Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I hope one cost $15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

ShoogaSlim posted:

e: $13.50 shipped for each 7" comes to $67.50 assuming the series spells out DECAY :saddowns:

Oh my God I am so sorry...

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I thought the second song on the EP had its title mis-authored on Spotify or something, it's so unlike them to have a sentence for a song title, lol. Digging the new EP, although it is probably my least favorite of the three so far but that's because Crossgates loving rips and I wish it was longer than a minute.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

XIII posted:

I hope one cost $15

:biglips:

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Oh my God I am so sorry...

don't be, i know how dumb it is and i'm mad at myself for supporting this ridiculous business tactic, but i can just see myself a few years from now kicking myself in the rear end for not having these seven inches in my collection

Wamsutta posted:

it's so unlike them to have a sentence for a song title

i figure this is their It Comes in Waves phase spilling into their "real" albums

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Yeah it’s very sludgy and ICIW. Not my favorite but not bad. Still feeling like this will be a top tier TAS record for me. The Lucid Dream is unbelievably good.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

XIII posted:

I'd already forgotten about Polaris again. I don't know why, but they just do not stick in my brain.
Eh, it's deffo a "different strokes for different blokes" kinda thing, but for me they're taking over a very specific niche where I'm more likely to hear their output that I am to revisit BMTH, Whitechapel or Parkway Drive's better records. I have them in that same pedestal where I have Architects, Erra, and Periphery basically.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Eh, it's deffo a "different strokes for different blokes" kinda thing, but for me they're taking over a very specific niche where I'm more likely to hear their output that I am to revisit BMTH, Whitechapel or Parkway Drive's better records. I have them in that same pedestal where I have Architects, Erra, and Periphery basically.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, they're one of those bands that I realize are good and I get why people dig 'em, but, for whatever reason, it just doesn't click with me. I really liked Hypermania and thought maybe this would be the album that finally hooked me, but it just didn't connect. All that said, I'm gonna go give it another spin now.
EDIT: goddamn, why can't the whole album sound like Landmine

Very unrelated: Enter Shikari released their new album today. They've basically dropped all their heavier elements (not a new development) so they don't fit the thread, but I know some other people 'round here like them so I figured I'd toss out a heads up.

XIII fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 17, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

drat I used to love Enter Shikari even though their backup growly guy was loving awful

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

drat I used to love Enter Shikari even though their backup growly guy was loving awful

I don't love the route they've taken with their newer stuff the way I loved their early albums, but I'll always support them. I lucked into getting blackout drunk with their bassist, drummer, and tour manager on my 26th birthday and they were just the loving best dudes.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Valid. I mean, we still talk about BMTH even though the last actual front-to-back metalcore record they did was There Is a Hell Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is a Heaven Let's Keep It a Secret and that was a motherfucking decade ago! (Sempiternal was great, but let's not kid ourselves: the metalcore was long gone save for maybe 2 or 3 songs).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think the last album of theirs I listened to was Common Dreads and that was 2009. No idea how their sound has changed since, but I always enjoyed that early wave of electronica-influenced bands like them or Sky Eats Airplane, and Enter Shikari was fairly unique in that their base sound was much less of a standard metalcore formula with added synths like SEA was.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Vermincide Violence, joke deathcore band, released their album The Praxis of Prophylaxis. If you've been watching seasons of Metalocalypse while quarantined, you'll probably get a kick out of it. It rips and is funny. Best track title: Concentrated Injections of Pure Autism

Coronavicerated video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3NnLQv4CZk

Spotify album link: https://open.spotify.com/album/7p8Zh9vSR4VojUar5SpPef?si=iUXRTBmiRTCDBZjTEk2foQ

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Take To The Skies, Common Dreads, and A Flash Flood of Colour are their strongest album, imo, but I don't think any of them are bad. They're just not heavy anymore.

Also, I really like that this thread is more like a group chat with the same 10-15 people who share roughly the same taste in bands vs something like a dedicated fan board or, god forbid, a -core subreddit. Y'all cool.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

XIII posted:

Yeah, don't get me wrong, they're one of those bands that I realize are good and I get why people dig 'em, but, for whatever reason, it just doesn't click with me. I really liked Hypermania and thought maybe this would be the album that finally hooked me, but it just didn't connect. All that said, I'm gonna go give it another spin now.
EDIT: goddamn, why can't the whole album sound like Landmine

Oh man this is SO where I am with the new Polaris album. None of the songs have the staying power like Hypermania and Landmine. (Pray For Rain is at least close.) I find myself skipping a lot of the other tracks. I should give it another full spin too.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Okay, so I think I figured it out. Some of Polaris' stuff absolutely bangs, but too many songs just sound like a generic version of a band I like more. Even when I can't quite put my finger on who, I can hear their influences too much. At one point I thought, "this just makes me wanna go back and listen to Ex's and Oh's by Atreyu" (which, holy poo poo, their albums covers are basically carbon copies). They're just one of those bands, sorta like Silent Planet, Erra, Counterparts, etc, where I could go through their entire discography and put together one album's worth of tracks that are killer (to my tastes).

