Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm never sure if those yellow and blue costumes are supposed to be student uniforms specifically or just generic X-Men uniforms (like what the Muir Island X-Men briefly wore). It's really weird if the former, like all these people in their mid-20s (maybe later for Kate Pryde?) just condemned to wander around in their school uniforms for the rest of their days.

Certainly makes it easier to program giant robots to hunt them if they all look the same!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Beerdeer posted:

They did that twice. There was a set where only Magik had a decent suit

and then a second set where Rahne and Bobby were the only ones shorted.

talk about two very distinct art styles

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Have they actually been shrunken in size or changed into children in that second image? I take back what I said about the top one: Cannonball is 75% legs and his boots are taller than his torso. I think maybe Art Adams starts at the bottom of the page and works up, and there he realized that he was running out of space when he got to their belts.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I don’t remember Jay and Miles talking about Cyclops briefly dating Colleen Wing. Jean is presumed dead by the X-Men after the incident at Magneto’s volcano base. Misty Knight knows that Jean is alive, but it never comes up when she’s with the X-Men in Japan.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Bret Blevins was the artist in the second pic. His style is decidedly cartoony but it was a nice juxtaposition with the stories being told around then.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Warlock lookin' like the Crimson Chin

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I don't remember Cypher raiding Cyclops' closet but those boots and that visor say differently

RE: Sam's helmet, he didn't have total control then like he does now, right? I seem to remember him blasting well but landing was something he was working on. It may also have been for anonymity.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Have they actually been shrunken in size or changed into children in that second image? I take back what I said about the top one: Cannonball is 75% legs and his boots are taller than his torso. I think maybe Art Adams starts at the bottom of the page and works up, and there he realized that he was running out of space when he got to their belts.

Bret Blevins was a lot better than some New Mutants artists at making the kids look like kids although he had a bad habit of sexualizing them in weird ways.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Beerdeer posted:

Bret Blevins was the artist in the second pic. His style is decidedly cartoony but it was a nice juxtaposition with the stories being told around then.

Yeah, and while Blevins had his habits he was absolutely the right artist to have on during Inferno which was right around the corner.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

the bird boy arc that blevins started on looks kinda rough but after that i love him, especially the inferno stuff. lot of great inanimate objects brought to life by demonic forces in those issues

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

How Wonderful! posted:

Bret Blevins was a lot better than some New Mutants artists at making the kids look like kids although he had a bad habit of sexualizing them in weird ways.

Gosamyr.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Speaking of sexualizing things, I’m up to the Illyana miniseries in the New Mutants epic volume and boy, this is unsettling in a way I can’t quite describe, like either Claremont isn’t quite aware of his paraphilias or he’s very aware of them and trying to figure out what he can slip into his story without getting weird looks:

Honestly, this whole series is weird for superhero comics. It’s like Conan or something. But the narrative of a young kid thinking about how much she desires to serve a bdsm devil guy even though she knows she shouldn’t is not great.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Welcome to reading the X-books, Antifa Turkeesian! Hope you survive the experience!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wonder if all that horny poo poo was part of why I liked X-Men when I was 14. I sure don’t remember any of this pronounced and endlessly varied horny.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I wonder if all that horny poo poo was part of why I liked X-Men when I was 14. I sure don’t remember any of this pronounced and endlessly varied horny.
I think Claremont being able to channel the horny is a lot of why X-Men took off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Probably.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

When I finally got around to reading the Dark Phoenix Saga in trade, like about the first thing we see from Jean is telekinetically turning her costume into a bikini and making out with Scott on a mesa. And that's even before we get to Chris' bottomless thirst for Storm.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m starting his run from the beginning with the forthcoming X-Men omnibuses. I can’t wait to see his thirst from the beginning. New Mutants definitely has a lot of bikinis and people in underwear so far. When Selene kidnaps Moonstar to throw her into a volcano, she dresses her in a bikini first.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

When I finally got around to reading the Dark Phoenix Saga in trade, like about the first thing we see from Jean is telekinetically turning her costume into a bikini and making out with Scott on a mesa. And that's even before we get to Chris' bottomless thirst for Storm.

