Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Is there a better angle than the rear 3/4 shot?

Negative. Also what up blue car quad tip buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Quad pipes are nice. I have quad pipes. ON EACH SIDE

I actually uninstalled these for now, they dragged like crazy. Eventually I'll get this car lifted and go Mad Max properly.

e: also the chrome tailpipes were pulled out a little bit to make them easier to see, when installed correctly they tuck under the door a lot more.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 21, 2020

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

As Nero Danced posted:

Quad pipes are nice. I have quad pipes. ON EACH SIDE

I actually uninstalled these for now, they dragged like crazy. Eventually I'll get this car lifted and go Mad Max properly.

e: also the chrome tailpipes were pulled out a little bit to make them easier to see, when installed correctly they tuck under the door a lot more.

My calves are seared just looking at this.

‘Wanna know how I got these scars?’

Oh Adaira
May 7, 2008

Casual Tabby

Ruse posted:

I was the only delivery:

Beautiful. Congrats.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ruse posted:

I was the only delivery:

I don't think there's a better silhouette on a modern car. gently caress, that's beautiful.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Fastbacks are sexy, a 1969 fastback is the only mustang I would ever own.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I can't get a pic at the moment because lockdown means my car is tucked away and a bit grimy but last year I got one of these:

Merc CLS, I really like it. It does stupid funny things like when you unlock it the headlights fade in blue to greet you, I am simple guy I guess.
The seatbelts also hug you when you plug them in.
These things are important to me.
More seriously it is an awesome car, fast enough for me, flappy paddles and three gearbox modes. It the most comfortable car I've ever had easily and to me it looks amazing, like a 4 door, 4 seat coupe.
It even parks itself, which is odd.

Looks like this inside

It eats miles and has been a real fun car so far

Honestly rhe headlights are the best bit I think, they follow the road, and when you come to a roundabout they open a 'light curtain' so they spread both ways, apparently they hook into the sat nav to do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvUmloyQxlg

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 24, 2020

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Oh man I don't want to know how much those units will cost.

Edit: I get the feeling a broken headlight is going to total out those cars ten years down the road.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dave Inc. posted:

Oh man I don't want to know how much those units will cost.

Edit: I get the feeling a broken headlight is going to total out those cars ten years down the road.

Yeah they are in 4 digits new I think, they are mad, they do a little dance when you start the car up, like a light show
Totally unnecessary but it taps into my inner nerd, the interior has LED mood lights and poo poo that you control via the screen, it's a lot of new tech to me coming from an Audi A4 but I love it all, when I first got it I kept finding new poo poo out all the time that made me laugh, like I have an app that I can check my tyres with, start the car up with and stuff. Can talk to the car too to ring people, it's all a bit much for me and I am certain Mercedes never intended for this, but it makes me laugh, like, sure car, do whatever it's cool :lol:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

opengl128 posted:

Negative. Also what up blue car quad tip buddy.

What year and trim level is your car?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

What year and trim level is your car?

Its a 2018 Premium (400A) Performance Pack 1 car w/ replica PP2 wheels.

Lemme know if you have any S550 trim specific questions!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

opengl128 posted:

Its a 2018 Premium (400A) Performance Pack 1 car w/ replica PP2 wheels.

Lemme know if you have any S550 trim specific questions!

Do you have the manual or automatic? What's the best options/trim combo in your opinion?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Do you have the manual or automatic? What's the best options/trim combo in your opinion?

Mine's a manual.

There's two major trim levels, base and premium.

Base are 300A or 301A
Premium are 400A or 401A

Avoid 300A, that only comes with the tiny radio screen and no drive modes (Normal, Sport, Track, they remap the throttle and steering and shift points in an auto) and a very spartan rental car interior. 301A is pretty solid, gets you the larger Sync screen and CarPlay/AA.

400A gets you leather, heated/cooled seats, slightly better speakers. 401A gets you digital dash on 2018+, otherwise its nicer leather and interior surfaces.

Optional trim independent options are radar cruise, blind spot monitoring etc, this is the safe and sound package. Mine doesn't have it and I don't miss it.

Digital dash and larger Sync system can be retrofitted on any year, it's a little more work on older cars.

2015-2017 is the first gen S550, 2018-2020 is the refresh (slightly different headlights, taillights, bumpers). 2015-17 gets the gen 2 Coyote w/ 435HP, 2018+ get gen 3 with 460HP, higher redline (7400rpm) direct injection, slight displacement bump. 2018+ autos are the very well spoken of 10 speed. The gearing in the manual got tweaked slightly for 2018+, gears are a little longer (so the 3.73's in my car feel like 3.55's in a 2015-2017).

Active Exhaust (4 exhaust modes) got added as an option in 2018 as well, mine has it and I'd never get one without it. I love the flexibility, quiet mode sounds like a Camry, track mode sounds frigging amazing for a factory exhaust. No desire to change it whatsoever.

Magneride is a new option for 2018+ as well. Mine doesn't have it but I've heard great things.

Recaro seats are an option for all years, but not as commonly found as in the FiST or FoST. You lose heated/cooled functionality with these.

