Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Those Paramount packages are weird. And they are pretty light on extra features. Gonna wait for a sale, see if they are good transfers. I’m probably gonna get them all eventually, they’re all worthwhile movies to own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Boywhiz88 posted:

Disney 4K Steelbooks on sale at BestBuy.com

Toy Story’s as low as $7.99!

Oh drat, just the excuse to scoop up Toy Story 1-3.

Still haven’t watched 4, but I’m completely satisfied with 3’s ending so I don’t really feel compelled to.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Shout Factory sometimes takes forever to ship stuff even under normal conditions, right?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

david_a posted:

Shout Factory sometimes takes forever to ship stuff even under normal conditions, right?

My last two orders went through pretty well and had a quick turn around, but this third order is taking awhile and they broke up the order so I got 1 out of 4 movies I ordered and still waiting for notice of shipment on the rest.

I also sell records on the side and noticed that the post office is taking a lot longer to get items into the system. So even if you do get a notice that things are moving forward with an order you might not even know the items are en route nail a day before they arrive (which happened to me with some other items I’m waiting on). It’s just another issue with Covid and the conditions that the Postal Service has to deal with (lack of funds being a big one).

dorium fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 19, 2020

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

david_a posted:

Shout Factory took almost eight weeks to ship an order I placed back in October, so they definitely take their time.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

dorium posted:

Still haven’t watched 4, but I’m completely satisfied with 3’s ending so I don’t really feel compelled to.

I felt the same but 4 is excellent.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

dorium posted:

4's lighting is absolutely incredible

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DeepDiscount has a BOGO sale on Olive Films Blu-rays:
https://www.deepdiscount.com/deep-o...ckId=3077824841

While they've slowed down in the last year or two, plenty of worthwhile releases. Do be warned that except for the Olive Signature line, they generally release bare-bones discs.

The four Betty Boop volumes are must-owns, as they're all from 4K transfers of original elements.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Vince MechMahon posted:

I felt the same but 4 is excellent.

TheScott2K posted:

4's lighting is absolutely incredible

I'll probably give it a watch on streaming before I decide to make a purchase or not. Apple+ does 4K quite well.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

ultraviolence123 posted:

I'm having a super annoying problem. I have a Sony region free Blu-ray player that I use all the time, and I finally just bought a Sony UHD player so I can watch 4K discs. When I use the UHD remote, or the Blu-ray remote, both players turn on, etc. Is there a way to stop this, or am I going to just have to deal with it? I still have my Sony DVD player connected to my receiver, it doesn't do this, only the Blu-ray and UHD players. Is there a way to adjust this? I hate it.

I "fixed" this issue. My video players are all on the right side of my TV, so I moved the UHD player to the left side of the television with the audio players, and it doesn't pick up the signal from the remote this way, as long as I aim the remote at the Blu-ray player on the right. And it's still super obnoxious for Sony to not have a different signal for each remote. This is what I get for being a Sony fanboy. Probably should have bought the LG.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner Archive May releases:

Mystery of the Wax Museum - new 4K restoration with two commentaries, restoration featurette, and piece on Fay Wray
The Reluctant Debutante
Sunday in New York
Inside Daisy Clover
Selena

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 21, 2020

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ultraviolence123 posted:

I "fixed" this issue. My video players are all on the right side of my TV, so I moved the UHD player to the left side of the television with the audio players, and it doesn't pick up the signal from the remote this way, as long as I aim the remote at the Blu-ray player on the right. And it's still super obnoxious for Sony to not have a different signal for each remote. This is what I get for being a Sony fanboy. Probably should have bought the LG.

I mean it’s kind of a weird use-case. But this is also the same Sony that didn’t put a dirt-cheap IR receiver on the PS3 so you had to buy a stupid adapter to use a Logitech Harmony.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

david_a posted:

I mean it’s kind of a weird use-case. But this is also the same Sony that didn’t put a dirt-cheap IR receiver on the PS3 so you had to buy a stupid adapter to use a Logitech Harmony.

And then did the same thing again on the PS4.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Indicator sent out a newsletter confirming their April and May releases are still on schedule. And...

"Today, our currently available Jack Nicholson titles – THE BORDER, THE FORTUNE, THE PASSENGER (Standard Edition), and WOLF – are available here with a 40% discount. Simply add two or more of these titles to your basket, and enter the code JACK at checkout. Offer starts 22 April 10:00 a.m. (BST) and ends 23 April 10:00 a.m. (BST).

