Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Bananana posted:

So, puppy health question.
8 weeks old, has had about 60% of her shots.

Now, the breeder said not to let dog touch outside til fully vaxxed.

Like, not a blade of grass.

My backyard has TONS of stray and local cats pass through and chill all the time. But is closed off from dogs.

Risks of letting her play in my backyard?

- Listen to your breeder, they know more about dogs than you do
- Talk to your vet

I am not taking the blame if you let your puppy outside and they get sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Listen to your breeder, they know more about dogs than you do
- Talk to your vet

I am not taking the blame if you let your puppy outside and they get sick.

Yeah this. Would you be asking the same if dealing with an infant and their shots if the advice was the same? You've taken on a puppy, you're effectively a parent.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Parvo can live in the soil for a year. I think that's the main concern.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
This is a super controversial subject. Some people (behaviorists among them) say that trying to keep puppies in a bubble messes with their development. If you have potentially several thousand dollars to spend on parvo treatment they mostly won't die nowadays but I think something like 10% still do with treatment. Just make an informed decision on it. My personal opinion is it's probably not worth the risk of exposure but you will find some people who disagree.

Here's some info about how parvovirus stays in the environment (written by a vet)
https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&id=4951459

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

DeceasedHorse posted:

About a month ago, my wife and I recently adopted a young dog from a local shelter, and while he is generally well-behaved and a joy to have, he has become much less affectionate with my wife over the past two weeks or so.

The dog—Charlie—is a neutered male poodle mix, about one to 1.5 years old. We are otherwise unsure about his background, other than he had at least one previous woman as an owner and was placed in the shelter because she was unable to care for him. He has been to the vet and is current on all vaccinations and does not have any known health problems. He gets plenty of exercise (1 to 2 hours of walking plus play—he appears to have a lot of energy and is quite athletic) and is rarely alone due to the current global pandemic. He does not appear to be anxious; we have left him alone for a few hours at a time without any issues.

When we first adopted him, he was affectionate towards both my wife and I in terms of wanting to snuggle with both of us equally, spend time with us, etc. However, more recently he has begun seeking my affection exclusively; for example, he will sit or attempt to sit in my lap or snuggle on the couch with me but will not do the same with my wife, although he will sit near her. This is causing her some distress, particularly as this was supposed to be more her pet . Last night, I picked him up and placed him between my wife and I on the couch and he snuggled with both of us just fine, and otherwise does not appear to actively dislike my wife—he will sit near her during the day, play with her, etc. but only if she seeks him out. Conversely, he will actively solicit my attention.

Training wise, my wife and I have been working on the basics—sit, shake, walking without pulling, etc. While we both had a dog growing up, we are otherwise inexperienced dog owners and we obviously can’t take him to training classes right now. The dog is not crate trained and sleeps in the same room as us—we tried to get him to sleep separately, which worked for a few weeks, but lately he will not stop barking if left out of the bed room and, because we live in an apartment, letting him cry it out is not an option. According to his notes, his previous owner let him sleep in her bed and this habit appears to have carried over.

Advice on ways my wife can bond with him more and vice versa? She does most of his training now and we’ve tried having her take feeding duties. Information on the internet is conflicting.

Honestly I think some dogs are just gonna like one gender more than the other, or one person more than the other. I don't know how much it can really change. It might be a personality trait. "My" dog is much more bonded to my boyfriend than me, he spends more time with him so I think that's part of it but some of it I think is my boyfriend having some kinda bromance with him.
Now I'm getting the itch to get another dog. My dog looooves other dogs of all sizes and has a ton of energy which is a bit exhausting for my boyfriend, who he dotes on and hangs by all the time. I'm hoping getting another doggy might help him not be so obsessed with him. I think I'll try to find an adult dog.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
The dog my wife got for herself loves me more and she’s super salty about it. I don’t do anything special, sometimes dogs just like certain people more.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

rump buttman posted:

I’m seeking advice. My parents have a one year old Australian Shepard. This is their 8th Australian Shepard and first time this kind of issue has ever came up. My parents got him neutered about six months ago. Shortly after, he got an infection at the site and was in pain. Some topical and swollowed antibiotics cleared up the issue.

Here’s the problem; he is very defensive about anyone grooming around his ballsack/anus. Like bite me defensive. Sweet dog otherwise. My mom can comb him for hours, but he snarls when that area is touched. His coat is coming in real thick and now poo poo is getting stuck.

