Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Sapozhnik posted:

7R endingchat Which is why I'm not too concerned about all the bombastic stuff from 7R's ending. I don't understand how people can be simultaneously overjoyed at how well the development team nailed all the characters, made some really good organic plot changes, and hit the major plot notes of the original perfectly, while being simultaneously appalled that those same devs are about to poo poo all over the remainder of the game with some convoluted time loop nonsense. Because Nomura and Kingdom Hearts, despite the fact that the writer for 7R had nothing to do with any part of KH. They needed a big spectacle for the end of the first episode and they maybe got a little bit too meta with it.

Exactly this. This needed to be both the first part of a multi-part series, but also stand on its own as a FF title. Hence why I’m not too bothered by the trippy final boss fights, because that’s just what these games do. I’m confident the major beats for the rest of the story will happen pretty close to how we remember them, but might be recontextualized. And it’s still totally up for debate, but I’m in the camp that says Zack is still dead and just gets gunned down later on by three grunts while carrying Cloud. They just wanted to introduce the Zack subplot earlier in the story to give old players a proper “what the gently caress” moment, and give new players a “who’s this guy” moment. While we debate the status of Zack, people not familiar with the story will get to know him as this mysterious character from the past and wonder when he’ll show up in the plot proper. Twist: he’s dead and Cloud hijacked his personality!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Wheres the photo of Cloud and Barret hitting that circular door to get out?

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 24, 2020

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Harrow posted:

If they bother with an excuse at all, Yuffie will steal all your materia at the start of part 2 and maybe Cloud drops it all into the lifestream at the start of part 3 or something,

Cloud remembers that Aerith was carrying all their equipment and materia, and they buried her in a lake. Everyone shifts around uncomfortably, and then decides nothing they had was all that important.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Just stopping by to say the game rules, and Johnny is awesome. Also loved Johnny’s dad trying to sell him to you as a possible Vegeta-esque rival.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
*its remake part 3 and cloud and party arrive at the bottom of the northern crater to finally fight sephiroth*

johnny, out of nowhere: “Bro! You’re gonna have to get through me if you wanna go any further!”

*injects himself with jenova cells and transforms into an eldritch horror*

“B R O”

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Sapozhnik posted:

7R endingchat Which is why I'm not too concerned about all the bombastic stuff from 7R's ending. I don't understand how people can be simultaneously overjoyed at how well the development team nailed all the characters, made some really good organic plot changes, and hit the major plot notes of the original perfectly, while being simultaneously appalled that those same devs are about to poo poo all over the remainder of the game with some convoluted time loop nonsense. Because Nomura and Kingdom Hearts, despite the fact that the writer for 7R had nothing to do with any part of KH. They needed a big spectacle for the end of the first episode and they maybe got a little bit too meta with it.

As someone who loved FF7R quite a lot, the only thing I'd have to point out is that, err, spoiler text maybe? Kazushige Nojima has the same role in FF7 that he had for KH 1 and 2 (scenario writer), and was the scenario supervisor for KH3. He's credited for both scenario and story in FF7R, but to say he had nothing to do with KH is kinda incorrect. I don't think that this means Nojima and Nomura are going to by-default gently caress up what everyone loved about FF7 in future titles, but wahey.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I want it to be a running gag that everyone calls Cloud "bro" and he just simmers in resentment

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8cglrsc8GM

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rabid Snake posted:

Wheres the photo of Cloud and Barret hitting that circular door to get out?

https://i.imgur.com/bfIt6ZS.mp4

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/steveofwarr/status/1253336078762696707?s=21

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Cloud fight Shrek next

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Our boys are so brilliant.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Late to the discussion, but I absolutely love how the Stamp theme is just a cutesy cartoon theme most of the way and then just goes full propaganda during the last few lyrics.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Whoo just got the plat trophy

Protip for anyone struggling with Bahamut 2: Ifrit Boogaloo- let Bahumut wail on you a little in the first half of the fight and maybe even get off a megaflare. If you roll him too quickly without taking enough damage, you'll be hosed when he summons Ifrit and you have no limit bar.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Whoo just got the plat trophy

Protip for anyone struggling with Bahamut 2: Ifrit Boogaloo- let Bahumut wail on you a little in the first half of the fight and maybe even get off a megaflare. If you roll him too quickly without taking enough damage, you'll be hosed when he summons Ifrit and you have no limit bar.

but did you remember to Assess Ifrit for the little crown icon in your Play Log :smug:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Brunom1 posted:

Our boys are so brilliant.

Really shows how Jessie/Biggs/Wedge are the brains of the operation

guts and bolts posted:

but did you remember to Assess Ifrit for the little crown icon in your Play Log :smug:

I did not my first time through because I forgot to equip it, so I had to do the whole thing again

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/burningdragoon/status/1252403870703050757

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Veib posted:

Really shows how Jessie/Biggs/Wedge are the brains of the operation

"Well, it's Biggs's plan, right?"
"I had some input."
"... hopefully not too much."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

Late to the discussion, but I absolutely love how the Stamp theme is just a cutesy cartoon theme most of the way and then just goes full propaganda during the last few lyrics.