Like you wouldn't fly around naked in a rainstorm of your own making instead of taking a normal shower if you could.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

When Selene kidnaps Moonstar to throw her into a volcano, she dresses her in a bikini first.

As per the recommended practice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Like you wouldn't fly around naked in a rainstorm of your own making instead of taking a normal shower if you could.

DID YOU KNOW HER NAME MEANS BEAUTY

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

And here I thought I had seen peak Claremont already.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

And here I thought I had seen peak Claremont already.

You're in for a shock if you think that's anywhere close to the peak.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

am I mistaken or was that also the thing where Illyana came back from Limbo and told Kitty about meeting the alternate version of her called Shadowcat as pictured, and Kitty was like "i like that name, I'm gonna use that instead of Sprite now"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

am I mistaken or was that also the thing where Illyana came back from Limbo and told Kitty about meeting the alternate version of her called Shadowcat as pictured, and Kitty was like "i like that name, I'm gonna use that instead of Sprite now"

I think so, it's how Illyana got aged up.

And it's Kate now.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

And it's Kate now.

Aged up.

(After 40 years)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

danbanana posted:

Aged up.

(After 40 years)

No, Ilyana fell into a portal to Limbo as a six year old and emerged as a twelveish year old seconds later in an issue of Uncanny X-Men, the Magik mini series explained what happened to her while she was in Limbo.

Or did you mean Kate? She aged over the course of Claremont's run, not in anything close to real time, but she was at least college aged by the time he left Excalibur.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 24, 2020

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Skwirl posted:

Or did you mean Kate? She aged over the course of Claremont's run, not in anything close to real time, but she was at least college aged by the time he left Excalibur.

Kate's age was pretty ambiguous at that time, to the point where Warren Ellis thought she was significantly older when he had her hook up with Pete Wisdom. If you asked me, I'd say that Kitty was maybe 16? at most when Claremont left.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rochallor posted:

Kate's age was pretty ambiguous at that time, to the point where Warren Ellis thought she was significantly older when he had her hook up with Pete Wisdom. If you asked me, I'd say that Kitty was maybe 16? at most when Claremont left.

Wasn't she about to enroll in college?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Yvonmukluk posted:

God dang, that first Magik suit is awesome. Somebody @ Leah Williams, she's one of the go-to Magik writers right now.

How has nobody ever gone back to it?

It really sucks that it seems like they circle back to the original costume for the new mutants (or at least some kind of uniform, I remember the Academy X days). Or is that just me?

I spent way too much to hang out with her for a night, I'll bring it up.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel like it's implied she was 18 once Excalibur started but I could be misremembering.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rick posted:

I feel like it's implied she was 18 once Excalibur started but I could be misremembering.
She had a 'too young to drive' birthday early on.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Kitty explicitly turned 15 in Excalibur #24 (and 14 in a backup story in a reprint I believe)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

I guess that joke didn't go over as well as I thought...

I meant that a character who has been treated as an adult for 40 years finally transitioned into having an adult name.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/AngstyX/status/1253677809823879169

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Who's that wearing jeans with a tie and blazer? Jean invited the cool science teacher from 9th grade?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Jean invited the cool science teacher from 9th grade?

Isn't Beast "the cool 9th grade science teacher" at the school?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think that might be Forge, so... yeah, science teacher. Well, more like shop class.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He looks like Tony Stark from the Fantastic Four/Iron Man show that was on around the same time--probably animated by the same studio with that trademark stiff, jerky animation style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Speaking of sexualizing things, I’m up to the Illyana miniseries in the New Mutants epic volume and boy, this is unsettling in a way I can’t quite describe, like either Claremont isn’t quite aware of his paraphilias or he’s very aware of them and trying to figure out what he can slip into his story without getting weird looks:

Honestly, this whole series is weird for superhero comics. It’s like Conan or something. But the narrative of a young kid thinking about how much she desires to serve a bdsm devil guy even though she knows she shouldn’t is not great.

I was about 10 years old when I went to the zoo one year for trick or treat someone stuffed this comic into my bag. My friends got random issues of Batman and Iron man so I was confused.

Dawgstar posted:

And that's even before we get to Chris' bottomless thirst for Storm.

Speaking of Bottomless Storm, that series features her skinny dipping and they show her bare rear end so I promptly hid that from mom and dad.