My parents have tried every thing their old bodies are capable of. I know I could muzzle/dog catcher/groomer loop type set up to protect my self and get him clean but I do t to traumatize the guy more. Also thinking about hiring a groomer but I don’t want others softer to be risked.

Thank you

You could see about getting this done with a vet under sedation, or even just getting a sedating med like trazodone or gabapentin to try first. I would still use a muzzle if you do this because they can still be reactive. The other side of things is training them to very slowly tolerate more and more stimulation to that area. It sounds awkward but if you can desensitize them to it without actually going through with grooming, like just touching the area, they won't be as fearful that it's going to hurt as they realize that it doesn't hurt anymore. These type of associations can be tough to break and it may just come down to heavily sedating every time it needs to be done. Good on you for not wanting to hold him down and traumatize him more, it will just make it harder the next time if you do this anyway.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Groomers aren't going to be able to deal with a reactive/guarding dog any better than you can. If what you're asking is "do I bite the bullet and get the dog groomed despite the guarding"...that's a tricky question and really comes down to how likely the dog is to develop other health issues due to lack of grooming. If you do decide to get the dog groomed, though, I would strongly recommend tranquilizing the dog before grooming though. My (admittedly uninformed) opinion is that the stress from grooming while conscious and restrained, plus the potential regression on desensitizing, is worse than the physiological stress from being doped. But 100% talk to your vet first.
I'm a vet and you're absolutely correct imo

Boxman posted:

Here's one for the dog psychiatrists in the thread - our dog used to get the zoomies...pretty frequently. Once every couple days, just doing laps around the house. She was pretty young, nbd. This has slowly faded away, except when we give her baths or wash her paws after coming in from the rain. She reliably loses her poo poo completely.

Sup with that?

My dog does this, I think they are just trying to dry off! Maybe it does have to do with stress too.

Holy crap congrats what a cutie!!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dixville posted:

My dog does this, I think they are just trying to dry off! Maybe it does have to do with stress too.

Some trainers think it does have to do with stress/excess energy from stress and it's their way of burning it off. Our dog sometimes gets zoomies after the bath depending on time of day, usually earlier in the day and he will but at night he is (generally) more calm after the bath.

Dixville posted:

Honestly I think some dogs are just gonna like one gender more than the other, or one person more than the other. I don't know how much it can really change. It might be a personality trait. "My" dog is much more bonded to my boyfriend than me, he spends more time with him so I think that's part of it but some of it I think is my boyfriend having some kinda bromance with him.
Now I'm getting the itch to get another dog. My dog looooves other dogs of all sizes and has a ton of energy which is a bit exhausting for my boyfriend, who he dotes on and hangs by all the time. I'm hoping getting another doggy might help him not be so obsessed with him. I think I'll try to find an adult dog.

Yeah, some dogs (just like people) are just going to like one person more than another, my wife really really wanted a dog, I did too but I wanted to wait longer, we got our pup and he became my dog.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Asking my vet, but seeing what y'all think too.

Hello,

We were looking for something to aid in establishing and settling our 8 week old  puppy for overnight. We have been trying to establish the behavioral piece, but the people at Petco recommend NaturVet quiet moments Calming Aid.

It says 1 chew for 26 Lb dog, for use in dogs 12 weeks old and up.

Ingredients  are chamomile, Melatonin, thiamine Mononitrate, passion flower, Ginger, and L-Tryptophan.

Would it be ok to administer a 3rd of a chew to our pup in the evening?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I would really avoid medicating a puppy for being a puppy. Its 8 weeks old, it's going to be hell for you. Just work through it consistently.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, it's mostly like just being a puppy. Why do you want to medicate?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
Yeah you got sold by the pet store crew. Do you have neighbors that will be bothered by a whining puppy? If not, throw the chews in the trash where they belong and just tough it out. Puppies are 6 months of hell (with lots of fun too) followed by 10-15 years of awesome. You gotta come to terms with the fact that you’re going to lose some sleep for the next few months.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
For what it’s worth I adopted a then 8 week old puppy 2 weeks ago. He’s quiet all night now. So quiet I don’t even hear him get up and poo poo on the potty pad, but at least he knows to go there.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I like this info about crate training

https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&id=8569058

It is a little odd they say not to use that supplement under 12 weeks, maybe that was the age they tested it in. You could always hang onto it in case it's needed for something like a mild fireworks phobia or something.