On 24 April, our two William Castle box sets will be available with a 35% discount. Simply add one or both of the volumes to your basket, and enter the code CASTLE at checkout. Offer starts 24 April 10:00 a.m. (BST) and ends 25 April 10:00 a.m. (BST)."

http://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk

The two William Castle sets are awesome and region free except for Strait-Jacket in Vol. 2 (if you can't play Region B, Scream Factory has an edition with the same transfer and similar extras).

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but goons here seem to know their TV’s and TV accessories.

I’m looking to get a 55 in. 4k TV soon but I need a new TV stand first. What would be the recommendation for size? One I’m looking at is 49 ⅝ wide by 18 ½ deep, which sounds like enough based on what I’m seeing but the description says it’s only for a 50” TV. Any thoughts or suggestions? I’m trying to not spend too much on this so I can put more into getting a decent TV and possibly a 4K player. Thanks!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Homeybeef posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but goons here seem to know their TV’s and TV accessories.

I’m looking to get a 55 in. 4k TV soon but I need a new TV stand first. What would be the recommendation for size? One I’m looking at is 49 ⅝ wide by 18 ½ deep, which sounds like enough based on what I’m seeing but the description says it’s only for a 50” TV. Any thoughts or suggestions? I’m trying to not spend too much on this so I can put more into getting a decent TV and possibly a 4K player. Thanks!

So, here's my thoughts on this. A few years ago I decided I wanted to start moving away from Ikea furniture, and I bought a bunch of pieces from places like Overstock.

Turns out, not only is it the same cheap manufactured wood in flat pack as Ikea, but it doesn't have the quality of Ikea. If you want cheap, just go to Ikea. But if you insist on going outside Ikea, keep in mind that pretty much any piece of cheap furniture you find online is for sale on pretty much every other furniture site out there, just under a different name, and different price point. I was looking at desks at one point, and found the exact same desk at $450, $300, and $250. So search different sites and look for common elements, and you'll eventually find the same piece.

For me, I'm now just trying to find quality pieces, even if it means that I have to put up with a lovely piece for a while. I'm also in the market to replace my TV stand.

This is the one I have my eye on.

https://www.cb2.com/congo-media-credenza/s559147

It's pretty much the only one that I've found with drawers deep enough to actually be able to put my DVDs and blu-rays in spine side up. I'm just waiting for it to go on sale, or I come into money.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 23, 2020

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Oh I have absolutely nothing against IKEA furniture. I like browsing that store on non weekend days and I really enjoy putting the stuff together. It's like giant legos! If I could go to IKEA right now, I probably wouldn't even be asking here.

The problem I'm having now is it's hard for me to get a good sense of how big something really is and what it will look like based on pictures and descriptions online. I did check IKEAs website and found some that I think i like, but if I don't, returning it would become a pain in the rear end.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you want good furniture made out of real wood buy vintage. Go to garage sales or check Craigslist or go to a used furniture warehouse, depending on where you live. You generally end up with something much more attractive that is much, much higher quality. And if you're able to shop in person you'll be able to get a sense of the dimensions either way, or you can ask an online seller.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Get your dimensions, and use a tape measure to figure out the sizes of things, mock things up with painter's tape, paper, cardboard/etc if possible. My roommate has ordered several 3 tier shelf/cart things only to find out they're about 2 feet tall. Great for organizing ziploc bags, terrible at what she was intending to do with them.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I guess in an odd turn of luck, due to Covid-19 my dad is furloughed from his job for a while so he's at home looking for woodworking projects so I've commissioned work from him. He's already building me a coffee table and next I think may be a new tv stand/media shelf. I just gotta pay for material, but it'll be nice having hand made stuff for all my gear and movies.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

If you want good furniture made out of real wood buy vintage. Go to garage sales or check Craigslist or go to a used furniture warehouse, depending on where you live. You generally end up with something much more attractive that is much, much higher quality. And if you're able to shop in person you'll be able to get a sense of the dimensions either way, or you can ask an online seller.

I'm not too worried about "good furniture" or "real wood". Like I said, I'm a big fan of IKEA. Garage sales and used furniture warehouses would be great if they were actual options that I could go to these days. And it's just a personal thing, but I don't really trust craigslist.

