead: TGQ9V-92*TH-Y5MC4

WD 4*0 days dlc: 3LTF9-I2Q6L-E*TZX

Walking *ead Season 2: YEB0P-5VJ5H-YQ*V5

This Wa* of Mine: XZ069-P*6DI-0XB72

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

This Wa* of Mine: XZ069-P*6DI-0XB72

A lurker snagged this one

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I wish if it would just instantly fill the whole text box when you hit A instead of skipping to the next line, because I usually try to just read the whole line instead of listening to the voice acting, which is... not good. It should only skip to the next line if you hit A after the text box is filled in.

Yeah that’s another complaint I have too. Also there’s an ambient announcement about jazz being illegal that plays way too often and is distracting. Little things, still really enjoying the overall vibe of the game though. It pulls me in despite that

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I just now realized there's a "Don't show this again" check box on the finish pop up when you install a game. I've been on Steam since Half-Life 2. It's been there forever hasn't it? :saddowns:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
sectoid kibble

from the makers of bachelor chow

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I just now realized there's a "Don't show this again" check box on the finish pop up when you install a game. I've been on Steam since Half-Life 2. It's been there forever hasn't it? :saddowns:

Not that long, but it has been there a while now.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I'm looking for more chill games lately. Preferably ones that aren't story focused but have a chill and somewhat engaging gameplay loop. I was trying AC: Odyssey and Tales of Maj'eyal for that but the former has too much dialogue and the latter eventually got stressful in the later levels. I tried Wandersong on gamepass but kinda bounced off the traditional story structure.

Johnny Truant posted:

A lurker snagged this one

Been wondering lately how many lurkers are around on SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Codeacious posted:

I'm looking for more chill games lately. Preferably ones that aren't story focused but have a chill and somewhat engaging gameplay loop. I was trying AC: Odyssey and Tales of Maj'eyal for that but the former has too much dialogue and the latter eventually got stressful in the later levels. I tried Wandersong on gamepass but kinda bounced off the traditional story structure.

Been wondering lately how many lurkers are around on SA.

Cloudpunk! I’m not far in but it’s chill as hell and very pretty. I wish they’d jam a VR mode into it.