I've used trazodone a few times in my german shepherd mix puppy but not before like 6 months. Just to get him to sleep when he's being wild or harrassing the cat or something. I guess it's not ideal to drug puppies and this is probably something you'll just have to get through, but, sometimes you just need them to sleep. Benadryl might work for this in some dogs, didn't work for mine. Dosing is a milligram per pound and it's generally pretty safe but ask your vet first (some meds might interact with it). I wouldn't try it in a 8 week old though, but when they get older.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My pup has a few pills she has to take at night, and I've taught her that when I say "DO YOU WANT TO DO DRUGS?" she's about to get a piece of cheese so she goes ballistic with happiness.

Please don't call dog child protective services on me.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Medullah posted:

My pup has a few pills she has to take at night, and I've taught her that when I say "DO YOU WANT TO DO DRUGS?" she's about to get a piece of cheese so she goes ballistic with happiness.

Please don't call dog child protective services on me.

This rules actually

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Omg I am tired.

More pics https://imgur.com/gallery/C0n4qhB

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Does anybody have a dog who was diagnosed with IVDD? I'd love to hear some anecdotes. The internet is full of fully paralyzed dogs in wheelchairs which scares me. There have to be minor cases of it too, right?

10yo normal-weight beagle, had trouble walking and was obviously in pain last Thursday. A quick trip to the vet and he had bloodwork and XRays done, but they didn't see anything concerning so they prescribed tramadol and sent us home. Not much improvement until we got home from work Friday to see him in VERY obvious excruciating pain 5 minutes after the vet closed, so we went to the E-Vet. E-Vet asked to see the bloodwork and XRays, which they sent off to their radiologist, who diagnosed IVDD in the lumbar vertebrae. They also told me tramadol isn't very effective in dogs so stopped that and prescribed gabapentin, along with a muscle relaxer, NSAID, and anti-anxiety pills (optional/as needed). He cried through the night Friday but did okay Saturday. By Sunday through today he's been entirely back to normal, movement and energy-wise. We are keeping him from jumping up/down on furniture, and confining while we are at work and sleeping. When it's time to go potty he outright frolicks, he's so happy-go-lucky. I try to get him to stop doing that but I have no idea how! I'm cautiously optimistic but really don't know what to think.

Additional info - he has been holding his tail oddly for about a month, and yelped in pain if I tried to lift it; no conclusive diagnosis other than a pain pill prescription back then, either. In hindsight it seems obviously connected.

During the 21 day rest/confinement period we are re-thinking our living room setup to discourage jumping from the back of the couch to the floor (the fastest route to the back door), probably going to figure out a ramp or pet-stairs for the bed, too. He ignored the last one we tried... Maybe some sort of just big booster step, he might use...

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 22, 2020

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Quick question: there is talk about my family inheriting an 8/9 week old sheepadoodle due to a death in the family. We already have a well behaved dog (2 years old), but my understanding is that you’re supposed to do introductions outside of the current dog’s territory, right? Between New Dog only having one parvo shot and the coronavirus skulking around I don’t want to go too far afield.

We live near a pretty large plot of land that doesn’t see a lot of dogs, but it does have wild life that utilizes it (mainly the occasional deer). Would that be considered too risky? My current dog hardly ever goes on our front lawn, so I can use that in a pinch, but I don’t know if our pooch considers that “hers.”

Also, is it necessary to have the pup sleep in the master bedroom (we have a kennel and some cage extensions) or would it be okay for it to sleep on another level of the house? If I should go for the master bedroom, when is a good age to start moving the dog out of it? I’m totally fine with her sleeping with me, since I’m sure it will be an anxious mess at first - but I want to eventually transition the pup out of my room.

Thanks!

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

I groomed my parents dog! It was an ordeal. He ended up chilling and let me clean him up real good. Going to brush out again the next sunny day. Glad that dude doesn’t have dingle berries, or the beginning of matting. Now I got to get him to chill enough for my old rear end parents to do it with ease

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
I may have asked this earlier but it looks like it got missed.

Our 3 months old german shepherd lab mix seems to have had a good start on crate training, but unfortunately the past couple of weeks seems to be worse now. While she's great overnight (no whining and she can actually hold from 11pm to 5am letting my partner and I stagger and not have to get up in the middle of the night), she is still really much having difficulty settling into the crate when we put her in to sleep during the day.