Iron Crowned posted:

Get your dimensions, and use a tape measure to figure out the sizes of things, mock things up with painter's tape, paper, cardboard/etc if possible. My roommate has ordered several 3 tier shelf/cart things only to find out they're about 2 feet tall. Great for organizing ziploc bags, terrible at what she was intending to do with them.

This is a great idea and I will have to try it when I'm getting some other furniture later this year. I've also been in the situation where something arrives and it's much smaller than expected.

I guess to clarify my original question, just how wide is a 55" TV usually? If I order online or walk into a store, what would be a good size to look for to support that 55" TV? I know I can just get a stand that specifies that it can hold up to 70" or something but that would probably end up costing way more than I would want to spend.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Homeybeef posted:

I guess to clarify my original question, just how wide is a 55" TV usually? If I order online or walk into a store, what would be a good size to look for to support that 55" TV? I know I can just get a stand that specifies that it can hold up to 70" or something but that would probably end up costing way more than I would want to spend.

Most websites should have product dimensions listed. I just googled my TV, and the first result was Best Buy, which had the dimensions listed under "specifications."

Modern TVs have a standard aspect ratio of 16:9 so if a stand/mount says it's comparable with TV's up to 70" you should be able to count on that.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I have a question sort of indirectly related to physical media - I used a PS4 as my bluray player, and I recently broke the official Sony media remote I was using. It worked great for the PS4 but never totally worked correctly with my TV + receiver. Does anyone have a recommendation for a universal remote that will work with a PS4? The Logitech ones look nice but it seems like they might not be able to turn the PS4 on without also getting a $30 IR adapter.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Most websites should have product dimensions listed. I just googled my TV, and the first result was Best Buy, which had the dimensions listed under "specifications."

Well this is super obvious and I feel foolish now. Just checked a few on Best Buy and Target and they all show the dims. Thank you much!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
You could also try one of those companies that sell unfinished wood stuff. I did that for a record shelf and the craftsman ship on it is really good and the thing is solid as mother fucker.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

gey muckle mowser posted:

I have a question sort of indirectly related to physical media - I used a PS4 as my bluray player, and I recently broke the official Sony media remote I was using. It worked great for the PS4 but never totally worked correctly with my TV + receiver. Does anyone have a recommendation for a universal remote that will work with a PS4? The Logitech ones look nice but it seems like they might not be able to turn the PS4 on without also getting a $30 IR adapter.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-universal-remote-control/

The Harmony model they recommend with BT built-in honesty doesn’t sound any better than the IR-only model plus the Bluetooth adapter.

david_a fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 24, 2020

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I'm out of work because of the pandemic and I decided to take advantage of the time to really dig into my movie collection, and I've been watching a lot of bonus/special features. I liked Edgar Wright before and had seen all his movies, but after going through almost all the extra stuff for his first 3 (Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World) I think I love the guy and definitely respect his enthusiasm and love for his job. There's 4+ commentaries for each one, and hours of other stuff, he clearly cared about and was involved with the home releases and I feel like I've gotten a pretty comprehensive look into his weird brain and his method of filmmaking. There's also just a lot of really funny bits, like Wright included a terrible movie he made as a kid as an extra on Hot Fuzz, and then made Simon Pegg and Nick Frost record a commentary for it which they are clearly pissed off about, or the commentary for Hot Fuzz with Wright and Quentin Tarantino where they just talk about British cop movies the whole time (more interesting than funny I guess).

Are there other directors who put a lot of effort into the DVD/Blu-ray releases? Or does anyone have any particular releases that stands out to them as far as the extras? I know that certain labels are good, but even some of the Criterions I own are kinda bare-bones. I am also considering watching everything in the Lord of the Rings extended edition set like I did as an obsessed teenager, but there's just SO fuckin much of it... might just do that with The Hobbit extended versions but those movies were disappointing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think The Brothers Bloom and Looper still have relatively barebones releases, but the special features for Knives Out, The Last Jedi, and the new Brick blu are really fantastic because Rian Johnson is one of those guys like Edgar Wright who clearly loves what he does on a fundamental level and he pours that love into his discussion of film. His commentaries are great and the full length doc on The Last Jedi is one of my all-time favorite bonus features.

