Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Jingleheimer posted:

I don't know what those big fuckers in the sewers are called
Hunter Gammas. They die to a single Flame Round, so you can save the pistol ammo in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cardiovorax posted:

Hunter Gammas. They die to a single Flame Round, so you can save the pistol ammo in the future.

I still love the note that you find going "yeah these dudes are strong but BOY are they flammable"

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Thank you. I knew it was Hunter Gammas but just couldn't remember it. And yes, flame rounds was what I was using on them before my handgun had infinite ammo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I still love the note that you find going "yeah these dudes are strong but BOY are they flammable"
I got a real laugh from just standing there and watching them burn while I went "...so, are you going to stop burning any time time soon? *flurmph-splash* Not quite what I meant, but alright!" to myself the first time I encountered them. Yeah, those poor bois are a bit too on the flammable side. Shame about those mandibles.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm currently playing Claire B in the remake, just got to NEST.

Yeah, I can imagine Annette Birkin as a Mastermind in a game of Resistance, watching the monitors smugly while sipping coffee from her "Mother of the Year" mug (a gift from her husband!).

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I just got RE2Make a few weeks ago while it was on sale and have gotten S Rank on Standard for both characters, so I feel I have a pretty good grasp of the path I should be taking. I'm moving on to Hardcore, and drat. How does one manage to get S+ on this? I'm trying to think of the best 3 points to save at on the A scenario, and I just don't know if I can reach any of them in the needed time without taking a hit. I want to drop one before each of the Birkin fights, but I don't know if I could handle Birkin 3/4 or Birkin 3/Tyrant in one go on this difficulty. I had enough trouble with them on Standard.

Also, are there good guides/LPs of the Hunk/Tofu and Ghost Survivor minigames? I can beat Kendo's without too much trouble, can almost reach the end of Katherine's, and can only get about halfway through NotHunk's. As for actual Hunk, I can just barely make it into the police station proper. I find it difficult not to burn though all my ammo trying to make zombies stumble enough to move by.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cardiovorax posted:

On hardcore they can survive 1 flame round (and maybe lower difficulty if you don't hit them in the mouth?), but not if you knife them while they're burning from it.

Also I want to reiterate how bonkers 2 Assault Coins plus Rai-Den gun is. I killed clock tower Nemesis on Nightmare in 3 Mine Grenades (to expose his heart each time) and 3 Rai-Den shots total, nothing else. It's a super fun gun because it does no damage if you don't hit an enemy directly in their weak spot so it's a really fun high-risk high-reward weapon. Honestly they should have put it in the main campaign with limited ammo.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Meaty Ore posted:

I just got RE2Make a few weeks ago while it was on sale and have gotten S Rank on Standard for both characters, so I feel I have a pretty good grasp of the path I should be taking. I'm moving on to Hardcore, and drat. How does one manage to get S+ on this? I'm trying to think of the best 3 points to save at on the A scenario, and I just don't know if I can reach any of them in the needed time without taking a hit. I want to drop one before each of the Birkin fights, but I don't know if I could handle Birkin 3/4 or Birkin 3/Tyrant in one go on this difficulty. I had enough trouble with them on Standard.

Also, are there good guides/LPs of the Hunk/Tofu and Ghost Survivor minigames? I can beat Kendo's without too much trouble, can almost reach the end of Katherine's, and can only get about halfway through NotHunk's. As for actual Hunk, I can just barely make it into the police station proper. I find it difficult not to burn though all my ammo trying to make zombies stumble enough to move by.

Try saving when you reach the sewers then you can have 2 saves for the last 2 bosses. If you screw up Birkin 2, redoing the sewers doesn't take that long once you get use to it. I guess it depends where you struggle really.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

quote:

I want to drop one before each of the Birkin fights, but I don't know if I could handle Birkin 3/4 or Birkin 3/Tyrant in one go on this difficulty. I had enough trouble with them on Standard.

IMO Birkin 1 and 3 are the easiest to cheese and Birkin 4 is a much safer and easier fight than Super Tyrant.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

birkin 2 seems a lot tougher than he is but if you follow carcinogens play throughs he tells you exactly what you need to do to kill birkin 2 every time, i don't think he even really gets a chance to attack you as long as you do it right.

i don't think you really need a save before birkin 1, the fight isnt that bad even without high FPS and routing to get to him and kill him in twenty minutes helps a LOT with the rest of your run. it's easier to get spare minutes leading up to birkin 1 than it is to make up time after the sewers imo. i always made my first save after birkin 1 since i would often gently caress up my routing in the next part.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Meaty Ore posted:

How does one manage to get S+ on this? I'm trying to think of the best 3 points to save at on the A scenario, and I just don't know if I can reach any of them in the needed time without taking a hit. I want to drop one before each of the Birkin fights, but I don't know if I could handle Birkin 3/4 or Birkin 3/Tyrant in one go on this difficulty. I had enough trouble with them on Standard.