The difficulty is that I know as a puppy she should be sleeping 18-20hrs a day, but when she's outside of her crate she won't stop and gets the zoomies and starts biting even more worse than she normally does (not just nipping too, she's full on chomped down on my arm and fingers and my hands look like I took razor blades to them). So, we've been trying to prioritize lots of sleep, so our schedule is mostly 5am wakeup to pee, back to bed (which she does fine in the morning), 6am wakeup again for food, playtime till 7:30-8am, back in the crate to sleep (unless she wakes up and whines, then we'll take her for potty breaks), then out of crate for noon playtime and lunch, then back to crate for afternoon nap till 4-5pm for one more play session, then back to crate at 6pm for most of the rest of the night.

Is this too much crate time? If so, how do we get her to sleep outside of the crate? It's frustrating because I have to acknowledge that her being outside of the crate is mainly difficult because of how bad the biting gets when she hasn't slept, so I feel like we're the ones who are impatient. Also, at what point do we transition her to just try and get her to settledown on her doggy bed in the living room? I know she's a puppy so its difficult for her not to just want to run around, but should we be doing something to transition her to know how to sleep outside the crate?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Oysters Autobio posted:

I may have asked this earlier but it looks like it got missed.

Our 3 months old german shepherd lab mix seems to have had a good start on crate training, but unfortunately the past couple of weeks seems to be worse now. While she's great overnight (no whining and she can actually hold from 11pm to 5am letting my partner and I stagger and not have to get up in the middle of the night), she is still really much having difficulty settling into the crate when we put her in to sleep during the day.

The difficulty is that I know as a puppy she should be sleeping 18-20hrs a day, but when she's outside of her crate she won't stop and gets the zoomies and starts biting even more worse than she normally does (not just nipping too, she's full on chomped down on my arm and fingers and my hands look like I took razor blades to them). So, we've been trying to prioritize lots of sleep, so our schedule is mostly 5am wakeup to pee, back to bed (which she does fine in the morning), 6am wakeup again for food, playtime till 7:30-8am, back in the crate to sleep (unless she wakes up and whines, then we'll take her for potty breaks), then out of crate for noon playtime and lunch, then back to crate for afternoon nap till 4-5pm for one more play session, then back to crate at 6pm for most of the rest of the night.

Is this too much crate time? If so, how do we get her to sleep outside of the crate? It's frustrating because I have to acknowledge that her being outside of the crate is mainly difficult because of how bad the biting gets when she hasn't slept, so I feel like we're the ones who are impatient. Also, at what point do we transition her to just try and get her to settledown on her doggy bed in the living room? I know she's a puppy so its difficult for her not to just want to run around, but should we be doing something to transition her to know how to sleep outside the crate?

Way too much crate time. The biting and zoomies are clear signs of stifled energy. You’re focused too much on “puppies need x amount of sleep” rather than what your own dog is telling you.

When you do see her settle on her dog bed on her own, praise/treat to let her know it’s a good place to be.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Way too much crate time. The biting and zoomies are clear signs of stifled energy. You’re focused too much on “puppies need x amount of sleep” rather than what your own dog is telling you.

When you do see her settle on her dog bed on her own, praise/treat to let her know it’s a good place to be.

Yeah we had interpreted the zoomies and biting as signs of her being over stimulated and tired, so thought we should be getting her more sleep, and thus more crate time.

We've been working on getting her on her bed outside the crate and she'll go on command quite often now but just haven't been able to have her sleep or chill outside the crate with us, she just gets more and more hyper and bitey.

So how does a regular schedule go then during the day? Is the puppy just only in the crate for short periods and we just let the puppy fall asleep on her own terms?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I have an older dog with some health issues to the effect that I try to feed him as much as possible every day to keep his weight up. 3 or 4 meals per day, generally - really whenever he wants to eat.

I may be adopting an 8-9 month old puppy next week and would prefer to keep him on the normal 2-meal-a-day standard. I'm wondering if anyone has advice on how to manage that - taking him for a walk when I'm feeding my older dog, giving him a Kong to work on or something... some way to distract him so he doesn't think he's getting unfair treatment.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My four month old puppy is sleeping in our room, but sleeps from about 10pm to 8am straight through. Then it’s up, breakfast, potty (twice to be totally empty), morning playtime. From about 10am until noon she chills on her bed in my office (closed door). From noon to about 1:30 she has lunch and outdoor and playtime. Then more quiet office time in her bed until 3 or 4. Then playtime, then dinner, then playtime again. Then naps (in her crate or otherwise) interspersed with playtime depending on tiredness or zoomy levels, until bedtime.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

cailleask posted:

My four month old puppy is sleeping in our room, but sleeps from about 10pm to 8am straight through. Then it’s up, breakfast, potty (twice to be totally empty), morning playtime. From about 10am until noon she chills on her bed in my office (closed door). From noon to about 1:30 she has lunch and outdoor and playtime. Then more quiet office time in her bed until 3 or 4. Then playtime, then dinner, then playtime again. Then naps (in her crate or otherwise) interspersed with playtime depending on tiredness or zoomy levels, until bedtime.

