Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Codeacious posted:

I'm looking for more chill games lately. Preferably ones that aren't story focused but have a chill and somewhat engaging gameplay loop. I was trying AC: Odyssey and Tales of Maj'eyal for that but the former has too much dialogue and the latter eventually got stressful in the later levels. I tried Wandersong on gamepass but kinda bounced off the traditional story structure.

If multiplayer is allowed then deep rock galactic is top tier chill drunk coop

For singleplayer stardew valley is peak chillout but I unironically have to warn about getting too into it because it absolutely erased a week of my life and I haven’t gone back to it since I know that’ll happen again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The Fanatical Sanctuary Bundle looks good.

Blood: Fresh Supply
Rollercoaster Tycoon Classic
Sanctus Reach
Walking Dead Season 2
Walking Dead Michonne
Walking Dead 400 Days
Redeemer
This War of Mine Final Cut + Stories season pass

Considering grabbing it myself for Blood and Rollercoaster Tycoon Classic, which I believe are both recent rereleases. The Walking Dead set looks like the next two parts after the free Season 1 from previous giveaways. No idea on the rest.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LudoNarraCon is on, no dissonance required

https://twitter.com/FellowTravellr/status/1253730091672260615
Lotta storygames on sale, people should play Wide Ocean Big Jacket for 4 bucks

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

free pac-man https://store.steampowered.com/app/441380/PACMAN_CHAMPIONSHIP_EDITION_2/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

TIL that there's a group of fans of XCOM who are chuds who really got into it for the "aliens bad humans good" storytelling, and they are FURIOUS that XCOM Chimera Squad features:

- black main characters
- women main characters
- aliens as good guys
- female aliens as good guys
- a nuanced take on what an alien friendly society might look like after a war where both sides did awful things
- "a SJW agenda"

And that's why it has a mixed rating on steam. (along with the other group that are mad because it's XCOM-lite. like. dudes it is literally 10$ they're not trying to rip you off.)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lol I was surprised to see a Mixed rating when I checked a little bit ago but the negative reviews I read just sounded like the people who are expecting a full fledged Xcom out of this game and none of the chud stuff but that doesn't surprise me at all to hear.

Edit: Oh hah there we go...

quote:

Preachy, badly written SJW crap. Even beyond the pushy liberal agenda the dialogue and voice acting is just cringe worthy. Beyond that the gameplay balance isn't very good either. Returned for refund. Hey Firaxis/2K, keep your liberal agenda to yourself or you won't be making sales!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 24, 2020

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Blattdorf posted:

In case you've been holding out on FFXIV's early game to get revamped, they are finally releasing some details about that. There's a live letter going on as of this writing - 13% quests gone, others have a reduced the number of steps required to complete them. Fetch quests are mostly gone. They add gear and experience to ensure you can progress smoothly, and they'll shower you with experience, so your main job can progress further even when you technically reach the level cap for the given expansion. No more forced grinding of sidequests.

You can finally use flying mounts in ARR areas! This gets unlocked automatically once you clear the main scenario for ARR, no need for aether currents.

God ive been waiting what seems like forever for this

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

explosivo posted:

Lol I was surprised to see a Mixed rating when I checked a little bit ago but the negative reviews I read just sounded like the people who are expecting a full fledged Xcom out of this game and none of the chud stuff but that doesn't surprise me at all to hear.

Edit: Oh hah there we go...

lol

I did impulse buy the XCOM 2 complete bundle. Last night. Tell me how I hosed up.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Scott Forstall posted:

lol

I did impulse buy the XCOM 2 complete bundle. Last night. Tell me how I hosed up.

You didn't, XCOM 2 is great.

- Uninstall Alien Rulers to disable that DLC. You don't want it around for a first run.
- Go into the workshop and get the QOL mods like "Stop Wasting my Time - WOTC" and Gotcha again.
- Start a WotC game, it's the full experience.
- Put stupid hats on all of your soldiers
- Have fun!

e: the XCOM thread is real friendly too, ask them if you need help or mod advice or whatever.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 24, 2020

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Blattdorf posted:

In case you've been holding out on FFXIV's early game to get revamped, they are finally releasing some details about that. There's a live letter going on as of this writing - 13% quests gone, others have a reduced the number of steps required to complete them. Fetch quests are mostly gone. They add gear and experience to ensure you can progress smoothly, and they'll shower you with experience, so your main job can progress further even when you technically reach the level cap for the given expansion. No more forced grinding of sidequests.

You can finally use flying mounts in ARR areas! This gets unlocked automatically once you clear the main scenario for ARR, no need for aether currents.

