Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

From what I remember, the sorting hat will also just give you the house you want to go to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Tulip posted:

I remember a person on Twitter being like "I used to think it was so crazy that Rowling built this whole world with like split schools and long term stays and turns out the creative parts are just normal British society"

Early Harry Potter's thing of satirizing British culture and history was really good, like the wizard money being complicated and arbitrary like pre-decimalization British pounds were or how the rules of Quidditch are as impenetrable and chaotic as cricket.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
pretty funny that Hufflepuff is canonically the unexceptional house of leftovers and people gleefully embrace that, "I'm SUCH a Hufflepuff, I define myself by having no true personality and only really existing to serve the Alphas in the story of my life!"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

josh04 posted:

House Protagonist, House Antagonist, House Not Appearing In This Story.

FTFY

JethroMcB posted:

pretty funny that Hufflepuff is canonically the unexceptional house of leftovers and people gleefully embrace that, "I'm SUCH a Hufflepuff, I define myself by having no true personality and only really existing to serve the Alphas in the story of my life!"

Yes, but you've met potterheads, can you really say they're wrong?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JethroMcB posted:

I always forget Tonks was a Hufflepuff. She seemed too... effective. (Until she died off-camera, but not before doing her biological duty and giving birth.)

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

JethroMcB posted:

You have it wrong. Hufflepuffs are high all of the time. They are the stoner house.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
House Hufflepuff is right next to the secret house-elf kitchens that provide all of the meals in the great hall which means you can grab a snack pretty much any time you've got a gap between classes it kicks rear end.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

House Hufflepuff: You're almost the help.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
jocks, evils, fats, nerds

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Hufflepuff is relatable to anyone who is competent but unexceptional and largely views school/work as an obligation you have to fulfill to support the rest of your life that you actually care about. They're only lazy and stupid in the way that you're not a team player for not going to TGIFridays on your own dime with your co-workers as part of your office's mandatory fun program.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

FunkyAl posted:

You have it wrong. Hufflepuffs are high all of the time. They are the stoner house.

It's right there in the name!

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
A very good friend of mine is a potterhead, and when the sorting quiz came out she eagerly took it in front of her Husband to prove what a total Gryffindor she was. Result: Hufflepuff.

She was so angry she put in a different email address and took the test over. And got Hufflepuff again. Needless to say even her daughter bullies her relentlessly about this.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SolarFire2 posted:

A very good friend of mine is a potterhead, and when the sorting quiz came out she eagerly took it in front of her Husband to prove what a total Gryffindor she was. Result: Hufflepuff.

She was so angry she put in a different email address and took the test over. And got Hufflepuff again. Needless to say even her daughter bullies her relentlessly about this.

Incredible

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Especially because quizzes are super obvious?

You see a rabbit in the middle of the field in a hawk is coming. What do you do?

1. I bravely rush in and save the rabbit, with courage
2. I ran over and I kick the rabbit because I'm evil and then I punch the hawk also and steal it's wallet
3. I observe nature and make notes in my smart person journal about knowing things
4. Find a big stupid dumb dumb and I roll around in the grass like a fool (loyally)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I always wondered why the american exchange student wizard didn't solve the wizard hitler problem by going and getting a gun

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah all the questions were like

Question 7: What is most important to you?

A. Bravery
B. Knowledge
C. Ambition
D. Being in Hufflepuff

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

RBA Starblade posted:

I always wondered why the american exchange student wizard didn't solve the wizard hitler problem by going and getting a gun

Fantastic Beasts solves this riddle: every American wizard is a fascist.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

josh04 posted:

Fantastic Beasts solves this riddle: every American wizard is a fascist.

Even Brockway Weasley???

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Harry Potter is a total Tremere.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Yeah all the questions were like

Question 7: What is most important to you?