So this seems very similar to us but with crate time instead of office time, interspersed with backyard fetch and running around.

So I'm confused with all the conflicting info out there. Should I be getting her to nap in her crate during the day or should I be somehow encouraging her to sleep on her bed next to me in the living room?

The latter to us unfortunately seems almost impossible because as time goes on sitting there leashed or otherwise she's either then too focused on us, with even more harder biting and snapping, or she's running around chewing on furniture. The only way she'll just chill next to us is chewsticks but once it's done she's just back to the same. And on top of this we do have success getting her to nap and settle right after we put her in, especially her morning nap, but just some days she won't settle.

Should we try a separate room for her naps instead? Worried this will make her even more anxious as while we cover her crate with a thin sheet, it's still in the living room and main space with everyone.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 24, 2020

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

It sounds like she needs more activity if she's still extremely active, I would honestly give her more activity time and see what that does, rather than continuing to do something that doesn't seem to be working.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I think one difference is that she’s sleeping on her bed next to me - sometimes she gets up and pokes around the office, or chews a toy. If she’s getting too wound up I can tell right away and just take her out to play regardless of where she is on the schedule. A hard 5 minutes running after a ball of playing tug after a potty usually burns out off enough until we get to a more ‘active’ time.

I actually have a question too: despite all the toys and chewer things I’ve bought, her strong preference is for sticks. The vet shrugged about it - is there something less, uh, wood that I can get her? That will leave fewer wood shards all over my house? Like what about those lamb horns they have at our local pet store, or some of the other ‘harder’ chews? Nylabone was a strong miss.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

They have harder woodlike chews, I know our pet supplies plus carried them near the nylabones, nylabone also has harder versions that aren't the weird silicone, unless those were what you were talking about already.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Antler? Our dog loves his and it doesn't really leave any debris.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
We had good success with rawhide imitation sticks (hard chew sticks that can be chewed on for a little bit). You're not supposed to leave them unattended with it as it does wear away to a small piece they could theoretically choke on (though typically my pup's been good about just wearing it away to nothing).

Apparently actual rawhide isn't good for dogs but these are edible. The brand we use is called Earth First but I'm sure there's a bunch of these brands around.

They offer puppy sizes and then s, m and l. Online says you should only let puppies chew on puppy 'rated' chews because their teeth aren't as strong. Unfortunately the full size lasts a lot longer (maybe hour plus of non stop chewing). The sticks I find last 30mn to 45 of focused chewing.

So far it's the only way we can chill with the pup, otherwise she attacks us on the couch or just follows us around nipping at our feet.

Back to my issue of play, we're trying now for a bit longer periods outside the crate and we'll see if there's a real difference in behavior. Lots of resources online seem to characterize lots of biting and zoomies from being overly tired not from being understimulated. So, we'll try both and see which theory holds true for ours.

Hasn't been a lot of consistency though, for example today each time we put her in the crate for a forced nap she fell right asleep with no whining, while other days we'll play with her the same amount and then she just won't settle

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 24, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Sometimes it's the dog being overstimulated, sometimes they actually do have energy that needs to be burned off. I'd caution against absolutes. You really just have to get to know your dog, and be prepared to try different tactics if the ones you're currently using don't seem to be working.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I would love to find something my dog enjoys chewing on. She'll work on a bone here and there but anything else is gone in minutes in the German Shepherd jaws of death. Someone recommended I try yak cheese sticks, and she loved them... For the 32 seconds it took her to demolish. Made all the funnier by the label on them "Long lasting chew!".

This little glutton is getting fat as hell. Add her restricted movement due to heartworm treatment to her never ending appetite and it's a bit frustrating, but I don't mind too much. She should be able to move around a bit more in a few weeks and she was a rescue that was skeletal when I got her so she can be chubby for a bit.