Performance Pack 1 gets you larger/wider staggered wheels (with amazing Pilot Spot 4S tires for 2018+), 6 piston Brembos, Torsen diff (3.73 on manual 3.55 on auto), bigger radiator, more chassis bracing, firmer shocks, couple extra gauges. PP2 is all that plus mag ride and wider wheels with Cup 2 tires which are overkill on the street.

I believe all the GT's get track apps (line lock, launch control, some G meter type stuff)

I'd shoot for at least a 301A car, and for me I like the extras you get w/ PP1. If it's in the budget I think all the additions for 2018+ are worth it, but the gen 2 coyote is no slouch either.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

opengl128 posted:

Mine's a manual.

There's two major trim levels, base and premium.

Base are 300A or 301A
Premium are 400A or 401A

Avoid 300A, that only comes with the tiny radio screen and no drive modes (Normal, Sport, Track, they remap the throttle and steering and shift points in an auto) and a very spartan rental car interior. 301A is pretty solid, gets you the larger Sync screen and CarPlay/AA.

400A gets you leather, heated/cooled seats, slightly better speakers. 401A gets you digital dash on 2018+, otherwise its nicer leather and interior surfaces.

Optional trim independent options are radar cruise, blind spot monitoring etc, this is the safe and sound package. Mine doesn't have it and I don't miss it.

Digital dash and larger Sync system can be retrofitted on any year, it's a little more work on older cars.

2015-2017 is the first gen S550, 2018-2020 is the refresh (slightly different headlights, taillights, bumpers). 2015-17 gets the gen 2 Coyote w/ 435HP, 2018+ get gen 3 with 460HP, higher redline (7400rpm) direct injection, slight displacement bump. 2018+ autos are the very well spoken of 10 speed. The gearing in the manual got tweaked slightly for 2018+, gears are a little longer (so the 3.73's in my car feel like 3.55's in a 2015-2017).

Active Exhaust (4 exhaust modes) got added as an option in 2018 as well, mine has it and I'd never get one without it. I love the flexibility, quiet mode sounds like a Camry, track mode sounds frigging amazing for a factory exhaust. No desire to change it whatsoever.

Magneride is a new option for 2018+ as well. Mine doesn't have it but I've heard great things.

Recaro seats are an option for all years, but not as commonly found as in the FiST or FoST. You lose heated/cooled functionality with these.

Performance Pack 1 gets you larger/wider staggered wheels (with amazing Pilot Spot 4S tires for 2018+), 6 piston Brembos, Torsen diff (3.73 on manual 3.55 on auto), bigger radiator, more chassis bracing, firmer shocks, couple extra gauges. PP2 is all that plus mag ride and wider wheels with Cup 2 tires which are overkill on the street.

I believe all the GT's get track apps (line lock, launch control, some G meter type stuff)

I'd shoot for at least a 301A car, and for me I like the extras you get w/ PP1. If it's in the budget I think all the additions for 2018+ are worth it, but the gen 2 coyote is no slouch either.

Thank you for the info dump!

I'm not saying this is gonna happen but my wife has been on board with me getting a new car in the near future. I'd settled on the FiST because I love me some turbo hatchback. But I drove a few Mustangs last year and I've never had a full on muscle car. I'd posted before that I love the 05-09 styling and don't really care for the update body. But when I started looking at pricing the 2015's have dropped in price a lot. And my wife does like the S550, so I know she wouldn't be totally opposed to it.

I haven't driven one but what's the overall opinion on the auto in the 15-17s?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Haven't heard much one way or the other regarding the 6 speed auto. "It's fine" is the most I could tell you.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

peter gabriel posted:

I can't get a pic at the moment because lockdown means my car is tucked away and a bit grimy but last year I got one of these:

Merc CLS, I really like it. It does stupid funny things like when you unlock it the headlights fade in blue to greet you, I am simple guy I guess.

Honestly rhe headlights are the best bit I think, they follow the road, and when you come to a roundabout they open a 'light curtain' so they spread both ways, apparently they hook into the sat nav to do this

The Mercs from the last half of this decade have been real good. I have been in cars with a "cinch" seat belt and it is oddly satisfying. My M3 has "adaptive" headlights that move with the steering wheel around corners and it is really good. Not as good as what you have, and US regulations have made these awesome LED lights like you get in the EU illegal for some dumb reason.

My next door neighbor has an AMG C63. It is rowdy. He just got his wife the GLS 550 this week and it is very imposing. Mercedes has the V8 rumble so figured out. I love it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The Mercs from the last half of this decade have been real good. I have been in cars with a "cinch" seat belt and it is oddly satisfying. My M3 has "adaptive" headlights that move with the steering wheel around corners and it is really good. Not as good as what you have, and US regulations have made these awesome LED lights like you get in the EU illegal for some dumb reason.

My next door neighbor has an AMG C63. It is rowdy. He just got his wife the GLS 550 this week and it is very imposing. Mercedes has the V8 rumble so figured out. I love it.