John Carpenter commentaries are usually pretty entertaining, the only one I’ve been disappointed with was They Live. But I also haven’t listened to it in years, so maybe it deserves a revisit.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
The audio commentary for Conan is good listening with friends and beer, if you want interesting tidbits from Milius and a stoned-out-of-his-gourd audio descriptive commentary from Schwarzenegger that is. Schwarzenegger also seems to regularly forget that Milius is speaking for the audience's benefit and keeps replying "I know" whenever a detail about production is mentioned.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
I find that Schwarzenegger's commentaries are fun for about 5 minutes, and then I just want him to shut up. He usually just describes what happens on screen - the worst of commentary sins.

Speaking of good ones: The commentaries for the Evil Dead films are amazing.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Steen71 posted:

I find that Schwarzenegger's commentaries are fun for about 5 minutes, and then I just want him to shut up. He usually just describes what happens on screen - the worst of commentary sins.

Speaking of good ones: The commentaries for the Evil Dead films are amazing.

Oh it's the worst, but somehow in Conan I find it hilarious.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’m a big fan of Ridley’s Alien commentary if only for all the technical detail that’s talked about. Fight Club has a funny one.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I remember Dodgeball being a pretty funny commentary, but they bleeped out a lot of brand names they said which was weird. UHF has a commentary that is equally informative and hilarious. Weird Al actually gives you the exact addresses for some of the filming locations. I remember the Commentary for Finding Nemo being decent and for having to censor some swear words. Series of Unfortunate events is another strange one if you want to hear the books author Daniel Handler, in character as Lemony Snicket, trash the movie. This is Spinal Tap is another great in character commentary. Eight Crazy Nights is another in character one where they hardly acknowledge its animated. The Santa Clause 2 is similar too where the director acts as tho they filmed at Santa’s Workshop in the North Pole. Those are the ones that stuck with me through the years. Not a lot of good movies, but I used to watch everything with the commentary when I was in middle/high school.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The Spinal Tap commentary essentially functions as a sequel to the movie, it’s great.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

One of the all-time great commentaries is Evil Dead II, recorded at the dawn of the dvd era. I assume it's been ported across the millions of releases the film has had since.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Gravity Falls had secret in character commentary tracks for some of the episodes, but the best was a hidden episode where the main character Dipper finds a photo copier that can copy living things. He photocopies himself so there's like 8 clones running around. The secret commentary is just by the voice actor Jason Dipper who plays him talking about the episode, but as more Dippers show up, so do more copies of Jason Ritter to join the audio commentary.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Splint Chesthair posted:

The Spinal Tap commentary essentially functions as a sequel to the movie, it’s great.

Even the menu for the old DVD is great. As soon as you put it on you can just hear them having a conversation about the menu with Nigel reading the options and being completely confused by the concept of a DVD.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

One of the all-time great commentaries is Evil Dead II, recorded at the dawn of the dvd era. I assume it's been ported across the millions of releases the film has had since.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Evil Dead movies have had multiple commentary tracks recorded over the years, but they're supposed to all be good because it's just Bruce Campbell being Bruce Campbell. The bonus DVD that came with the earlier release of the blu-ray is full of great special features with him and the cast talking about making the movie. It's not commentary stuff it's interviews and behind the scenes stuff and there's some clips of them doing Q+A at conventions.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Even the menu for the old DVD is great. As soon as you put it on you can just hear them having a conversation about the menu with Nigel reading the options and being completely confused by the concept of a DVD.

“Ooh, black.”
“It’s like space without the stars.”
“Ah, that’s beautiful, mate.”

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
UHF has a great commentary, with actors showing up randomly to do the commentary throughout. There's even a part where Weird Al pops up and yells at things happening on screen before vanishing again, like an MST3k visual gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Splint Chesthair posted:

“Ooh, black.”
“It’s like space without the stars.”
“Ah, that’s beautiful, mate.”

Yes!

Franchescanado posted:

UHF has a great commentary, with actors showing up randomly to do the commentary throughout. There's even a part where Weird Al pops up and yells at things happening on screen before vanishing again, like an MST3k visual gag.

The old Ghostbusters DVD had a feature where you could choose to have the people giving the commentary appear as silhouettes on the bottom of the screen like MST3K. I discovered this by accident when I was watching the movie on a PS2 and clicked one of the joysticks and it made them appear. If you clicked the other one it made the commentary come one. That disc also had a really cool animated menu where Stay Puft was walking around and the menu options were on the sides of buildings. I wish they still used wacky gimmicks like that on the menus.