I have to hide all food and snacks because this thing has eaten -

- Entire bag of hot dog buns
- Entire bag of Costco treats
- Loaf of bread

GLUTTON

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

MF_James posted:

It sounds like she needs more activity if she's still extremely active, I would honestly give her more activity time and see what that does, rather than continuing to do something that doesn't seem to be working.

Kind of piggybacking off this, but, can you over work the puppy?
Like, a lot of what i read says that pups can hurt or stunt their growth and dev if you work them more than whats appropriate for their age. But then I also read, make sure you run em around so they get all there puppy energy out.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Usually the “don’t overwork” stuff is referring to not trying to run a marathon with your puppy. Jogging or heavy hiking with a dog under a year old can gently caress with their developing joints and lead to problems later. Letting them just run around the backyard or play fetch until they’re tired or whatever is fine.

E: Also are you doing any training activities? Brain work is super tiring and is also important for bonding and getting to know your dog.

BAGS FLY AT NOON fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 24, 2020

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Medullah posted:

I would love to find something my dog enjoys chewing on. She'll work on a bone here and there but anything else is gone in minutes in the German Shepherd jaws of death. Someone recommended I try yak cheese sticks, and she loved them... For the 32 seconds it took her to demolish. Made all the funnier by the label on them "Long lasting chew!".

This little glutton is getting fat as hell. Add her restricted movement due to heartworm treatment to her never ending appetite and it's a bit frustrating, but I don't mind too much. She should be able to move around a bit more in a few weeks and she was a rescue that was skeletal when I got her so she can be chubby for a bit.

I have to hide all food and snacks because this thing has eaten -

- Entire bag of hot dog buns
- Entire bag of Costco treats
- Loaf of bread

GLUTTON
My dutch shepard crunches cow knuckle slices and other bones to eat them but i get her these rawhide replacement called pork chomps. They last her a long while like 30+ minutes some days. But i actually get the pork chomps and not nutri chomps. She just crunches the nutri chomps because they dont have the give to them i think? Too brittle?

These:
https://www.chewy.com/premium-pork-...jRoCorQQAvD_BwE

Not these:
https://www.chewy.com/premium-nutri...shoCEfkQAvD_BwE

My shepard also is a master of finding treats hidden on counters so they all have to be hidden away in cupboards. She also figured out how to unscrew the lid to a peanut butter jar to lick up about a quarter of a 40 oz jar

Stravag fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 24, 2020

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Stravag posted:

My dutch shepard crunches cow knuckle slices and other bones to eat them but i get her these rawhide replacement called pork chomps. They last her a long while like 30+ minutes some days. But i actually get the pork chomps and not nutri chomps. She just crunches the nutri chomps because they dont have the give to them i think? Too brittle?

These:
https://www.chewy.com/premium-pork-...jRoCorQQAvD_BwE

Not these:
https://www.chewy.com/premium-nutri...shoCEfkQAvD_BwE

My shepard also is a master of finding treats hidden on counters so they all have to be hidden away in cupboards. She also figured out how to unscrew the lid to a peanut butter jar to lick up about a quarter of a 40 oz jar

Thanks. Hahaha yeah I forgot to add the peanut butter jar, she did the same exact thing. It was hilarious, there wasn't too much left to begin with but you could see exactly how far into the bottle her tongue would reach. Spotless clean until it reached that point.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Thanks! Yeah she doesn’t seem to like any nylabone, either soft or hard. I’ll try antler some some of those chews!

This afternoon’s backyard adventure definitely wore this puppy out. Hopefully we will have another hour or so of napping before dinner!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

cailleask posted:

Thanks! Yeah she doesn’t seem to like any nylabone, either soft or hard. I’ll try antler some some of those chews!

This afternoon’s backyard adventure definitely wore this puppy out. Hopefully we will have another hour or so of napping before dinner!

:swoon:

Those paws! She’s gonna be a big girl :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Usually the “don’t overwork” stuff is referring to not trying to run a marathon with your puppy. Jogging or heavy hiking with a dog under a year old can gently caress with their developing joints and lead to problems later. Letting them just run around the backyard or play fetch until they’re tired or whatever is fine.

E: Also are you doing any training activities? Brain work is super tiring and is also important for bonding and getting to know your dog.

Trying to teach her stuff everyday.

Today, a milestone: she went to the door, and started whining to be let out, so she could poop.

I was..

Overjoyed.