Yup it is very good, the cinch thing gets people every time, it's fun as hell when a new person gets in - I sort of watch for the reaction :v:
Imposing is a great word for it, it's a real handsome car I think, the CLA looks a bit like it but has an odd tail tat looks squished up, this thing just looks graceful to my eye and very imposing as you say, it's got the E Class floorpan so it's pretty big, there is so much stuff in it (for what I am used to) that I forget a lot of it.
It's a really good car to just drive as well, I bought the car on looks mainly because I am an idiot (I love pillar-less windows and the low wide stance) but it's more than lived up to my hopes, really loving it :)

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Thank you for the info dump!

I'm not saying this is gonna happen but my wife has been on board with me getting a new car in the near future. I'd settled on the FiST because I love me some turbo hatchback. But I drove a few Mustangs last year and I've never had a full on muscle car. I'd posted before that I love the 05-09 styling and don't really care for the update body. But when I started looking at pricing the 2015's have dropped in price a lot. And my wife does like the S550, so I know she wouldn't be totally opposed to it.

Since I'm not sure what you mean by update body, you can split the difference between the full retro styling of the S-197 and the actually good performance of the S550 with a 2011-14 Mustang (S-197 II.) While the big refresh started with the MY2010 cars, MY2010 cars were still saddled with the Cologne and Mod motors.

Also good lord those first-gen Coyote Mustangs are cheap now. So many of these now-decade-old muscle cars will be wrapped around trees soon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The updates they made for 2010, I detest the rear end of the 10-14 cars. It just looks awful from every angle.

Edit: This is what I mean

05-09

10-14

I've never liked the changes they made to the appearance.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 25, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The old one legit looks like a toy version of a real car for children to push around the carpet because it's big and chunky looking. Duplo toy lookin' rear end Mustang.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The old one legit looks like a toy version of a real car for children to push around the carpet because it's big and chunky looking. Duplo toy lookin' rear end Mustang.

I like how basic it looks. The update looks like they were aping the Challenger design.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
We talkin mustang butts?? I love my mustang butt.

Old butt.

Gotta give it up to the notch butt though.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Cage posted:

We talkin mustang butts?? I love my mustang butt.

Old butt.

Gotta give it up to the notch butt though.

New Edge Mustangs are bad rear end.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’ve only had it for less than a day and I already love this car. 2017 G80s are coming off lease and had some hilarious depreciation, they’re a pretty good value right now. It’s no sports car but it gets moving pretty well and will lay down some rubber in the corner if you want it to.

The welcome/puddle lights were a nice surprise.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Steve French posted:

Took a detour on the way to the grocery store today

You inspired me, but the lighting fuckin sucked (totally overcast but like a light overcast, I think it actually might have been better if the clouds were even thicker) and the air quality probably wasn't the greatest either. There's probably some pics I took that could be massaged into being decent but I think I'll just go back on a better day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bird with big dick posted:

You inspired me, but the lighting fuckin sucked (totally overcast but like a light overcast, I think it actually might have been better if the clouds were even thicker) and the air quality probably wasn't the greatest either. There's probably some pics I took that could be massaged into being decent but I think I'll just go back on a better day.

From that angle and with that spoiler the rear doesn't look so bad.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Rhyno posted:

From that angle and with that spoiler the rear doesn't look so bad.

I actually like the flatter rear end of the 09 but the more 1969ish 1/4 flare of the 2010. I do think the spoiler helps though.

I was kinda pissed tbh when they took the GT500 nose and put it on every Mustang for 2013/14 because the 2010-2012 non-GT500 hood/nose was not great IMO.

Regular:

GT500

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That does look quite a bit better.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

That does look quite a bit better.

Glad you're getting a GT500. I'm anxious to see how you like it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

bird with big dick posted:

Where is this? Looks familiar, but can't glean any clues from the plate or the sticker on the guard rail. Near US-Canada border?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

Where is this? Looks familiar, but can't glean any clues from the plate or the sticker on the guard rail. Near US-Canada border?

Donner summit bridge by the looks of it.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

Donner summit bridge by the looks of it.

Steve French posted:

Tahoe area, yeah. Specifically, that's Donner Lake in the background.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Glad you're getting a GT500. I'm anxious to see how you like it.

There's a bone stock (mechanically) 08 GT for sale nearby and it has a hilariously cheap "Eleanor" body kit. And it's only $8K. That's probably my best bet right?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Well you are Rhyno

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
When you can move around again just buy something from the South or West instead of loving around with rust.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Chiming in for buttchat. Went for my first real 'fun' drive in this thing since purchasing it and I'm so happy. It's not like it needed a major overhaul but it needed lots of little things before I felt okay taking it out on a twisty road.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Love that car, and that shot!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
More pics of that beauty please.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Rhyno posted:

More pics of that beauty please.

thunderchonk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Wrar posted:

When you can move around again just buy something from the South or West instead of loving around with rust.
This. Find something and do a little fly-n-drive. Hell find something in Knoxville I'll go look at it for you then pick you up from the airport. After living down here for 10 years rust is just not worth dealing with on anything less than 50 years old.