I like what I'm reading.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

TIL that there's a group of fans of XCOM who are chuds who really got into it for the "aliens bad humans good" storytelling, and they are FURIOUS that XCOM Chimera Squad features:
Bought.
Now this is what I call advertising.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

- black main characters
- women main characters
- aliens as good guys
- a nuanced take on what an alien friendly society might look like after a war where both sides did awful things
- "a SJW agenda"

And that's why it has a mixed rating on steam. (along with the other group that are mad because it's XCOM-lite. like. dudes it is literally 10$ they're not trying to rip you off.)

lol of course

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Blattdorf posted:

That sound fantastic. Might have to finally give it another shot. I own all the expansions but haven't touched a single one as I need to beat the base game.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im really enjoying chimera squad

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I will say that it does feel a little Star Trek. The aliens aren't really all that alien anymore, and the banter is pretty Joss Whedon. Personally, think it's pretty fun if a little jarring compared to the prior games and I'm enjoying the banter. The alien friendly society bit would be much more interesting if they didn't just make them humans-but-snake.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I will say that it does feel a little Star Trek. The aliens aren't really all that alien anymore, and the banter is pretty Joss Whedon. Personally, think it's pretty fun if a little jarring compared to the prior games and I'm enjoying the banter. The alien friendly society bit would be much more interesting if they didn't just make them humans-but-snake.

That does sound like a huge pivot compared to the whole “brainwashed bio-engineered vassal species deployed as war machines” characterization of the previous games.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

- black main characters
- women main characters
- aliens as good guys
- "a SJW agenda"

But XCOM is all about diversity?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm buying Chimera Squad on principle now since it both sounds like a fun chill Xcom-lite and gamer chuds are losing their poo poo over it.

I saw the post for installing the qol mods for xcom 2, I remember seeing a lot of mentions of disabling a "timer" in game to make it more relaxed and feasible is that pretty much what it is? A bunch of minor stuff to make the fine details less stressful?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

pentyne posted:

I'm buying Chimera Squad on principle now since it both sounds like a fun chill Xcom-lite and gamer chuds are losing their poo poo over it.

I saw the post for installing the qol mods for xcom 2, I remember seeing a lot of mentions of disabling a "timer" in game to make it more relaxed and feasible is that pretty much what it is? A bunch of minor stuff to make the fine details less stressful?

There are two types of timers in XCOM 2:

- The AVATAR project timer, which is a game ending timer on the strategy layer. If it hits 100%, you lose. You can mod this out, but you don't need to - as long as you run covert opts to decrease it and hit ADVENT facilities whenever you find them, it will never hit 100%. Just keep playing. (That's what I've been told and seen in my own play.)

- In-battle timers that happen on some missions. "Find this doodad before it explodes and turn off the bomb" type timers. Depending on how you want to play, you might want to turn these off. I don't, because I like how they push me to head for the objective ASAP and so far they haven't been too tight.

The QoL mods I'm thinking of are stuff like "remove unnecessary pauses from the game" and "make it easier to tell when you're flanked" and stuff like that. Also unlimited hats.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

Well, the timer is mostly there to prevent XCOM 1's problem of the best solution to almost any situation being very, very slow movement of the entire team in order to trigger enemy patrols one by one. There are mods to relax or remove it if you feel stressed by it but it's not that bad and makes for more exciting missions.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

StrixNebulosa posted:

You didn't, XCOM 2 is great.

- Uninstall Alien Rulers to disable that DLC. You don't want it around for a first run.
- Go into the workshop and get the QOL mods like "Stop Wasting my Time - WOTC" and Gotcha again.
- Start a WotC game, it's the full experience.
- Put stupid hats on all of your soldiers
- Have fun!

e: the XCOM thread is real friendly too, ask them if you need help or mod advice or whatever.

Awesome thanks ✌🏻

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Well, the timer is mostly there to prevent XCOM 1's problem of the best solution to almost any situation being very, very slow movement of the entire team in order to trigger enemy patrols one by one. There are mods to relax or remove it if you feel stressed by it but it's not that bad.

I am really enjoying Chimera Squad's Breach mechanic that's all "let's skip those bounding overwatch slow creep to trigger pods" as a solution. It's definitely a specific feel but it makes sense for the premise here

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Anonymous Robot posted:

That does sound like a huge pivot compared to the whole “brainwashed bio-engineered vassal species deployed as war machines” characterization of the previous games.

Yeah. The Bureau had much more interesting writing in that regard. It's a shame it was saddled with a mediocre game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Well, the timer is mostly there to prevent XCOM 1's problem of the best solution to almost any situation being very, very slow movement of the entire team in order to trigger enemy patrols one by one. There are mods to relax or remove it if you feel stressed by it but it's not that bad and makes for more exciting missions.

I thought it was because once you trigger an enemy they all immediately get to move next and if you arent turtling your way forward suddenly a wave of plasma descends onto the most visible soldiers.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah. The Bureau had much more interesting writing in that regard. It's a shame it was saddled with a mediocre game.