A. Bravery
B. Knowledge
C. Ambition
D. Being in Hufflepuff

When asked which Muggle you most respect, you would say:

A. Winston Churchill, who courageously stewarded the United Kingdom in its darkest hour
B. Richard Dawkins, who puts matters of the mind above all else
C. None of them, ever; though the ones involved with genocide had some good ideas
D.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Would you prefer:

A. Being loved by your parents unconditionally, assuming you aren't a bastard (dictionary meaning)
B. Being loved by your parents because it's the right thing to do
C. Being loved by your parents logically
D. Being loved by your parents by default.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

RBA Starblade posted:

We know that wizards and witches still use regular weapons because things like Godrick Gryffindor's sword exist, so there's no reason to think that they wouldn't also use guns. It's just that using a gun is the Harry Potter version of being a white dude with a mall katana and nobody wants to be around that guy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The two FB movies have the most hilariously hard turn character assassination I've ever seen with the character of Queenie. It's really quite remarkable.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHxvFGc_kCE

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Hogwarts is incredibly lucky wizards are very unimaginative because normal kids are horribly sadistic crazed animals. If you went into a regular school and thought kids how to levitate things it would be less than an hour before some kid would be flinging their poo poo at people in the hallways

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Hufflepuff is the best house though because the rest are elitist fucks, there's that poem or song or whatever about the founders that's all "I'm gryffindor and I'll only teach brave kids, I'm slytherin and I'll only teach little nazis, I'm ravenclaw and I'll only teach self declared geniuses" and then hufflepuff is like "I'll take anyone" which to me seems like the only acceptable attitude for an educator

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Breakfast Burrito posted:

Hufflepuff is the best house though because the rest are elitist fucks, there's that poem or song or whatever about the founders that's all "I'm gryffindor and I'll only teach brave kids, I'm slytherin and I'll only teach little nazis, I'm ravenclaw and I'll only teach self declared geniuses" and then hufflepuff is like "I'll take anyone" which to me seems like the only acceptable attitude for an educator

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Breakfast Burrito posted:

that poem basically ends with "slytherin left the school because nobody wanted to join in his nonstop calls for race war and, without that albatross around our necks, everything was pretty okay. then the other founders created me, the sorting hat, basically to explicitly identify the racist children; I'm starting to think cordoning them off by themselves for 7 years at a time isn't doing a good job of making them less racist and belligerent"

should've listened to the funny magic talking hat a few centuries earlier, I guess

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
basically all the attempts to make Slytherins not evil remind me of mark rosewater saying 'black isn't the color of evil in magic the gathering; capitalism is a black ideology!' :thunk:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Black is the best color in mtg.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ungulateman posted:

basically all the attempts to make Slytherins not evil remind me of mark rosewater saying 'black isn't the color of evil in magic the gathering; capitalism is a black ideology!' :thunk:

You could do a fun story about 'ambition for good' but that would need somebody not Just Kidding to to write it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My ambition would be to make all the witches and wizards have to get jobs that loving help people

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They can literally summit up food out of nothing, even ignoring that some people still live with food insecurity, you could suddenly have cruelty free meat.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Just loving higher some sort of jack rear end to summon hams, that's like a pretty easy spell, you can just teach them ham summoning, they will summer bunch of hams, you can give them away. Yes it will have some economic impacts, but people could have lots of ham and no pigs would even be hurt

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The philosophical implications of turning a teacup into a mouse are stunning.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pick posted:

They can literally summit up food out of nothing, even ignoring that some people still live with food insecurity, you could suddenly have cruelty free meat.

Let me tell you about how in Fantastic Beasts they decide what Wizard Hitler really wants to do is stop Actual Hitler.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pick posted:

I assumed the magic was just summoning existing food because otherwise why would the school need a huge kitchen and staff of slaves to make food for everyone.

reignofevil posted:

The philosophical implications of turning a teacup into a mouse are stunning.

For me the biggest existential nightmare of the books is how casually mind control and memory erasing is used on muggles by the wizarding world. Like the fundamental concept of consent and individuality just holds no weight on their leaders and they regularly casually just mind wipe people "for their own good". Like they put it on par with torture and murder when it's done to other wizards but blasting a campground owner into a shell of a person over the course of a weekend because they can't be assed to stay hidden.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Trap sprung but they can only move food, not create it from nothing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sleeveless posted:

I assumed the magic was just summoning existing food because otherwise why would the school need a huge kitchen and staff of slaves to make food for everyone.

cuz tthey're loving assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

even if magic can't create food out of nothing, just being able to instantly transport it somewhere could save thousands of lives.