Also that Vermicide Violence video (and the couple songs I've listened to since) rules

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZnZ-CpX57Y

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Calling it now: this or ETID9 is gonna be my AOTY. With tracks like this, Currents miiiiight take it, which feels crazy to say

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
New Enter Shikari is great, no semblance of heavy anymore, but we all saw that coming with their last album. I’m loving the experimental sound of the record that still somehow harkens back to Common Dreads in its synth lines, just a fun album all around.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Doesn't seem like that new All Shall Perish music will see the light of day anytime soon (if ever).

https://lambgoat.com/news/32996/All-Shall-Perish-reunion-not-happening?fbclid=IwAR2bcTBkKTgsydRWrSHY0SKna5Iz2P0k4UCQAPTo5urYqPRbvt6CmiByItk

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, probably for the best. Very few bands can put decent music when they can barely see each other face to face.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I'm probably just a big dumb sentimental dork but this poo poo's got me on the verge of tears. Banger of a track and it's so good to see these guys back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CdFBfKMAU4

SchwarzeKrieg fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 22, 2020

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
This "Triumph over tragedy!" breakdown callout is gonna make big rear end dudes cry

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Beelzebozo posted:

This "Triumph over tragedy!" breakdown callout is gonna make big rear end dudes cry
6'3'' dude here (who woulda thought that losing close to 40 kilos would mean that I would get like 4 cm taller? Shocker), can confirm. Holy poo poo. :cry:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

It’s a good song

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

idk there's something about the singer so very obviously lip-syncing (like just moving his mouth and not even pushing any air out of his throat so it kinda looks like he's trying) and wearing a brand with "violent" in the name* that makes it hard for me to feel like they tapped into as much sentimentality as they could here. the montage-y stuff of them playing at home and dudes walking on crutches hits the feels just barely. i guess you have to sorta give a gently caress about TGI in the first place to really "get it" even though it's always for sure sad when dudes lose their lives on the road :(

* i get that violent gentleman is a hardcore-adjacent brand and they're probably just supporting their boys or whatever, but just an odd choice for the video/message they're trying to portray

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I was expecting a far more vitriolic post possibly including the words “pussy” and “fuckboy” out of Shoog so that was refreshingly lucid and balanced

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

“fuckboy”

Leave me out of this

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Andy Williams likes to rep VGHC (Violent Gentlemen Hockey Club) so much that he even has their stickers in the Les Paul Custom he finagled out of Ferret Records like 20 years ago with the excuse he "needed" it to record ETID's Last Night in Town.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

idk there's something about the singer so very obviously lip-syncing (like just moving his mouth and not even pushing any air out of his throat so it kinda looks like he's trying) and wearing a brand with "violent" in the name* that makes it hard for me to feel like they tapped into as much sentimentality as they could here. the montage-y stuff of them playing at home and dudes walking on crutches hits the feels just barely. i guess you have to sorta give a gently caress about TGI in the first place to really "get it" even though it's always for sure sad when dudes lose their lives on the road :(

* i get that violent gentleman is a hardcore-adjacent brand and they're probably just supporting their boys or whatever, but just an odd choice for the video/message they're trying to portray

Violent Gentlemen is actually a hockey apparel brand. TGI are all pretty big hockey fans (Kings fans more specifically)

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Jonathan's singing/lip-syncing shots were pretty awkward but, eh. Doesn't detract from the video.

Did we talk about the new Rotting Out? It's fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NG2Y7wyvyg

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
New Trivium is good. They've really found a sound that works well for them these last two albums.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

New Trivium is good. They've really found a sound that works well for them these last two albums.

I was about to ask where to talk about this. Its a really good album, gave it a pass today and plan on listeninf again after i get up.

And thanks goons. Thanks to you , loathe and polaris are in constant rotation. Really enjoying the acacia strain letter EPs.

...didnt like knocked loose though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
For real: I had heard This Mortal Coil when I inquired about Architects-esque bands and it was good, but goddamn did Polaris upped their ante with The Death of Me. When "Pray for Rain" hit me for the first time, it was like that moment when I heard Low Teens for the first time and "It Remembers", "Petal" & "The Coin Has a Say" come one after the other and Every Time I Die went from "band I like but I'm sorta reluctant to claim as one of my personal B.O.A.T.'s" to "gently caress the naysayers, ETID is a B.O.A.T.".

Loathe hasn't had that same impact as Polaris, but I Let It In... is AOTY-worthy material.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Jonathan's singing/lip-syncing shots were pretty awkward but, eh. Doesn't detract from the video.

Did we talk about the new Rotting Out? It's fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NG2Y7wyvyg

I saw them on the TAS tour and became a fan immediately. So much energy.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

l33tfuzzbox posted:

I was about to ask where to talk about this. Its a really good album, gave it a pass today and plan on listeninf again after i get up.

And thanks goons. Thanks to you , loathe and polaris are in constant rotation. Really enjoying the acacia strain letter EPs.

...didnt like knocked loose though.

also try Drain - California Cursed and Rotting Out - Ronin

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Loathe hasn't had that same impact as Polaris, but I Let It In... is AOTY-worthy material.

Still my AOTY thus far, but man that new Currents album seems like it's going to be unbelievable.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
This year is looking stacked for sure. June alone has Protest the Hero, The Ghost Inside, Currents, and Make Them Suffer (also Lamb of God who I haven't been into for about 15 years but still always check out). I completely missed that new Trivium, I'll have to check it out - nothing's topped Ascendancy for me but The Sin and The Sentence surprised me so I'm optimistic about the new one.

Also I didn't realize I Am Abomination were back but they just dropped a new album that seems solid. I'd almost describe them as a djenty Protest the Hero (or uh probably "a kinda Protest-y djent band" would be more accurate). Good stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ5Nc9I0okg

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

2020 is all about Every Time I Die for me, also the Acacia Strain. I am very stoked about Ghost Inside, too.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I somehow forgot that ETID was dropping something but yeah, unreasonably hyped for that too. Low Teens feels like it was a decade ago. The small snippets they've teased are wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There was a riff that Andy Williams showcased that felt like something Matt Pike might dole out and I'm ALL IN FOR IT.