First save *after* Birkin-1 (it's not a hard fight). Second before Birkin-2, third before Birkin-3. If you've played your cards right, it's not terribly difficult to get through NEST quickly, it's just Birkin-2 is a complete bastard. Then again, I was crazy enough to do Birkin-2 in such a way that all the damage came just from ramming him with the boxcar (it is HARD) so I could save the flamethrower ammo to strategically put down vine zombies in NEST.

Birkin-3 is a classic Dark Souls fight where you just do it over and over until you can read all his tells. Also, pick up every frag grenade but don't use any of them until endgame. You need to use them all on the Tyrant to make it safe.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I always want to make a save before the g monsters in the sewers because I seem to always get grabbed by them. I hate those things more than anything else in the game even though there is only like 3 of them.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Thanks for the replies. I'm watching Carcinogen's runs right now. He makes it look so easy!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

On hardcore they can survive 1 flame round (and maybe lower difficulty if you don't hit them in the mouth?), but not if you knife them while they're burning from it.

Also I want to reiterate how bonkers 2 Assault Coins plus Rai-Den gun is. I killed clock tower Nemesis on Nightmare in 3 Mine Grenades (to expose his heart each time) and 3 Rai-Den shots total, nothing else. It's a super fun gun because it does no damage if you don't hit an enemy directly in their weak spot so it's a really fun high-risk high-reward weapon. Honestly they should have put it in the main campaign with limited ammo.

lol welp I was shittalking how easy Nightmare was with all the coins and now I got to the final boss and just get stunlocked to death if I miss one of the 20 perfect dodges I have to do. Guess I'll just pretend I beat it instead

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Navaash posted:

Then again, I was crazy enough to do Birkin-2 in such a way that all the damage came just from ramming him with the boxcar (it is HARD)
For future reference: in that fight he has a big-rear end eye on his back that you can hit with the magnum or another heavy weapon for an instant stun. It makes the timing far easier. Just stun, run off, press the button, and watch him get squished.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Grimthwacker posted:

I'm currently playing Claire B in the remake, just got to NEST.

Yeah, I can imagine Annette Birkin as a Mastermind in a game of Resistance, watching the monitors smugly while sipping coffee from her "Mother of the Year" mug (a gift from her husband!).

One of my favorite little details is Annette's photo as a mastermind, she's the only one not looking directly at the camera, as if even on her first day at the raccoon city facility when some mook was taking her ID photo she was lost in thought about BOWs and checked out of the real world.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zero VGS posted:

lol welp I was shittalking how easy Nightmare was with all the coins and now I got to the final boss and just get stunlocked to death if I miss one of the 20 perfect dodges I have to do. Guess I'll just pretend I beat it instead
Yeah, Nightmare with coins is like Normal difficulty, right up till you actually get to the final boss. With the shield coins you get a little leeway though, allowing you to gently caress up specific smashes if you're quick to heal yourself. Best not to get smashed though.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think the idea behind the final boss (on higher difficulties) is for you to concentrate on dodging and only shoot while you're in bullet time.
You can probably clear 4+ glowing bits in one dodge that way, because of the auto-aim (if you save your magnum ammo).
Some of his attacks you can just sidestep though.

itry fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 21, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I have been banging my head against REMake (I have restarted to save on ammo) and found out that if Richard shot Yawn one more time, I would have watched a cutscene of him dropping his autoshotty for me to loot. Instead, I got the mask and ran out, getting a cutscene of him screaming and no shotgun drop. Why is that a thing? This is harder than hard mode RE1.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I have been banging my head against REMake (I have restarted to save on ammo) and found out that if Richard shot Yawn one more time, I would have watched a cutscene of him dropping his autoshotty for me to loot. Instead, I got the mask and ran out, getting a cutscene of him screaming and no shotgun drop. Why is that a thing? This is harder than hard mode RE1.

wait what. you let your fellow wounded stars member take on a giant snake on his own while you hosed around in the back with masks and got out there leaving him to his doom? tbf, i never realized you could just grab the mask and leave, i always kill the snake with richard hahah. can you do that in ps1 re? drat this whole time i coulda saved some drat ammo. you barely get any kind of nade rounds on hard. there are tons of alternate cutscenes tho in the game, both ps1 and cube versions, like barry on the balcony with forest and it seems to cover all kinds of players, even the ones who go out of their way to do things in a weird order.

whats harder than hard mode tho? last i checked the menu, only hard was the only top choice.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
After giving Richard the serum, I figured he had enough of the snake and went to sleep. Thanks, Jill, for not bandaging him. I was in no condition for a boss fight and stumbled my way into every zombie, before getting a feel for dodging and aiming up with the shotgun. Protip: You can't aim up with the pistol to headshot zombies like in the PS1 RE games.
I think RE1 Richard just gets murdered while you are away, if you give him the serum.