I also appreciate the reading that the lyrics really do describe Cloud (memory problems and confusion, easily distracted by searching for treats)

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I also appreciate the reading that the lyrics really do describe Cloud (memory problems and confusion, easily distracted by searching for treats)

Also lowkey depression/anxiety ("Even though you bark at nothing when you think you're all alone")

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

PunkBoy posted:

Also lowkey depression/anxiety ("Even though you bark at nothing when you think you're all alone")

In an effort to keep Stamp relatable following the end of the Wutai War, they gave him untreated PTSD.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm just reminded of that great exchange going to Reactor 5.

Tifa: You really hate Stamp, don't you?

Barret: I hate that Shinra would corrupt such a noble and loyal animal for propaganda reasons.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Harrow posted:

Given that they seem to be treating these as standalone games I'd be surprised if they had you carry over all your materia, equipment, and levels into the next part. They'll probably do like Xenosaga and just treat each game as its own separate level/gear/materia progression.

If they bother with an excuse at all, Yuffie will steal all your materia at the start of part 2 and maybe Cloud drops it all into the lifestream at the start of part 3 or something, but honestly if they make some battle system tweaks (like I figure they will) and adjust/add progression systems, it probably won't be that jarring if they just have you start fresh without even acknowledging it. It helps that there'll be at least 2 years between parts so you won't necessarily be ending one part at level 35 and then immediately being back down to like level 10 for no reason five minutes later.

My personal theory? When the gang stepped back into the world after beating the whispers, their materia and gear dissipated and reverted to their original equipment. It's a different timeline/reality after all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

My personal theory? When the gang stepped back into the world after beating the whispers, their materia and gear dissipated and reverted to their original equipment. It's a different timeline/reality after all.

No joke, I had that thought too. Honestly I'd love it as an explanation.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I kinda hope they let us carry over conversation choices/story paths/romance option decisions or whatever, but that's really all I'd even remotely care about. And even if that's out, as long as I still get to pick who to bond with, I'm fine.

e: spoiler text to be super safe?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

I'm just reminded of that great exchange going to Reactor 5.

Tifa: You really hate Stamp, don't you?

Barret: I hate that Shinra would corrupt such a noble and loyal animal for propaganda reasons.

The Reclamation of Stamp is now going to be the central plot of the Remake.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Stamp is new final boss, with his theme playing in the background.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Silent Hill dog ending except it's Stamp

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

It's an absolute trip watching Aerith's VA play through Chapter 8 right now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Have I missed Aerith's voice actor hearing Aerith say "poo poo"

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Have I missed Aerith's voice actor hearing Aerith say "poo poo"

She hasn't finished the Reno fight yet so you're good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

:sloppy:

"Really indeed, Reno, deal with it! :smug: " should be patched in as an Aerith line

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 25, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

From what I've heard on here, FFVIIR is pretty hard?

Reminds me when I watched Vanille's VA LP FFXIII. I don't think she ever finished tht and it's just as well, that game can get brutal and she was not a gamer from what I can recall.

I'm not sure if this lady is one or not. Even games that seem easy to nerds like us are alien to non-gamers so I can only imagine what a really hard game might be like.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I'd be down for watching her, but she has no idea how the punisher mode counter works, and so this Reno fight is painful to watch. I don't know if she'll be able to get past it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

I'd be down for watching her, but she has no idea how the punisher mode counter works, and so this Reno fight is painful to watch. I don't know if she'll be able to get past it.

Lol, bruteforcing via limit break works I guess.

NikkolasKing posted:

From what I've heard on here, FFVIIR is pretty hard?

Reminds me when I watched Vanille's VA LP FFXIII. I don't think she ever finished tht and it's just as well, that game can get brutal and she was not a gamer from what I can recall.

I'm not sure if this lady is one or not. Even games that seem easy to nerds like us are alien to non-gamers so I can only imagine what a really hard game might be like.

Easy mode is an option, but I think she's playing this on normal. She has a strict 'no backseat gaming' rule in chat, so all the yells of 'punisher + guard' are getting deleted by mods.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Because of this I learned that Aerith's voice actor basically came up from Twitch streaming and FF7R is her first major acting role besides minor guest TV stuff

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Relevant: Encountering Aerith for the first time on her playthrough.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
yeah she's a gamer. she'll get through it.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Because of this I learned that Aerith's voice actor basically came up from Twitch streaming and FF7R is her first major acting role besides minor guest TV stuff

it's interesting that they didn't go with a bunch of high profile voice actors. smart move in my opinion, because if they're too high profile it can be a bit distracting. i know i've consumed so much content with Matt Mercer that i'd be expecting Cloud to say "now it's time for tonight's episode of... Critical Role."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Adus posted:

yeah she's a gamer. she'll get through it.

it's interesting that they didn't go with a bunch of high profile voice actors. smart move in my opinion, because if they're too high profile it can be a bit distracting. i know i've consumed so much content with Matt Mercer that i'd be expecting Cloud to say "now it's time for tonight's episode of... Critical Role."

Square is usually pretty good about picking relative unknowns for these games. They range from minor figures to people you don't expect.

You'll hear a lot of the same VAs in other dubbed Japanese games but not FF.