I loved The Bureau. Its a Mass Effect clone and its biggest issues is you have to be really hands on with your team to work effectively but when it works its great fun.

The plasma pistol DLC also made a lot of things much easier then they would've otherwise been.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Filament is really good, even though it almost makes me feel as dumb as Baba Is You did.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

pentyne posted:

I thought it was because once you trigger an enemy they all immediately get to move next and if you arent turtling your way forward suddenly a wave of plasma descends onto the most visible soldiers.

If you're moving slowly, the goal is to catch a pod in an Overwatch Trap. As soon as a pod makes contact with XCOM they will get a free move to scamper into cover, but if your team has Overwatch activated they will get free shots before cover. If you trigger the pod on your turn you probably will not get shots on them before they're in cover

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

pentyne posted:

I loved The Bureau. Its a Mass Effect clone and its biggest issues is you have to be really hands on with your team to work effectively but when it works its great fun.

The plasma pistol DLC also made a lot of things much easier then they would've otherwise been.

Speaking of are any of the other Bureau DLCs worth the 2$ it would take to pick them up?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Overwatch traps are risky because if you use up most of your dudes' moves and some of the aliens still survive, now they get a turn to kill you.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is there an option somewhere to not show games that arent in english? i get things like this in my queues pretty frequently https://store.steampowered.com/app/1189490/_/

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
For the nobody that's asking, Iratus is pretty good and certainly worth the $16 it's priced at for opening week. I was initially thinking it was "okay" but then found myself binging it til 4 in the morning last night. It's... very long, probably too long in terms of each floor's number of encounters, and it definitely has a mortality rate similar to or worse than Darkest Dungeon on standard difficulty, but it makes up for it by having a way to quick-level your minions when they inevitably get trashed. The conceit of being a necromancer running his minions up from under the surface (for some reason, we keep our convicts down below the dwarves) is fun enough and you have to show *some* flexibility with party design as you face different biomes. The uber-tank skeleton I had cruise me through the first layer was utterly dismantled by the second encounter of the Dwarves layer, where hard hits and crits make it really sub-optimal for any one party member to ask to take it all for the team.

...it's interesting. Not as good as DD (but few things are) but also occasionally more satisfying in terms of figuring out various puzzles, feeling a bit more uniqueness from the character classes and the choices you make in developing them. I'm curious to see what the 4th and 5th strata look like as they were held back entirely from early access (which I didn't participate in; I just watched streams puzzling over whether I wanted to buy it before deciding what the heck after refunding another purchase.)

I'd say give it a whirl if interested; it probably won't disappoint. The only downside is that a lot of the classes are "unlocks" so you may not get a full taste of what the game can do within the two hour mark.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

You can get Hypnospace Outlaw, Eliza and Hacknet in a bundle for $24 all-together (or cheaper if you own games in the bundle.. I had Eliza and Hacknet already, so it was $12.74 to get Hypnospace, cheaper than the regular sale price)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am really enjoying Chimera Squad's Breach mechanic that's all "let's skip those bounding overwatch slow creep to trigger pods" as a solution. It's definitely a specific feel but it makes sense for the premise here

TBH I'm buying it explicitly because of this mechanic because I love the idea/aesthetic of it so much. If the rest of the game surrounding it is also good, that's a nice bonus

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Awesome! posted:

is there an option somewhere to not show games that arent in english? i get things like this in my queues pretty frequently https://store.steampowered.com/app/1189490/_/

Maybe this option?
https://store.steampowered.com/account/languagepreferences

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Chimera Squad has van art.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Overwatch traps are risky because if you use up most of your dudes' moves and some of the aliens still survive, now they get a turn to kill you.

The point of overwatch traps is that if the pod makes contact on their turn, they get blasted and then it's immediately your turn after.

Making contact with pods in the middle of moving on your turn means that you'll get like half a turn of attacks on them before their full turn

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
gently caress it, I bought Chimera Squad too. its gonna be an XCOM weekend.

the breach & clear mechanics sound fun

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah i saw that but it doesnt do anything since i have no other languages checked

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Anyone who has ever played XCOM/enjoyed a strategy game and hasn't plopped $10 on Chimera Squad is going to feel really silly when they have to buy it for $20 and enjoy it

I've apparently already put 3 hours into it and I don't know where that time went

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

StrixNebulosa posted:

- black main characters
- women main characters
- aliens as good guys
- "a SJW agenda"

anyone that would use the phrase SJW agenda can safely be told to eff off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

TBH I'm buying it explicitly because of this mechanic because I love the idea/aesthetic of it so much. If the rest of the game surrounding it is also good, that's a nice bonus

It's a great mechanic, but overused. There are some "breaches" where you're just walking five feet in the open, and a fair number that have no options. Doesn't stop it being cool as poo poo though.