Invisible enemies are a thing in REMake.

Forest never became a zombie on me in this version and I am not going back to test him.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Vikar Jerome posted:

whats harder than hard mode

ice mode

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Priapic mode, it's as hard as it gets for longer than you want.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Decided to replay RE2make while waiting for a good deal on 3. Still love it, but I'd forgotten how closely it hits my tolerance for repeatedly looping around the police station while incrementally making progress. Fast travel would kinda break the feel of the game, but it sure sounds tempting sometimes with how many times the place I need to be turns out to be approximately as far as possible from where I am at the moment.
How's 3 fare along those lines, is it also a convoluted puzzley design or did they move towards more linearity?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

How's 3 fare along those lines, is it also a convoluted puzzley design or did they move towards more linearity?
Way more towards linearity, but I'm sure you'll be happy to hear that you will get (read: have to) to make one final gratuitous loop through pretty much the entire RPD building anyway.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Captain Hygiene posted:

Decided to replay RE2make while waiting for a good deal on 3. Still love it, but I'd forgotten how closely it hits my tolerance for repeatedly looping around the police station while incrementally making progress. Fast travel would kinda break the feel of the game, but it sure sounds tempting sometimes with how many times the place I need to be turns out to be approximately as far as possible from where I am at the moment.

3 remake has very little in the way of puzzles or backtracking compared to 2

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I usually save in the Club Key room or main hall before Hell Hallway (Leon)/during Sherry's segment (Claire), either before the G-Adult room or G2 depending on how I'm doing, and then before G3.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I can count the amount of times you have to 'backtrack' in RE3 on one hand, and usually it's a 10-second jaunt back down a hall to unlock a door to a new area. Each time features something fundamentally changed too; it's about as linear a game as you can get.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 22, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I can get behind that, I think the convoluted puzzle style has its place but I'm not sure I could handle too many games in a row hingeing on it (especially if I break out RE7 next). I'm generally on board with a linear experience, if it's done well.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What the gently caress was Richard doing in the Shark Tank before meeting Chris? Did he a plan beyond dying to preserve continuity?

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm generally on board with a linear experience, if it's done well.

I wouldn't say re3 does it particularly well, the linear portions of the game are probably the worst parts of it, a lot of mindless uncharted sequences and jarring pacing

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

lurker2006 posted:

I wouldn't say re3 does it particularly well, the linear portions of the game are probably the worst parts of it, a lot of mindless uncharted sequences and jarring pacing

Yeah, I'm starting my third run and my first real attempt at S rank, and it's kind of jarring how much of the game is walk down hall -> trigger cutscene -> walk across street -> get on the radio with Carlos -> etc.

I didn't notice it in my first playthrough because I took my time in the explore-y bits, but now that I'm optimizing it out you realize just how much of the game is cutscenes and spectacle sequences.

I still love it, though.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

veni veni veni posted:

:lol: that is some of the pettiest poo poo I have ever heard. I'd love to see those guys try to play a Battle Royale game as your friends hoover the loot you just thought you were about to grab.

is this directed at me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Disposable Scud posted:

is this directed at me

Lol no you are easily the least bad of the bunch.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Zero VGS posted:

Use the infinite rocket launcher and the STARS book. It’s a cheesy fight so don’t feel guilty about using cheesy methods to beat it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vikar Jerome posted:

wait what. you let your fellow wounded stars member take on a giant snake on his own while you hosed around in the back with masks and got out there leaving him to his doom? tbf, i never realized you could just grab the mask and leave, i always kill the snake with richard hahah.
It's true to RE1 then, allowing the player to be a bad person without commentary. Kinda wish RE games would go back to that, just these little choices that don't even appear to be choices to a lot of players because they're deeply morally compromised and don't trust Barry even just a little.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What the gently caress was Richard doing in the Shark Tank before meeting Chris? Did he a plan beyond dying to preserve continuity?

I just thought the guy was just exploring poo poo on his own and thought he was finally getting somewhere only whoops that's a massive loving shark :rip:

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

JagerNinja posted:

Yeah, I'm starting my third run and my first real attempt at S rank, and it's kind of jarring how much of the game is walk down hall -> trigger cutscene -> walk across street -> get on the radio with Carlos -> etc.

I didn't notice it in my first playthrough because I took my time in the explore-y bits, but now that I'm optimizing it out you realize just how much of the game is cutscenes and spectacle sequences.

I still love it, though.

It reminded me of how I felt playing mgs4(12 years ago christ), the mechanics are slick as hell but it feels like there's barely any room for them in the course of the game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Some fantastic faces in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUFaT9dXPrQ

itry
Aug 23, 2019

1 minute in... :stare:

Edit:

itry fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

itry posted:

1 minute in... :stare:

Edit:

:lmao: I stopped watching a story ways in because I haven't played through, but that was the exact thought I had